Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It would be really neat if they were more diverse, though. Modifiers with "+% chance not to use ammo" or "+# extra projectiles" would be really neat to mess around with and let you make cool gimmick builds.

Those would be cool and not imbalanced (IMO), given that -% Mana Cost exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
What's the best AFK setup for keys/money/crafting materials? I've got the Pygmy Staff and the associated gear, I figure that would be good for farming.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mostly I just enjoy games where one option or another isn't the 'best' when you get to the highest tier of play. The reforge system will probably always be a moneysink, but I would mind less if none of the options were objectively shittier or better than the others. Needs more varied options for sure.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

What's the best AFK setup for keys/money/crafting materials? I've got the Pygmy Staff and the associated gear, I figure that would be good for farming.

If it's just for keys, then a little meteor hovel with spear traps on a one second timer, a water candle, and a pygmy staff while sitting in honey is how I got all my keys

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186395661

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish there was an accessory or method that could boost drop rates. People are going to grind anyway, why not give them an in-game buff? No matter how difficult to obtain it would be better than leaving idling the oft-chosen recourse for people seeking keys and the like.

Personally, I'd settle for one that just increased the drop rate on monster banners.
I want those loving banners.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Vib Rib posted:

Personally, I'd settle for one that just increased the drop rate on monster banners.

I have so many banners that dropped instead of stuff that I'm after that they are starting to remind me of photon drops from PSO. "Oh, a thing! gently caress, it's a banner! :argh:"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vib Rib posted:

I can't even guess at how long it'd take to farm the rare spawn banners like the Groom, Tim, Pinky, Goblin scout ect.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RatHat posted:

I can't even guess at how long it'd take to farm the rare spawn banners like the Groom, Tim, Pinky, Goblin scout ect.

Of those, only looks like Goblin Scouts have a banner - Tim and Groom don't have one and Pinky just drops a generic Slime Banner (at least all according to the wiki)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Clown and Nymph have banners too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RatHat posted:

Some rare monsters (like the antlion) have higher drop rates to compensate. The Nymph, however, has a 0.5% chance to drop its banner.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I'm just missing 2 banners to complete the 87 :smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Which ones? And isn't it 88?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

I'm just missing 2 banners to complete the 87 :smith:
How long did it take you, and did you literally just do it by constantly running around in their spawning area?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

How long did it take you, and did you literally just do it by constantly running around in their spawning area?

A lot, but the jungle ones were easy as i was trying to get an UZI, after that I turned the jungle into a mushroom biome. Also I started a server with increased spawn rates, farming for the rare ones would be crazy.

RatHat posted:

Which ones? And isn't it 88?

87 according to the wiki, http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Monster_Banner

Edit: Sorry an extra dot.

benzine fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 17, 2013

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

benzine posted:

A lot, but the jungle ones were easy as i was trying to get an UZI, after that I turned the jungle into a mushroom biome. Also I started a server with increased spawn rates, farming for the rare ones would be crazy.

87 according to the wiki, http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Monster_Banner.

That links to an empty page.

Also do the banners do anything?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

goodness posted:

That links to an empty page.

Also do the banners do anything?

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Monster_Banner

And no but it's been speculated at least that they dictate or indicate where certain enemies in the dungeon spawn (which would be cool but it's probably not the case).

Mr.Hotkeys fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 17, 2013

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Monster_Banner

And no but it's been speculated at least that they dictate or define where certain enemies in the dungeon spawn (which would be cool but it's probably not the case).

No again according to the wiki it depends on the kind of dungeon wall, but who knows.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
In my new world I spawned only about 400 feet away from a cave with three treasure chests and 15 pots :psyduck:

That means the rest of the world is going to kill me horribly isn't it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

Using what tool? I wouldn't mind a crazy-infested world myself.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Using what tool? I wouldn't mind a crazy-infested world myself.

The clentaminator using the blue solution, that it's sold by the truffle.

Edit: Now with images.

benzine fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 17, 2013

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Er, I meant what tool did you use to increase the server spawn rates?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just fought Plantera for the first time, it was super easy. Thanks to anyone who gave advice! All I did was build an elevator shaft above the bulb beforehand and then led Plantera to my sky bridge. Only took a couple minutes and was pretty low risk.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Er, I meant what tool did you use to increase the server spawn rates?

Sorry, Tshock and then use the command /spawnrate X

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Other then no base defences my biggest dissapointment with this patch is spiders.

Why spiders? I hate spiders. :negative:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I looked up the Nymph on the wiki because I have never heard of that mob. I swear someone has to be trolling the trivia section, they are so DUMB

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Goodpancakes posted:

I looked up the Nymph on the wiki because I have never heard of that mob. I swear someone has to be trolling the trivia section, they are so DUMB

This is true of the trivia section on every page in that wiki and also every page in every wiki.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I've been vaguely inclined to troll the wiki and add a trivia section to the Ash Block claiming it's a reference to either Pokemon or Evil Dead. Looking at all the other ridiculous trivia, it would probably stay there for quite a while.

In other news, I genned a new world for ichor, fast-tracked to hell, and realized I'd need some housing for the Guide to respawn in. Decided to just use the obsidian poo poo I'd been collecting while smoothing out a hellbridge.

I call it Unholy Heights. :v:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Goodpancakes posted:

I swear someone has to be trolling the trivia section, they are so DUMB

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Web_Slinger

Web Slinger posted:

Trivia
  • The quantity of grapples that this item can have out at one time may refer to the the fact that spiders have eight legs.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I just went back to my ocean farming thing, and...seems like my ocean got crimmed. Is it hosed or can I revert it once i get the gun from the steampunker?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Anatharon posted:

Other then no base defences my biggest disappointment with this patch is spiders.
My only disappointment with spiders is they fail to spawn on the surface. I copypasted one of their caves into my forest, but nothing shows up there.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Dareon posted:

In other news, I genned a new world for ichor, fast-tracked to hell, and realized I'd need some housing for the Guide to respawn in. Decided to just use the obsidian poo poo I'd been collecting while smoothing out a hellbridge.

Gah, I spawned a new world for Wall of Flesh farming, and forgot you need the guide to be alive to kill it after the first time. If I build a house for the now non-existent guide, will he eventually spawn, or do I need to generate a new world and build the house before I kill the guide the first time?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Just fought the Golem until I got the picksaw :radcat: This is it, this is the big time

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, that was interesting. Just used TerrariViewer to muck with my inventory and buffs a bit(boss summon items and battle potion for 2+ hours), and something glitched somewhere. My ammo turned into about a billion Amber, and my money into random crap. Don't think I'll ever need to hack money in again, though, the Amber sold forlike 3000 plat, all told.

Now just to get copies of the hardmode boss trophies and 4 more dungeon keys. I won't hack them in directly, but I won't feel bad to hack in summoning items, ammo or buffs to make getting them easier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
What's a good place to set up a water candle and a battle potion to farm Mimics? I want that GPS.

Mental Midget posted:

Gah, I spawned a new world for Wall of Flesh farming, and forgot you need the guide to be alive to kill it after the first time. If I build a house for the now non-existent guide, will he eventually spawn, or do I need to generate a new world and build the house before I kill the guide the first time?

He'll respawn when there's a house for him yeah. I ran into this issue myself and wasted a guide doll.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ashsaber posted:

Well, that was interesting. Just used TerrariViewer to muck with my inventory and buffs a bit(boss summon items and battle potion for 2+ hours), and something glitched somewhere. My ammo turned into about a billion Amber, and my money into random crap. Don't think I'll ever need to hack money in again, though, the Amber sold forlike 3000 plat, all told.
I had TV glitch out on me when I tried changing stuff in the Equipment tab; since then I've stuck to the Inventory tab only.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Mental Midget posted:

He won't spawn during nighttime. Which might be a thing if you hanging out in hell waiting for him to show up so you can start your fight.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RatHat posted:

What's a good place to set up a water candle and a battle potion to farm Mimics? I want that GPS.

Surface mimics, which have less health than the other varieties, will spawn on natural dirt walls. Dig a hole, then dig a few 3 block high coridors into the sides, a screen and a bit long. You can make this an auto farm using lava pits (6 blocks long,1 bucket lava), but you would need to hook up some arrow traps to poke the mimics into action.

Also, don't try this on Hallow or corruption, since Fairys gum up the works, and Corrupters can get you still and will probably gum up the works. Not sure about Crimson, but Floaty Ghosts will probably, as you've probably guessed, gum up the works.

E: Couple screenshots of my Mimic Grinder over here, if you want

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 17, 2013

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Jackard posted:

I had TV glitch out on me when I tried changing stuff in the Equipment tab; since then I've stuck to the Inventory tab only.

I changed the hair on a character and it deleted their entire inventory.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

I think I got lucky with my Temple layout.

Was able to grapple to the ceiling and shoot him w/ megashark until second phase, when I could go round that bend and hit him with a flail in relative safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just survived two eclipses in a row. Holy gently caress that event is a glorious shitstorm. Got a full set of eclipse beastie banners except for Eyezor, if he even has a banner.

In unrelated news, dying the Shroomite set with red and silver dye makes an awesome Canadian superhero outfit.

Hummingbirds posted:

Just fought the Golem until I got the picksaw :radcat: This is it, this is the big time

Is that a rare drop or something? I got it from him the first time.

• Locked thread