Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
The Long Kiss Goodnight is a better Die Hard than Die Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

spaceships posted:

The Long Kiss Goodnight is a better Die Hard than Die Hard.

Well let's not go crazy here. It's certainly a better Die Hard than Die Hard 2 though, and definitely Renny Harlin's high point.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vargo posted:

He's gotta be talking about the Matthew Lillard joke.
Yep that's the one and you in the end Lillard did redeem playing Shaggy when he voiced him in the underrated Mystery Incorporated cartoon

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the early stages of trying to figure out how much I should purely focus on the text of the finished film [Chechik's Avengers] and how much I should talk about, say, the fact that it has 30 minutes missing, the critical response, WB generally dumping the picture, etc. It won't be pure formalism anyway since I probably will at least mention the TV series and compare and contrast the two, but I'm trying to decide how much I want it to be a rigorous defense of the film's aesthetic qualities vs. a purer scholarly thematic reading.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

CaptainHollywood posted:

Can someone better than me do Dreamcatcher?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dreamcatcher.htm

Budget 68 Million
Dom Gross: 33 Million

I'm not too sure what exactly the filmmakers were thinking when they made this. On paper it sounds lie it would profit: "Morgan Freeman starring in an adaptation of a Stephen King novel with an alien invasion."

For those of you who have actually seen the film- that's not quite what it's about. It's rare to see a movie that shifts the plot almost becoming a completely different film by the end. It destroyed the career of Lawrence Kasdan but also helped give Damian Lewis his first mainstream movie. It has it's faults but the movie is tremendously entertaining. It's not quite like Independence Day as the "government vs. aliens" plays a very minor portion in the movie. There are some genuinely good ideas like "memory warehouse", but some that just fall flat like the shitweasels. While I've never read the book I hear it's a very close adaptation and maybe it if it were played more loose it would have done better business.

For the record I think the book is probably better. It's really overlong and is basically the greatest hits of King but it doesn't go with the crazy Duddits stuff at the end either. It gets a lot more weird and metaphysical.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

What format do you want these in?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Tars Tarkas posted:

What format do you want these in?
I don't particularly care. I suppose a TXT file written in HTML is ideal.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
I wanted to ask how formal it should be? How much like an academic paper vs a snarky blogpost?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
So far I'm trying to sound kinda scholarly, but still making it as much a spirited defense of the film as a thematic analysis. (Of course if you hate the movie you can make it a spirited takedown- so far the Lucky Number Slevin thread on this forum is a good example of how to do that and still be reasonably professional-sounding about it.)

500 words in and I haven't even really gotten to the plot. I'm trying to decide whether this is a good sign or not.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

I plan on making mine similar to what I post on my blog, if that helps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Maxwell Lord posted:

So far I'm trying to sound kinda scholarly, but still making it as much a spirited defense of the film as a thematic analysis. (Of course if you hate the movie you can make it a spirited takedown- so far the Lucky Number Slevin thread on this forum is a good example of how to do that and still be reasonably professional-sounding about it.)

500 words in and I haven't even really gotten to the plot. I'm trying to decide whether this is a good sign or not.

If you're a brutal editor it's fine.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, CloseFriend! Is there a standardized way you would like our essays to format film titles? I generally use italics but for you, I can change.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Hey, CloseFriend! Is there a standardized way you would like our essays to format film titles? I generally use italics but for you, I can change.
Italics work for me!

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

I was just reminded last night that there are only two weeks left. So, I am passing that knowledge onto the rest of you.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Almost done with the first draft. Organizing my thoughts is the big issue thusfar, I've got a lot of things that could probably be moved around or dropped.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

So I'll probably not have time to get my own submissions done before the bell, so I'm passing that savings onto you: the new due date is November 1. Enjoy!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

So I'll probably not have time to get my own submissions done before the bell, so I'm passing that savings onto you: the new due date is November 1. Enjoy!

Thanks! I've already done a close rewatch and took a ton of notes and screenshots but I only just started doing the actual writing today. This gives me more time to polish it.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

CloseFriend posted:

You're my new best friend.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CloseFriend posted:

Thank you!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

Wonderful. I've actually done my first draft but this gives me time to let it stew properly.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Oh thank god, thanks CloseFriend! I'm on vacation, so I'll have plenty of time to watch my film and take plenty of notes, so I can spend some time when I get back writing/polishing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just hit the 1000 word mark and man, I am having a boatload of fun writing this. It's making me want to attempt blogging again, though I have a very spotty history with that.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I'm surprised nobody pitched Cats don't dance, its a perfect Animated movie that failed spectacularly because of marketing whoes and a merger.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Alhazred posted:

My favorite part is to watch the entirety of the cast act circles around Keanu Reeves.

Constantine always weirded me out because I love love love the movie but Keanu is definitely still Keanu in it. I'd always attributed that to the directing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skeesix posted:

Constantine always weirded me out because I love love love the movie but Keanu is definitely still Keanu in it. I'd always attributed that to the directing.

Nothing will ever top Keanu dropping a steaming pile on the 1993 adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. The movie is completely fantastic except for Keanu.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Nothing will ever top Keanu dropping a steaming pile on the 1993 adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. The movie is completely fantastic except for Keanu.

Coppola's Dracula has other issues but Keanu is probably the worst thing about that film too, living up to every "watching Keanu Reeves is like watching a block of wood" cliche.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

TrixRabbi posted:

Coppola's Dracula has other issues but Keanu is probably the worst thing about that film too, living up to every "watching Keanu Reeves is like watching a block of wood" cliche.

Ah now, I have to defend his performance in that. That accent is absolutely hilarious and Reeves isn't chewing the scenery any more that anyone else in that movie. If that performance is like a block of wood, it's one with "YE OLDE ENGLISH FOPPE" beautifully lacquered across it, which is entirely in keeping with the character in the original book.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have a fairly well-researched and compelling case that Deep Rising was completely a victim of bad timing and studio fuckery, but very little to say about the film itself - it's a pretty-good monster flick, that should've done generic $80-100m summer popcorn numbers. I don't think it's a particularly great film, but would an article about how sometimes even perfectly servicable films are tanked be acceptable?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I always feel the need to post this when people bag on Keanu.

"Roger Lewis of the Sunday Times posted:

"He quite embodied the innocence, the splendid fury, the animal grace of the leaps and bounds, the emotional violence, that form the Prince of Denmark... He is one of the top three Hamlets I have seen, for a simple reason: he is Hamlet."

He is pretty poo poo in Much Ado though.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Constantine was on TV last night. Keanu was not very good indeed. He particularly stood out in any scene with Tilda Swinton.

They should make a Constantine TV series, it lends itself well to the current trends, but use a proper knackered looking blonde Liverpudlian as the lead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm quoting from memory of a review I vaguely recall, but the great thing about Keanu Reeves is that he is so incredibly bland that in Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies, where all these incredible, unbelievable things are happening, his blandness acts as a grounding force. All the hullabaloo surrounding the Son of Satan and the Spear of Destiny in Constantine is instantly more believable, because Keanu Reeves is so perfectly ordinary.

As cliche as it to say it'd be better as an HBO series, an HBO series would be awesome, I always thought James Marsters would have been perfect, but he might be too old by now.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Skwirl posted:

As cliche as it to say it'd be better as an HBO series, an HBO series would be awesome, I always thought James Marsters would have been perfect, but he might be too old by now.

Conversely, isn't Constantine supposed to age in relatively close to real-time (or at the very least, acknowledges his own past in the 70s-80s-90s) compared to the rest of the DCU? It might make him too young.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Conversely, isn't Constantine supposed to age in relatively close to real-time (or at the very least, acknowledges his own past in the 70s-80s-90s) compared to the rest of the DCU? It might make him too young.
:devil: As a guy who's made multiple deals with various devils from many pantheons, he *might* have gotten eternal youth thrown in at some point. Shame he didn't get a lifetime supply of Silk Cuts though

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Before the reboot, yes, but I figured tv show would want a relatively young Constantine. Mid 30's at the latest, I looked him up, James Marsters is 51.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skwirl posted:

I'm quoting from memory of a review I vaguely recall, but the great thing about Keanu Reeves is that he is so incredibly bland that in Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies, where all these incredible, unbelievable things are happening, his blandness acts as a grounding force. All the hullabaloo surrounding the Son of Satan and the Spear of Destiny in Constantine is instantly more believable, because Keanu Reeves is so perfectly ordinary.

Pretty much. He's an empty vessel, like a JRPG character. When Keanu acts it's easier to see yourself in the same position. It makes it easier to experience than casting someone charismatic or unique. That's why people who hate Reeves will still hear how they were gonna cast Will Smith as Neo and go, "Oh god that would suck" because they know it'd just turn into a Will Smith movie instead of being "The Matrix".

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Pretty much. He's an empty vessel, like a JRPG character. When Keanu acts it's easier to see yourself in the same position. It makes it easier to experience than casting someone charismatic or unique. That's why people who hate Reeves will still hear how they were gonna cast Will Smith as Neo and go, "Oh god that would suck" because they know it'd just turn into a Will Smith movie instead of being "The Matrix".

The advantage of Reeves in The Matrix is that he had zero star power at the time and the movie needed a cast that could be forced to put up with the training regiment and be unable to push for major script or direction changes. Look at all the psuedo-Matrix movies that followed it; besides being the photocopy of a photocopy of Honk Kong style action, the action scenes are all chaotic jumbles partially because the stars can't handle doing action more complicated than two seconds long (and of course they can't just have the stuntmen do the entire scene for them).

Also, I've heard that the on again, off again talks for a Hellblazer series are currently on again (with the title Hellblazer to avoid the connection to the film). As with any nerd project, though, I'd hold off until they're actually shooting before getting excited about it.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Just to double check, submissions are text-only, right? Still need to crank out my Punisher: War Zone piece.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

The advantage of Reeves in The Matrix is that he had zero star power at the time

Are you kidding? Speed was a huge hit in 94. Devil's Advocate was a talked about movie only two years prior to Matrix. We're not talking about casting Brandon Routh here (or Hugh Jackman for the first X-Men).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Eh, Reeves hit it big with Speed he kind of made a bunch of movies that just didn't take off and he seemed like he was doomed to fade until The Matrix came around. I mean Devil's Advocate did well, but it was also the most notable movie he made between Speed and The Matrix and it wasn't exactly a movie that said "this man is a star that should be opening movies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

axleblaze posted:

Eh, Reeves hit it big with Speed he kind of made a bunch of movies that just didn't take off and he seemed like he was doomed to fade until The Matrix came around. I mean Devil's Advocate did well, but it was also the most notable movie he made between Speed and The Matrix and it wasn't exactly a movie that said "this man is a star that should be opening movies".

I remember when critics said that Keanu was torpedoing his career for not agreeing to be in Speed 2. This was before Speed 2 came out, of course.

• Locked thread