Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I freaked some people out by firing rockets at their apartment because they wouldn't shut up. They tried to kill me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I freaked some people out by firing rockets at their apartment because they wouldn't shut up. They tried to kill me.

Could you somehow see into the apartment? I'm wondering how that works with instancing.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

TheOne posted:

yes it 48 hours real time played online. I believe you can shorten it by getting commendations from other naughty people in the server.

No, it most certainly is not 48 hours of time played. It's 48 hours from the time you're charged, whether you play or not. I played maybe only 2-3 hours tops while a Duncehat and after 2 days it was gone. GTA Online: The only way to win is not to play.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

PaganGoatPants posted:

So where does the Ratloader spawn online?
Immediately next to the Sandy Shores LTS. Spin around the block a few times til it appears next to the circle. Got mine all tricked:

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Visited LSC for the last time in invite only mode and the mechanic gave me quite a bit of money for my troubles. I figure a small amount will go a long way once its patched. I wonder if they'll fix the robbery bug where you essentially do the same thing as LSC but it takes way longer to accumulate GTA :10bux:.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Capn Beeb posted:

Anyone know which deathmatch spawns a baseball bat?

Yay! Now I can smash faces, thanks :toot:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I've mainly been racing online so far and have been having a lot of fun, however: down the drain and the commute are huge pieces of poo poo and I hate them, and how popular they are with muscle cars and sports classics respectively. I feel forced into using the z-type because it's the fastest and usually the winning car even though it hate how it drives and I guess I'm just poo poo with muscle cars because I don't think I've ever won with one. Also both those races hit the poo poo spot between being short enough you can't build a decent lead through skill and long enough that when you inevitably get wiped out you have no chance to catch up again before the race is done.

Dr Geek
Jan 28, 2007
That was a fun party at the apartment, here's some more pics:

Circle jerk

Shower party

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

TremorX posted:

No, it most certainly is not 48 hours of time played. It's 48 hours from the time you're charged, whether you play or not. I played maybe only 2-3 hours tops while a Duncehat and after 2 days it was gone. GTA Online: The only way to win is not to play.

That playing 48 hours thing sounded off whack considering the story missions don't even add up to 48 hours.

If that's the case, I'm fine with bad sport but blowing up cars should be, blow up 30 in 120 minutes, get into bad sport for 8 hours.
Otherwise who cares.
I just got out of one MMO (DCUO) and I'm not really in the mood for another, its just a cool way to kill time.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 16, 2013

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Any chance of this seeing a price drop between here and xmas? I'm really tempted to get it now for the 500k payout, but I have no concept of how hard it is to make that in online rdollars

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

Any chance of this seeing a price drop between here and xmas? I'm really tempted to get it now for the 500k payout, but I have no concept of how hard it is to make that in online rdollars

I doubt there will be a price cut on a GTA game that soon and I'm pretty sure the stimulus is only going to people that played during the launch, isn't it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AaronB posted:

I doubt there will be a price cut on a GTA game that soon and I'm pretty sure the stimulus is only going to people that played during the launch, isn't it?

Yea you have to have played before they hand out the money. And yea I doubt this is going to have sale any time soon.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Philosopher King posted:

500K can be made relatively easily if you stick to people inviting you to high payout missions that are simple and quick.

In theory a Mixed Up with coke run can be about 3-4 minutes(18k), a roof top rumble about 5 minutes(25K), with a few other random high payouts and getting first or second in crowded race lobbies (6K second place, 11-12K first place), its possible to get 100K every 30 minutes or so if you stick to missions. It may end up being 100K an hour if you get all of those inconsistently or fail them a few times.

The 500K is cool but doesn't do enough. So it won't be game changing because about 50% of the people who get it will buy a sports car or apartment the second they get it.

Until I checked online I had no idea I spent 3.1 million of my 3.3 million earned(which is also surprising).

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 16, 2013

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
You can jump onto moving trains :haw:

The open cars near the back of the train can be jumped into even while it's moving, make for great cover, and a good getaway!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Lunethex posted:

You can jump onto moving trains :haw:

The open cars near the back of the train can be jumped into even while it's moving, make for great cover, and a good getaway!

Gee, that's amazing and we're glad you shared that exciting new feature with us

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Mr Scumbag posted:

Could you somehow see into the apartment? I'm wondering how that works with instancing.

No, not at all. I could see the dots and guessed where they were and started shooting rockets into the building blind (I was in one of the little helicopters.). I could tell it was successful from the voice chat.

[edit] One thing about Duneloader spawns. I've never seen any in Sandy Shores proper. I did get mine from just close to where the lost caravan park is. It's on the main road to sandy shores and an army truck spawns close by. It's near Top Fun 2 on the map. No luck with Ratloader though.

lemonadesweetheart fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 16, 2013

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Also the tool tip is pretty small and not talked about much at all, but the stats go down the longer you don't play.

I've only seen this tip when loading up the online from the main loading screen, and haven't seen anyone mention it.

And there is an interesting but annoying glitch where calling merry-weather and Lester at certain times causes you to freeze with a phone in your hand, so you can't do anything but shoot with the gun/weapon you have out or take cover/drive. It disappears upon, completing an objective (such as a round of survival) or dying.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

So I putzed around on Online mode for a while and came to the realization that I have no clue what I'm doing and should play story mode some more. A few hours of GTA 3 at a friends house is literally all the experience I have with the GTA series. :downsgun: My gamertag on Xbox 360 is HPArtsandcrafts just in case anyone wants to watch me fumble my way through this game.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

Also the tool tip is pretty small and not talked about much at all, but the stats go down the longer you don't play.

I've only seen this tip when loading up the online from the main loading screen, and haven't seen anyone mention it.

And there is an interesting but annoying glitch where calling merry-weather and Lester at certain times causes you to freeze with a phone in your hand, so you can't do anything but shoot with the gun/weapon you have out or take cover/drive. It disappears upon, completing an objective (such as a round of survival) or dying.

You can also go to the map screen and it will fix it, happened to me once.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like they should have made it so you don't lose bank money when you die, but you have to use ATM and not phone to deposit monies. I'd probably be able to afford the biggest mansion or whatever is available if I didn't just like to dick around in freemode which means I die a lot.

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
Tons of goons in the LSC parking lot + chromed/blinged out Merryweather Jeep + ignition bomb = Bad Sport Zone.

Was worth it though :colbert: The whole parking lot exploded. It was funny as poo poo.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Coldforge posted:

gently caress that. If I'm racing goons, it's custom cars off, catchup on. Elite racers can eat a dick; everyone should have a chance if we're just having fun.

It's not about being an "elite racer", it's about Mario Kart 64 style rubberbanding that occurs when you're otherwise having a flawless race. 9/10 today I've been out in front as everyone spins out on the first somewhat difficult turn, only to get PIT maneuvered at the last second and put into last place by some dude who should be at least a mile behind me without catchup on. It's poo poo.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

The Duke posted:

It's not about being an "elite racer", it's about Mario Kart 64 style rubberbanding that occurs when you're otherwise having a flawless race. 9/10 today I've been out in front as everyone spins out on the first somewhat difficult turn, only to get PIT maneuvered at the last second and put into last place by some dude who should be at least a mile behind me without catchup on. It's poo poo.

But that sounds like a good laugh.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So, a few notes on my findings over the past couple evenings, because it is vitally important that I share my sage GTA wisdom with the internet:

I. Bikes are really goddamn fun once you understand that you can't just floor it all the time

II. The BF Injection is arguably even more fun

III. If you get out of a personal vehicle and try to save a new one (e.g. some random car you see driving around that you take to a pay and spray) while you have a full garage, there's apparently a good chance that saving this new vehicle will overwrite whatever you're driving (likely your favorite, for this reason), regardless of which vehicle you select to be replaced

IV....

Carbohydrates posted:

Immediately next to the Sandy Shores LTS. Spin around the block a few times til it appears next to the circle. Got mine all tricked:

This Ratloader thing looks great and all, but it's pretty loving disappointing having a hot rod with a giant blower and a dragster exhaust system that still miraculously sounds about as menacing as a '91 Tercel. kinda ruins it imo... Does it get better with engine upgrades? I only had $15k or so in the bank when I got one so I just did cosmetic stuff

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

Coldforge posted:

But that sounds like a good laugh.

It is, but at the cost of loving over someone who did nothing wrong. I fancy myself a good racer and tend to lose at the last second by someone who was miles behind me. Why? Catchup, always.

I do think custom cars OFF is a good option though. Low level racers should have just as much of a chance as high level ones.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

jerkstoresup posted:

It is, but at the cost of loving over someone who did nothing wrong. I fancy myself a good racer and tend to lose at the last second by someone who was miles behind me. Why? Catchup, always.

Exactly. It's probably pretty cool for the dick in second or 3rd that gets to blast me out of the way but all I'm left thinking is why am I even trying to legitimately earn my 50 race wins.

Maybe I should just chill in 2nd and let the game do the winning for me :smuggo:

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
I just got a bounty placed on me. I think I made somebody mad. At a guess I'd say it was the guy from a team deathmatch game. He started on my team and then ditched me because of my low level. I ended up going solo against 2 teams of 2. I killed all but the guy who abandoned me because he decided to camp on a roof. Instead of trying to get up there and getting popped I camped inside the same building for 5 minutes until time out and I won. Why on earth would I fight with him having an advantage when I have the win in the bag? Copped heaps of headset rage and it was glorious.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

The helicopter flying would be so much better if they re-added the control to level and hover your heli.
Why would you remove that?
Hasn't it been in since Vice City?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So apparently my first BS was only for 24 hours not 48 however, it's kind of an obnoxious thing to be stuck in a (usually) tiny lobby of people who're even more likely to be hiding in an apartment or in a tank/buzzard before you get feet on the ground. The only thing that ACTAULLY bother me though, is that you're cordoned off from other players' jobs BUT their invites still hit you constantly, with no way to tell the difference between a job you can join, and a job you're too bad sport to join.

I regret nothing (except missing the message that said I was stuck in BS, before I could dashboard)

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

Well, it seems I managed to piss someone off. My first piece of hatemail.

with a "LOL" on the hidden line, but you get the idea.
The most flabbergasting thing about threats like this, is that the most logical thought process about how you might get banned, would probably include someone checking your recent message history and stuff.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Are race wins needed to unlock LSC upgrades for all types of cars, or do they need to be won specifically per class? I've seen some conflicting information on this and I'm not sure.
Anyone?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Win a race with any car at least 50 times and you'll unlock everything since it's bugged right now.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Class = bike/boat/plane/car. (for now, potentially)

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

coyo7e posted:

The only thing that ACTAULLY bother me though, is that you're cordoned off from other players' jobs BUT their invites still hit you constantly, with no way to tell the difference between a job you can join, and a job you're too bad sport to join.

Thats the only crappy part about this so far.

Coldforge keeps inviting me to a street face, doesn't he know I'll blow his car up.

Also confirmed, you don't have to play the 48 hours.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Oct 16, 2013

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Quick..question? Observation? I've noticed that in everyone else's selfies, their characters are nice and hi-res, whereas mine just seems to be a smooth mushing of different colors. Did I do something wrong?

I'm on XBox by the way.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

SectumSempra posted:

Thats the only crappy part about this so far.

Coldforge keeps inviting me to a street face, doesn't he know I'll blow his car up.

Also confirmed, you don't have to play the 48 hours.

I'm inviting the whole crew, we've got a fun race chain going. You should join, feel free to make things explode.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

gileadexile posted:

Quick..question? Observation? I've noticed that in everyone else's selfies, their characters are nice and hi-res, whereas mine just seems to be a smooth mushing of different colors. Did I do something wrong?

I'm on XBox by the way.

We play on the XBox 360

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Class = bike/boat/plane/car. (for now, potentially)

I don't think plane (and possibly boat) races count for it.

I'm pretty sure anyways. I've won a bunch of air races without my unlocks progressing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So I finally upgraded to the 3 Alta Apt. 57 or whatever, and every time I try to watch TV I get a black screen. The game is still running, but the only way to get out of it is to try to join another session through the 360 friend system (Start does nothing), back out, which has me stuck on the couch, then Start and join a new session. What the hell? I just threw away several grand on a bounty that I never got to see hunted down.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

I just spent 9.95!! posted:

This Ratloader thing looks great and all, but it's pretty loving disappointing having a hot rod with a giant blower and a dragster exhaust system that still miraculously sounds about as menacing as a '91 Tercel. kinda ruins it imo... Does it get better with engine upgrades? I only had $15k or so in the bank when I got one so I just did cosmetic stuff

No, it pretty much sucks forever, but seriously just look at it:

Until I can get a Hotknife, this is the best hot rod in the game. Oh also this:

is getting saved because it's the baddest poo poo ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

jerkstoresup posted:

I do think custom cars OFF is a good option though. Low level racers should have just as much of a chance as high level ones.

I have never been beaten by someone purely because of catchup, it's always some combination of things (mistake I make, traffic screwing me, being too conservative). If that's your perception of it, that's fine, leave the group. No harm done to anyone.

The benefits are too great for me to want to turn it off, personally. Namely, that more people are able to have fun and feel competitive. The really good racers will always tend to win more regardless, but there's more of a sense of possibility for people who aren't as good, and no one ever feels like they've lost the race in the first thirty seconds because they made an error.

• Locked thread