Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

spregalia posted:

laptop problems
Not a legal answer, but have you tried buying a USB wifi adapter? For less than $40 you may have a working computer a lot faster. Here is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

Soylent Pudding posted:

As a first step have you asked them if they'll replace it with a new one?

Yes, I was told they would get back to me, but they'd probably want to put it through another round of depot service or two. After the four failed attempts at repair and ceaseless delays in their repair process (they've dragged it out over two months with a series of no show-no call missed in-home repairs and the like), I'm unwilling to keep playing this game. I really can't afford another couple weeks of lost work this semester because I can't re-install my software programs if they're going to keep reformatting my disk.

Cruseydr posted:

Not a legal answer, but have you tried buying a USB wifi adapter? For less than $40 you may have a working computer a lot faster. Here is one.

I've considered this, but that doesn't leave me whole.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

spregalia posted:

Yes, I was told they would get back to me, but they'd probably want to put it through another round of depot service or two. After the four failed attempts at repair and ceaseless delays in their repair process (they've dragged it out over two months with a series of no show-no call missed in-home repairs and the like), I'm unwilling to keep playing this game. I really can't afford another couple weeks of lost work this semester because I can't re-install my software programs if they're going to keep reformatting my disk.

IANAL but I do work in a tech oriented call center. There is probably no way that playing the get to someone who has authority game is worse than "sue them for a new pc game"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

spregalia posted:

I've considered this, but that doesn't leave me whole.

Any legal solution is going to take weeks anyway and cost a lot more than $40. What's more important to you, spending weeks at least being made whole or seeing if a USB dongle would make it work right now so you can get back to the work you need to be doing.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 9, 2013

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
I don't know if it's still popular enough to get results, but a friend of mine managed to get a laptop replaced quickly by contacting The Consumerist. Pretty soon after her story went up Dell got in touch with her to give her a new computer rather than try to repair her motherboard again.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Cruseydr posted:

Buy a mini-PCI wifi card by Intel. It's no harder than replacing RAM on a modern laptop, accessible through a trap door on the back. Just like RAM, it's considered user-serviceable and won't void your warranty.

Review the tech documents for your laptop model to ensure compatibility. Chances are there was an upgraded configuration of your model with a higher spec wifi card.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Well, I just found out the manufacturer is going to replace the unit. So hopefully that'll fully resolve the issue. Thanks for everyone's advice and help.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Sefer posted:

I don't know if it's still popular enough to get results, but a friend of mine managed to get a laptop replaced quickly by contacting The Consumerist. Pretty soon after her story went up Dell got in touch with her to give her a new computer rather than try to repair her motherboard again.

Yup, you can try the Consumerist Executive Mail Bomb. On the Consumerist you should be able to find the email address for Directors/VPs/President for the company. Follow their advice on crafting the email and let er rip. You should see results. If not contact the Consumerist and see if they're interested.

You can also try shooting them a tweet and asking for help. Sometimes you'll get a CSR on Twitter that has some pull.

edit - yay!

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
I am in the UK and I want to research conviction and sentencing for a specific subsection of cases.

The MoJ has recently published statistics in this area and I want to know which cases the statistics are drawn from, what should I ask for? Is there any identifier like a number for legal cases in the UK?

Further to this I want to investigate one case in depth, assuming it's not a family tribunal, would I be able to examine the police interview transcripts, written evidence etc. without a FOI request? AFAIK it should be publicly available, so I should be able to just find it, somehow...?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rolled Cabbage posted:

I am in the UK and I want to research conviction and sentencing for a specific subsection of cases.

The MoJ has recently published statistics in this area and I want to know which cases the statistics are drawn from, what should I ask for? Is there any identifier like a number for legal cases in the UK?

Further to this I want to investigate one case in depth, assuming it's not a family tribunal, would I be able to examine the police interview transcripts, written evidence etc. without a FOI request? AFAIK it should be publicly available, so I should be able to just find it, somehow...?

No. If you were doing this for an academic purpose then you would know how this works, which suggests that you (or 'a friend') are possibly doing something incredibly stupid and should just listen to what your solicitor says.

The CPS/Magistrate court websites contain sentencing guidelines for all offences.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
So, I talked about and asked a couple of questions in here re: small claims court for my case that went in today. I elected to wear a long-sleeve button-down shirt with tie and a pair of slacks, which, as it turned out, made me about the best-dressed person in there (several people were wearing jeans). I had all of my original documents with me in folders, and copies of everything I thought most germane and that I planned to mention organized into a binder with tabs so it would be easy to find.

King County (Seattle) has instant mediation for small claims, which they strongly encourage everyone to use, so I went ahead and agreed to it. The guy who showed up for the management corporation was a dude who had managed my apartment a few years ago (I went through a lot of managers), so I knew him. The mediator laid out the mediation process, asked me to lay out my case, so I went through it, keeping it relatively concise, but still hitting on my major points. After I was done, the moderator asked me a few questions and then turned to the guy there for the management company, who started by couching a bit, saying I wouldn't get double damages (which was probably true), and that he could make some arguments based on the amount of cleaning done. He then apologized for the lack of communication with the dispute people (he said they'd fired the dispute resolution guy in the middle of my dispute, so that was why they asked for where I'd lived after a month and a half of going back and forth), and then offered to pay me back all of my deposit plus all of my court fees.

The whole thing took about an hour from when I'd sat down in the court to when we left, and aside from winning double damages (which was a long shot, and not worth rolling the dice on the trial), was about the best outcome I could have hoped for. So, go legal system. And go mediation.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Hey, UK person here. I ordered a PS3 with a copy of GTAV about 3 weeks ago, and it has since become faulty as it freezes about a minute after I turn it on. This would be an easy case of getting a replacement through their return tracker, but they are out of stock at the moment so they are refusing to accept it right now, instead offering me a £200 refund, despite the fact it would cost me £275 to buy it now so it isn't much help. The big issue is that I only have 6 more days in which to return it via their return centre, and after this they say I'll need to contact Sony instead for a replacement at it is no longer their business, even though I have told them about it within the time limit.

Is this legal? I've said the product was faulty well within their return limit, however they are refusing to take it for a replacement since they have no stock at the moment, and by the time they do have stock I am likely to be outside their return time and tell me it's the manufacturer's problem now.

e: Amazon got back to me and extended the return limit to well past 30 days for this which is great, but I'm still interested in the response as a hypothetical.

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 11, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

whiteshark12 posted:

Hey, UK person here. I ordered a PS3 with a copy of GTAV about 3 weeks ago, and it has since become faulty as it freezes about a minute after I turn it on. This would be an easy case of getting a replacement through their return tracker, but they are out of stock at the moment so they are refusing to accept it right now, instead offering me a £200 refund, despite the fact it would cost me £275 to buy it now so it isn't much help. The big issue is that I only have 6 more days in which to return it via their return centre, and after this they say I'll need to contact Sony instead for a replacement at it is no longer their business, even though I have told them about it within the time limit.

Is this legal? I've said the product was faulty well within their return limit, however they are refusing to take it for a replacement since they have no stock at the moment, and by the time they do have stock I am likely to be outside their return time and tell me it's the manufacturer's problem now.

e: Amazon got back to me and extended the return limit to well past 30 days for this which is great, but I'm still interested in the response as a hypothetical.

How much did you pay for it?

If £200, then completely legal
If >£200, then completely illegal

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
My girlfriend got a DUI the other night, can anyone recommend a good website for information that isn't some lawyer trying to drum up business? We're in California. Also, if someone with experience can tell me the average penalty for a first DUI here I'd appreciate it. No priors, very cooperative with police at the scene.

\/ Sorry, I meant a website just for getting accurate information from. I don't know much about the situation so I'm just worried I won't be able to tell when the information ends and the sales pitch begins\/

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 12, 2013

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

themrguy posted:

My girlfriend got a DUI the other night, can anyone recommend a good website for information that isn't some lawyer trying to drum up business?

Why would you want someone who doesn't want business?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A good lawyer will tell you you need a lawyer to save your hide from a DUI mushroom cloud. So will this thread. The OP has good info on finding a solid lawyer.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

themrguy posted:

My girlfriend got a DUI the other night, can anyone recommend a good website for information that isn't some lawyer trying to drum up business? We're in California. Also, if someone with experience can tell me the average penalty for a first DUI here I'd appreciate it. No priors, very cooperative with police at the scene.

\/ Sorry, I meant a website just for getting accurate information from. I don't know much about the situation so I'm just worried I won't be able to tell when the information ends and the sales pitch begins\/

The fine is about 2k, the jail is 2 days to 6 months, there is a DUI class, and probably 3 years of probation. And 2 points. And a 6 month license suspension.
She needs a lawyer. If she will qualify for a public defender (aka poor), I'd probably go that way as we'll go to trial without taking a lot of money. the way you do that is show up to arraignment say "I want an attorney" and basically nothing else.

Oh and she has like 10 days to contest the license suspension. She has to call them now. It is on the temporary license thing she got (think it is a pink paper maybe). She needs to read all that paper with a fine tooth comb. If she doesn't do that, even if she beats the case, she gets a license suspension.
She is not entitled to a PD on that, but a private lawyer is advisable if you're hiring one anyhow. That said, she needs to start this process ASAP and should not wait for an attorney before getting the ball rolling.

Do not do this without a lawyer. I see pro pers take poo poo deals all the time. That said, 90% of the time, these cases are losers, but it really really pays if you're in the 10%.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
How much leeway do employees usually have to negotiate training agreements/employment contracts? I know that sometimes you can negotiate on leases, but I don't think it's really the same thing. The company is headquartered in OK if that matters.

I've been at my current job for approx. 1.5 years. I'm next in line to receive some pretty technical/intensive training that is the step up to a better/more skilled job. Before this happens, they want me to sign a "Training Agreement" stipulating that should I 'voluntarily terminate or be terminated' within 6 months of moving up, I owe them $3000 (within a year would be $1500). I'm guessing that this isn't particularly uncommon? A lot of people used to get this training and immediately jump ship to competitors, so I understand the reasoning, whatever.

Would I be out of my mind to try and get them to add a minor edit to my particular contract to stipulate that this $3000 voluntary termination fee would only apply if I voluntarily terminated for employment at a competing business?

(TL;DR: My stepdad hasn't been doing so great recently, and if he has another major health event I will probably need to go home (to Florida) and help out. I work in the oilfield - I would not be able to use the training they are going to provide at any job even near my family. I could eat that $3000 if I had to - it would hurt but I could do it. It just feels a little mean spirited to have to pay $3000 for the privilege of going home to take care of my sick dad.)

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Plenty of things are negotiable and I'm sure that's one of them. You can try but they might just decide to not train you instead.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003
On the training agreement, I've negotiated before for those.

You can usually negotiate to not have to pay back training if you are laid off or terminated for non-criminal actions, but I doubt they'll let you off the hook to go take care of your dad. It's one thing to ask not to have to pay back if you are let go, another thing to request not to pay if you quit for personal reasons.

It's possible, but not likely. Depending on what your relationship with the company is like, you could always tell them what is going on and explain why you are declining the training. Just because declining training and pay raises is a red flag to a lot of people. Be aware that this could also backfire and result in them replacing you preemptively.

If you know the time line you might be leaving in, do the math on taking the training and saving everything of your raise that you will get, and see when your break even point is. If you will most likely come out ahead, take the training, just be disciplined and save the money.

Also (this is kind of hard to thinks about, but reasonable) consider that after your dad passes, you will have to go back to work. Will this training give you a certificate or anything else that will make it easier to be hired elsewhere at that time?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
You can always try to negotiate, but the reason for those sort of agreements is that training costs the company money and they want a way to recoup their investment if you up and leave right after training. I doubt they would care about your reasons for leaving; it still leaves them out the cost of your training and without the value of having a trained employee to show for it. If they really don't want you working for a competitor, they'll just make you sign a non-compete agreement anyway (and not give you anything in return for that other than not firing you on the spot).

You might also want to consider that trying to negotiate that payback clause, even if you don't explain your reasons, pretty clearly says "I'm planning on leaving this company within the next six months," which, depending on how your company treats potential short-timers, could end with you being involuntarily replaced much sooner than you'd planned.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

If the training really is all that valuable, then what's the return on investment of breaking the contract?

Scenario 1: take the training and manage to stay with the company through the lock-up period. You come out ahead.

Scenario 2: You take the training and end up having to move. You explain the situation, apologize and say you'd love to come back once you sort out your issues in Florida. If the company wants to enforce the contract, you offer a payment plan. A plan that is contingent on finding work would be nice. You can probably part on good terms, get a positive recommendation, and maybe even get some leads for putting your new skills to work. You come out ahead.

Scenario 3: You don't take the training and sit in career limbo waiting to see if things blow up in Florida. Meanwhile, the opportunity has passed you by and this particular employer doesn't see you as "career track."

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I have an interesting situation involving a completely bullshit speeding ticket I'm trying to fight in Ohio. Long story short there is a short side street on my 22 mile each way journey that I have taken for 3 years where cops sit often enough to the point where I expect one to be there EVERY TIME so I make a conscious effort to not speed on it. The road is 35 miles an hour and about 5 seconds before we would come into view of each other I look and I am going 42, so naturally I slow down just a little bit as I see him. He pulls me over and claims he clocked me going 55 and I politely ask to see the readout of the speed he supposedly clocked me at and he won't show me. He claimed he could also tell because I was "pulling away from traffic" despite the fact that there was literally no one behind me and during the time I was pulled over and maybe one or two cars passed us in 10-15 minutes.

I contacted the department and asked if they have dash cameras because he was facing me head on from a parking lot and after a 7 minute hold I was told no. I know this is a situation of my word against an officers but it is bullshit that the only evidence I could use to plead my case is either not available (such as "not having a dash cam" in a 2013 brand new cruiser) or withheld from me such as an actual readout of the speed I was doing. I'm not trying to weasel my way out of a ticket I don't feel like paying, I am trying to prove what actually happened. It's gotten to the point where I am trying to contact businesses along that stretch of road to see if they have security cameras facing that direction. Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to pay more for a lawyer than what my ticket would end up being.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Speeding tickets are revenue generators and not some justice thing. You could fight it but the odds are not good. You may be right, but that does not really matter. Judges believe cops over you 99 times out of 100.

themrguy posted:

can anyone recommend a good website for information that isn't some lawyer trying to drum up business?

An excellent opening in a thread full of lawyers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What're ya gonna do, sue him? :v:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Anyone here deal with bail bondsman? I was watching an episode of Dog and Beth, and she is completely obnoxious with people. She'll go into someone's house, claim to have a warrant (I assume she does), with a crew wearing all sorts of badges and vests that say "AGENT" on them. Then when the resident tells her to leave (after they've determined the fugitive is not there), she gets up in their face and says "make me".

On what grounds would she have to refuse the homeowner's demand that she leave the premises, once it's clear that the fugitive they're looking for isn't there? Is there something in bail bond law that "deputizes" them with that kind of authority? I mean, I realize much of those shows are staged, but that particular thing happens so often on the show that I'd imagine that it's something that they do off-camera as well, and I'm just picturing some redneck racking a shotgun and saying "here's how I'm going to make you. Get the gently caress out. :getout:"

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

hello internet posted:

I have an interesting situation involving a completely bullshit speeding ticket I'm trying to fight in Ohio. Long story short there is a short side street on my 22 mile each way journey that I have taken for 3 years where cops sit often enough to the point where I expect one to be there EVERY TIME so I make a conscious effort to not speed on it. The road is 35 miles an hour and about 5 seconds before we would come into view of each other I look and I am going 42, so naturally I slow down just a little bit as I see him. He pulls me over and claims he clocked me going 55 and I politely ask to see the readout of the speed he supposedly clocked me at and he won't show me. He claimed he could also tell because I was "pulling away from traffic" despite the fact that there was literally no one behind me and during the time I was pulled over and maybe one or two cars passed us in 10-15 minutes.

If you regularly go down a street and a cop is sitting there LITERALLY EVERY TIME why do you even speed on that road at all? Like, you know he's gonna be there, just go 30 instead of 35. Although you might get to work 45 seconds later, it's a risk you might want to take next time.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Leif. posted:

Anyone here deal with bail bondsman? I was watching an episode of Dog and Beth, and she is completely obnoxious with people. She'll go into someone's house, claim to have a warrant (I assume she does), with a crew wearing all sorts of badges and vests that say "AGENT" on them. Then when the resident tells her to leave (after they've determined the fugitive is not there), she gets up in their face and says "make me".

On what grounds would she have to refuse the homeowner's demand that she leave the premises, once it's clear that the fugitive they're looking for isn't there? Is there something in bail bond law that "deputizes" them with that kind of authority? I mean, I realize much of those shows are staged, but that particular thing happens so often on the show that I'd imagine that it's something that they do off-camera as well, and I'm just picturing some redneck racking a shotgun and saying "here's how I'm going to make you. Get the gently caress out. :getout:"

I'm assuming it would depend on the state as someplace like Oregon doesn't even allow bounty hunters.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Leif. posted:

That show is still on? I remember watching it in it's first year and every time they got a whiff of their target they would point their pepper-spray in the faces of every Joe Schmoe walking his dog and tell them "back the gently caress up!"

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Human Tornada posted:

That show is still on? I remember watching it in it's first year and every time they got a whiff of their target they would point their pepper-spray in the faces of every Joe Schmoe walking his dog and tell them "back the gently caress up!"

It's apparently a different show than Dog The Bounty Hunter. That one was in Hawaii and was his agency. His sons basically said "gently caress you Dad, you're a piece of poo poo" and peaced out for their own thing (I think one has a tactical supply company and I don't know what the other one does). This one is essentially Bar Rescue/Kitchen Nightmares for bail bonds. He goes around to failing bond agencies and "fixes" them. Which is 90% him just catching people for them while his wife tries to start fights, and 10% occasional segments where they point out all the horrible paperwork/admin flaws the agencies have.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
In Kentucky

Would anyone have an idea of what "reasonable heating" as to tenant rights? SO and I moved into a lovely house (didn't seem THAT bad when I was looking at it) in February last year and discovered that the HVAC system is from the 50s. There's only 1 vent in every room (the rooms are around 13x13 to 15x15 sqft) and they're in the ceiling so it never gets to the ground floor. Ceilings are warm when I've been up there so the heater does work. It barely hits 55-65 during the coldest months and we have to constantly have the heater running. We were basically stuck in front of our space heaters in 1 room and using the oven to heat the house after dinner. Oh and there are no ceiling fans.

Here's the exact text

quote:

KRS 383.590 of the Landlord/Tenant Act requires the landlord to:
* adhere to all building and housing codes that affect health and safety. Such codes include any laws or regulations pertaining to the habitability, construction, maintenance, occupancy, use, or appearance of the dwelling unit. (KRS 383.545)

* make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and maintain the premises in a fit and habitable condition

* keep all common areas of the premises in a clean and safe condition

* maintain in good working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and other facilities and appliances (including elevators) supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord

* supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times and reasonable heat between October 1 and May 1 (unless the tenant has control over this supply), and

* provide written notice of the names of the manager and owner of the property (KRS 383.585).

We are planning to move, but was wondering if I have any say when I approach my landlord about the heat. Getting cold so it has become something important.

BTW my landlord owns a heating and air company. rear end in a top hat.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 17, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Talk to a local lawyer. What's "reasonable heat" is almost certainly jurisdiction-specific.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

Speeding tickets are revenue generators and not some justice thing. You could fight it but the odds are not good. You may be right, but that does not really matter. Judges believe cops over you 99 times out of 100.

Pretty much this, if you want to stick it to the man you'll have to get lucky or decide you'd rather a lawyer have your money than the city/state/PD.

Here is an archive of how to fight speeding tickets written by einteir (from SA, this is just hosted elsewhere): http://www.jonathonbarton.net/2009/happenings/hey-i-got-a-ticket-by-eintier-of-the-somethingawful-com-forums/

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

cheese eats mouse posted:

Would anyone have an idea of what "reasonable heating" as to tenant rights?

Aside from everything else, using your oven for heat is a great way to gently caress up your oven.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

hello internet posted:

I have an interesting situation involving a completely bullshit speeding ticket I'm trying to fight in Ohio.

No offense meant, but there's nothing interesting about speeding tickets to anyone but the person receiving it.

That said, you could always try subpoenaing the radar gun calibration records (assuming he used one: you would want to know if he used VASCAR or a laser detector instead), the radar gun manual (so you can read up on what might trigger inaccurate readings and check if any of those conditions applied on the morning in question), and ask the officer in court about his level of training in radar gun operation.

None of that might actually help you or be persuasive to the judge, but if you really want to put in the effort, those are some options.

You might want to read these two Nolo articles if you are hellbent on beating the ticket (not saying you should or shouldn't fight, just to be aware you're going to put in what could be a fair amount of effort with a not necessarily great chance of success):
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/beat-ticket-book/chapter6-1.html
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/beat-ticket-book/chapter11-1.html

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
My (ex-)wife and I were filing for a disillusionment, we have one child, who's almost 3. We've been separated (not legally) for a year-and-a-half, with equal joint custody. I looked over the papers that her and her lawyer friend had drawn up, which all seemed on the up-and-up, nothing that would come back to bite me on the rear end, etc. She doesn't want child support from me, and we were going to have split custody just as we have been. Nothing signed, nothing finalized, we just looked everything over.

However, fast-forward to today, and I have a problem. I just found out that she's quitting her job and moving in with a guy that she's known for less than a month, in an entirely different county. She has no driver's license, and no means to financially support herself. I was also told that even if she isn't seeking child support, it's up to the judge to decide what she does or doesn't get. (We live in Ohio, jurisdiction wise.)

So, I've decided to fight for full custody of my son. My basic question, to all of you fine legal people: "is it worth it?" I'm getting advice from a former clerk of courts tomorrow on this, but as of yet I haven't been to a lawyer (since I'm pretty much scrambling to get my life together and currently have no savings because of it). Quick rundown of the things that I think are to my advantage:

- I'm employed, and living in a stable residence. She's going to be unemployed and moving across the county to live with someone she barely knows, and she has a history of being unemployed.
- I have transportation.
- Her apartment is a filthy hovel, worthy of a call to CPS, and I have pictures to prove it. The only reason I haven't done it was fear of what might happen to my son.
- She stays up super late every night (talking 5-6am) and myself and other members of my family have come over to get my son, only to find him awake and playing by himself while she's fast asleep.
- She takes at least 3 psychiatric medications, when she feels like it, and has a history of depression and anxiety.
- She's incredibly lazy and allowed her health insurance and my son's to lapse, and hasn't even taken the steps to try to get back on the program (they were covered under Medicaid.)

So aside from just "is it worth it", meaning "can I possibly win this", I was wondering: can public Facebook posts be used in court? Private messages? Text messages?I'm by no means going to fight this on my own, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into before I pull the trigger on this (and I guess I needed to vent a little bit).

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride
I live in Washington state and I work nights at a retail store. I am usually pretty good about knowing my rights but I've run into an issue that feels wrong but I can't find anything about it by simple googling.
After my shift is over I have to clock out and wait to be let out of the building by the supervisor. Usually this is not too big of a deal and I wait maybe 5 to 10 minutes at most. Today I got pretty steamed up because I told my boss I was leaving at 4:18, punched out at 4:20, and then waited for 18 minutes to have the front door unlocked.
I'm not even considering talking to anyone up the chain about it or anything like that, it just bothers me that I have to sit around unpaid when I have a life to get on with and would like to know what rights an employee has, if any, in a situation like this.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

BUSH 2112 posted:

Divorce stuff

If she has a lawyer, and you want to fight her for custody/child support/whatever, you need an attorney. You will get your rear end kicked otherwise.

All those details are relevant, but it is absolutely impossible for us to answer the "can I possibly win this" question, especially as family law is so squishy and jurisdiction-dependent. You have to find a local lawyer to get decent answers to those questions.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

cheese eats mouse posted:

In Kentucky

Would anyone have an idea of what "reasonable heating" as to tenant rights?

I am not a lawyer, but you could try contacting the Department of Sanitation. This is the organization that generally handles habitability issues, and they should be able to give you some idea of what is acceptable or who to contact about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arcturas posted:

If she has a lawyer, and you want to fight her for custody/child support/whatever, you need an attorney. You will get your rear end kicked otherwise.

All those details are relevant, but it is absolutely impossible for us to answer the "can I possibly win this" question, especially as family law is so squishy and jurisdiction-dependent. You have to find a local lawyer to get decent answers to those questions.

Also Bush 2012 you need to understand that we have to read your post through a massive bias filter wherein your subjective perception of things in the middle of a nasty family dispute may or may not match up with actually reality. This means nobody can honestly appraise your chances over the internet even with perfect local legal knowledge.

Jurisdiction dependencies aside, changing custody arrangements is always an uphill battle because you have to fight a presumption in favour of stability.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 18, 2013