Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Wario In Real Life posted:

Just a heads up on this, check the Amazon used section (under "other buying options"). I've been wanting a Tam60 bad for a few weeks and have been getting impatient and looking around elsewhere. I noticed they've actually got 2 (well 1 now since I just bought 1) EX+ rated 60mm listed through their Amazon marketplace but not actually listed on the site.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-60mm-2-0-DI-II/dp/B00200K9MM/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A1TDKHBC7S48E3

Good to know. Have since switched my aim over to a Tamron 17-50 for the flexibility, but more places to check is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I have a Magnavox brand tripod salvaged from my parent's basement that's likely around 30 years old. It's gotten the job done for some decent long exposures in the past, but it's cheaply made, not terribly sturdy, and worst of all doesn't fit in carry-on-sized luggage.

Are there any frequently-recommended tripods that are small, light, and inexpensive? I'm hoping for under $150, or even under $100 if it's possible. I don't care about any extra features, but ideally it would be small and light enough to hike short distances with. Barring that, I'll just be happy to fit it in my suitcase. Any suggestions?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

TheEye posted:

Are there any frequently-recommended tripods that are small, light, and inexpensive? I'm hoping for under $150, or even under $100 if it's possible. I don't care about any extra features, but ideally it would be small and light enough to hike short distances with. Barring that, I'll just be happy to fit it in my suitcase. Any suggestions?

I got one of these little Benro dealies. Folds up to about a foot long, fits in a backpack (and easily in a suitcase), and it's light enough (3lbs) that my out-of-shape rear end managed to carry it along the Inca Trail. Hang a heavyass pack/bag/etc off it and it's pretty stable too.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_C1691TB0#specs

There is an aluminium one that's a bit cheaper, at the cost of an extra lb or so.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

BrosephofArimathea posted:

I got one of these little Benro dealies. Folds up to about a foot long, fits in a backpack (and easily in a suitcase), and it's light enough (3lbs) that my out-of-shape rear end managed to carry it along the Inca Trail. Hang a heavyass pack/bag/etc off it and it's pretty stable too.

http://www.benrousa.com/products_details_C1691TB0#specs

There is an aluminium one that's a bit cheaper, at the cost of an extra lb or so.

That looks great, but it seems to be between $400 and $500, with the aluminum one over $200. I would need cheaper recommendations unfortunately.

Actually, looking at those brings up the question: what's the difference between the B00, B0, and B1 heads? Seems like it would be useful to know in general. Also, do you like the twist locks for the legs? Mine has flip ones so I'm not familiar with them, but I could see them potentially taking longer to set up.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

TheEye posted:

That looks great, but it seems to be between $400 and $500, with the aluminum one over $200. I would need cheaper recommendations unfortunately.

Actually, looking at those brings up the question: what's the difference between the B00, B0, and B1 heads? Seems like it would be useful to know in general. Also, do you like the twist locks for the legs? Mine has flip ones so I'm not familiar with them, but I could see them potentially taking longer to set up.

I got mine from t-dimension; they seem to start around AU160ish for aluminium ones, 260ish for CF. I assume someone over there sells them for around that - no way I would ever pay five hundred bucks for some Chinese Gitzo knockoff.

The heads are just in order of size. B0 holds 8kg, b1 12kg. Allegedly. Halve them for a realistic loading, though, and you should be in the ballpark. FWIW, I dont get any sagging with the B0 head even with a heavyish combination (about 5lbs or so)

I'm not a big fan of twistlocks, but they work well enough and don't seem to slip. Takes marginally more time to set up than my flip-lock Manfrotto, but not enough that it's annoying or anything.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TheEye posted:

Maybe look at Induro, they're basically Gitzo knockoffs but from what I remember they're pretty well made. Their smallest CF model is $300 and they have an aluminum model for $100. Bear in mind that those don't include heads and you will need both a head and some kind of a mounting plate or L-bracket for your camera. Also consider looking at used tripods if you're trying to do this on the cheap.

Seriously though, judging by this post I'm not sure what you expected. You're not going to find a high-end tripod (or any piece of photographic equipment) brand-new for less than $100. And what most people think of a tripod is actually two pieces of equipment, the tripod (the legs) and the head.

They are worth sinking at least a little money into. You don't want it to be a pain to use, and they keep your expensive camera from hitting the pavement. I didn't realize I hadn't quite latched a leg lock and that was a $200 mistake (my camera has an analog meter which popped out of place in the prism, plus I dented the filter ring, cheap as they go). If that happens on your vacation your photography is over.

$150 is probably the low end for a new tripod and head that isn't trash. You can certainly do better on both quality and price if you shop used. If you just want something mega cheap then go to your big-box store and buy whatever's on the shelf.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 16, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

TheEye posted:

You can get a benro for less than 200, http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0690T-Travel-Tripod-Aluminum/dp/B004DGNO78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381939555&sr=8-2&keywords=benro+travel+angel

There's a version with 3 leg sections instead of 4 for 150 on amazon too http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0680T-Travel-Tripod-Aluminum/dp/B004BYUY4S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1381939614&sr=8-6&keywords=benro+travel+angel

I've got the 3 section model, and it's pretty great. Very small, very light, it tucks into the tripod holder on my bag without sticking up over the top of the bag, etc. Twist legs in practice have been quicker than the flip locks on my old tripod.

The difference between the heads is size. The B00 is a mini ballhead, best suited for when you want something tiny and light and don't have a very heavy camera. That said I've used the B00 with a p67 medium format camera and other giant things like this stupid setup

and it held up, but it still wasn't ideal. Also, it's really tiny, this is the B00 compared to manfrotos "compact ballhead" (benro on the right).

Yeah.

Also I got mine used for around 90 bucks, which is another option to consider!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe look at Induro, they're basically Gitzo knockoffs but from what I remember they're pretty well made.

I got an Induro aluminum tripod off craigslist and its great. I use it for my spotting scope but its solid and folds up to ~18" if you pull the stem.

I have no idea why anyone would buy a brand new tripod. It's not like it has a shutter count.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I nabbed a Feisol 3301CF tripod off craiglist for just under $200 and matched it with a $120 Photoclam 33NS head and the setup is dreamy and super light while not breaking the bank. The 3-pc makes it a little bigger when folded up but it's wayyy lighter than the cheap Amvona clunker I was carrying around and much more solid (why is the last leg made of plastic Amvona?)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll stalk craigslist for a little while and see if any of these turn up.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hopefully it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere, but I just discovered that Sigma has announced a new 24-105 f/4 with image stabilization (OS in Sigma speak.) Like everybody else, I'm curious how it stacks up the the competition.

So who'll be the one to make a dedicated Sigma thread?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Was pretty set on the Tamron 17-50, although I'm also seeing the Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro for a similar (well, a little cheaper used) price point. Does anyone have any experience with the Sigma?

*edit* Reading up sounds like wide open the Tamron performs quite a bit better, if that's the case will probably go with that (will be a main use).

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 18, 2013

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Bob Mundon posted:

Sigma 18-50 2.8 Macro

Last I heard on this was "not BAD, just also not good."

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Mr. Despair posted:

You can get a benro for less than 200, http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0690T-Travel-Tripod-Aluminum/dp/B004DGNO78/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381939555&sr=8-2&keywords=benro+travel+angel

There's a version with 3 leg sections instead of 4 for 150 on amazon too http://www.amazon.com/Benro-A0680T-Travel-Tripod-Aluminum/dp/B004BYUY4S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1381939614&sr=8-6&keywords=benro+travel+angel

I've got the 3 section model, and it's pretty great. Very small, very light, it tucks into the tripod holder on my bag without sticking up over the top of the bag, etc. Twist legs in practice have been quicker than the flip locks on my old tripod.

I was near B&H today, so I stopped in to look at tripods. They pointed out three possibilities to me. The first was this Benro (they had both the 3 and 4 lock versions). One downside is that, even though it's relatively small, it still dwarfs the other options when folded. It also doesn't have a pan knob for the head, which is a nice bonus in the other two.

They compared it with the MeFoto Backpacker. I know this is also made by Benro, but compared to the former it's a lot smaller and the head has a separate pan knob. It has a much shorter maximum height though.

The last was the Sirui T-005X. This thing folds up to be impressively tiny, but still extends taller than the MeFoto. The head seems pretty solid and has extra pan and tension knobs. One weird thing I noticed is that the quick release plate's screw doesn't have a D-ring on it, so it requires a screwdriver or coin or something. This might be a problem as I have a Rapid strap usually occupying my camera's tripod mount, so I'd anticipate having to screw on the plate every time I use the tripod.

One guy there mentioned to me that he'd use the Sirui with a mirrorless but not a DSLR. Another guy said all three are fine, but he wouldn't use the center column for any of them when doing long exposures. If he's right about that, it's kind of disappointing, since that's mostly what it'll be used for. He also pointed out that the Benro's center column can be lowered under the legs, whereas for the other two it would have to be removed outright for the stability he would want.

Anyone have further thoughts about these? My camera is under the maximum weight for all of them, but if the smaller ones are questionably stable, maybe I should go with the Benro. Still, if the salespeople are wrong, 11.8" folded is tempting provided I can work around the release plate screw issue.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Most tripods have a loop or a hook at the end of the center column opposite the head. That's so you can hang a weight - lots of people use their camera bag - to improve stability.

I have a Sirui ball-head, not the C-10 but I think just a little larger (possibly a discontinued model, I don't see mine on the B&H website). It's quite stable, and I'm happy with it. It uses Arca-Swiss compatible QR plates, so if you're not happy with the one you get it's easy to find a nicer replacement. The good QR plates tend to be a bit pricey, though.

I wouldn't worry too much about the center column and long exposures - it seems unlikely you'll need to have the column at maximum extension when leaving the shutter open for 30 seconds. I've never run into that situation, at least.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ExecuDork posted:

I have a Sirui ball-head, not the C-10 but I think just a little larger (possibly a discontinued model, I don't see mine on the B&H website). It's quite stable, and I'm happy with it. It uses Arca-Swiss compatible QR plates, so if you're not happy with the one you get it's easy to find a nicer replacement. The good QR plates tend to be a bit pricey, though.

I like Acratech plates. They are a little pricey but it's worth it to me to have a well constructed plate since I just leave them on my cameras.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Anyone have experience with getting a Tamron lens repaired?

After getting dropped on it's head my Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC will no longer zoom any further than about 24mm. Focus and stuff seems to work ok still though.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada and I see Tamron lists their repair center as being in Toronto. Does anyone know how they handle repairs? Do I just send it in or should I call first? Do they provide an estimate or just bill you or something?

The Canadian site is a little bare bones: http://www.tamron.ca/generic.htm?ECINFO=TAMRON%20REPAIR%20CENTRES

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Squibbles posted:

After getting dropped on it's head my Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC will no longer zoom any further than about 24mm. Focus and stuff seems to work ok still though.

I'm in Vancouver, Canada and I see Tamron lists their repair center as being in Toronto. Does anyone know how they handle repairs? Do I just send it in or should I call first? Do they provide an estimate or just bill you or something?

The Canadian site is a little bare bones: http://www.tamron.ca/generic.htm?ECINFO=TAMRON%20REPAIR%20CENTRES

I'd call the number listed and ask what should be done.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Squibbles posted:

I've sent in a 17-50 to get repaired to this exact place (10min from my house). It cost me about $180 for the repair fee, they really do a good job of fixing it all up (was soft focusing, the rings were getting wobbly and I broke off the internal ring that covers the screws because I'm an idiot). It was slightly less than half the cost of the lens itself, but what can you do?

If you want to decline the repair after you've sent it, there's a flat refusal fee of $30.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Alright thanks. I'll have to give them a call when I get a chance I guess.

Thanks to both of you :)

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Miko posted:

I've sent in a 17-50 to get repaired to this exact place (10min from my house). It cost me about $180 for the repair fee, they really do a good job of fixing it all up (was soft focusing, the rings were getting wobbly and I broke off the internal ring that covers the screws because I'm an idiot). It was slightly less than half the cost of the lens itself, but what can you do?

If you want to decline the repair after you've sent it, there's a flat refusal fee of $30.

Out of curiosity, did you ship it there or were you able to just drive over and drop it off? The one in the US is incidentally 10 minutes from my parents' house.

Miko
May 20, 2001

I drove over to talk to them about my options, and then drop it off.

They sent me an email to pick it up, too.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Up to 60% off Sony SD cards, today only: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=gbsl_tit_l-1_1562_5036c479?node=7730042011

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

And these are the fancy UHS-1 high-speed cards :staredog:

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/07/zeiss-announces-no-compromise-otus-55mm-f1-4-lens-for-slrs

Because Zeiss, or move over 50mm f1.2.

I know you guys have probably seen this or other articles on it, but anyone have this thing in their purchasing plans?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's not even leica money, feh

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Ferris Bueller posted:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/10/07/zeiss-announces-no-compromise-otus-55mm-f1-4-lens-for-slrs

Because Zeiss, or move over 50mm f1.2.

I know you guys have probably seen this or other articles on it, but anyone have this thing in their purchasing plans?

Maybe someday, particularly if they spur some competition and the price comes down. It would be tempting at like $2k.

I made a post about it in one of the threads, but the lack of a high-quality f/1.4 (or faster) 50mm lens really irks me. You can buy a 35/1.4 that's sharp corner-to-corner off the shelf for $900, and yet there's not a single fifty with sharp corners that's autofocus no matter how much you spend. The only options are paying out the rear end for a Leica or Noct Nikkor. All the manufacturers have just coasted on the 60s-era Double Gauss design for the last half century, and the fundamental design hasn't changed in more than a century. Sigma putting aspheric elements in the 30/1.4 is the biggest design refresh since coated lenses were invented.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Maybe someday, particularly if they spur some competition and the price comes down. It would be tempting at like $2k.

I made a post about it in one of the threads, but the lack of a high-quality f/1.4 (or faster) 50mm lens really irks me. You can buy a 35/1.4 that's sharp corner-to-corner off the shelf for $900, and yet there's not a single fifty with sharp corners that's autofocus no matter how much you spend. The only options are paying out the rear end for a Leica or Noct Nikkor. All the manufacturers have just coasted on the 60s-era Double Gauss design for the last half century, and the fundamental design hasn't changed in more than a century. Sigma putting aspheric elements in the 30/1.4 is the biggest design refresh since coated lenses were invented.

If you're using the Sigma 35 1.4 as a benchmark, the Nikkor 50 1.4 G is as good in the corners wide-open and costs what, $440? The 1.8 G isn't far behind and costs less. I honestly don't understand what you're complaining about, but if you can't see every pockmark on every tree branch in the corners of your frames, you have an answer and it costs $4000. :v:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I remember reading that a 50mm focal length isn't ideal for lens geometries and 55mm is more ideal. I can't find anything to back this up, so it might just be my bad memory.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

TheJeffers posted:

If you're using the Sigma 35 1.4 as a benchmark, the Nikkor 50 1.4 G is as good in the corners wide-open and costs what, $440? The 1.8 G isn't far behind and costs less. I honestly don't understand what you're complaining about, but if you can't see every pockmark on every tree branch in the corners of your frames, you have an answer and it costs $4000. :v:

Wow, the Nikkor 50/1.4G appears to be significantly better than most of the other 50's on the market.

A little comparison of edge sharpness, from Photozone's figures:

Samyang 35/1.4: 2905
Nikkor 35/1.4 G: 2837

Nikkor 50/1.4 G: 2861
Nikkor 50/1.4 D: 2369
Canon 50/1.4 renormalized to Nikon: 1874
Sigma 50/1.4: 1460 (Nikon)

Canon 50/1.4: 1700
Sigma 50/1.4: 1324 (Canon)

Looks like the 50/1.4G can deliver edge resolution nearly as good as its center resolution. And the 50/1.4D isn't a slouch either. Complaint retracted.

Step up your game, Canon. You too Sigma.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 23, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Sigma is known to be working on a new 'Art' version if it's fast 50. Canon is going to release an all new 50mm 1.8 with IS to match the other slow-ish but sharp IS primes that came out last year (priced at the current 1.4 level or higher of course).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

A little comparison of edge sharpness, from Photozone's figures:

Samyang 35/1.4: 2905
Nikkor 35/1.4 G: 2837

Nikkor 50/1.4 G: 2861
Nikkor 50/1.4 D: 2369
Canon 50/1.4 renormalized to Nikon: 1874
Sigma 50/1.4: 1460 (Nikon)

Canon 50/1.4: 1700
Sigma 50/1.4: 1324 (Canon)

Looks like the 50/1.4G can deliver edge resolution nearly as good as its center resolution. And the 50/1.4D isn't a slouch either. Complaint retracted.

Step up your game, Canon. You too Sigma.

Alladatshit don't matter, because the 1.8G is just as good as the 1.4

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

evil_bunnY posted:

Alladatshit don't matter, because the 1.8G is just as good as the 1.4

Actually I've decided that instead of retracting my complaint I'm just going to revise it upwards.

Hey assholes why haven't you put out a 50mm f/1.2 that's sharp corner to corner yet, preferably targeted at the sub-$500 market :argh:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I use a Nikon E Series 50mm f/1.8. It rules and was only like $40.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-snype posted:

I use a Nikon E Series 50mm f/1.8. It rules and was only like $40.

That lens is loving awesome and the 28 2.8 E is probably one of the better 28mm lenses I've ever used.

The 35 E sucks a hundred thousand dicks though. It's like the only E series lens where you're like "yep this sure is the bargain version". The rest are all awesome and stupid-cheap.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mightaswell posted:

Sigma is known to be working on a new 'Art' version if it's fast 50.
I think the exact comment/rumor was merely that the Sigma CEO's favorite focal length is 50mm, and people went from there to expecting a 50mm/1.4 Art. While it's probably going to happen at some point, anyway, I rather hope for the rumored 24-70mm with 2.0 aperture (hoping for 1.8 tho).

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I'm looking to buy a tripod, but as it's my first one I'm not too sure what to look for. My only requirements are that I'd like something small so I can travel with it (eg: can I fit it in a backpack small enough to ski with), and I don't want to go above $200. At the same time, I'm wondering if I'll regret getting something too compact, and end up buying a full size tripod later.

As an example, the velbon ULTRA MAXi Mini D is really compact and fairly robust, seems to have an OK ball head, but it's less than 50cm at full height:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Velbon-Maxi-Mini-D-Ultra/dp/B0012B33TQ

Does anyone have any experience with these, or have recommendations for a better option in my price range?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Get a pack you can strap them to instead of legs that need to fold down to pocket size

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Are the TSA cool with folks brining tripods on as hand luggage at full size? If so that's certainly an option and I have a pack that will take it. I was thinking something smaller would be less likely to be vetoed by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Are the TSA cool with folks brining tripods on as hand luggage at full size? If so that's certainly an option and I have a pack that will take it. I was thinking something smaller would be less likely to be vetoed by them.

If it's in a case/bag of some sort, probably. They've gotten a little better about things they'll allow over the last couple years. It depends on how big it is when collapsed though.

Hell I remember seeing hockey and lacrosse sticks allowed as carryons all the time before 9/11. That was great.