Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Can't complain about cliffhangers when they're "shithead characters about to get their shitheads ruined" cliffhangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Gamzee's toying with her. That mother fucker.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

snucks posted:

Can't complain about cliffhangers when they're "shithead characters about to get their shitheads ruined" cliffhangers.

You can when a cliffhanger means they're probably not going to get their poo poo heads ruined :negative:

Still, that ended a little neater than I expected it to, I guess.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Like I said: Jake doesn't know Gamzee's a villain or that Terezi's a good guy. Or, at least, he didn't. Pretty sure he just twigged something was up, before he got zapped out of frame like some sort of pantsless member of Team Rocket.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Everyone was worried that Terezi was either going to die to inspire Karkat, or end up needing to get saved by Karkat. It looks like Hussie went with option three for the time being.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

snucks posted:

Can't complain about cliffhangers when they're leading into Homosuck.

Fixed this for you. Anyone who claims they care otherwise is lying.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Midnight Raider posted:

Everyone was worried that Terezi was either going to die to inspire Karkat, or end up needing to get saved by Karkat. It looks like Hussie went with option three for the time being.

If one of the options is "Gamzee continues to be a lovely troll clown", that's probably a safe bet.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
It's the much vaunted but rarely attempted Inverse Butch Cassidy Shower of Bastards, with Condy taking the role of the entire Mexican army. Jesus Christ Pantokrator, will somebody not put a stop to this madness?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Too busy enjoying that Rose is no longer staring off into space. Jake getting hit or not, it's fantastic to her back in action.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
I can safely say that this is the first time I've been happy to see the Condesce.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Cthulhuchan posted:

If one of the options is "Gamzee continues to be a lovely troll clown", that's probably a safe bet.

Oh, the Condesce will probably promote him to Prime Minister of Amusing War Crimes or something. He's everything she's looking for.

E: Mini-Skaia got submerged in lava. :ohdear: What will this mean?

EmperorFritoBandito fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Oct 16, 2013

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Oh, the Condesce will probably promote him to Prime Minister of Amusing War Crimes or something. He's everything she's looking for.

E: Mini-Skaia got submerged in lava. :ohdear: What will this mean?

Can somebody remind me, is the Mini Skaia bit of the fork a Significant Artifact or is it just decorative?

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Oxxidation posted:

And trust me, it could be worse. During the Horrorstuck interlude, Homestuck updates were basically heroin to a lot of people because poo poo was just that real and Hussie was posting up to 40 new pages per day. Now that nearly everyone is immortal and/or stupid, we can't recapture those dizzying highs.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > MSPaint Adventures - Homestuck: Everyone is immortal and/or stupid

Also despite everyone being immortal and/or stupid this update managed to be pretty tense so there's that I guess!!!

The visuals of the fork-Skaia sinking into the lava is pretty good at suggesting some great doom to come, the reveal that Gamzee didn't kill Terezi was relieving, and in one of the clouds Jack and PM appear to be flapping toward a questbed where they are presumably going to try to resurrect Jade.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
And I just now realized the literal implications of Jake asking for Terezi's release. :allears:

Courtyard Droll is no longer the character most likely to kill you by accident.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

And I just now realized the literal implications of Jake asking for Terezi's release. :allears:

Courtyard Droll is no longer the character most likely to kill you by accident.
Who did he kill by accident? One of the Felt?

Jacks had CD kill both Jade and Jake.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bell_ posted:

Jacks had CD kill both Jade and Jake.

He means asking to let someone go when they're being held over something deadly by a clown is an incredibly bad idea.

Also, gently caress off Caliborn! Nobody wants to see your poo poo right now!

So Terezi's not dying right this second. Is gamzee going to whisk her away for a later rescuing? This'd be a good time for him to join Team Condesce.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Ramos posted:

Too busy enjoying that Rose is no longer staring off into space. Jake getting hit or not, it's fantastic to her back in action.

Jake getting hit is definitely the best part of Rose being back in action.

Also it looks like the Mini-Skaia thing was actually the real Skaia shrunken down and stuck on a fork. That could be bad as far as the whole "fixing everything" plan goes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

So, uh, what are fuscia blood powers? The only thing special we ever saw Feferi do (that wasn't a life power, which would be a different symbol) was deal with her lusus, but that's back on Earth... I think.

I suppose mind-controlled-Jade might have done something while she was near Earth...

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Guys I think Gamzee might be evil.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I think this update really hammered home the fact that i don't care that much about Homestuck anymore. Lots of things are happening, but none of them matter because nothing is actually at stake and at the end of the day it will probably not move the actual plot forwards, as Hussie instead opts to pile on several more layers of meta until he has vanished so far up his own rear end that he becomes a human Klein bottle.

I'm actually pretty sad about this because i really WANT to still like Homestuck, but now i feel like i'm just reading it because i want it to end already. :sigh:

Which i guess is kind of a dumb and whiny thing to feel because ~MY ENTITLEMENT TO FREE ENTERTAINMENT~ so i'll shut up about it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Karkat never got a better weapon than the Homes Smell ya Later? Then it must be THAT good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dorroile posted:

I think this update really hammered home the fact that i don't care that much about Homestuck anymore. Lots of things are happening, but none of them matter because nothing is actually at stake and at the end of the day it will probably not move the actual plot forwards, as Hussie instead opts to pile on several more layers of meta until he has vanished so far up his own rear end that he becomes a human Klein bottle.

I'm actually pretty sad about this because i really WANT to still like Homestuck, but now i feel like i'm just reading it because i want it to end already. :sigh:

I'm basically in the same boat but at least we get to see Rose do something (And Jake eat a big blast of SPELL for it) and hey Karkat and Kanaya threatened to do something! So cool poo poo is coming soon. Maybe. THough this really does make it feel like Hussie's just throwing everything together in a really haphazard way to create a climax. Next John will pop up, the sprites will be there, Jack English, SS and crew will pop out of a sewer grate, MobsterKingpin will make an appearance.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Dorroile posted:

Which i guess is kind of a dumb and whiny thing to feel because ~MY ENTITLEMENT TO FREE ENTERTAINMENT~ so i'll shut up about it.

Not to disagree, exactly, since they're just levels of enjoyment, but I've never been more interested in Homestuck than now. I've always been far more interested in the narrative tricks than I am in any of the characters, and this entire act has delivered on that front.

Vanish farther, Hussie!

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

So, uh, what are fuscia blood powers? The only thing special we ever saw Feferi do (that wasn't a life power, which would be a different symbol) was deal with her lusus, but that's back on Earth... I think.

I suppose mind-controlled-Jade might have done something while she was near Earth...

It could just be visual shorthand to show that's she's really pissed off and about to do something with her other powers, maybe.

Or maybe she is in fact calling on her Lusus, assuming she somehow brought it into the medium with her. That would be a quick way to kill all the trolls present, although why she'd do it I have no idea, since last I could tell she needs some of them alive..

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Huh, so Jack and taller white Jack are taking Jade's corpse back to the same quest bed he initially took her to. Must be that doggie instinct.

Dolash posted:

Also, gently caress off Caliborn! Nobody wants to see your poo poo right now!

Speak for yourself buddy :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I told you that fish hitler was gonna show up, Aranea. Now she's gonna super-kill you before you can turn this newly beta timeline into an alpha timeline, so everybody is doomed.

And yeah, the staff apparently contained Actually Skaia, which is now incinerated, so the plan to make a new universe is probably foiled. Since that Can't Happen, we are in beta timeline territory. Consequently this Caliborn intermission is going to be a bit different from the usual "petulant rear end in a top hat kid being a petulant rear end in a top hat" thing. Maybe.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Dorroile posted:

Personally I'm looking forward to this huge climactic confrontation being resolved off screen and only referred to in passing by characters during the buildup to another anticlimax.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Bell_ posted:

Two.

(God, why do I even know that?)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Because the Intermission is the best piece of Homestuck storytelling there is.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Blackheart posted:

Huh, so Jack and taller white Jack are taking Jade's corpse back to the same quest bed he initially took her to. Must be that doggie instinct.

Or that game construct-y instinct. When Jake died he was taken to his quest bed/slab/whatever.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Bobulus posted:

She also extended the Helmsman's lifespan. Maybe she can take steal life, too?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm getting sick of those HILARIOUS WACKY glitches. What is even the point of that?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

To give John a reason to show up and blow out some special stardust while making things deliberately vague and infuriating.

Blackheart posted:

Really curious to see if anything comes of this. If it does, that leaves at least three more players (besides Jade) with alternate revival methods should the clock continue to be messed with/Jane has already revived them once/etc etc. Not the alpha kids though, iirc, because Derse and Prospit with their crypts exploded.

e: double dog tier. :smugdog:

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 16, 2013

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
At this point, I half expect that if John does try to retcon any part of this segment, a different John from some undefined point in the future will unretcon it, since it was somehow worse than this. We won't even see what was worse about it either.

Probably involving all the character development undone.

If anything does get retconned, it will probably be something where no one realizes John was even there.

Also it doesn't seem to be anyone is reacting to the glitches this time.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Midnight Raider posted:

It's a shame Hussie has become pathologically afraid of playing anything straight.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why, did someone actually want Terezi to become yet another comic book woman in refrigerator(tm)? It's like Hussie is hosed if he does and if he doesn't.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Karkat is jealous of Gamzee's courting headlock.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's a shame Hussie has become pathologically afraid of playing anything straight.

I don't think it's even that necessarily. It feels more like he's not sure what he wants to do with the story. Like, take the whole Aranea thing - I wasn't too hot on it, but at least there was a hint that something was about to happen to break the gridlock. But nope, the thread got introduced and then Hussie immediately regretted it and ever since she stuck her neck out she's been getting stomped on as hard as possible. I can't even get enthused at the idea of her being shut down because, gently caress, she never even accomplished anything except killing Jade in the most nudge-wink, "this won't stick" way possible. It's like if Doctor Doom got in a car wreck on the way to the office. At that point I don't want Richards to show up and kick him in the balls, I want someone to give him a lift.

But I guess everyone will just keep standing around with their thumbs up their asses for another three months, waiting for the problems to solve themselves. I'll probably keep reading anyway because I have atrocious taste in media.

e. For real it feels like there's a guy saying "wait for it. WAAAAIIIT for it." but he just keeps saying that over and over with longer emphasis on various parts of the phrase but "it" never actually happens.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 16, 2013

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
gently caress Topatoco's shipping prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Congratulations Rose, you almost did something! Maybe in another 90 updates you'll even quit being dead weight. :allears:

Also, echoing the "getting tired of Homestuck's plot and pacing" bandwagon. It wouldn't be so bad if something actually happened. I don't care what. Let Terezi fall into lava. Let Rose smite temporally-predetermined-to-be-safe Gamzee. Let Jake ascend to Super Saiyan. Just quit negating every previous update in the next update. We were primed to see something happen to Terezi, but Hussie spent a dozen pages of this update showing, no, she was going to be rescued by the guy murdering her. How many weeks did we spend seeing Jake powering up? And it doesn't look like anything came of that. Remeber when Rose was going to gently caress up the game something fierce? Now Hussie won't let her do anything that isn't getting drunk or hitting the wrong people with her magics.

It's not the cliffhangers that annoy me. I'm a big fan of Tintin, and I know Hergé's thing was putting a cliffhanger at the end of every few pages. But usually those cliffhangers, when resolved, advanced the plot in some way. Rarely did the cliffhanger end with Tintin right back where he started.