Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
:gifttank:Judgement!:gifttank:

3rd Place, 1 Point: Red Shoe

It was great reading the walk through in the painting/modeling thread on how you painted up this guy. The work that went into it really shows up in the end result, really the result of all of your pieces this oathing season.

2nd Place, 2 Points: IrvingWashington

A clean, super effective piece. Colors work great together, the purples and black. Highlighting is consistent throughout, and it turned out very striking, it looks great. Base looks well weathered, fits great with the model.

1st Place, 3 Points: Arlaharen

Everything about these three is great. The color variation in sand on the bases, the nicks/weathering on the spear dude's armor/shield, the weathering on the cross, the highlighting and freehand on the scroll. Absolutely every detail and technique you used came together perfectly. Trying out that color scheme? Run with that poo poo.

Detektuv's Jurnal Bonus, Freehand, 1 Point: Namenlos

The banner kicks rear end, great details, looks like the reference pic. The shading and depth on the shoulder pad is also outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Thanks, Bachtere!

:siren: Final oath for October: 12 Iron Fang Pikemen, an Extreme Destroyer, and an Elf Warrior :siren:
The first two are Privateer Press, the Elf is Reaper.

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

Jurnal can be found in his PINK loin cloth and feathers.
This was a really fun model to paint I cant wait to finish the rest of these guys.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Red Shoe posted:

Thanks, Bachtere!

:siren: Final oath for October: 12 Iron Fang Pikemen, an Extreme Destroyer, and an Elf Warrior :siren:
The first two are Privateer Press, the Elf is Reaper.

Accepted!

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Well I wasn't sure if you were wanting to play as well :-) Raphus will be there from 3-ish and I've booked two tables somehow (one of the 'feature' tables and one normal one), so anyone who wants to play can show up.

The guys I'm going with will be leaving at 4 (we’ll be having lunch, looking around and hopefully get in a couple of Kill Team games) but after that I'm looking to play whatever, I've never played with anyone outside my group (or at WHW). So far Raphus and I are thinking of a 1000 pt game but I guess it depends how many other folks show up!

Cool well I probably won't be able to play as I only get 30 mins for lunch. Let me know on the day when you get here and what you plan on eating and I'll come over and join you lot. If you're still around after 5.30 I'll come hang out and maybe get a drink? I'll try and make sure I have some models in the office just in case :radcat:

Also, thanks Bachtere!

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
I'd Join you in WHW (I live in nottingham and 5 mins drive from there) but I no longer have any 28mm armies and I doubt you lot would want to play Epic Armageddon.

Also, working on better group shot pic for oath now.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Oath Complete

Da Kool Skool Bus

and for this months journal, I give you Brother Ray of the Pink Leopards Space Marine Chapter.

EDIT: Some better pictures of Da Bus

and a pic of Brother ray slogging across the blasted landscape of the hellworld "Meadow".

Bucnasti fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 25, 2013

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

Bucnasti posted:

Oath Complete

Da Kool Skool Bus

:allears: How'd you make the diamond plate?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Iris of Ether posted:

:allears: How'd you make the diamond plate?
Probably bought ready-made plasticard with diamond plate texture.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Do all my oathed minis need to be in the same timestamped shot when they are done? I'm thinking about repainting one of hte ones I did, but not 100% sure I'll have the time to do it....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Joe_Richter posted:

I'd Join you in WHW (I live in nottingham and 5 mins drive from there) but I no longer have any 28mm armies and I doubt you lot would want to play Epic Armageddon.

Actually I'd love to play Epic, but I don't have enough stuff to make an army and none of the guys going with me will have anything but 40K stuff.

Thanks for doing another pic, I know it's a pain and any painting you've done on them is fine.

Oxford Comma posted:

Do all my oathed minis need to be in the same timestamped shot when they are done? I'm thinking about repainting one of hte ones I did, but not 100% sure I'll have the time to do it....

No, oath complete pictures don't need any timestamp. Some people have just got in the habit this time around and it seems to have stuck.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 16, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Pierzak posted:

Probably bought ready-made plasticard with diamond plate texture.

Speaking of which, anybody got a source for diamond plate styrene other than the ridiculously overpriced Plastruct stuff? $15 for one sheet is a stretch.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Speaking of which, anybody got a source for diamond plate styrene other than the ridiculously overpriced Plastruct stuff? $15 for one sheet is a stretch.

Hobbylinc sells a variety of diamond plate styrene, I think I used Plastruct on da Skool Bus.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?str_s=diamond&submit=Search&cat_s=REA&mfg_s=

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

JerryLee posted:

I have a question about conversions: Does the pre-conversion picture also need to be timestamped and dated within the month that the oath is for? Or is it just a reference for the model that you started with?

I don't know if I got a response to this.

Basically I'm asking if you need to take the official oath picture before starting any of the conversion work, or if you just need an unofficial reference for what the model started life as.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Joe_Richter posted:

Dude, just come anyway. I doubt I'll be playing.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
:spooky:Oath Complete! :spooky:

1 Diffuser and 1 Cataphract Incindiarii

No Journal this month sadly :(

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
better pic of my oath:

Also, sorry, I totally forgot about WHW tonight till now. Busy work week :(

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Joe_Richter posted:

better pic of my oath:

Muy bueno! Accepted!

It's OK you couldn't make it, but if you had I could have let you use half of my army and we could have had a game on the sweet tables they have there. Raphuc couldn't make it in the end but I think we'll have to organize a proper meet-up with a bit more notice for everyone.

The trip to Warhammer World was fun, even if we didn't get any time to play on the awesome tables that are set up (the goon that was trying to make it from another city couldn't and I wasn't really up to trying to ask around for pick-up games) but we spent a lot of time wandering around, buying a few things here and there and enjoying ourselves. Met up with Namenlos and got far too many White Dwarfs, so plenty of reading material (and extra prizes for the Grab Bag!)

...I...took a few pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/101792256154658567736/albums/5936205578977392769?authkey=CImGwYvg5JSRZg

If you've been on blogs and whatnot it's probably everything you've seen before but seeing everything in person was really cool.

Some samples photos:

The Belly Buster with a pint of Bugman's XXXXXX

Our reserved table...sadly we didn't have time to play on it! next time...

An Apocalypse game in full flow: Dark Eldar, Necrons, IG and lots more

Anyone need Forge World bits? Order there and they'll deliver to your house for free - you cannot fault them for their service!

The amazing Macragge display

The very first Citadel offerings

Sisters!

One of several dioramas on display, and one of a few by Mike McVey

Probably the most amazing single model I saw

Anyway, I took lots more pictures, pretty much one of every shelf they had (except for the missing armies that had been removed, like Grey Knights), plus pics of most of the Fantasy and LotR stuff too.

Finally, one for SRM:

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
:siren:I Black_Nexus oath 10 skinks and 1 pink horror of Tzeentch(All GW):siren:

The journal is easy this month hahaha

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004
I, Mega Shark, oath that I will paint this Ork Runtherd (GW)
Awwww, it's a baby!

Hope I'm doing this right:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Sorry for the delay. I just started a new job sooner than I thought and have had to concentrate on that. But now:

1 Point: Grey Hunter

I think there's a law somewhere that says you have to be rewarded for doing something that fun.

2 Points: Red Shoe

Again, you blasted out a ton of models. But that great water effect work (and thanks for the nice tutorial you posted elsewhere!), weathering and other creative bits really bring it together.

3 Points: Namenlos

When someone says, "I think I'm going to freehand a banner" they usually don't create something as awesome as that. Bravo!

Bonus Point: Brock Samsonite

I really dig that freehand work and it's tied in with the soul stones in a really visual way.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

krushgroove posted:

Muy bueno! Accepted!

It's OK you couldn't make it, but if you had I could have let you use half of my army and we could have had a game on the sweet tables they have there. Raphuc couldn't make it in the end but I think we'll have to organize a proper meet-up with a bit more notice for everyone.

The trip to Warhammer World was fun, even if we didn't get any time to play on the awesome tables that are set up (the goon that was trying to make it from another city couldn't and I wasn't really up to trying to ask around for pick-up games) but we spent a lot of time wandering around, buying a few things here and there and enjoying ourselves. Met up with Namenlos and got far too many White Dwarfs, so plenty of reading material (and extra prizes for the Grab Bag!)

It was awesome getting to meet you Krushgroove. Pity I didn't get a chance to hang out with you guys more, it would have been cool to show you around WHW and such. Did you all get enough White Dwarfs to satisfy?

It was a pity more goons couldn't come. How would people feel about a Saturday meet closer to Christmas? Maybe end of November/beginning of December? (Then I would also get more than half an hour to hang out before running back to my desk!)

Also, YAY thanks thiswayliesmadness!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm going to be at WHW for a GorkaMorka weekend on the 30/1st.

People should come that weekend, but some should also play GoMo because it is awesome :orks:

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Thanks Bachtere! I fought that bugger from start to finish, but I think I found a decent cross between Alien and Genestealer in the end. With that said...

:siren: Oath Complete! :siren:

Sedition Wars Samaritan (The Jurnal is her hair, in case you can't see pinks), and I tried some OSL for the first time ever.

Blood Bowl Orcs

Krushgroove I put some dirt on the floor, sorry if that's a cop-out

I am guessing the Orcs count for a Themed Group - nice to have time to work on more than one mini this month!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

thiswayliesmadness posted:

1 Point: Grey Hunter

I think there's a law somewhere that says you have to be rewarded for doing something that fun.

You have no idea how much I'm going to treasure that point.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Black_Nexus posted:

:siren:I Black_Nexus oath 10 skinks and 1 pink horror of Tzeentch(All GW):siren:

The journal is easy this month hahaha

Mega Shark posted:

I, Mega Shark, oath that I will paint this Ork Runtherd (GW)
Awwww, it's a baby!

Hope I'm doing this right:
You're all good! Date and time is readable and the model is clearly visible.

Accepted!

Namenlos posted:

It was awesome getting to meet you Krushgroove. Pity I didn't get a chance to hang out with you guys more, it would have been cool to show you around WHW and such. Did you all get enough White Dwarfs to satisfy?

It was a pity more goons couldn't come. How would people feel about a Saturday meet closer to Christmas? Maybe end of November/beginning of December? (Then I would also get more than half an hour to hang out before running back to my desk!)

Also, YAY thanks thiswayliesmadness!
Oh yeah we've got lots of WD to go around, and a full set for the Grab Bag as well - they'll be doled out as requested until they're gone. See below for an idea for a meet-up!

ineptmule posted:

I'm going to be at WHW for a GorkaMorka weekend on the 30/1st.

People should come that weekend, but some should also play GoMo because it is awesome :orks:

I'd like to do a WHW meet-up so lots of people can come and game (maybe reserve a block of tables next to each other), inviting folks for playing whatever: 40K, Fantasy, GoMo, etc...would you be able to come up another weekend as well? IIRC you're down South?

Grey Hunter posted:

You have no idea how much I'm going to treasure that point.

I still mention my 'award' my big red building and group of Dark Eldar Warriors that both got 3rd place in last year's oath thread whenever I use them in a game :v:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Namenlos posted:

krushgrove posted:

WHW Goonmeet.

A christmas-ish WHW goonmeet would be awesome, I can probably get down to WHW in a couple hours. The problem is last time I went Forgeworld stole all my money.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK...so now I need to paint all three of my armies by then. Thanks, richyp, no pressure!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

krushgroove posted:

OK...so now I need to paint all three of my armies by then. Thanks, richyp, no pressure!

Haha, don't worry once I paint stuff it gets boxed away and never played with (last game was not long after 5th came out, and before that only played space hulk). Probably explains the short lived enthusiastic painting sprees.

A painted kill team tournament might be a fun thing to do though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I oath this Reaper Bones PurplePink Worm in 28mm.

The rocks on the bottom make an integrated base. If I paint those, will it count as basing or do I need to put it on a round plastic base?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

richyp posted:

Haha, don't worry once I paint stuff it gets boxed away and never played with (last game was not long after 5th came out, and before that only played space hulk). Probably explains the short lived enthusiastic painting sprees.

A painted kill team tournament might be a fun thing to do though.

:) and yeah maybe a Kill Team mini-tournament would be really cool! I don't have much of an idea how to organize one though, might have to find a volunteer. I think pick a date first so we can publicize it. I hope to make it an Oath Thread thing (at least for the GW players) so I want to invite Fantasy players also, though (and any Hobbit players if there are any), does anyone know of an equivalent of Kill Team for Fantasy?

Achmed Jones posted:

I oath this Reaper Bones PurplePink Worm in 28mm.

The rocks on the bottom make an integrated base. If I paint those, will it count as basing or do I need to put it on a round plastic base?

Ha, I have this exact model in lead - omg it's heavy. And if there's no base you get the basing point for free, so no worries! Accepted!

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I, Weirdo, Oath these ten Savage Orcs (28mm, Games Workshop) and one Reaper Bones Earth Elemental. I'm going to put some pink rock in the elemental (some potassium feldspar or rose quartz in the granite :haw:), and perhaps a pink tattoo on an orc.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!
The news of my death has been greatly exaggerated.
Well, I mean I did die, but I'm a lich now so it's all good.

:siren:Judgment!:siren:

1 Point: Monoliths!

A lot of times, I am a sucker for neat, orderly paintjobs. Now, I'm not saying that yours is sloppy or terrible; I'm saying that each part of the model bright, eye-catching and riotous in a sense. However, this stark contrasting is exactly what makes it great, and makes you great as a painter. Your style is always instantly recognizable, and I've had the pleasure of watching it develop over several years. This is a departure from your typical style, but it definitely works.

2 Points: Gareth Gobulcoque!

So, yeah. This is about as clean a paint job that I have ever seen; so in contrast for the explosive entry that was seen above, I revert to my tendencies for the spartan. Splendid in silver, with just the right touches here and there to really set it off, this model is absolutely fantastic. However, it does not earn 3 points because... Well, it might be too neat and clean. It really pushes the bounds of "very well done and clean model" and "very well done and boring model." Granted, you are on the better part of that, and I think the model's size may have something to do with the issue, but drat if you don't pull it off with style.

3 Points: Namenlos!

Speaking of style, we have one of our most stylish artists right here, and once again she puts out a fantastic display. The freehand on this guy is at insane levels, truly inspiring; the model itself conveys a sense of weight, a dark, grizzled sense that fits seamlessly with the lore of the model itself. I love pretty much everything about this model, so you easily get the points.

Special Cool Kid's Point: Rikthor!

Simple, elegant, classic and bold; everything I love about art in general, put onto a shield. :allears: You're doing well, and with more models under your belt, you'll be up on the leaderboards before too long, I can tell.

Side Note for Krushgroove
I never received an e-mail stating the oaths were ready! Nothing big, just thought you should know in case things got jumbled up or some such.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Oath Complete

edit: In Battle one-time bonus here

Also, thanks IrvingWashington!

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 21, 2013

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
That's some tasty-looking worm drool - nice one!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I, Genghis Cohen, Oath seven (7) Nomad Wildcats for October

Am I doing this right? Hope I have enough time to complete them properly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Genghis Cohen posted:

Nearly - you need to use the https://www.worldtimeserver.com site, though! I'm tempted to say 'eh, it's amnesty month' but since I've asked other folks to retake pictures because of their timestamp photos I'll need to ask you to do the same.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I finished assembling the Destroyer Lord before I realized I needed to take photos of the components for the conversion contest, can I show what models the parts came from or will I have to convert another model?

The "before" photo does not need to be of your actual model. I just need something that shows me what the original model (or component pieces) looked like, so I can compare it to the "after" photo and go "yup, that's actually a conversion, and not just some green stuff smeared on a part or whatever".

JerryLee posted:

I have a question about conversions: Does the pre-conversion picture also need to be timestamped and dated within the month that the oath is for? Or is it just a reference for the model that you started with?

JerryLee posted:

I don't know if I got a response to this.

Basically I'm asking if you need to take the official oath picture before starting any of the conversion work, or if you just need an unofficial reference for what the model started life as.

We need a reference for what the model started as. It's easiest if you just take a photo before doing the conversion work, but I will accept any photo reference that clearly shows what the original model/pieces looked like. (This is best if it's from the vendor or box art or a reseller or something, rather than "random model some guy on the Internet painted", since such a model could potentially also be a conversion, earlier version, etc.)

Bucnasti posted:

Oath Complete

Da Kool Skool Bus

and for this months journal, I give you Brother Ray of the Pink Leopards Space Marine Chapter.

I assume you're aware, but I couldn't give you a point for basing. There's still ten days left in the month, though, so if you slap some material and paint onto that model's base, you can re-post your Oath Complete and get that point!

Genghis Cohen posted:

I, Genghis Cohen, Oath seven (7) Nomad Wildcats for October

I would also like the manufacturer and scale for these figures, please. Welcome to the thread! :)

krushgroove, you need to approve Oaths from Weirdo and Deanut Pancer.

Oh, uh, Hi everyone I'm back from the desert.

Here, have a photo of a tarantula.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 21, 2013

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Here, have a photo of a tarantula.

Waiting on the "after" conversion image. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look