Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Seoinin posted:

I don't think it's even that necessarily. It feels more like he's not sure what he wants to do with the story. Like, take the whole Aranea thing - I wasn't too hot on it, but at least there was a hint that something was about to happen to break the gridlock. But nope, the thread got introduced and then Hussie immediately regretted it and ever since she stuck her neck out she's been getting stomped on as hard as possible. I can't even get enthused at the idea of her being shut down because, gently caress, she never even accomplished anything except killing Jade in the most nudge-wink, "this won't stick" way possible. It's like if Doctor Doom got in a car wreck on the way to the office. At that point I don't want Richards to show up and kick him in the balls, I want someone to give him a lift.

But I guess everyone will just keep standing around with their thumbs up their asses for another three months, waiting for the problems to solve themselves. I'll probably keep reading anyway because I have atrocious taste in media.

e. For real it feels like there's a guy saying "wait for it. WAAAAIIIT for it." but he just keeps saying that over and over with longer emphasis on various parts of the phrase but "it" never actually happens.

That's how I feel. The Aranea twist was extremely cool, but he just used it to have Jake go SSJ, which turned out to be pointless in the end. At this point, it feels like the readers are reading various drafts for the lead to an ending instead of the actual lead to an ending. It's pretty frustrating having him constantly change his mind from update to update. The "HIC or Aranea complete the new universe for the kids, but actually create Caliborn's universe" take would be interesting and could easily be used to tie into the "looks like defeat, but is actually victory" thing that's appeared several times (like the cherub's chess game), but Hussie seems completely unwilling to commit to it. It's not even that hard; have HIC or Aranea "win", but use it as an opportunity for the kids and surviving trolls to defeat LE once and for all. From there, have the universe completely change in a way that HIC/Aranea's universe simply doesn't exist. Bingo, the team has managed to snatch victory from the jaws of victory and the bad guys have truly lost. Instead, it seems the whole group is just standing around with thumbs up their asses while Hussie figures out how to end this.

The ironic thing is that, back in the day, Hussie said he didn't want to series to essentially be a sitcom, where nothing really happens to the characters. This is almost exactly what is happening right now. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I really liked this update, and I am surprised that it has its detractors. Over the past five days, what I've been hearing on here and on other forums (tumblr) is that characters need to be proactive and stand up against Gamzee. In this update, Jake, Rose and Karkat all did what people wanted them to do: acted against Gamzee. Of course none of it was particularly effective, yet, but even if its not leading to plot development, we have character development.

As for the people who say the story doesn't go anywhere: I think that one thing to remember is that if we were to read all the updates from the beginning of September (the end of the last Homosuck to now), it would take maybe an hour. If you are reading through it at that rate, it would seem like the story was developing at a rapid pace, and it would be hard to keep up with all the developments. Its just when it is spread out over 6+ weeks that it seems to be moving at a glacial pace with false starts and stops.

The story is going somewhere. Imagine skipping from the end of Cascade to this update, and you would obviously feel like lots of things had happened in the story.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

'Nothing happens to the characters' means everything returns to the status quo at the end. I don't really think that's even remotely applicable here, otherwise Rose would still be dressed in black, half of the trolls wouldn't be dead, and Dave would still be affecting detachment instead of being an over-excited geek who fawns over the Mayor.

Maybe y'all ought to take a vacation from serial consumption if it's bugging you that much?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

closeted republican posted:

That's how I feel. The Aranea twist was extremely cool, but he just used it to have Jake go SSJ, which turned out to be pointless in the end. At this point, it feels like the readers are reading various drafts for the lead to an ending instead of the actual lead to an ending. It's pretty frustrating having him constantly change his mind from update to update. The "HIC or Aranea complete the new universe for the kids, but actually create Caliborn's universe" take would be interesting and could easily be used to tie into the "looks like defeat, but is actually victory" thing that's appeared several times (like the cherub's chess game), but Hussie seems completely unwilling to commit to it. It's not even that hard; have HIC or Aranea "win", but use it as an opportunity for the kids and surviving trolls to defeat LE once and for all. From there, have the universe completely change in a way that HIC/Aranea's universe simply doesn't exist. Bingo, the team has managed to snatch victory from the jaws of victory and the bad guys have truly lost. Instead, it seems the whole group is just standing around with thumbs up their asses while Hussie figures out how to end this.

The ironic thing is that, back in the day, Hussie said he didn't want to series to essentially be a sitcom, where nothing really happens to the characters. This is almost exactly what is happening right now. :v:

But we still don't know what was "unlocked" in Jake's head (for example), among multiple other things that have been happening? As much as Andrew does have pacing issues, I really doubt he made this whole Aranea thing happen and then immediately regretted it. The guy does plan ahead and so far almost everything has happened for a purpose. Let's just wait for this to unfold, of course some big thing is going down soon (10/25 would make a lot of sense as suggested several times)

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I've got this hunch that we're going to cut to Caliborn torturing John with completely juvenile bullshit, and it'll be revealed that he's actually trapped John within homosuck and that's why he hasn't shown up during this whole clusterfuck going on at present.

Also Skaia burning in lava would probably be a plot point I considered important if we didn't have a character capable of creating anything out of nothing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

I really liked this update, and I am surprised that it has its detractors. Over the past five days, what I've been hearing on here and on other forums (tumblr) is that characters need to be proactive and stand up against Gamzee. In this update, Jake, Rose and Karkat all did what people wanted them to do: acted against Gamzee. Of course none of it was particularly effective, yet, but even if its not leading to plot development, we have character development.

As for the people who say the story doesn't go anywhere: I think that one thing to remember is that if we were to read all the updates from the beginning of September (the end of the last Homosuck to now), it would take maybe an hour. If you are reading through it at that rate, it would seem like the story was developing at a rapid pace, and it would be hard to keep up with all the developments. Its just when it is spread out over 6+ weeks that it seems to be moving at a glacial pace with false starts and stops.

The story is going somewhere. Imagine skipping from the end of Cascade to this update, and you would obviously feel like lots of things had happened in the story.

This particular update is pretty ho hum just because it spends a whole lot of space to do literally nothing. 30 pages of status quo and the only development is the Condesce has arrived. I have really enjoyed this sub-act in general, though, and I don't think it feels like it's treadmilling at all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

brainSnakes posted:

Also Skaia burning in lava would probably be a plot point I considered important if we didn't have a character capable of creating anything out of nothing.

Wouldn't she pretty much have to be intimately familiar with Skaia to make it, though?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I thought the Lava was Karkat using his bloody powers :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

This actually does remind me of the Demon Mobster Kingpin battle, specifically some of the shots where you could see the whole world and all the little bits in motion (like the universe being torn in half).

The problem with this situation is it's so much build-up on top of build-up that it really has to start paying off soon, and nobody really trusts Hussie to actually start doing that. We're getting a little break where we get to see Caliborn, but when we cut back are we going to see the Condesce laying in and killing people? No, except maybe Aranea, because everyone else is necessary to her plans. And killing Aranea just makes this whole weird, spiraling digression even more pointless since what did she even accomplish?

Things should really start happening, but we're probably just in for another round of breaking things up and spinning things out. If the Condesce squashes Aranea and scatters everyone back to the planets they were supposed to be on, eurgh...

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hussie will have my eternal respect if we come back to )(IC fighting anyone that hasn't shown up yet, up to and including Spades Slick. God knows that rocket rear end could use a turbo boost.

Incidentally, where are we in Homosuck? Act 3? I can't wait for Caliborn to reach the Inhertitshun and give us some *FORESHADOWING*

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Gabriel Pope posted:

This particular update is pretty ho hum just because it spends a whole lot of space to do literally nothing. 30 pages of status quo and the only development is the Condesce has arrived. I have really enjoyed this sub-act in general, though, and I don't think it feels like it's treadmilling at all.

It's not like there's a page limit or anything man and you can get through all 30 pages in like a minute or two. Not everything has to be wham bam go go go poo poo happening, sometimes you want to just stretch something cool or dramatic out. The Condesce (probably the most powerful, intelligent and dangerous being outside of Lord English) showing up pissed as hell is absolutely an event with some gravitas that deserves some time and emphasis. In an ideal world I suppose this would be a flash but whatever, just play that bit of music from the start of that other flash where she showed up and you're good.

Also I'm laughing at all the peeps just instantly dismissing everything going on because it's 'just sooooo obvious that Hussie will just send everyone home and nothing will have happened'. I really doubt that, especially now that the Condesce has arrived. At this point almost every character of interest has shown up, with more incoming. This is like the perfect point to either wrap or significantly develop the Condesce's plot line or pose as a team or whatever.

Same with Areana's plan- her plan was stupid and would never work, but that doesn't mean nothing's happened. If you haven't noticed it was Aranea's doing that got everyone all in one place.

Finally, stop thinking of update batches as distinct scenes- like, Gamzee hucking Terezi at the lava wasn't the end of the 'episode'. It wasn't a situation like, "Will Terezi survive? Turn in the MSPA: Homestuck Gaiden Z next week to find out!" I mean sure that's how we experienced it reading serially but that's not the intention writing wise. We also don't know how things will end up! It's like if you were watching the Lion King, but in 2-3 minute chunks, so when Scar knocks Mufasa off the cliff is one part, then the next is Scar taunting him and Mufasa pleading, and you're all like, "Why would they set up Mufasa's death and then undo that with Scar holding him up? Way to never progress past the status quo!" completely ignoring the character dynamics and also a second later he loving drops him. So let's just chill and actually wait and see what happens AND THEN complain about how it sucks (because it will :v:)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Dolash posted:

The problem with this situation is it's so much build-up on top of build-up that it really has to start paying off soon, and nobody really trusts Hussie to actually start doing that. We're getting a little break where we get to see Caliborn, but when we cut back are we going to see the Condesce laying in and killing people? No, except maybe Aranea, because everyone else is necessary to her plans. And killing Aranea just makes this whole weird, spiraling digression even more pointless since what did she even accomplish?

I agree. Throwing a wrench into a machine, letting it run for several minutes and removing the wrench can only result in a machine that functioned just as well as it did before the wrench got in there. Nothing has happened.

I MEAN COME ON, HUSSIE!

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

KATY PERRY posted:

Guys I think Gamzee might be evil.

I don't know what you could be basing that on, this is all clearly reasonable self defense.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

I think this whole centerpiece of Terezi "fighting" Gamzee would've been helped a lot if Hussie wasn't so enamoured with the character that he gave him explicit clown-based plot armour. It makes any fight with him a foregone conclusion because he literally cannot lose. We all knew ahead of time that Terezi wouldn't be able to put him down despite being well armed and him not fighting back because we've already seen the part with Caliborn doing the same thing.

It also has the side effect of guaranteeing that Rose's intervention will accomplish nothing (other than exploding Jake, which is its own reward) because unless she actually physically grabs Terezi she's not going to be able to stop him.

With that in mind, I'm kind of wondering where those Seer of Light powers that let her know how to win at things are going to get used because they seem to have had a lot of opportunities to come into play, but haven't.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
At this point I'm hoping for this to end up a Beta reality due to Areana's meddling, and seeing maybe some information from this doomed session leaking over to the Alpha due to the Ring & Jade talking with Calliope.

I also suspect at this point one of the big issues going on is Hussie is having to devote more time to other projects, and this is going to lead to the final acts being very slow and plodding, as the creative time gets moving into newer things.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't know why everyone wants this retconned. That would be like weeks to months just totally thrown out the window. The only time the retcon worked was because it only undid a few days worth of updates. It was brief (okay, well HS brief) and it was funny.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

dropping wisdom

Pretty much this, jesus. Normally I wouldn't be so quick to jump on goons for their opinions but it really is an unending cycle of people commenting on unfinished scenes and sometimes assuming they can only end one way, and then conveniently forgetting they ever came to that conclusion when things end up different or better than expected. And maybe I think people are just getting so antsy to reach they ending that they're increasingly going stir-crazy and treating every single scene as a potential ending jump-off point, when it may simply be just a scene to show off something cool or nudge some of the chess pieces(metaphorical, not the prospitians) into place for the final arc.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Remeber when Rose was going to gently caress up the game something fierce? Now Hussie won't let her do anything that isn't getting drunk or hitting the wrong people with her magics.

I don't think she hit the wrong person with her magic. :smug:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I think we were just spoiled by the amazing crescendo of Act 5. And Lord English's big reveal gave him so much heel heat!

Now it's this weird tantric Dawson's Creek-ey thing that builds up, and builds up, and then Caliborn shows up to do something funny or maybe fat-shame Jane, and then we cut back to something else and a relationship has begun or ended off camera. I like this comic but man it's rough for me to be a serial reader right now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Remember when Hussie said he'd finish Homestuck some time in 2013 so the game he was paid $2.5M to make could be released by 2014? Those were good times.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fister Roboto posted:

Remember when Hussie said he'd finish Homestuck some time in 2013 so the game he was paid $2.5M to make could be released by 2014? Those were good times.

Well, he still has till 11:59:59:99 PM Dec 31st to hit that deadline.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
From my view, there's no narrative problems worth getting unglued over, and I'll be happy as long as Spades Slick keeps being awesome and we don't end with LOST-sized loose ends.

I guess I'm not real tough to please.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I think the problem I'm having with HS at the moment is that I enjoy updates in and of themselves, but then I step back and look at the bigger picture and just get frustrated with how grindingly slow things are progressing. Like, Condy showing up was pretty OH poo poo worthy on its own, but taken as a part of the story on the larger scale it feels like she's just showing up to enforce curfew. Everyone get back in your boxes, funtimes are over.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seoinin posted:

I think the problem I'm having with HS at the moment is that I enjoy updates in and of themselves, but then I step back and look at the bigger picture and just get frustrated with how grindingly slow things are progressing. Like, Condy showing up was pretty OH poo poo worthy on its own, but taken as a part of the story on the larger scale it feels like she's just showing up to enforce curfew. Everyone get back in your boxes, funtimes are over.

Your opinions on the comic notwithstanding your posts in this thread are the best posts in this thread, keep making posts.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

It just dawned on me that in less than a month, Act 6 will have been going on for two years.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
I get the feeling that if there's any part of this interlude that's going to have big consequences, it's Jade's house getting knocked down. I remember Hussie once hinting on formspring that there was a special purpose to building up the houses beyond just allowing easy access to the gates, which makes sense because why else would the Condesce need Jane to do it when pretty much everyone in the session can fly?

Then again, they've probably got as more build grist than they'd ever need, so John or Dave could just rebuild it when they get the time.

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011
If only Karkat unleashed his hate on Gamzee 3 years ago instead of pap/shoohing him to moirail-ship after he pointlessly killed Equius and Nepeta. If only...

Fister Roboto posted:

Psssh. I remember when Homestuck was supposed to end at 2010.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

If only Karkat unleashed his hate on Gamzee 3 years ago instead of pap/shoohing him to moirail-ship after he pointlessly killed Equius and Nepeta. If only...

Psssh. I remember when Homestuck was supposed to end at 2010.

I remember when Homestuck was supposed to end

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

Pointlessly?

We got Fefetasprite out of that, you rear end in a top hat. :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pointlessly?

We got Fefetasprite out of that, you rear end in a top hat. :colbert:
Poor, dear, sweet Fefeta. :(

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
Why must you all dredge up painful memories of Fefetasprite? The wounds have not yet healed. :smith:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I ain't give a f*dge about fefeta. Yeah that's right, I came to drop bombs.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

Seoinin posted:

I ain't give a f*dge about fefeta. Yeah that's right, I came to drop bombs.

Woah man, let's not say anything here we might regret

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Next you'll say the Mayor ISN'T everyone's best loving friend.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm getting sick of those HILARIOUS WACKY glitches. What is even the point of that?

It's not supposed to be hilarious anymore. It's just a plot element. If you're looking for a way that it has improved the comic, well, I rather like what he did with it on this page.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I don't know what everyone is talking about with nothing happening. Were it not for a clown loving up things, with Jade incapacitated and Jane focusing on choking Aranea, if the other characters were planning on getting stuff done they'd have a chance to.

Where IS John in all this?

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

My assumption is that John's still in Caliborn's narrative comic world, and that we're probably about to see him again.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Maybe Caliborn's narrative comic world is what will motivate John to actually control the jumping around.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

brainSnakes posted:

I've got this hunch that we're going to cut to Caliborn torturing John with completely juvenile bullshit, and it'll be revealed that he's actually trapped John within homosuck and that's why he hasn't shown up during this whole clusterfuck going on at present.

If that is a shrunk Skaia on the fork I don't think we've got much to worry about. The tadpole survived similar conditions and ended up with the denizen. All the stuff they need is going to end up in the same place. I'm thinking the end result of this whole clusterfuck is going to be some combination of space and time players confronting a denizen and setting off a series of event where the kids all confront their respective denizens and make whatever choice it is they will be presented with. This may relate to jade being taken out, since it would let the trolls talk to Echidna, and the empress has already tried to compel them to do.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Bell_ posted:

I don't know what everyone is talking about with nothing happening. Were it not for a clown loving up things, with Jade incapacitated and Jane focusing on choking Aranea, if the other characters were planning on getting stuff done they'd have a chance to.

Where IS John in all this?

I think the idea is it only counts as "things happening" if they advance or slow the main plot, otherwise they're just kind of noise. If the players use this opportunity to defeat the Condesce (thus allowing them to focus their efforts on Lord English) then that will be something happening, but until then it's so much aimless conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ariong posted:

It's not supposed to be hilarious anymore. It's just a plot element. If you're looking for a way that it has improved the comic, well, I rather like what he did with it on this page.

OK, so what's the point of it, plot-wise?