Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Geokinesis posted:

Yeah it was on BBC4 last year. Not sure where/if you'll be able to watch it legitimately online though.

They're deffo showing Season Two of it on BBC 4, probably January 2014, and they tend to re-screen the first season of things beforehand; that's how I got caught up with The Killing last year. Hopefully we'll get more Wallander too.

Suits me just fine, there's something awfully jolly about being curled up all cosy on a winters' night, watching diabolical death and dismemberment from our Scandi pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Answers Me posted:

Giving last night's Have I Got News For You and Richard Osman is doing terribly, how that man has carved out a career as a TV personality is beyond me. He's, er, pointless on Pointless too.

vv ha, well I admire his guts then I suppose, like a football manager who insists on playing himself up front.

He's brilliant on Would I Lie To You

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Irisi posted:

They're deffo showing Season Two of it on BBC 4, probably January 2014, and they tend to re-screen the first season of things beforehand; that's how I got caught up with The Killing last year. Hopefully we'll get more Wallander too.

Suits me just fine, there's something awfully jolly about being curled up all cosy on a winters' night, watching diabolical death and dismemberment from our Scandi pals.

I'm not 100% sure they'll show the last series before the new one because it's 10 weeks long, but the BBC broadcast with hardcoded subs is on that YouTube, search for Broen.

And before the Bridge comes back, there's a new series of Inspector Montalbano in the Saturday night drama slot :getin:

fake edit: scratch that "don't think they'll show it" because BBC Four broadcast the whole series over five weeks rather than ten, so there's a chance they will reair it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Paperhouse posted:

I'm still not quite willing to believe he didn't play smartphone Scrabble with Greg Davies's mum at a Snoop Dogg concert.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Another recommendation for The Bridge. It does have it's funny moments (mostly related to Saga's social incompetence) but the tone is generally quite dark, which is how I want my Scandi drama.
The high-water mark for me is probably still the Krister Henriksson Wallander films, which are some of the bleakest TV I've ever seen 'The Secret' :suicide: , but The Bridge is very good and I'll definitely watch the next series. In one go. Probably on a cold day.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
By Any Means is really bad.

I went to it after watching What Remains and the contrast was so stark!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Paperhouse posted:

Did anyone else notice that his head has a tiny shake when he talks?

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

WastedJoker posted:

Doesn't he have nystagmus, maybe that is a way of minimising the effect of it? I did notice it but it's not as bad as Derren Brown's robotic head twitching.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

By Any Means is really bad.

I went to it after watching What Remains and the contrast was so stark!

I quite enjoy it as a Hustle-with-cops show... Which makes sense now that I've read the wiki page for it, as it's written by the same guy. It's not as fun as Hustle was, but I think it could get there.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

WastedJoker posted:

Noticed this on HIGNFY and wondered about it

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bake-off is moving to BBC1 next year :ohdear:

Surely next they are going to announce that it'll be followed by an hour-long analysis program complete with vapid talking heads and Dara O Briain.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

twoot posted:

Bake-off is moving to BBC1 next year :ohdear:

Surely next they are going to announce that it'll be followed by an hour-long analysis program complete with vapid talking heads and Dara O Briain.

The Talking Bread?

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Cloud Potato posted:

The Talking Bread?
This needs to happen.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

I've just watched The Tunnel and it's pretty good, Clémence Poésy does play Elise Wassermann a bit angry but it's better than the US remake imo.

Cloud Potato posted:

The Talking Bread?

Quality

Bodzilla
Mar 11, 2007

Beep beep, motherf*cker!
Baking Bread

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I loving hate Nick Grimshaw.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Just in general (fair enough if so), or has he done anything particularly abominable recently to provoke your ire?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

VogeGandire posted:

Type "I hate N" into google and he appears above North Korea*

Enough said.

*Might not be true

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Irisi posted:

Just in general (fair enough if so), or has he done anything particularly abominable recently to provoke your ire?

That piss he's putting out on BBC Three.

I mean, I tolerate bad TV, but it's not even bad, I just really want to punch the smug out of him.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Is The Tunnel going to follow the plot from the Scandinavian version or is it different? Just wondering if it's worth watching if I've already seen the original.

And any tips on similar shows? I've got a monster flu, I need something grizzly to watch :(

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 16, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Is The Tunnel going to follow the plot from the Scandinavian version or is it different? Just wondering if it's worth watching if I've already seen the original.

And any tips on similar shows? I've got a monster flu, I need something grizzly to watch :(

Looks like it'll follow it, the lead guy's just had a vasectomy, the lead woman looks like she's got Asperger syndrome and the scumbag journalist got locked in his car and shat himself when he thought he was about to explode.

You could look to watch series 2 of the Bridge, it's up to episode 4 so far and there are English subs out there that have only a few grammatical mistakes.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Aren't all scandi dramas basically equivalent? Or you could watch CSI, which is only marginally worse.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Dumb Tommy spotted.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
Did anybody catch the Stephen Fry documentary on homophobia? Out There.

Quite interesting, also fun fact about Stephen Fry's sex life he said that he has never had anal sex. Overall quite interesting so far and a little upsetting.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

stevey666 posted:

Quite interesting, also fun fact about Stephen Fry's sex life he said that he has never had anal sex. Overall quite interesting so far and a little upsetting.

Well, wasn't he celibate for like a decade? Not necessarily that surprising (also I'm not sure if it's really a spoiler unless your way too invested in Stephen Fry's bottom-hole)

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
No protest marches over Beca being booted off Bake Off? No okay I suppose not, she had been on a gentle decline for a couple of weeks at least.

Please let Frances win instead of Psycho or the student who makes me think of that Airplane scene where they are lining up to slap her.

Random question, why do they call it Great British Bake Off when most of the things they make are foreign? :v:

Went to my parents for tea at the weekend and they had a Morecambe & Wise documentary I'd not seen before on, it was on one of the more obscure channels deep down in the listings but it was great! It had modern actors/telly business people like Tamsin Grieg and Michael Grade explaining why they were brilliant along with a surviving writer. He explained how he finally talked Eric into doing the bed sketch routines after ages of Eric turning him down flat, he finally got his man when he told him that Laurel & Hardy had had no problems with it. Eric said "Done!" and the rest is history.

Just so we are clear: Morecambe & Wise >> All.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 16, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

stevey666 posted:

Yeah it was interesting. I loved how, during the little interview with the guy from Uganda, he kept his head until he got outside. Very professional.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Fazana posted:

No protest marches over Beca being booted off Bake Off? No okay I suppose not, she had been on a gentle decline for a couple of weeks at least.

I saw a great quote about Beca (hopefully not from this forum) which said Beca was never going to win bake off, but if there was one person you'd trust to do you a sunday roast with a nice desert it'd be her

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Fazana posted:

Please let Frances win instead of Psycho or the student who makes me think of that Airplane scene where they are lining up to slap her.

I like Frances. Bless her ickle heart and the way she gently ambles along, doing her own thing in the face of Paul Hollywoods' slightly alarming disapproval. But I think Kimberley will win; she's determined and knowledgeable. She even managed to make that horrible gloopy red brain-cake thing look semi-decent.

It's not been as fun this year, I don't think. Less jovial and easy-going. Plus the vitriol being directed at Ruby on the comments sections of the liveblogs is a bit alarming, frankly. She's whiny and has terminally low self-esteem, okay, but implying nasty things about the poor lassie is just not cricket.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That eviction was bollocks because, although Beca didn't do great that week, Ruby's technical was actually as bad as she thought it was and her opera cake was falling down. Anyway I hope Frances will win but expect it'll be Kimberly as she's the most competitive and probably went through all of Mary's cookbooks memorizing everything that looked hard enough for a technical.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

That eviction was bollocks because, although Beca didn't do great that week, Ruby's technical was actually as bad as she thought it was and her opera cake was falling down. Anyway I hope Frances will win but expect it'll be Kimberly as she's the most competitive and probably went through all of Mary's cookbooks memorizing everything that looked hard enough for a technical.

Ruby gets consistent praise to keep her fragile heart from breaking on how well she balances lots of different flavours, Beca (and Francis) was a bit wobbly on that - her showstopper last week was awesome to look at, but pretty bland.

Plus the longer she stays in the more crazy Ruby-faces we see, and the more we get her being condescending to people on twitter:

:allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

WastedJoker posted:

Type "I hate N" into google and he appears above North Korea*

Enough said.

*Might not be true

Here are some notable Nick's that are hated more than Grimshaw according to Google:

- Knowles
- Griffin
- Clegg
- Cave

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Man, gently caress Nick Knowles.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Irisi posted:

It's not been as fun this year, I don't think. Less jovial and easy-going. Plus the vitriol being directed at Ruby on the comments sections of the liveblogs is a bit alarming, frankly. She's whiny and has terminally low self-esteem, okay, but implying nasty things about the poor lassie is just not cricket.

I hadn't seen any of that, that is indeed a bit naughty. Shame that seems to be standard practise for anyone who sticks their head above the parapets these days. To be fair this week seemed more genuine than most of her previous times in getting worked up. Those responses listed a post or two above are magic though, I can forgive a lot for those.

I was hoping Beca would win for a reason I guess isn't far away from what Taff said, most of the time she made stuff I actually thought I might like whereas usually while I enjoy the prog I wouldn't go near what they make with a bargepole.

Blatant tangent but I've watched the first couple of "By Any Means" and thoroughly enjoyed its blatantly cheesy fun. I figured if they don't care about plausibility etc, why should I? :v: I freely admit it might just be me giving Warren Brown a free pass for his role in Luther though! Then again, Keith Allen in the first episode was fantastic.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Man, gently caress Nick Knowles.

What is he even for?

In other news, ITV's version of Nick Knowles, Dave Berry, wrote one of the worst, most low-effort articles I've ever seen published by a major newspaper:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10358000/Dave-Berry-the-10-albums-every-man-should-own.html

Some of the responses have been hilarious: http://cleggmania.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/5-items-of-clothes-every-man-should-own/

Roidweiser
Sep 10, 2003
Huuuuuur catchphrases are fun, and cats huurrr
So has anyone watched Storyville: The Great Hip Hop Hoax yet? It's an iPlayer exclusive at the moment. The basic Premise is 2 Scottish blokes hear there is an open audition down London to get a record deal to become the next Eminem/Usher, and they get laughed out the office for being Scottish.

They then decide to put on American accents and pretend they are from California to try and get some gigs down London, and it goes surprisingly well, so they embrace the characters they've created. Not the best documentary (a little muddled in places), but the idea, and how far they get with it is pretty outstanding. Totally worth a watch.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

VogeGandire posted:

If you're feeling particularly masochistic, he's on for 17 and a half hours a week on Radio 1 with precisely no filter. He gives me the impression that he's "down with the kids" despite only being 4 years younger than me. He really isn't, and he's not funny either

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Answers Me posted:

What is he even for?

In other news, ITV's version of Nick Knowles, Dave Berry, wrote one of the worst, most low-effort articles I've ever seen published by a major newspaper:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10358000/Dave-Berry-the-10-albums-every-man-should-own.html

Some of the responses have been hilarious: http://cleggmania.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/5-items-of-clothes-every-man-should-own/

loving hell. This wouldn't be published in a student magazine, and its in a loving national newspaper?! I wonder how much he got paid for that.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
Reminder that before Tony Parsons got in a big huff and defected to the Sun, he wrote classic articles like this and this. A pity the Mirror seem to have deleted most of the comments from Viz readers taking the piss out of him though.

Um. Parsons is on TV sometimes so this is on topic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

If you're feeling particularly masochistic, he's on for 17 and a half hours a week on Radio 1 with precisely no filter. He gives me the impression that he's "down with the kids" despite only being 4 years younger than me. He really isn't, and he's not funny either

Thankfully, I don't do radio.

If I did, and had to listen to that, there's a good chance there would be atrocities committed in "Grimmy"'s (urgh) name.