Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

So has anyone heard any word on when any of these triband phones are coming out besides the LG phone? Do you think they'll be this year or not? I was digging around thinking about an upgrade when I was home on vacation but decided I ought to wait for those. I haven't had good experiences with LG phones so if that remains the only choice I'll probably ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
HTC One Max officially announced for Sprint. 1900 only on Sprint.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The iPhone 5s supports LTE on the 850MHz band too so that's an appealing option.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
I am thinking about moving from Sprint because my 4s is poo poo tier speed for data. Even with my SERO, paying 60 bucks after tax for dial up speeds is highly annoying. They keep telling me 4g will be in the area, but I was told that in 2008. I feel lied to. Anyone in Phoenix have more of a scoop?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Your 4S wouldn't be able to take advantage of the 4G even if it was available in your area. I would ask someone you know with a 4G phone about how the coverage is in your area.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Azn Sensation posted:

I am thinking about moving from Sprint because my 4s is poo poo tier speed for data. Even with my SERO, paying 60 bucks after tax for dial up speeds is highly annoying. They keep telling me 4g will be in the area, but I was told that in 2008. I feel lied to. Anyone in Phoenix have more of a scoop?

Phoenix as far as I know has 4G LTE, I think a goon in this thread very recently even commented on his 4G LTE speeds in Phoenix. Regardless though, the iphone 4s does not support 4G LTE. 3G only.

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
Sorry I should have clarified. I know I can't get 4G, which is why I got a 4S, however I am up for an upgrade but my 3G speed has been godawful in comparison to my other friends that have other carriers 3G. I was wanting to know from a non sales rep if any goons here have had any success with 4G and if it would be worth keeping for 2 more years, or just moving to tmobile for more money (but more speed, maybe?)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Sorry I should have clarified. I know I can't get 4G, which is why I got a 4S, however I am up for an upgrade but my 3G speed has been godawful in comparison to my other friends that have other carriers 3G. I was wanting to know from a non sales rep if any goons here have had any success with 4G and if it would be worth keeping for 2 more years, or just moving to tmobile for more money (but more speed, maybe?)

Just move to t-mobile man.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't think the 4s works with T-Mobile's HSPA+, but if you're willing to buy a new phone it's only $70 for unlimited data and minutes/text

I can get about 8mbps down on HSPA, maybe double that on LTE.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Sprint 4g speeds in my area are better than some of the other carriers, but the 3g does suck. Also in my area t-mobile sucks for speeds. Verizon/AT&T are much better than them.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

4G speeds are fine when you get them. The problem right now is the hand-off from 4G to 3G is terrible and its hard to get 4G coverage inside.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

mcpringles posted:

4G speeds are fine when you get them. The problem right now is the hand-off from 4G to 3G is terrible and its hard to get 4G coverage inside.

This is a fair assessment. The rollout process sucks when you're in it. However, I've heard of people getting bill credits from customer care for service interruptions.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Basically coverage sucks regardless of anything you try to do. Just switch.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sprint Megathread: Switch to T-Mobile

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Sprint has LTE where I live, but it was barely faster than their 3G service (like, 1mbps most of the time), so I switched to T-Mobile about a month ago. Their 3G here is actually faster than Sprint's LTE. So, instead of getting 1-2mbps, I'm getting speeds like this:

It probably helps that I live a couple miles from T-Mobile's US headquarters, but still.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Guess Sprint may get some Carrier Exclusive games out of this deal as well?

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
So today I tried to make a call and got error 16. It took 3 calls, an elevated ticket and all day to get it fixed. What I want to know is: what exactly is error 16? All google has told me is that it's some security thing, but I was hoping some of you Sprint/ex-Sprint goons could sate my curiosity.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

1st AD posted:

Sprint Megathread: Switch to T-Mobile

More like go with Verizon because T-Mobile might be merging with Sprint; http://www.zdnet.com/t-mobile-cfo-floats-sprint-merger-boat-not-if-but-when-7000021167/

The Azn Sensation
Mar 9, 2009
Blarg. I don't want to have Sprint towers gently caress up the 4G goodness. But Verizon is horrible too. Which shafting do I want. Decisions.

Thanks for the help!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

I said come in! posted:

More like go with Verizon because T-Mobile might be merging with Sprint; http://www.zdnet.com/t-mobile-cfo-floats-sprint-merger-boat-not-if-but-when-7000021167/

Seems like this rumor pops up every six months, but how would a full merger even work. Would T-Mobile go CDMA? Would Sprint go GSM (we can only hope)? Either way, half the customers get hosed.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Eh, the Nexus 5 allegedly has antennas for both GSM and CDMA, right?

It would basically just be a phone generation or two of awkwardness like Nextel wouldn't it?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I think the "not if but when" moment is when networks can easily handle voice over LTE and carriers figure out how to market it. Any TMobile/Sprint merger would be with eyes on an all-LTE network. Sprint has already gone down the road of merging with a completely incompatible network. I don't see them doing that again.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

ryanbruce posted:

Yes, it has bands that would support Sprint. But lacks Verizon compatible bands.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

ryanbruce posted:

It would basically just be a phone generation or two of awkwardness like Nextel wouldn't it?

It'd probably run like the Nextel merger - support two systems for a while, merge the billing systems, encourage people to switch to phones on the surviving network, then eventually shut down the other one.

That said, the Nextel merger was a horrible experience for Nextel users, except for the rare ones that wanted smartphones. IDEN's data was worse than Sprint 3G's worst day. But a lot of people got talked into phones on a network with way worse coverage that's only now starting to get close, and for a long time customer service was just hosed.

I worked at AT&T at the time, we got soooo many Nextel ports.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Because merging two completely different cellphone systems worked so well for Sprint last time...

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FlyingCheese posted:

Because merging two completely different cellphone systems worked so well for Sprint last time...

To be fair, someone from T-Mobile said it, not Sprint.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I'm taking a trip to Turkey soon and I want to be able to use my old iPhone 5 over there. Can I get Sprint to unlock it and be able to pop in a SIM card from a family member over there and use their gsm network or will I just have to use sprints international service?

Mr. Ali
Oct 2, 2003
gay man
I found a lot of misinformation online about the state of cellular service for tourists in Turkey. I was in Istanbul the first week of this month and at the airport Vodafone wanted to charge me 110 Lira for a SIM card with 1GB of data and some amount of calling credit. Since this was about $55 US I passed. The next day I stopped by a TurkCell shop (cell carrier in Turkey, theirs literally 1 on every street in Istanbul) and the guy quoted me 80 Lira for a SIM card, 1GB of data and 5 Lira of calling credit. The calling credit was completely useless since the 5 Lira was essentially 3 minutes of talk time to the united states. The 1GB of data was nice, they have a GSM HSPA network that shows up as 4G on my phone (Non-LTE 4G). I consistently received about 3Mbps down on speed tests so speed was not an issue.

For calls to the US I installed a VOIP app called WiCall (I have Android) that only costs $0.01 per minute to the US. Because I had data everywhere I could make calls when out and about. No one could call me though but with Google Voice SMS people could text me over the internet and I could call them via my WiCall app.

My phone is a Galaxy S4 on AT&T. I had to call AT&T for them to give me my phones unlock code which was not an issue since AT&T gives you unlock codes as long as you have had your phone for 3+ months. Not sure how Sprint works. Does the iPhone 5 on Sprint take SIM cards or is it CDMA only? If its CDMA only then you are boned.

Note that your SIM/Phone will stop working after about 10 days from the first day you use it. For me this was not an issue since I was in Turkey for only 1 week. If you are staying longer you can register your phone via Turkey for something like 100 Lira and you can continue you use your phone in Turkey if needed.

EDIT: I just noticed you mentioned you want to pop a relatives SIM card. Not sure how that works with the whole SIM card registration thing. You could always try it, either it will:
1. Work without issues
2. Work without issues but cause issues for your relative since that SIM is probably registered for use with only your relatives phone
3. Wont work at all

If it doesn't work then just buy your own SIM card. It was the best purchase I made during my trip. Used google maps, tripadvisor and made VOIP calls/skype on the go and it was extremely convenient.

Mr. Ali fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 18, 2013

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

In case anyone was on the fence about switching to Sprint, let me help sway you - run. Hampton Roads area of Virginia gives you maybe a bar in my apartment, no signal at work (have to put it into airplane mode or the battery is dead before I get off) and when it switches between 3G and 4G, whatever you're downloading (a webpage, google map's traffic) will just stop dead. The only solution I've found is to switch off 4G all together because with it enabled I can't seem to download anything unless I'm in the heart of downtown.

Oh my god it's terrible service. At least I have unlimited everything which really helps when someone sends me a text and Sprint sends it to my phone over 15 times in a row over the next 10 hours.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"
Well Sprint, it's been 12yrs but it's time to start winding down our relationship.

Thankfully they're waiving the ETF since I live in Ireland, but I was hoping to find a way to come back to the plan once I moved back to the states.

Unfortunately my cellphone number is more valuable to me than my phone plan, so Sprint loses the tug of war game. Guess I better get a phone ready to send back to the states so I can reroute all the texts that are going to blow up my phone when it's first turned on.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The rumored tri-band-LTE Samsung Galaxy S4 has appeared on the FCC's site.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ryanbruce posted:

Well Sprint, it's been 12yrs but it's time to start winding down our relationship.

Thankfully they're waiving the ETF since I live in Ireland, but I was hoping to find a way to come back to the plan once I moved back to the states.

Unfortunately my cellphone number is more valuable to me than my phone plan, so Sprint loses the tug of war game. Guess I better get a phone ready to send back to the states so I can reroute all the texts that are going to blow up my phone when it's first turned on.

How long have you been gone? Anecdotally text messages seem to time out after a while. I was out of the country about two months and didn't receive any of the texts my friends said they sent.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

935 posted:

Oh my god it's terrible service.

OCMD area living and a previous Sprint customer but now on Verizon. People always ask me how the new iPhone is and I tell them that it's pretty much the same thing as the iPhone 5 but that the big difference is being on Verizon's service which is actually usable here.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

averox posted:

OCMD area living and a previous Sprint customer but now on Verizon. People always ask me how the new iPhone is and I tell them that it's pretty much the same thing as the iPhone 5 but that the big difference is being on Verizon's service which is actually usable here.

Off-topic I did low light test pictures with the 5 and 5s, and the camera on the 5s is quiet a jump.

Also since I got LTE in my area Sprint has been pretty drat good. Not Verizon good, but good enough that I no longer have a desire to change. I still have a few issues here and there, but I am actual happy the first time in years with my service.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

nate fisher posted:

Off-topic I did low light test pictures with the 5 and 5s, and the camera on the 5s is quiet a jump.

Also since I got LTE in my area Sprint has been pretty drat good. Not Verizon good, but good enough that I no longer have a desire to change. I still have a few issues here and there, but I am actual happy the first time in years with my service.

The camera is a whole lot better and a hell of a lot quicker. That is one thing I tell people about the 5S. Otherwise it'd fly over people's heads if I started getting any more technical.

My problem is that I live in Verizon territory. A majority of the people here use Verizon here and Sprint would be kind of wasting their money trying to rollout 4G as quickly here than other markets.

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

CharlesM posted:

How long have you been gone? Anecdotally text messages seem to time out after a while. I was out of the country about two months and didn't receive any of the texts my friends said they sent.

Nearly a month now.

I'm going to send the phone back with someone heading home on Nov 7th, so hopefully at least *something* will still be there. I'm just going to root one of my old Sprint phones (keeping my SIII with me here until I ditch it) and install a remote control app + SMS backup to Gmail app.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe
Is there some way to transfer a number on my account to different account holder that doesn't involve filling out some forms online and uploading corresponding ID?

Not only that, is there a way for a number on my account to split off and create a new account under their own name/credit without having to fill out the same form? In the latter case, the guy can't even create a Sprint account to do the form because he's under my Sprint account.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

averox posted:

Is there some way to transfer a number on my account to different account holder that doesn't involve filling out some forms online and uploading corresponding ID?

Not only that, is there a way for a number on my account to split off and create a new account under their own name/credit without having to fill out the same form? In the latter case, the guy can't even create a Sprint account to do the form because he's under my Sprint account.

If you're both in the same place, a store can do it. There's still a form, but it's pretty quick.

You validate the existing account and we get the account number, phone number(s) to move, and your signature. Then we run credit on the new account holder to create their account (unless they already have one), they sign the same form, and we have our customer service people move the line(s). Note that the actual plan doesn't move, just the number, device, and remaining contract time. They would have to jump on an Everything My Way in all likelihood, since that's all we can provision now.

It's a little trickier if there's a deposit involved. At our store we can do it with cash, but a store with a payment kiosk could probably take whatever, or you might be able to do it over the phone afterwards.

And don't even think about it if you are already on One Up or want to be on that line. If that line is on One Up, you'll get a bill for the rest of the phone since the payment agreement doesn't transfer. And the One Up eligibility resets, I've been told it has to stay on the new account for a year before you can get it. Care might be able to fix the latter issue, but it's not guaranteed.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

Fun Shoe

TVs Ian posted:

If you're both in the same place, a store can do it. There's still a form, but it's pretty quick.

You validate the existing account and we get the account number, phone number(s) to move, and your signature. Then we run credit on the new account holder to create their account (unless they already have one), they sign the same form, and we have our customer service people move the line(s). Note that the actual plan doesn't move, just the number, device, and remaining contract time. They would have to jump on an Everything My Way in all likelihood, since that's all we can provision now.

It's a little trickier if there's a deposit involved. At our store we can do it with cash, but a store with a payment kiosk could probably take whatever, or you might be able to do it over the phone afterwards.

And don't even think about it if you are already on One Up or want to be on that line. If that line is on One Up, you'll get a bill for the rest of the phone since the payment agreement doesn't transfer. And the One Up eligibility resets, I've been told it has to stay on the new account for a year before you can get it. Care might be able to fix the latter issue, but it's not guaranteed.

I knew I forgot to mention something. My biggest problem is lack of physical access to both a store and the people who the numbers are being transferred to. This is becoming an annoyingly long process just because of that and I can't afford the six hour round-trip just to take care of this crap.

Everyone is still on the old 1500 minutes family share plan so that's no big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

averox posted:

I knew I forgot to mention something. My biggest problem is lack of physical access to both a store and the people who the numbers are being transferred to. This is becoming an annoyingly long process just because of that and I can't afford the six hour round-trip just to take care of this crap.

Everyone is still on the old 1500 minutes family share plan so that's no big deal.

If the lines you want to transfer are out of contract, you could just port the numbers out to Google Voice (create a new gmail account for each) and the people can then create a new account with Sprint or wherever. They can then either continue to use GV or port back to the carrier.

That all will still work if they're in contract, but then you'll get hit with an ETF.