Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cease to Hope posted:

Why do you know this?

Some of us have lived too long and done too much computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If Symantec owns Norton AV, why are they still separate? What's the difference between them?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Cease to Hope posted:

Why do you know this?

Because it was on our computer as a kid and I used to wonder what the program with the jazzy pink shirted guy icon that was actually really boring and confusing was for.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

RyokoTK posted:

If Symantec owns Norton AV, why are they still separate? What's the difference between them?

I think it's just a matter of business vs. home oriented. (Symantec being business.) As far as the products themselves, the difference is surely a matter of features, license types, etc... (and of course cost).

Hipster_Doofus has a new favorite as of 03:30 on Oct 11, 2013

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Peter Norton first became a big deal among programmers in 1983 when he put out the first book giving lots of nitty-gritty details of how to get the most out of the then-new IBM PC architecture. He also happened to have a pink dress shirt on in the cover photo:

This book became popularly known as the "pink-shirt book" (a reflection of the traditional computer-nerd method of nicknames for books) and so the pink shirt and crossed arms became a sort of symbol of Peter Norton. In fact, "Peter Norton, Peter Norton's stylized signature, and Peter Norton's crossed-arm pose are U.S. registered trademarks of Peter Norton". Here's another photo of Peter Norton with pink shirt and literally actually for-real trademarked pose:

The more you know, I guess.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
That's crazy! He doesn't even consistently cross them the same way! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KnifeWrench posted:

The second pic doesn't look much like him either. Must be a mirrored backup :downsrim:.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

KnifeWrench posted:

We'll be collecting royalties for that emote soon, thank you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The second pic doesn't look much like him either.

I don't know how to break this to you, but Superman is secretly Clark Kent.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Pierzak posted:

We'll be collecting royalties for that emote soon, thank you.

Oh, you work for Stephen Colbert?

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Have you ever seen Peter Norton and Stephen Colbert in the same room together? :colbert:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Pham Nuwen posted:

Now I just need to figure out where I can use something so wonderful.

I would suggest any moment, serious or no, of kinkshaming. That seems pretty much what it was made for.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just found out someone bought a loving reddit/4Chan troll face meme smiley.

When, why, and where do I live so I may punish them?

toby
Dec 4, 2002

DrBouvenstein posted:

When, why, and where do I live

Look inside yourself for the answers to these difficult questions

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Whoever did it, I'm sure they made the exact face upon viewing your post.

(for those that don't want to bother looking it up in the directory it's :troll:)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DrBouvenstein posted:

It seems that you're taking this a bit harshly. Perhaps you are, dare I say it, mad?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It seems that you're taking this a bit harshly. Perhaps you are, dare I say it, mad?

I thin I am...bro.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

DrBouvenstein posted:

This has happened before. Don't worry it will be removed soon.

The Comna
May 22, 2012

schtzn
schtzn
t-t-t-t
t-t-t-t
If it makes you feel better the person was probated for buying that smiley, and is now banned. The user went by the name "STILL GAY AND DUMB" and their Rap Sheet can be found here. Sadly, Ozma has not removed :troll: like she said she would.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
The troll face emoticon is a blight on the forums. It is the cancer that is killing SA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

barbarianbob posted:

The troll face emoticon is a blight on the forums. It is the cancer that is killing SA.

It's okay, I'll have Shadow show you how to deal with a troll.

:fut:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

barbarianbob posted:

Wait, then what's Forums Cancer?

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

KnifeWrench posted:

Wait, then what's Forums Cancer?

The cure.

It's the same as setting little forest fires ahead of a really big one.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Came here to post how actually angry I am that some motherfucker spent $30 on a loving trollface emote.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Came here to post how actually angry I am that some motherfucker spent $30 on a loving trollface emote.

I know you are being sarcastic, but it is genuinely upsetting when you realize that money could've gone towards a hot dog shack in the middle of nowhere.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I think it should be left, but using it should be a bannable offence. Over time it should accrue more money than it cost!

Nettle Soup has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Oct 17, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

SA playing host to old memes from the rest of the internet? This is an outrage, I never :nyan::lovewcc::ranbowdash::wcc::thejoke:

toby
Dec 4, 2002

The rest of the internet hosts our old memes, so it's only fair I guess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
But who covers for the bandwidth costs? Is that why we have to pay Lowtax? :ohdear:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

p.crestmont posted:

I know you are being sarcastic, but it is genuinely upsetting when you realize that money could've gone towards a hot dog shack in the middle of nowhere.
I'm actually not being sarcastic.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nettle Soup posted:

I think it should be left, but using it should be a bannable offence. Over time it should accrue more money than it cost!

I thought that actually happened. When the smiley was new there were entries in the Lepers' Colony of a few people getting probated for using it.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

p.crestmont posted:

Just wait until someone makes :gooncamp: but for the hot dog shack. Or maybe :pcgaming1: but with a hot dog instead of a file.

Wasting money to commemorate a waste of money... How poetic.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

WorkingPeer posted:

Just wait until someone makes :gooncamp: but for the hot dog shack. Or maybe :pcgaming1: but with a hot dog instead of a file.

Wasting money to commemorate a waste of money... How poetic.

Did the hot dog shack turn out to be a fraud?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Farecoal posted:

Did the hot dog shack turn out to be a fraud?

No, a bunch of goons are just mad about it for some reason.

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"Mad" is the wrong word. I think "baffled" is more accurate.

Who looks at this:

and says "yup, that's a winning business right there!"

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Fritos are a little odd, but those look like some drat fine dogs.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Okay, I guess I'll be the guy who's not in the loop: What hot dog shack?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

KnifeWrench posted:

Okay, I guess I'll be the guy who's not in the loop: What hot dog shack?

This thread explains everything. Please read it and know why we can never again discuss hotdogs on the Something Awful (dot com) Forums, as the thread melts down into weird, Dadaist poetry-level madness.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

WorkingPeer posted:

"Mad" is the wrong word. I think "baffled" is more accurate.

Who looks at this:

and says "yup, that's a winning business right there!"

Pictures of ice cream have used mashed potatoes instead of the real deal. Fruit and vegetables are wiped over with vaseline to give them that just-picked shine. Shoe polish and lipstick have been used to make sure food looks freshly cooked. Motor oil has substituted for pancake syrup.

Any photograph of real actual food (that's probably been sitting out for more than a few minutes while the photographer takes shots) is going to look fairly unappetising considering how much all the promotional shots and advertisements we see use convincing fakes. Not to mention probably airbrushing the poo poo out of things afterwards.

Just something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

NotAnArtist posted:

This thread explains everything. Please read it and know why we can never again discuss hotdogs on the Something Awful (dot com) Forums, as the thread melts down into weird, Dadaist poetry-level madness.

Good Lord that is beautiful.