Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I started a cloche hat the other day and was almost finished when I ran out of yarn. I really liked the yarn and pattern, but I have no idea what the yarn is or where to get more because it was from a swap. I only had 6 or 7 rows left, too. :sigh:

I ended up ripping the entire thing back and restarting. Went up one needle size because it was a little small anyway, made the brim a bit shorter, and hopefully that'll do it. If not, I might add a stripe of contrasting color just above the brim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

... I have been doing Kitchener completely rear end-backwards. No wonder I thought I couldn't graft. :derp:

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

zamiel posted:

Hands down (or feet up?) the best sock pattern for a complete noob is Silver's Sock Class. There are three weight options and she walks you through each step clearly. Here's the Ravelry page, too. edit: it's also one of those recipes where you knit til it fits your measurements.

And of course the page is down right now, gently caress. Hopefully it's not for long.

Also of note there are cuff down, so if you'd rather do toe up, I've never done those so I wouldn't know.

I used this for my first pair of socks as well. Couldn't agree more.

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

zamiel posted:

Hands down (or feet up?) the best sock pattern for a complete noob is Silver's Sock Class. There are three weight options and she walks you through each step clearly. Here's the Ravelry page, too. edit: it's also one of those recipes where you knit til it fits your measurements.

And of course the page is down right now, gently caress. Hopefully it's not for long.

Also of note there are cuff down, so if you'd rather do toe up, I've never done those so I wouldn't know.

Holy crap, I totally understood what was going on. It was like a light bulb went off in my head. Thank you for this! I have been really scared of socks since I started (it may be the only thing I have not tried yet, aside from intensive colorwork), but now I really want to try it.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I actually bought a sock pattern from this site for my first pair, they had really helpful instructions and a picture of a sock done with each section in different yarn so you could see how it all fits together.( Warning, their yarn is loving adorable so browse that site with caution. ) Honestly socks are piss-easy once you figure out what's going on, I like them more than hats now and they chew up way more yarn in less time. I've been offering oddball socks to my friends to use up spare balls and they've all been really excited about the idea of Handmade Socks and are giving me way too much credit for making them.

ed: does the sweater curse apply to socks, too? I've heard conflicting reports :ohdear:

fuzzy_logic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 11, 2013

Zratha
Nov 28, 2004

It's nice to see you

zamiel posted:

That is the sock pattern I am currently using too! So far I am still just ribbing, but it taught me to use 4 DPNs easily. Next I'm gonna try one of her circular tutorials.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

zamiel posted:

Thank you!

I was looking for something exactly like this to do some Christmas socks. It's like the thread read my mind.

Also, a LYS finally opened up near me (I'd been using Jo Ann's for all my yarn needs) and I think I might go broke very soon. They have such luxurious yarns and open knitting nights. It's two buildings down from where I work. My will power is failing even though my stash is quite big enough. Or at least I thought it was. Just shelves and shelves of hand spun wool (some of it they do on site). http://knothouseyarns.com/

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

loving colorwork.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
This may be a stupid question, but...On the subject of socks-I tend to go through (i.e. wear out/get holes in) store bought socks fairly quickly. This may be because they are cheap and shoddily made, but if I start making my own socks and I wear a hole in them, can they be repaired? And if so, how would I go about doing that?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Yes, they can be repaired. I have a set of socks I made a few years ago that I had to darn the heels and toes in.

Secondly, there's a lot of tutorials out there--it's called darning. Knitpicks has a whole section http://tutorials.knitpicks.com/wptutorials/category/video-classes/kerins-intro-to-sock-darning/, and a quick google has a ton more options too.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

FelicityGS posted:

Yes, they can be repaired. I have a set of socks I made a few years ago that I had to darn the heels and toes in.

Secondly, there's a lot of tutorials out there--it's called darning. Knitpicks has a whole section http://tutorials.knitpicks.com/wptutorials/category/video-classes/kerins-intro-to-sock-darning/, and a quick google has a ton more options too.

Thanks!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Handmade socks, if done right (good sock yarn (tightly plied, 3+ plies, nylon or silk content), tightly knit, fitted well), will also last much MUCH longer than a storebought sock. I can go through one of those in literally one or two wearings, but I've yet to go through a sock I've knit so long as I catch a weak spot and reinforce it before it becomes a hole. And that's the best way to maintain them too, patch them up BEFORE a weak spot becomes a hole.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Pucklynn posted:

loving colorwork.

Are you doing some demented stranding/intarsia combo? Why so many little balls of the same color? If you really need the individual balls yarn bobbins will save your sanity.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I've been bitten by the spinning bug!

I've got my first little hank of about 50 yards hanging to dry and I can't wait to see how it turned out and knit it up into nothing useful :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Dead Cow posted:

I've been bitten by the spinning bug!

I've got my first little hank of about 50 yards hanging to dry and I can't wait to see how it turned out and knit it up into nothing useful :3:

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337961

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

I have one ounce of alpaca roving coming from that Kickstarter from the Chilean alpaca farm. Except I have no idea what the hell to do with it. I don't know if I will get into it but I do want to try it out. Are there less expensive tools to buy to try out spinning?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

ackapoo posted:

I have one ounce of alpaca roving coming from that Kickstarter from the Chilean alpaca farm. Except I have no idea what the hell to do with it. I don't know if I will get into it but I do want to try it out. Are there less expensive tools to buy to try out spinning?

From what the internet has shown me, all you need is literally a stick stuck through something vaguely roundish to make a spindle.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

Dead Cow posted:

From what the internet has shown me, all you need is literally a stick stuck through something vaguely roundish to make a spindle.

It looks that way, but a poorly balanced spindle makes for an extremely painful experience.

Try a Greensleeves Bare Bones spindle. It's pretty inexpensive, and perfectly balanced. It'll make your first experience so much better than most of us had.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I did almost nothing but knit today and as a result I only have 9 rounds left to do on that hat I linked earlier. I started on the 8th, pulled it all out and restarted on the 10th because the ribbing wasn't long enough, and now it's almost done!

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
So, who wants to start knitting sweaters for penguins?!

"Skeinz, a yarn store in New Zealand, is calling on knitters throughout the world to knit sweaters for the penguins affected by a massive oil spill that occurred earlier this month. The tiny sweaters, while eliciting aww's and squee's, serve a very important function: they prevent the oil-soaked birds from poisoning themselves by preening."

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Hey, if anyone here is from Vancouver BC and/or is coming to Knit City come to my table (Drama Llama) and say hi or ask me if I have stairs in my house or whatever.

I am selling stuff but I am also planning on buying buttloads of yarn - currently very excited about Rain City Knits. Also Gourmet Crafter - her sock yarn is always incredibly gorgeous and super good quality.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Waddley Hasselhoff posted:

So, who wants to start knitting sweaters for penguins?!

"Skeinz, a yarn store in New Zealand, is calling on knitters throughout the world to knit sweaters for the penguins affected by a massive oil spill that occurred earlier this month. The tiny sweaters, while eliciting aww's and squee's, serve a very important function: they prevent the oil-soaked birds from poisoning themselves by preening."

Don't go casting on, that's story is from 2011. On the bright side: they received more than enough penguin jumpers.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

jota23 posted:

It looks that way, but a poorly balanced spindle makes for an extremely painful experience.

Try a Greensleeves Bare Bones spindle. It's pretty inexpensive, and perfectly balanced. It'll make your first experience so much better than most of us had.

That's what I learned on, and it's pretty good. It's a little heavier than I tend to use nowadays, but it's great for beginners and should make a good spindle for thick yarn or plying later.

I don't know of any other good spindle makers, since after that I found a couple spindles made locally and just used those. Check if your LYS has a spinning section maybe?

ackapoo
Nov 15, 2007

fun leads to abortions!

jota23 posted:

That's perfect. I shall have to purchase that soon!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."

MarsDragon posted:

That's what I learned on, and it's pretty good. It's a little heavier than I tend to use nowadays, but it's great for beginners and should make a good spindle for thick yarn or plying later.

If you are interested in the same type of cheap spindle, but want something lighter, her bare bonsie is what you're looking for.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

My faaavorite cheapo spindle (and the one I've used the most still at this point even though I have a few $30-50+ ones in my collection) is the Schacht Hi-lo. Very very good balance, you can try it as both a top or bottom whorl (I use mine as a bottom) to see which you like more, and only about twenty bucks. Only thing is the smallest one is 1.1oz, and they go up to like 3oz, so they're not the lighest ones out there, but 1oz is great for learning on. A lot of the spindles in learn-to-spin kits are REALLY heavy for some reason, like 2oz+.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
I've been working on the same Wingspan for almost a year. It isn't hard, I haven't had any problems with it a minute and a crochet hook couldn't fix, but I just can't seem to get up the motivation to finish it. Seriously, at one and a half triangles plus the collar section to go, not finishing it would be silly. I just haven't felt like knitting in a long time. I knit a few rows and then my left hand starts to hurt and I quit. I also have a Malabrigo Rasta cowl to fihish, but I've lost track of where I am in the stupidly simple pattern, and I can't read rasta for poo poo. It's the dumbest, easiest two-hour project and I haven't touched it in months. It does seriously hurt my hands after a pattern repeat or two, but that's no excuse for taking 6+ months to make a short, fat scarf. I am in a slump.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Fionnoula posted:

Don't go casting on, that's story is from 2011. On the bright side: they received more than enough penguin jumpers.

God drat it, for a second I was like "I didn't hear about any new oil spills but YAAAY MORE PENGUIN SWEATERS!" Way to crush my dreams.

edit: GabrielAisling, it shouldn't make your hands hurt and it's okay to not want to do something that hurts you. That's just basic classical conditioning. Try learning continental (or if you already knit like a freak, learn to knit normal), or wearing a wrist brace, or somehow altering how you hold things to see if it's fixable. If it still hurts when you do it, it's okay to quit. It's a freaking hobby! It's supposed to be FUN. FUN I SAID GOD drat IT. I'll be over here cursing at this lace project.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
So I <3 Chiagoo needles, but does anybody have experience with their interchangeable set? I'm pretty sure they've been mentioned in this thread but it was a while ago and I don't have search... How are the quality of the joins? Once you twist the needles on, are they pretty good at staying on?

I have a KnitPicks wood set but it's like 5 years old and the cables are really degrading as they weren't hot stuff to begin with. It's a pity because I loooove the tips! They're the best balance of slippery and grippy (to my personal taste anyway) , but the cable joins especially have always been meh at best. Don't want that problem again!

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Phishi posted:

So I <3 Chiagoo needles, but does anybody have experience with their interchangeable set? I'm pretty sure they've been mentioned in this thread but it was a while ago and I don't have search... How are the quality of the joins? Once you twist the needles on, are they pretty good at staying on?

I have a KnitPicks wood set but it's like 5 years old and the cables are really degrading as they weren't hot stuff to begin with. It's a pity because I loooove the tips! They're the best balance of slippery and grippy (to my personal taste anyway) , but the cable joins especially have always been meh at best. Don't want that problem again!

You can, I think, also buy new cables. I think I've seen them on Amazon.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

I have the ChiaoGoo wood set and really my only complaint was the joins, a couple of them were slightly iffy. But I got one of the very first batches and I've heard they've worked that out by now.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
First thing I've finished since my daughter's birth that required any actual concentration.

(She turns two next month)
(Of course it's for her)

Bloomsbury Kids

Bluemsbury by pvtsprout, on Flickr

Bluemsbury by pvtsprout, on Flickr

And the Ravelry page for the project

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
To the sleeves on a Wonderful Wallaby and I'm totally in love with seemingly magic patterns. Like a lot of Elizabeth Zimmerman's projects are just mind blowing, especially that baby jacket. Not sure what to really call it, but I'm looking for suggestions of more! Hopefully I'll be done in another week and can share (it's my first sweater to boot)

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for

Fionnoula posted:

Oops, good catch!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

As far as interchangeable needles are concerned, I love my Knitter's Pride Dreamz set. My only complaint is that the join on one of the #6 needles in the set was hosed up, and I had to call Amazon support and get a partial refund to buy a replacement pair, since they are sold by a third party and fulfilled by Amazon.

Other than that, they're fantastic, and they look great. It was actually the #6 needles I did the hat on.

I just wish they came in sizes smaller than 4 so I could magic loop these socks.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
So I'm working on this pattern right now.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/persimmon-wrap

I just got to row nine and realized that I have no idea how to read this chart :v:

Can anyone help me out? I do best with having things written out line by line. If it helps, row 9 is the right side. TIA!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

rear end Crackers! posted:

So I'm working on this pattern right now.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/persimmon-wrap

I just got to row nine and realized that I have no idea how to read this chart :v:

Can anyone help me out? I do best with having things written out line by line. If it helps, row 9 is the right side. TIA!
Body Chart:
R1: p, ssk, yo, k, yo, k2tog, p
R2: k, p5, k
R3: p, k2, yo, k, yo, k2, p
R4: k, p7, k
R5: p, ssk, k, yo, k, yo, k, k2tog, p
R6: k, p7, k
R7: p, ssk, k3, k2tog, p
R8: k, p5, k
R9: p, ssk, k, k2tog, p
R10: k, p3, k
R11: p, yo, sk2p, yo, p
R12: k, p3, k
R13: p, k, yo, k, yo, k, p

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 17, 2013

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Fionnoula posted:

Body Chart:
R1: p, ssk, yo, k, yo, k2tog, p
R2: k, p5, k
R3: p, k2, yo, k, yo, k2, p
R4: k, p7, k
R5: p, ssk, k, yo, k, yo, k, k2tog, p
R6: k, p7, k
R7: p, ssk, k3, k2tog, p
R8: k, p5, k
R9: p, ssk, k, k2tog, p
R10: k, p3, k
R11: p, yo, sk2p, yo, p
R12: k, p3, k
R13: p, k, yo, k, yo, k, p

Thanks so much!

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

The lady at my LYS said that the knitter's pride dreamz and the knit picks are the same thing. After buying one of the dreamz tips and cords and comparing it to the knit picks one I had I have to agree. She said something about them being the same company and the internet agrees.

edit: OLD knit picks interchangables

"KnitPicks and Knitter's Pride needles used to be made by the same company, but that changed about 15 months ago when KnitPicks moved their production to China. The original Indian manufacturer still makes the Knitter's Pride (and Knit Pro) from U.S. wood."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Yeah, new Knit Picks needles are rear end. Knitter's Pride, however, are great.