Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shane didn't go nuts and try to kill Rick because he disagreed with how things were being run, that was just his own justification. Rick's return cost him Lori's attention and affection, which coupled with the fact that her kid was almost certainly his, was pretty clearly the only thing keeping him from wigging the gently caress out.

So much drama would've been averted in the show and comic if they'd just learned to ~swing~ with it.

Shane got what he deserved. Death by Rick was lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Shane didn't go nuts and try to kill Rick because he disagreed with how things were being run, that was just his own justification. Rick's return cost him Lori's attention and affection, which coupled with the fact that her kid was almost certainly his, was pretty clearly the only thing keeping him from wigging the gently caress out.

So much drama would've been averted in the show and comic if they'd just learned to ~swing~ with it.

The zombie apocalypse is no time to pair up. Frequent mating required.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rypakal posted:

The zombie apocalypse is no time to pair up. Frequent mating required.

They just to need steal concepts from Indian tribes which due to religious beliefs believe every male in the tribe is the father of new children.

This system also encourages all the dads to better share the heavy workload of raising new children and teaching them useful skills.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.
So, just something I was thinking about.

When Rick wakes up from his coma the dead have been rising for a less than specific amount of time but within three months right? Then with the start of season three and the time jump we're pretty close to a year from, uh, the "patient zero" event. Now with this years flash forward in addition to (maybe) the month or two that season three takes place over itwe're getting close to two years past "patient zero". Kirkman has never made any attempt at saying his inspiration (read: creativity) is Romero's works. Night of the Living Dead is of course over the course of one evening. Dawn of the Dead starts 3 months past NOTLD and goes on for another six to seven months after that. Day of the Dead is supposedly two and a half years after the events of NOTLD.

So based on the sliding Romero scale, and my boredom at the moment, I predict we'll see the following this season:

Organized decisive threats. The Governor was more of a twisted pied piper, I'm thinking roving gang.
Organized but not functional remnants of the United States Government (more than likely Military). I would discredit this because the entire point of the CDC excursion in the first season is to show that organized response is definitely gone, but that was under Darabont. We've been teased with Military components for the past three years in varying capacity. Time for the show to go full Romero and give us some "Government is bad, dudes."

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's hard to say, realistically Rick needed to wake up within days to avoid death by dehydration.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Well there is a lot more poo poo you can pile on top of that, like the fact he had a big rear end room all to himself in a hospital.

Tin Miss
Apr 8, 2009

Meow
If you watch the webisodes there was a doctor staying in Rick's hospital trying to help people.

I thought it was a really neat call-back when they showed the guy spray painting "Dead Inside, Do Not Open" on the ward doors at the end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Talking Zombies aren't that silly, depending on execution and what not. In the walking dead mythology where zombies don't breath it's silly but it's also silly that zombies would make any sort of vocalization given that they can't exhale air. In "The Remaining" books where the zombies are infected people and are not 'undead' they might sometimes utter words, it doesn't make the books a zany zombie comedy.

The absolute worst thing about last season was having them do an experiment to say "yup, absolutely nothing of the mind remains after you turn".

Morgan's wife in the first episode was terrifying because it was hinted part of her still knew who she was. She went home, tried to open the doorknob. She was beyond recovery, and dangerous, but the fact some spark of her might still be buried deep inside made it harder for Morgan to shoot her.

I wish they'd kept those sort of hints, because they not only make it harder to kill walkers, but they make death even more terrifying, without knowing how much of your memory remains, turning into a walker carries with it the threat of entering a literal living hell.

Along similar lines I would have nothing wrong with Irish lady having been on her way to becoming a walker. Maybe in some people the virus takes stronger hold, and can start to turn people while they are still alive. They are going to die and turn into walkers, but for a few hours you have to endure feeling the hunger grow, the rage building up, and the pain of your body starting to decay.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Her possibly being a walker also got mentioned on Talking Dead. I admit the idea makes no loving sense given how the show/comic works but it seemed like a possibility for a minute.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

No More Heroes posted:

I liked this part too, probably because it was messed up on so many levels. You start off thinking the chick is a zombie, then she might be a talking zombie, then you get this eerie foreboding about who or whats back at the camp and then theres the bag.

She probably re-animated too since pacifist doesn't wanna carry a gun anymore Rick just walked away from the whole scene. Would be awesome if she shows up somewhere with hubby head :v:

Sadly though I could argue that Telltale both did it first and did it better. I wonder if it was the germ of the idea for what happened on the show, honestly.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's hard to say, realistically Rick needed to wake up within days to avoid death by dehydration.

All zombie type shows seem to just gloss over that. 28 days later had the same issue

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Azhais posted:

All zombie type shows seem to just gloss over that. 28 days later had the same issue

Yeah and it's not just that either, piss and poo poo will pretty much eat through your skin if you sit around in your own filth for too long. Seeing the results of immobile people whose families didn't clean them is pretty horrifying.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

This was something that bothered the crap out me all through the first season and would continue to irk me whenever I thought about it.

Then, in the run up to the premiere, my wife and I sat and watched all of season 1 on Netflix. And on the cold opening, when Shane was in the hospital. The flowers on his nightstand were wilted. Hell, he could have woken up just a few hours after that (though he presumably didn't), I'm feeling a little better about some of the continuity lapses.

I think most of the issues come up from the editing, and hopefully, they'll iron those out.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Given that Kirkman said he'll *never* reveal what reanimates the dead, it's dumb to keep calling it a virus (or anything, really). If anything, the only organism capable of surviving in a dead host for long periods would be a prion, but since people suffer infections, colds, and the flu, blaming a bacteria or virus is always an easy crutch for writers.

That being said, the zombies falling through the roof and splattering on the ground exposes a big hole in a lot of zombie fiction - it doesn't matter if there's still an animus driving a body, eventually what's left of the the body is going to fall apart around the latticework holding it together.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's thetans. Scientology was right all along

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

gileadexile posted:

And on the cold opening, when Shane was in the hospital. The flowers on his nightstand were wilted. Hell, he could have woken up just a few hours after that (though he presumably didn't), I'm feeling a little better about some of the continuity lapses.

There's nothing to presume, it's bluntly stated that months passed while Rick was in the hospital. That's when his wife and Shane got together, the whole world fell apart, etc. The fact that it's technically impossible for Rick to have survived those months just lying by himself in a hospital room just sort of gets lumped in with "Well zombies are fictional magic monsters" as something you have to accept as the premise/setup of the show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

"The virus has mutated!! "

Its not that hard to imagine. It would change the whole show though.

Like I said when I was watching the episode, "If this shows pulls a zombie pig on us, I will be laughing all week until the next episode."

Rubber Slug
Aug 7, 2010

THE BLUE DEMON RIDES AGAIN

rivetz posted:

Also I think folks are totally overreaching on the dead-Millhouse stuff. Zombie somehow infected that pig, Millhouse got it from the pig somehow (betting we'll learn one or both somehow next episode), and now the water can't be trusted, one more reason they have to leave. I don't think the bloodshot eyes is anything beyond "hey here is a zombie with bloodshot eyes, [later] see this dude? His eyes are bloodshot because he's a zombie now

Nah man, bloodshot is different from "bleeding heavily from the eye sockets." It's clearly a symptom of the disease, that's why the did multiple closeups on that zombie's face.

Soulwrangler
May 15, 2005

But the kids love us.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That being said, the zombies falling through the roof and splattering on the ground exposes a big hole in a lot of zombie fiction - it doesn't matter if there's still an animus driving a body, eventually what's left of the the body is going to fall apart around the latticework holding it together.

It's basically just a waiting game. Realistically a walking corpse (got a headache just typing that) would probably succumb to rot and weathering within two years at the max. Not to bring up the Kirkman owes Romero a royalty check thing again but I'm sure he handwaves it away with the same pseudoscience that Romero used-- whatever it is that brings them back (be it biological, biblical, curse, radiation from Venus, etc) also slows the process of decay... somehow.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The woman mentioned how the zombie was "slowing down" because he wasn't eating, presumably she has fed him semi-recently wouldn't most zombies be super slow by now as I can't imagine they actually eat that much.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

socialsecurity posted:

The woman mentioned how the zombie was "slowing down" because he wasn't eating, presumably she has fed him semi-recently wouldn't most zombies be super slow by now as I can't imagine they actually eat that much.

The zombies are always what they need to be. They are not affected by anything that the plot does not immediately require them to be. Which does suck, but it makes the show more enjoyable when you accept the teleporting, ice and dehydration immune zombies that we've got.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

The zombies are always what they need to be. They are not affected by anything that the plot does not immediately require them to be. Which does suck, but it makes the show more enjoyable when you accept the teleporting, ice and dehydration immune zombies that we've got.

Not to mention the question of what's attracting the walkers to the prison.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Senor Tron posted:

Not to mention the question of what's attracting the walkers to the prison.

Could still be the noise from the battle between them and the "Woodburyians" at the prison. They've already said that all it takes is one or a few to hear a sound, then more to see the throng (however small or large) move in a specific direction, and decide to shamble along with them. Pretty soon you've got a city-ending herd. And they might just meander towards whatever smells the least, since smell = no food, and no smell = chance of food.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Like I said when I was watching the episode, "If this shows pulls a zombie pig on us, I will be laughing all week until the next episode."

Zombie animals would be pretty scary though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

various cheeses posted:

Uh if you have zombie animals you have zombie flies and then everybody is hosed

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

various cheeses posted:

The Newsflesh books have zombie animals. Any mammal over 40 pounds carries the virus. One scene they encounter zombie bear.

Myron
Jul 13, 2009

niethan posted:

Uh if you have zombie animals you have zombie flies and then everybody is hosed

Only if they find a way to kill humans, because everyone's infected anyway.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Myron posted:

Just takes a bite!

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Myron posted:

Yeah I guess if zombie mosquitos don't have the same rapidly killing you bite that zombie humans have they aren't very different from regular mosquitos.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
There's absolutely no reason for the animals to turn into rabid zombies. There's plenty of real diseases they could get that would stop them from being a food source and thus set up that challenge for the group.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Riffing off the "realism" theme (which is sort of silly but fun too so whatever), I don't see how the walkers haven't all decayed to nothing by now. They obviously rot away, but when and why does that rot stop? They obviously need to eat, but they don't eat one another, and how many humans are left?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Finndo posted:

Riffing off the "realism" theme (which is sort of silly but fun too so whatever), I don't see how the walkers haven't all decayed to nothing by now. They obviously rot away, but when and why does that rot stop? They obviously need to eat, but they don't eat one another, and how many humans are left?

They eat animals too.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

What the hell was D'Angelo trying to do to that zombie while he was trapped under the liquor shelf? It looked like he was peeling open his skill to poke it's brains with his finger.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

niethan posted:

They eat animals too.

True but again, how many can there be? Nowadays you see a lot of deer and raccoon but that is largely because we as a society don't hunt that much anymore. They used to be incredibly scarce, and I imagine that any large, slow, catchable-by-zombies animals would become very scarce very quickly after people stopped cultivating them and dead people started tearing them apart as soon as they got their hands on them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

What the hell was D'Angelo trying to do to that zombie while he was trapped under the liquor shelf? It looked like he was peeling open his skill to poke it's brains with his finger.
He was trying to just keep it away from him

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Finndo posted:

They don't need to eat. They perform the action of eating and chasing prey. They do not gain anything from the eating.

They rot at a defined rate called plot.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

He was definitely trying to do this.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

rypakal posted:

He was definitely trying to do this.

Yeah. I figured we'd get him shoving his hand in the zombie's head and ripping out the brain. Then we'd get a bunch of gifs with him saying, "Kali ma."

This was fantastic. And I never noticed Shane's head rubbing compulsion.

"Lori...ugh...she's the worst."

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 16, 2013

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Rewatch on season 3 now, first prison episodes are really not that great/Rick's group is weirdly characterized. Governor is not introduced right, he needed to be a lot more ambiguous.

E: actually I guess I remember a lot of people agreeing with him, the kinds of people like Blazing Ownager who think there's right and wrong tactics in a fictional zombie scenario.

e2: I totally forgot that the heads in jars is in the first episode where the governor is. Man they hosed up their character beats this first half of the season.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 16, 2013

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I was yelling at the tv "Hit the loving zombie in the head with a liquor bottle you gently caress!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Got to the episode where the guy Rick left alive lets all the zombies back into the prison. First good prison episode imo.

• Locked thread