Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Say Nothing posted:

I don't know the source.
I really don't want to know.

I'm gonna print and hang this in my office motivation poster style. Inspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

drat, this thread doesn't get many posts.

Contribution...

I don't know the source.

I KNEW the Skrull plot resolution wasn't the first time comics had used it!!!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Say Nothing posted:

Contribution...

I don't know the source.

It's an Elseworld issue where Bruce Wayne had another animal crash through his window. :v:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Serious answer: the source is apparently Silver #22, an ongoing comic based off the Lone Ranger's horse of the same name. In which he seemed to kick plenty of rear end, too:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Serious answer: the source is apparently Silver #22, an ongoing comic based off the Lone Ranger's horse of the same name. In which he seemed to kick plenty of rear end, too:

Seems to me Silver is having second thoughts about Cougar-Surfing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Adventure Time #21.
BMO makes a Watchman reference.

Edit: Also a Mario reference.

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
"I've got like eighteen bazillion things to do today, and they're all butts" is going to be my new personal slogan.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Incredibles #8.
Elastigirl doesn't like Mirage.

And #9.
Elastigirl still doesn't like Mirage.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Say Nothing posted:

The Incredibles #8.
Elastigirl doesn't like Mirage.

And #9.
Elastigirl still doesn't like Mirage.

drat, the art absolutely pegs the movie's style. I love it a lot.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
Indestructible Hulk Special

Hulk likes dogs

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If I ever turn into an indestructible monster powered by pure rage, this is also how you defuse me.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Who doesn't like puppies?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315453&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=32

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

If I ever turn into an indestructible monster powered by pure rage, this is also how you defuse me.

New SHIELD policy: an Emergency Puppy Deployment Plane trailing Banner around.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

MikeJF posted:

New SHIELD policy: an Emergency Puppy Deployment Plane trailing Banner around.

That is in fact exactly what that panel depicts.

When loading Banner into a helicopter he even asks them "You're sending me right back into the field? Do you guys have another of those puppy-bombs armed?"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well that's probably the greatest job in the world.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

DarkCrawler posted:

Well that's probably the greatest job in the world.

Except they're using dogs owned by S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel, which led some of the agents present to worry that the measure would backfire and they'd have a crate full of dead doggies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

graybook posted:

Except they're using dogs owned by S.H.I.E.L.D. personnel, which led some of the agents present to worry that the measure would backfire and they'd have a crate full of dead doggies.

Why should they worry since there is a 90% chance that they will be dead in the next SHIELD attack?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

graybook posted:

You know what I really liked about the Amadeus Cho/Hulk days? When Amadeus figured out that the Hulk still has super-intelligence, but it's all dedicated to making sure nobody gets killed by his rampaging. Sure, he destroys tanks and buildings and geography, but people make it out alive. :3:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

prefect posted:

You know what I really liked about the Amadeus Cho/Hulk days? When Amadeus figured out that the Hulk still has super-intelligence, but it's all dedicated to making sure nobody gets killed by his rampaging. Sure, he destroys tanks and buildings and geography, but people make it out alive. :3:

I thought he's killed like thousands of people, hence the whole "let's send him to space" thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's been written both ways. But he's probably brought down more than one skyscraper in his time. Can't imagine that could be done without a few casualties even if you are a comic book super-genius.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

DarkCrawler posted:

I thought he's killed like thousands of people, hence the whole "let's send him to space" thing.

Greg Pak (?) during his run decided that the Hulk couldn't be a hero if he'd killed anybody, even accidentally so retconned it such that nobody was every killed from a Hulk rampage

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

Greg Pak (?) during his run decided that the Hulk couldn't be a hero if he'd killed anybody, even accidentally so retconned it such that nobody was every killed from a Hulk rampage

A Hulk rampage when Bruce Banner was connected to Hulk. The rampage Hulk did when he and Bruce was separated did have people die.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This was partially done with the Hulk movies. They had to direct the action very carefully to ensure Hulk didn't ACTUALLY kill anyone directly.

Ostensibly because they wanted to keep his character relatively cartoon-hero simple and not something that started to become morally complex. Even Wolverine didn't really kill a lot of people in the first few X-men movies despite whipping his claws everywhere.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

It wasn't Pak writing it, but there was a WWH tie-in about a group of people who got powers to seek revenge on Hulk for ruining their lives in some way with collateral damage. Except it turned out in the end that none of it was actually Hulk's fault! Even though he does cause tons of collateral damage!

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

bobkatt013 posted:

A Hulk rampage when Bruce Banner was connected to Hulk. The rampage Hulk did when he and Bruce was separated did have people die.
Yes, most writers tend to handwave it away with "Boy, we sure were lucky these five blocks were scheduled for demolition so no one got hurt!!", but then you have John "BODYCOUNT IN THE TENS OF THOUSANDS!" Byrne. Byrne had Doc Samson separate Hulk and Banner, and then Hulk leveled a small city. PAD referenced this in Hulk Annual 18 explicitly saying a lot of people died, and then Greg Pak referenced it in Incredible Hulk #100, but without explicitly saying anyone died. So it strictly hasn't been retconned away.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Say Nothing posted:

Avenger Academy #29.
Those are teenagers, Hercules. You Greek pervert.

The facial expressions in this always get me. X-23 is not impressed by what she sees.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

He did make an exception for those times he got mind controlled or that time he turned into a super-grey Hulk and a couple of other situations but yeah he basically directly contradicted the generally accepted view that there's no way that the "regular" Hulk wouldn't have caused at least a couple people to die from all the times he collapsed buildings or punched tanks.

As Bendis put it "you know in the first Hulk movie, when he throws that tank half a mile and they show the soldiers crawling out totally fine? Didn't you think to yourself "bullshit!" when you saw that?"

Pak justified it with some weird "Bruce Banner's subconscious used super-math to prevent the Hulk's destruction from ever killing people" explanation from Amadeus Cho but it still feels kinda hollow. Who ever thought of the Hulk as a "hero" anyway?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Who ever thought of the Hulk as a "hero" anyway?

Kids? That's what they market him as anyway. I also prefer him a hero. If I want to watch a man turn into a monster that indiscriminately murders and rampage, I'll watch a werewolf movie.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Hulk doesn't indiscriminately rampage and murder, and I'd never believe a characterization where he does. But do I believe that, say, when he picks up a tank and throws it at a helicopter because the puny army is bothering him, he gives a poo poo if the soldiers die in the explosion/crash? No, no I do not.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Hulk's rampages aren't indiscriminate, they only happen when he's angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Kids? That's what they market him as anyway. I also prefer him a hero. If I want to watch a man turn into a monster that indiscriminately murders and rampage, I'll watch a werewolf movie.

One of the reasons I like Peter David's run on Hulk so much (and I suspect I might have some people agree with me on this) is because he figured out a way to make Hulk heroic and it didn't feel forced.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Atmus posted:

Hulk's rampages aren't indiscriminate, they only happen when he's angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Note: Hulk's definition of things that make him angry may be different from yours. Hulk has, on occasion gone on a rampage because he came across a statute of Socrates and it made Hulk think about himself, and THAT JUST MADE HULK MAD!

Edit: Also no ammount of Super-math is going to explain away that time the Hulk destroyed a Russian Submarine. Of course, those Ruskie's had it coming...for being Communists in a Marvel comic in the 60's.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I always thought it was less "Hulk has never killed a single human being! How wrong you are for hating Hulk!" and more about keeping his body count in the low tens as opposed to the thousands/millions.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Atmus posted:

Oddly enough, I like him the most when he's angry.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Savage She-Hulk V2 #3.
I'm sure I'd be mad if I had to pay for a taxi ride from New Jersey to New York.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

DarkCrawler posted:

Hulk got sent to space because everything the Illuminati did had to a) fail completely and b) make life concretely worse for a significant number of people. Him killing or not killing people was secondary.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DrMcNinja's been pretty great lately.

:allears: Gordito.
http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/26p55/

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I dunno why the Doc saying that he outnumbers farmer-Doc is meant to be threatening. I'm way behind, but the inverse Ninja law is a real thing in that universe. A ninja is at his strongest when he is outnumbered, the more the better.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Because there's only one ninja. And a preteen gunman, a mummy, and the mayor the king of hobos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

IUG posted:

DrMcNinja's been pretty great lately.

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/26p55/

http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/26p58/

• Locked thread