Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I didn't even look at the loot, focuses only went up by raising the floor 2%. And half the gear will be in the next release.

They also nerfed my item template by splitting clr/dru and wiz/mag into separate item lines.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...
I want in on some goon on goon action. Is Test the best route to take? Logged in my old Necro on Stromm and the goon guild (Ominous Latin Words) is largely abandoned.

I just need my fix...

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I'm hearing they knocked down wizard merc dps by 60% or so? From 20k to 8k so as to make the aa's and gear required to get it back to meaningful levels. If that's not hyperbole then wow...

Edit: aha, allegedly a bug and will be fixed.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 9, 2013

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Fazana posted:

I'm hearing they knocked down wizard merc dps by 60% or so? From 20k to 8k so as to make the aa's and gear required to get it back to meaningful levels. If that's not hyperbole then wow...

Edit: aha, allegedly a bug and will be fixed.

According to the patch notes they obliterated necros. Also our 4 new spells are trash. Cool.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

jetz0r posted:

Less than 2 hours of raiding and expansion is done, under 8 hours from server up.

Iila, druid in LoD.

a name from long ago. The Unfetered One, half elf rogue, ssons/12ons/FoH at your service.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
How much of sticklers are they for names on test? Worried about our new alts, Debt Ceiling and Thankz Obama a little.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Unless your name is filthy or someone feels like a toddler nobody is going to report you for that.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Literally 0 chance that anyone complains about/reports your names.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
There's a late night alcoholic rear end in a top hat on Test that spams General with friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family and has a guild called <Pus'sy Lips> and he's not been banned yet. Debt Ceiling is fine.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

a name from long ago. The Unfetered One, half elf rogue, ssons/12ons/FoH at your service.

Holy poo poo, I remember you. You're probably in some of the screenshots I had laying around, were you in any of the "joint"fear raids we did after ct got upgraded?

I'm not on the inny descendant server anymore though, I'm over on xegony.

MrTheDevious posted:

There's a late night alcoholic rear end in a top hat on Test that spams General with friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family and has a guild called <Pus'sy Lips> and he's not been banned yet. Debt Ceiling is fine.

Sounds like other roi are hanging out on test.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 12, 2013

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I got Horsedik changed on me but Williamt Riker has been going strong for over a year with no complaints.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Sancho posted:

I got Horsedik changed on me but Williamt Riker has been going strong for over a year with no complaints.

I remember living in fear of having my name changed (my druid Creemy Filling), so I actually just said screw it and reported myself. Luckily my Barbarian Rogue Deiz Bravenutz is still kicking along with my bard Bueno Excellente.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
I talk on my druid box (Manlove Forlyfe) in General regularly and nothing's happened, so don't sweat it~

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Kodaji, you guys need to have Someone in your guild download a spell parser and look up raid effects. It's painful seeing rainbow dash post about effects being too hard because you don't know an important part, like them being a directional ae.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Kodaji, you guys need to have Someone in your guild download a spell parser and look up raid effects. It's painful seeing rainbow dash post about effects being too hard because you don't know an important part, like them being a directional ae.

It's painful just seeing Rainbow Dash post.

And gee, I wonder who could be spamming the N bomb on test.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

jetz0r posted:

He's loving retarded in literally every sense of the word. Nobody asked him to make that post and in fact the rest of us are enjoying the event...he is basically the worst person though. If he's logged in, he's either sending cybersex tells to everyone of either gender who'll respond to him, talking about how sexy he thinks vah shir are, or ranting about how this and that are SO UNFAIR THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE WHY SONY WHYYYYY.

I'm still not sure why he's even bitching about that mechanic of the raid in the first place, since it's our DPS being total loving failures wiping us, not the stupid headshot nuke. Yet somehow he manages to raid one hour a week, then make the guild look even more stupid than it already does by bitching on public forums that our special snowflake guild can't finish this raid that's been out for 2 days. We can't even finish RoF T2 and he's already bitching about the next expansion :rolleyes:

Goddamn I hate RBD.

@Node it's Taenios

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

jetz0r posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember you. You're probably in some of the screenshots I had laying around, were you in any of the "joint"fear raids we did after ct got upgraded?

I was in many joint raids for PoF and I organised many successful PoH raids in the guild I created 12oNs, jointly with other guilds. I believe with FoH, LoD, Moonwolves, Crimson Dragons, The Renegades etc.. I used to do them for the good guilds that were not big enough to tackle raids by themselves. 16 hour raid sessions.. those were the days!!

However I left the game a couple of months after PoP came out. Luclin began to erode my enjoyment of the game and Planes of Power completely ruined it for me. I think those two expansions did a lot to kill the community spirit of the game which is a shame because the game peaked with Velious which was a wonderful expansion.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is there anywhere I can get AFK AAs as a 65 SK with a merc and skeleton pet? I hear The Hole works, but maybe you have to dual box?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is there anywhere I can get AFK AAs as a 65 SK with a merc and skeleton pet? I hear The Hole works, but maybe you have to dual box?
Which merc, tank or healer? An SK pet dps'ing sounds painfully slow. A tank merc should still be able to survive on his own at 65, but it'll be on weak mobs.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

If you are up to triple boxing or know someone around level 75. You can afk camp the undead hut in Plane of Valor. When I did it we had myself a 63 SK, my 75 cleric, and a necro in the same guild as me. We let my clerics tank merc tank, my sk's cleric merc, and the necros rogue merc. Both the necro and my sk were feigned off with pets out and we let my cleric take initial aggro so the mercs would activate.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Pilsner posted:

Which merc, tank or healer? An SK pet dps'ing sounds painfully slow. A tank merc should still be able to survive on his own at 65, but it'll be on weak mobs.

I currently use a cleric merc but I am happy to switch.

I really don't want to dual box because I don't have a second account to dual box with, and I'm not about to grind up another character for this silliness.

As I said in some previous post, I'm just here to stomp old content for shits. I want 0 grind.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

SK pet, especially at that level, is basically useless. I really doubt there's anywhere he and a cleric merc can afk kill anything worth xp. You're probably going to have to try to find somewhere really old world that a tank merc can solo.

Even the max level rank 3 SK pet is nothing but a mobile dot

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Aww, the Wet River Bixies are adorable. I want to take one home and keep her as a pet. Time to see what all these Heroic Adventures are all about.

On a completely different note, I had a feel good moment of the day. I boxed Glorig the Underdog. Paladin+cleric, shaman+wizard, bard+wizard. Fight took 17 minutes, bastard has 21 million hit points like the other two strong named in that zone. It helps that Edrick is tier 1 and 2 raid geared. Although some mage pet with a lovely group focus would have tanked him a lot better than I would have. I'm glad Chandrok listened to my pleas and made A Huge Mistake and The Undefeated Blade optional for the hunter achievement in Chelsith.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 15, 2013

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
There's a new named in Etherne, Gelden. I pulled him with my box crew, didn't know wtf to do to kill him. We beat on him for like 20minutes while he kept regening to 60%. A lot of people were forming around me, I guess they were "camping" him or some poo poo even though they weren't there when I pulled. I tanked him so long my clerics ran out of mana so I just had my group fade one by one then howl of warlord on my warrior.

The 8 or so onlookers and their pets and mercs got wrecked one by one, it was like a fireworks show. Absolutely amazing. Then they rezzed and regrouped and he tore through all 8 of their PCs and mercs AGAIN.

As they're rezzing I call up wiz and mag buddy and we wreck him right in front of them.

It's kinda weird how hard they made Chelsith and how dog poo poo they made HoF and CoTF nameds. But Gelden is pretty cool fight, probably a lot easier than undefeated blade or a huge mistake, though.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 15, 2013

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Flarestar posted:

I talk on my druid box (Manlove Forlyfe) in General regularly and nothing's happened, so don't sweat it~

Yeah, I'm Flutist Solotiv Gnomosexual the Sword Swallower and nobody gives a poo poo unless you're overtly racist or stupid.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I'm looking for fun and interesting old school things to do, just sort of a way to finish out the EQ experience I guess. I've started doing things like checking out zones I may have never seen, or haven't seen in a long time, camping old hell camps or just cool named poo poo everyone used to want, but could care less about, doing old quests if I can, like I was thinking about the old qeynos badge quest, or the blackburrow one with the sword that has a clicky wolf pet, etc.. I plan on possibly doing all of the 1.0 epics I never got (are there any not working?) and other quests I never finished. possibly seeing how far I can get with a 3 box before the content is too hard.

Any ideas, or old favorite items, or areas I can/should take screenshots of, obscure quests no one does, rare camps, etc?

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
There's a couple Missions at the moment near the entrance to the guild lobby, "Dragons, Dragons, Dragons" and "Giants, Giants, Giants" that are pretty fun for the old school in you. Dragons has you go through killing Naggy, then Vox, and Gorenaire and Sev and Trak and the sleeper's tomb warders, vulak'aerr, etc. I think they're roughly equivalent to their selves in the real world but there's no porting you out thing for naggy and vox for being too high etc. There's no loot dropped by the dragons but eh.

Giants is like Ancient Cyclops, Cazel, Velk from velk's lab, the 3 big giants in kael and I stopped there but there's more info on Alla.

That way you can go visit them without having to worry about them being already dead or porting you out. I think we got to Quarm in Dragons, Dragons, Dragons with a party of 75s and not much past Velk with a 75 bard and monk duo - You can't take mercs though, so might need to find some pals.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

BJA posted:

I've started doing things like checking out zones I may have never seen, or haven't seen in a long time, camping old hell camps or just cool named poo poo everyone used to want, but could care less about, doing old quests if I can, like I was thinking about the old qeynos badge quest, or the blackburrow one with the sword that has a clicky wolf pet, etc.. I plan on possibly doing all of the 1.0 epics I never got
This quest arc is all related to or uses classic pre-kunark quests to give out some modern non-gear rewards. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5522

I know we're put together lists of important/cool clickies in the thread before, but in general, the illusion quests and drops are the best 'timeless' things because they've never devalued.

Dragons3 being up is actually a great thing for getting shm epics done. The step with dracolich in pofear allows the Iksar Broodling to spawn and drop the Child's Tear that's the main bottleneck for the quest. Anyone who might possible want to get a shm epic on a character (even if they're not a shm) should go collect one now while it's so easy to get.

Otherwise, it's Necro, SK, Wiz and I think Paladin that have epics locked behind open world raid targets that are still killed for loot drops.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

WetSpink posted:

There's a couple Missions at the moment near the entrance to the guild lobby, "Dragons, Dragons, Dragons" and "Giants, Giants, Giants" that are pretty fun for the old school in you.

Are these temporary and, if so, how long do they last?

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start sometime

jetz0r posted:

This quest arc is all related to or uses classic pre-kunark quests to give out some modern non-gear rewards. http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=5522

I know we're put together lists of important/cool clickies in the thread before, but in general, the illusion quests and drops are the best 'timeless' things because they've never devalued.

Dragons3 being up is actually a great thing for getting shm epics done. The step with dracolich in pofear allows the Iksar Broodling to spawn and drop the Child's Tear that's the main bottleneck for the quest. Anyone who might possible want to get a shm epic on a character (even if they're not a shm) should go collect one now while it's so easy to get.

Otherwise, it's Necro, SK, Wiz and I think Paladin that have epics locked behind open world raid targets that are still killed for loot drops.

That bag quest looks great, going to do that one soon I think. I also have a couple of the epic augment quests on my todo list. Is there a level limit for getting the childs tear for shm epic, or is it mq'able?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

So I'm thinking changing my box group up. Currently running rogue warrior and bard with wiz and clerics mercs. I feel like I'm doing worse and worse with my rogue, he currently does worse than wiz merc most the time.

I want to keep the warrior, the obvious answer is probably war wiz cleric. If I do that I feel like I'll have to box them on raids. Boxing a cleric sounds awful though.

Could I fit in something like a druid in a three box? Can they spot heal through nameds and drop some of that sweet sweet caster dps well enough? Your thoughts?

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 16, 2013

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Why are you considering dropping the bard? Good puller, low effort to do 'good enough' with and very valuable.

If you're going to do a change, I'd drop the rogue and get either a wizard or a mage. Melee get really spammy later which is probably why you feel it isn't pulling its weight as well. Wizard also gives you the porting/evac power. You could fit a druid in there just fine but it doesn't compliment your group as well. Druids are great and you can get decent output from boxing one though. Not as braindead boxing as a shaman but as long as you can weave storm strikes in between spell gem cooldowns you'll probably be fine with the damage they put out. Before I shelved my druid for a bard I would just cast the Nature's ____ Wrath line, drop some nukes and hit storm strike in between and hit a wolf form when it came off cooldown. Otherwise, good enough damage and good enough 'oh poo poo' utility for when things go downhill. Just remember that druids don't really take off until about 85-86ish. It was right about then to where my druid went from 'crappy healer and okay damage' to 'holy poo poo this class owns'.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

My bard is cool, he was mainly to compliment my rogue DPS. Rogue being spamming is not the problem. His dps is just poo poo without burns. Even with burns it doesn't come close to some stuff I've seen awful wizards do. My gear is not amazing, but he has over 7000 AAs. When in my normal group setting with bard and he's doing less dps than some wizard without bard it kinda sucks; what's the point of playing that?

I'd like to get him nice great but I don't see how even that could push him onto par.

Yeah this post is bitching, I'm mad at melee :(

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

What kind of numbers are you getting with your rogue? It's been a while since I parsed an exp group, but around 25-30k is what I'd expect. And I'd put a dedicated druid at 20-25k, both those should be for sustained exp group parses, with some named burns. Rogues can burst much higher and gain more from adps, druids can carry smaller versions of most of our adps.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

BJA posted:

I'm looking for fun and interesting old school things to do, just sort of a way to finish out the EQ experience I guess. I've started doing things like checking out zones I may have never seen, or haven't seen in a long time, camping old hell camps or just cool named poo poo everyone used to want, but could care less about, doing old quests if I can, like I was thinking about the old qeynos badge quest, or the blackburrow one with the sword that has a clicky wolf pet, etc.. I plan on possibly doing all of the 1.0 epics I never got (are there any not working?) and other quests I never finished. possibly seeing how far I can get with a 3 box before the content is too hard.

Any ideas, or old favorite items, or areas I can/should take screenshots of, obscure quests no one does, rare camps, etc?
Epic 1.0s is by far my recommendation for you. I have had so much fun doing them I can't describe it, because you're forced to visit the most obscure places all over the world, which will continue to amaze you. You finally find out what that drop or that NPC is for. They're wonderful to do. I recommend setting up a box crew with a Druid or Wizard so you can travel. At one point I made a fresh box crew with four characters of four classes that I hadn't done epics for and went to town. Was a ton of fun.

I've written an overview of all 1.0's with links to guides on my EQ1 website - http://www.zlizeq.com/Quests-Epic_1.0

So far I've done the following:

Druid
Magician
Monk
Necromancer
Paladin
Ranger
Rogue
Shadow Knight
Shaman
Wizard

Druid and Ranger ones are similar. I like how they incorporate Tracking and Forage, although there is a ridiculous amount of travel and small turn-ins.

Magician is one of the coolest because it contains so many small parts, yet is fairly easy to follow; no tricky turn-ins or weird scripted events.

Monk is cool as I'm a huge Monk fan, but it's fairly basic with some unskippable, very boring camps.

Necro is neat with its dark theme, and pretty easy.

The Paladin quest is awe-inspiring, just because of the fact of the insane chain of quests you have to go through with SoulFire, Fiery Avenger and then the 1.0 itself - including the dragon books, which I obtained legit from Nagafen and Vox.

Rogue is very easy, although it's been 11 years since I did it. :)

Shadow Knight is next to Paladin quest in terms of absurd god drops and rare stuff, but really amazing.

Shaman epic is okay, but nothing spectacular.

Wizard is super easy and "just" has two cockblocks - Venril Sathir staff and Phinny staff. Took me two days to get them with some camping and multiboxing, but not all can do that nor be as lucky.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

jetz0r posted:

What kind of numbers are you getting with your rogue? It's been a while since I parsed an exp group, but around 25-30k is what I'd expect. And I'd put a dedicated druid at 20-25k, both those should be for sustained exp group parses, with some named burns. Rogues can burst much higher and gain more from adps, druids can carry smaller versions of most of our adps.

I was getting like 20k-ish in RoF yeah. Right now it actually seems to have gone down in CoTF, I guess mobs are higher level, more AC or something, or I'm just rusty.

I've been trying to snag rotted raid daggers, maybe I'll get him some good augs and see if it will make it more enjoyable.

A druid or wizard or caster box would let me box on raids, I think so it's still a nice option to have. I'm not going to embarrass myself trying to box 2 melees while raiding.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 16, 2013

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Pilsner posted:

Rogue is very easy, although it's been 11 years since I did it. :)

Haha rogue was easy... if you wasn't one of those rogues that had already completed the Burning Rapier quest and then destroyed it because it was so poo poo. The howls of despair game wide when rogues realised they needed that old piece of poo poo to complete the Ragebringer quest. I loved my loving Ragebringer.

Good times.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start sometime

Pilsner posted:

Epic 1.0s is by far my recommendation for you. I have had so much fun doing them I can't describe it, because you're forced to visit the most obscure places all over the world, which will continue to amaze you. You finally find out what that drop or that NPC is for. They're wonderful to do. I recommend setting up a box crew with a Druid or Wizard so you can travel. At one point I made a fresh box crew with four characters of four classes that I hadn't done epics for and went to town. Was a ton of fun.

Epics were of course the first thing I thought of, way back in the day when I got my Ranger epics they were actually still upgrades and useful. So far I have completed Warrior 1.0, Ranger 1.0/2.0, Shaman 1.0/2.0, Bard 1.0/2.0 and Necro 1.0/1.5 but I was thinking about making new characters just to redo those few 1.0 (don't really care to do 1.5/2.0 over, or at all for others lol)

I actually 4 box Bard/SHM/Mage/Druid which are like 95/2500aa or so, the druid is 90 with like 700aa since he is newer and was started for more or less that reason. Zerker seems to be the character I have the hardest time with, can hardly bring myself to level one to epic 1.0 level :)

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

darkhand posted:

A druid or wizard or caster box would let me box on raids, I think so it's still a nice option to have. I'm not going to embarrass myself trying to box 2 melees while raiding.

Oh, from your first post, all three priest classes are fine healers for group content. It's the additional things they bring that change. And I can only really speak for what a droid can do for DPS. My own class had enough buttons to worry about without caring about anyone else.

Being rusty and lazy can really snow ball over the course of an exp grind, missing cool downs by a minute adds up to a whole lost disc after a few times. Over the course of a few hours, you can miss millions of damage from dropped discs. But being at 100% over hours of grinding isn't really feasible, it gets loving tiring after awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

darkhand posted:

I was getting like 20k-ish in RoF yeah. Right now it actually seems to have gone down in CoTF, I guess mobs are higher level, more AC or something, or I'm just rusty.

I've been trying to snag rotted raid daggers, maybe I'll get him some good augs and see if it will make it more enjoyable.

You're suffering from the common and well-investigated syndrome known as gently caress Melee Disease. Basically melee DPS is far, far more dependent on weapons than wizard DPS is on focuses. It's been that way forever -- casters pull ahead early in expansions until the melee pick up weapons. Your rogue's fine, he's just badly in need of raid weapons to compete with wizards. Weapon ratios and AC values are definitely the two hugest gaps between group and raid gear

That said, boxing a wizard is a million times easier than a melee. I've boxed somebody's wiz a couple times on raids and it's braindead easy to post solid numbers mashing isboxer hotkeys while I tank. Couldn't pay me to try boxing a monk/rogue/zerker/bst on raids.

Don't drop the bard regardless, you'll hate yourself for it later. Bards are amazing and I feel so bad for people who don't have one to drag around