Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Glad I found this thread, there's a game I vaguely remember that's been bugging me for a while. It was on one of those old shareware bundle disks with like 300 games. It was a space combat type game, but it use a Frozen Synapse kind of turn-based system where you'd plan your move and everything would move forward about a second in realtime, then you'd pause again and do another move.

Was it Critical Mass?

The demo you (probably) played was an older version of the final one that's still for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

THE BAR posted:

Was it Critical Mass?

The demo you (probably) played was an older version of the final one that's still for sale.

That was it! The screenshots threw me for a moment but apparently he's changed the graphics since the version I played as a kid. It's weird to still see games that old still being developed (well, sort of. I guess it's still more recent than NetHack's last update).

Vii
Oct 5, 2013

Happy little accidents

oh poo poo, this is it. i've been looking for this for so long. thanks a ton.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
This one is vague as hell, I've asked before but (unsurprisingly) it was never answered.

All I can remember is that it was for either the Genesis or the Megadrive. It was a fantasy game, I think there were multiple characters, and I think it had both sidescrolling and topdown areas. There were definitely sidescrolling corridors you went through, but I'm sure I remember a big topdown library place. There may have been multiple characters (one being a dwarf), I'm not sure. One of the enemies was like a man made of dark blue electricy stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'll never know what this game we had when I was a kid once, but it can't hurt to ask again.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

andrew smash posted:

I'm stuck on one. This was an old freeware or shareware title I got off of AOL or compuserve back in 95 or so. It was a bog standard fantasy RPG with low fi sprite graphics and a tile-based overworld. The only specific thing I remember about it was that I found a note in the game referring to an npc named Jamall and the inventory referred to it as "Jamall note". This has been bugging me for years. If anybody knows it I figure this thread will.

It sounds like Castle Of The Winds, can't remember any Jamall notes though.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

andrew smash posted:

I'm stuck on one. This was an old freeware or shareware title I got off of AOL or compuserve back in 95 or so. It was a bog standard fantasy RPG with low fi sprite graphics and a tile-based overworld. The only specific thing I remember about it was that I found a note in the game referring to an npc named Jamall and the inventory referred to it as "Jamall note". This has been bugging me for years. If anybody knows it I figure this thread will.

Could be one of the Exile games from Spiderweb Software.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That was it! The screenshots threw me for a moment but apparently he's changed the graphics since the version I played as a kid. It's weird to still see games that old still being developed (well, sort of. I guess it's still more recent than NetHack's last update).

Yeah, some people do prefer the old 2D sprites, which he'll send to you free of charge, if you buy it. You'll just have to throw him an email asking for it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TehGherkin posted:

This one is vague as hell, I've asked before but (unsurprisingly) it was never answered.

All I can remember is that it was for either the Genesis or the Megadrive. It was a fantasy game, I think there were multiple characters, and I think it had both sidescrolling and topdown areas. There were definitely sidescrolling corridors you went through, but I'm sure I remember a big topdown library place. There may have been multiple characters (one being a dwarf), I'm not sure. One of the enemies was like a man made of dark blue electricy stuff.

I'm pretty sure I'll never know what this game we had when I was a kid once, but it can't hurt to ask again.

Each one is just sidescrolling and just overhead respectively, but you may be thinking of Cadash or Elemental Master.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Deep one here: there was a mega drive or genesis game, maybe ultimately unreleased in the US, that looked a lot like "Phantasy Star 2." I'm almost positive it was called "Starseed" or had "star seed" in the name. I would have seen a screen cap of this in a magazine in the early nineties but later, maybe 93/94. I was a big phantasy star fan and was surprised at how similar it looked, but was looking forward to it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Deep one here: there was a mega drive or genesis game, maybe ultimately unreleased in the US, that looked a lot like "Phantasy Star 2." I'm almost positive it was called "Starseed" or had "star seed" in the name. I would have seen a screen cap of this in a magazine in the early nineties but later, maybe 93/94. I was a big phantasy star fan and was surprised at how similar it looked, but was looking forward to it.

Star Odyssey. It was officially released in America a few years ago.

TehGherkin posted:

Exile

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 6, 2013

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

al-azad posted:

Star Odyssey. It was officially released in America a few years ago.
Exile

That's totally it! Weird about finally getting released here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This was a browser evolution sim - not flow- where worms and plants and things competed and I think you had some ability to design. Help.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Each one is just sidescrolling and just overhead respectively, but you may be thinking of Cadash or Elemental Master.

Cadash and Exile (The fighting sequences) both look quite similar, but it's not them. I remember the characters being slightly smaller than that too.

Thanks for trying though, guys. Both of those look like pretty fun oldschool games to play at some point anyway, so I'll remember them :)

Afraid that's not it either, thank you though :)

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 9, 2013

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

TehGherkin posted:

Sword of Vermillion? http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vermilion/vermilion.htm

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
There was this PalmOS game wayyyyy back when that was kind of an adventure/rpg where you were a detective investigating some murders where all the victims had their pituitary glands surgically taken out. I think there was some kind of evil magic group behind it but I don't entirely remember. I dont think I got very far in it.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

TopherCStone posted:

There was this PalmOS game wayyyyy back when that was kind of an adventure/rpg where you were a detective investigating some murders where all the victims had their pituitary glands surgically taken out. I think there was some kind of evil magic group behind it but I don't entirely remember. I dont think I got very far in it.
Maybe Arkham, which was developed as a "level" for Kyle's Quest. It's Ctulhu mythos (which means that you're investigating stuff); the game framework/engine is RPG; and there's at least one instance of skull-puncturing. I don't know whether glands were involved (also - if we're dealing with evil magic rituals, wouldn't they be interested in the pineal gland? The pituitary is more commonly featured in sci-fi and cyberpunk).

Does this little guy look familiar?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

euphronius posted:

This was a browser evolution sim - not flow- where worms and plants and things competed and I think you had some ability to design. Help.

Gene Pool, maybe?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is it. I love you. And I can put it on my Ipad.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Here's possibly a tough one:

I can't remember exactly when this game was from but I'm guessing the mid-90s? Possibly Windows 95-era, might be PS1/Saturn too. I don't remember the platform. The one thing I do remember is that you're a robot gardener that plants vegetables in little flowerpots. You could breed two different vegetables (or was it seeds?) in a machine to combine their properties and create mutations to make them bigger, etc. But there was some sort of mechanic where if you deliberately made your vegetables as lovely as possible they'd sell for more?

I'm pretty sure there were vegetable growing contests in it, because I remember one AI-controlled opponent who loving loved pumpkins or something because he'd always submit a pumpkin as his entry even if it was a carrot-growing contest. He'd always be booed off the stage but once it was time for a pumpkin (or whatever vegetable he loved) contest he was drat near unbeatable.

Googling "robot farmer/gardener game" and all permutations thereof hasn't done me too much good, especially since terrible casual farming games have exploded in popularity there's a lot of noise to sift through.

Any ideas?

ed: I think your character/robot had a big wind-up key in his back too, come to think of it.

From a couple pages back--anyone know this? I don't think anyone did.

Also, another one--I vaguely remember this game from a LONG time ago, and I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly, but it was a 2.5D FPS. The one thing I remember about it is that I'm pretty sure it took place in the Capitol and had you fighting security guards and pistol-packing congressmen. Or maybe it was lobbyists. Someone tell me I'm not just imagining this game from a fever dream or something.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Genpei Turtle posted:

From a couple pages back--anyone know this? I don't think anyone did.

Also, another one--I vaguely remember this game from a LONG time ago, and I'm not sure I'm remembering it correctly, but it was a 2.5D FPS. The one thing I remember about it is that I'm pretty sure it took place in the Capitol and had you fighting security guards and pistol-packing congressmen. Or maybe it was lobbyists. Someone tell me I'm not just imagining this game from a fever dream or something.

Duke It Out In DC, a retail expansion pack to Duke Nukem 3D?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Genpei Turtle posted:

Prime Target?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTrYpmm8uQ (This is the best video I could find.)

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Brovstin posted:

Prime Target?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTrYpmm8uQ (This is the best video I could find.)

Yes! This is definitely it. Thanks!

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice
So there's this old demo of a game I remember playing ages back, probably win 95 era. It was a real time strategy game with an isometric view where you created infantry (riflemen, grenaders or engineers) and you could research upgrades to your infantry as well as design and build vehicles. I think you were playing as some sort of mercenary company or something and the one mission you got to play in the demo was some three stage mission with the difficulty of cakewalk. You also got to research upgrades to your vehicles, there were seven or eight categories of upgrades I think and in the demo you only really had time or money to research 4 upgrades. There was chassis, weapons, powerplant, shields and some others I can't remember. Also there was a share market thing you could put money in to to try and make more money.

No clue what the name is unfortunately but I do remember that scout helicopters were pretty good initially and were unlocked at level 3 chassis research.

Psychorider
May 15, 2009

Bobsedgws posted:

So there's this old demo of a game I remember playing ages back, probably win 95 era. It was a real time strategy game with an isometric view where you created infantry (riflemen, grenaders or engineers) and you could research upgrades to your infantry as well as design and build vehicles. I think you were playing as some sort of mercenary company or something and the one mission you got to play in the demo was some three stage mission with the difficulty of cakewalk. You also got to research upgrades to your vehicles, there were seven or eight categories of upgrades I think and in the demo you only really had time or money to research 4 upgrades. There was chassis, weapons, powerplant, shields and some others I can't remember. Also there was a share market thing you could put money in to to try and make more money.

No clue what the name is unfortunately but I do remember that scout helicopters were pretty good initially and were unlocked at level 3 chassis research.

I'm pretty sure that is War inc.. I probably played the same demo as you and I never heard anything about the game ever again after that.

Bobsedgws
Jun 12, 2009
College Slice

Psychorider posted:

I'm pretty sure that is War inc.. I probably played the same demo as you and I never heard anything about the game ever again after that.

Yep that looks like it, thanks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers that demo fondly.

I looked it up a while ago but was unable to track down the game itself.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

So there's a PC game I've spent over a decade trying to remember, it was a demo I plaved that came with a PC magazine my dad used to buy and I can only ballpark the year as being mid to late 90s. Since it was a demo I played it might not have ever even come out.

As for the game itself, it was a first person dungeon crawler and the main character may have been a woman, that just sounds right to me. The demo level had you exploring a dungeon area and fighting some mooks who ork-esque, but near the end there was a part where you could feed a mouse some cheese which unlocked a secret. In the room afterwards the grey dungeon aesthetic changed into a more grim and kind of gross red and you were faced with the boss of the demo, a weird freaky bandit guy who jumped around and threw bombs at you.

That's all I remember, I've never been able to find it since.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ Can't help but now the tables are turned - what's the game your avatar is from? Is it one of the Phoenix Wrights, or something like Jake Hunter? I should drat well know this but the background is throwing me

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

baka kaba posted:

^^^ Can't help but now the tables are turned - what's the game your avatar is from? Is it one of the Phoenix Wrights, or something like Jake Hunter? I should drat well know this but the background is throwing me

It's a Snatcher reference.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

It's Detective Badd's head from Ace Attorney Investigations on the body of Gillian Seed from SNATCHER.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Ohhhhhh right, that's the one. Lookin' smooth

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Satanos posted:

So there's a PC game I've spent over a decade trying to remember, it was a demo I plaved that came with a PC magazine my dad used to buy and I can only ballpark the year as being mid to late 90s. Since it was a demo I played it might not have ever even come out.

As for the game itself, it was a first person dungeon crawler and the main character may have been a woman, that just sounds right to me. The demo level had you exploring a dungeon area and fighting some mooks who ork-esque, but near the end there was a part where you could feed a mouse some cheese which unlocked a secret. In the room afterwards the grey dungeon aesthetic changed into a more grim and kind of gross red and you were faced with the boss of the demo, a weird freaky bandit guy who jumped around and threw bombs at you.

That's all I remember, I've never been able to find it since.

I remember playing a similar demo. Is it Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

First played it on a PC Gamer or Computer Gaming World demo disc in the late 90s, probably 98-99. It was an isometric game with 2D graphics, and you were a UFO flying around and your goal was to abduct farmers and cows, the farmers would try to shoot at you with shotguns. That's about all I can remember. Any idea?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on my own, it's Crop Circles: Escape From Planet 3. Terrible garbage shareware game I remember playing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 14, 2013

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

al-azad posted:

I remember playing a similar demo. Is it Hexx: Heresy of the Wizard?

Doesn't look right but I'll download it and give it a shot. I believe it was polygonal 3D.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I remember playing a game on my Macintosh as a kid in the early 90's. I think it had many different games or videos to watch. Two things I remember about it is watching a video of strange simply drawn creatures that had heads with an 'm' shape or conversely a 'w' shape and they would make my interlocking their heads. Also there was a game where two men sat opposite each other at computers each controlling a disk that would roll around a track above them. There were buttons to change the shape of the track from two circles to a figure 8 and back again. Powerups would spawn inside the track that could be shot to gain access to different guns like machine gun, cannon, big pirate fireblaster thing that you shoot from the disk. The objective of the game was to shoot the opposing players disk. I'm not sure if those descriptions made any sense, and maybe they are two separate games! I was pretty young when I was playing this.

Edit: I found the name of the weird game with many different activites: Rodney's Wonder Window. The rail shooter game seems to be a different thing entirely and I'd like to know the name of it.

Edit2: The other game was MovoD II

barkbell fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 14, 2013

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Satanos posted:

So there's a PC game I've spent over a decade trying to remember...

I've never actually played it and it's probably not it, but the first thing that comes to mind with 90s + dungeons + woman + polygonal 3D is "Deathtrap Dungeon".

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Back in kindergarten, there was a Commodore 64 game that everyone adored. You were a penguin and dogs would order ice cream cones and you'd swim out to the ice cream floes going across the screen and pick the right scoops in the right order. Here's how much I want to know the name of this game - I went back to my kindergarten teacher 20 years later and asked. She didn't remember it.

There was another one, also on Commodore 64, where you were this blue robot thing, connected to a sort of armature that moved you up, down, left and right and had to copy a design by dragging the corresponding shapes to the right place and possibly coloring them. I can't for the life of me remember much more.

Both were controlled by the joystick exclusively to my knowledge.

The third game I do remember, was the most popular in my kindergarten class was called Alf in the Color Caves. It might have some relation to the other 2 games, if that helps!

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Those sound like Coney Island and Shape Shop, respectively.

Here's a Youtube clip featuring both those games.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

westborn posted:

I've never actually played it and it's probably not it, but the first thing that comes to mind with 90s + dungeons + woman + polygonal 3D is "Deathtrap Dungeon".

Afraid not, but someone did just find it for me. It's an old adventure game for both PC and PS1 called "Excalibur 2555 AD". Apparently you play as Merlin's apprentice and go to the future to track down time traveling bandits who've stolen Excalibur (maybe???).

4 minutes and 20 seconds in is the exact moment I was referring to in my hazy memory, where you find the mouse with some cheese. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZQmgGYo9g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That basically looks like a Deathtrap Dungeon clone, though. Why would someone want to make one of those? :gonk: