Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

Joementum posted:

Rick Santorum can't help himself, he just has to keep talking about contraception. Apparently he's landed on a new theory: Robespierre wanted to depose the nobility to hand out slut pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBxWIc-7-eI

1:44 :stonk:

With a quote like "WE WILL MAKE YOU..." I hope to god he runs again. The selective editing of that speech for a campaign video would be hilarious. I'm thinking of something like Norm Coleman's ad against Franken when he was bashing a podium like he was Krushchev. (it was during a comedy routine or something)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
Dumb question about the thread title but it's been bothering me for a while: I know who Sen. Agua Bottle is but who is Sen. Aqua Buddha?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Foo posted:

Dumb question about the thread title but it's been bothering me for a while: I know who Sen. Agua Bottle is but who is Sen. Aqua Buddha?

Rand Paul.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Foo posted:

Google Rand Paul and Aqua Buddha. Here, I'll even do most of the work for you. It's one of the weirder things from the last few elections. Not the weirdest, probably not even in the top ten, but certainly on the other side of the line.

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
This is your bed, GOP. You may not enjoy sleeping in it.

quote:

Sen. Ted Cruz won the Values Voter Summit’s presidential straw poll on Saturday with a plurality of votes against big-name conservatives in the mix for 2016.

The Texas senator pulled in 42 percent of the votes cast at the annual conference for social conservatives. In second place with 13 percent was Dr. Ben Carson, the conservative commentator and neurosurgeon who drew widespread media coverage for comparing Obamacare to slavery in his speech at the summit.

Former Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum nearly tied Carson. Sen. Rand Paul, Sen. Marco Rubio and Rep. Paul Ryan trailed Santorum, each pulling in single-digit percentages in the poll.

Cruz bolstered his credentials with the Republican Party’s far-right wing after his 21-hour speech on the Senate floor calling to defund Obamacare. Cruz continued that theme in his speech at the Values Voter Summit on Friday. When hecklers interrupted Cruz’s speech, he called them “Obama’s paid political operatives.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/ted-cruz-values-voter-summit-straw-poll-98232.html

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Joementum posted:

Rick Santorum can't help himself, he just has to keep talking about contraception. Apparently he's landed on a new theory: Robespierre wanted to depose the nobility to hand out slut pills.

Yes, because as we all know, the Church during the French revolution was not very corrupt. It's been a while since I studied the revolution, but wasn't one of the big concerns was the large amount of land that the Catholic church was amassing in France, and since the church owned the land, they couldn't be taxed. I also remember the fact that the nobility paid lower taxes...

Oh for gently caress's sake. Santorum is arguing on the side of the Nobility in the French Revolution. If he was in charge, we wouldn't even have Abba's Waterloo!

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

TheOneOutside posted:

Google Rand Paul and Aqua Buddha. Here, I'll even do most of the work for you. It's one of the weirder things from the last few elections. Not the weirdest, probably not even in the top ten, but certainly on the other side of the line.

I didn't know about this. I assumed that "Aqua Buddha" was a reference to Chris Cristie.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

He seems upset. I half expected him to turn green during that speech :ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

VirtualStranger posted:

I didn't know about this. I assumed that "Aqua Buddha" was a reference to Chris Cristie.

No, it is definitely Rand Paul. The Aqua Buddha was a big story in the 2010 KY Senate election, Jack Conway even released an ad on it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yes, because as we all know, the Church during the French revolution was not very corrupt. It's been a while since I studied the revolution, but wasn't one of the big concerns was the large amount of land that the Catholic church was amassing in France, and since the church owned the land, they couldn't be taxed. I also remember the fact that the nobility paid lower taxes...

Oh for gently caress's sake. Santorum is arguing on the side of the Nobility in the French Revolution. If he was in charge, we wouldn't even have Abba's Waterloo!

Yeah it was mainly driven by the other estates such nobility and clergy getting to financially abuse the other groups since medieval times.

Basically over concentration of wealth and power eventually causing the collapse of the existing order in a spectacular way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Oh poo poo he won a straw poll. This will ever matter! As I recall the RNC or some other group is trying to kill the whole straw poll thing since it's not doing anything but pointing out the wingnuts' favorite candidate.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

etalian posted:

Yeah it was mainly driven by the other estates such nobility and clergy getting to financially abuse the other groups since medieval times.

Basically over concentration of wealth and power eventually causing the collapse of the existing order in a spectacular way.

And Santorum missed this lesson about the French Revolution. I mean, I seriously don't understand these guys at all. They are aware of history, and yet, it seems like all they know are the events, not the causes.

I explained to a libertarian friend of mine that money is sort of like blood. It doesn't matter how much you have in you if it ain't moving and is just getting pooled up. A lot of dead people have all of their blood. It's just not going anywhere.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Oh poo poo he won a straw poll. This will ever matter! As I recall the RNC or some other group is trying to kill the whole straw poll thing since it's not doing anything but pointing out the wingnuts' favorite candidate.

The RNC is trying to kill everything that calls attention to what the clown show actually believes because none of it ever polls as well as Generic Republican does.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Cemetry Gator posted:

And Santorum missed this lesson about the French Revolution. I mean, I seriously don't understand these guys at all. They are aware of history, and yet, it seems like all they know are the events, not the causes.

I explained to a libertarian friend of mine that money is sort of like blood. It doesn't matter how much you have in you if it ain't moving and is just getting pooled up. A lot of dead people have all of their blood. It's just not going anywhere.

Yeah, I find that motor oil makes a similarly useful metaphor. (I'm sure I'm not the first to use it.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Previous straw poll winners:
2012 - Huckabee
2011 - Ron Paul
2010 - Mike Pence
2009 - Huckabee
2007 - Romney

They really know how to pick a winner.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Keep in mind, Dr. Carson came in 2nd or 3rd in the straw poll. That tells you what that says about these guys. A doctor who said that back in 1831, everyone who completed a second grade education was completely literate, believes in the flat-tax, and compared gays to pedophiles and beastiality-enjoying-people. Yeah. This is a guy who I want running the country. He may be a brilliant surgeon, but that doesn't mean he knows a single thing about politics.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh good, this is just what the Democrats need in 2016.

quote:

No ears reported any mention of whatever 2016 ambitions Clinton might have. But state Rep. Tom Taylor, R-Dunwoody, said the former first lady dropped a huge hint. “I know she’s running for president now, because toward the end, she was asked about the Osama bin Laden raid. She took 25 minutes to answer,” Taylor said. “Without turning the knife too deeply, she put it to [Vice President Joe] Biden.”

Time and time again, Taylor said, Clinton mentioned the vice president’s opposition to the raid, while characterizing herself and Leon Panetta, then director of the Central Intelligence Agency, as the action’s most fierce advocates.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wasn't Clinton's (perceived?) hawkishness part of what cost her the primary vs Obama? Or was that swamped out in the rest of the debate?

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Wasn't Clinton's (perceived?) hawkishness part of what cost her the primary vs Obama? Or was that swamped out in the rest of the debate?

It was, and it's the chief thing that might make her lose it in 2016 too.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Quasimango posted:

Or we could go all topsy-turvy, where a Clinton/Paul GE (god help us) makes the Democrats the party of a strong defense and the GOP the party of dovish isolationism

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Or we could go all topsy-turvy, where a Clinton/Paul GE (god help us) makes the Democrats the party of a strong defense and the GOP the party of dovish isolationism

In case you hadn't noticed, Obama is Seal Team Sixing random AQ dudes in Libya and Somalia in broad daylight while conducting drone strikes over sovereign states on the daily. Ronnie Raygun would have wet his diapers over the sort of strikes the White House is authorizing these days and there's not a loving peep about it from anyone other than isolationist libertarians, I suppose. Ten years of bad war makes smart war look pretty drat good in comparison, I guess, or everyone's distracted by the domestic kerfluffles we're dealing with to be too mad about it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

serewit posted:

In case you hadn't noticed, Obama is Seal Team Sixing random AQ dudes in Libya and Somalia in broad daylight while conducting drone strikes over sovereign states on the daily. Ronnie Raygun would have wet his diapers over the sort of strikes the White House is authorizing these days and there's not a loving peep about it from anyone other than isolationist libertarians, I suppose. Ten years of bad war makes smart war look pretty drat good in comparison, I guess, or everyone's distracted by the domestic kerfluffles we're dealing with to be too mad about it.

It's because anti war sentiments have traditionally had "bring our boys home" as a major plank but now you can do war without having your boys over there in the first place.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Quasimango posted:

Advocating the raid on Abbottabad is not going to cost her anything. The Iraq vote might still hold some sting 13 years out but you'd need to find someone else who vocally opposed it at the time to run against her.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ManifunkDestiny posted:

This has really been the alignment for nearly all of the current two party system. I think at some point we're going to realize that the neoconservative influence on the Bush 43 administration, and to a lesser extent the Reagan and Bush 41 administrations, was a historical aberration.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

This has really been the alignment for nearly all of the current two party system. I think at some point we're going to realize that the neoconservative influence on the Bush 43 administration, and to a lesser extent the Reagan and Bush 41 administrations, was a historical aberration.

The slogan when I was a kid was, "Democrats start wars, Republicans cause recessions." The '60s version of "they're all terrible."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It's not being pro-war that's the potential problem for the Democratic party here, it's that Hillary feels the need to attack Joe Biden on this issue in October 2013. It signals an acrimonious primary ahead that the Democrats would very much prefer to avoid.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

DynamicSloth posted:

Advocating the raid on Abbottabad is not going to cost her anything. The Iraq vote might still hold some sting 13 years out but you'd need to find someone else who vocally opposed it at the time to run against her.
Speaking of which, I was wondering lately if Dick Durbin has ever exhibited any aspiration for higher office. As far as I know, the only thing I oppose him on is SOPA, and that's relatively minor. Is he too far left to be considered viable, or has he just never been apparently interested?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Joementum posted:

It's not being pro-war that's the potential problem for the Democratic party here, it's that Hillary feels the need to attack Joe Biden on this issue in October 2013. It signals an acrimonious primary ahead that the Democrats would very much prefer to avoid.

The last thing the Democrats need is a repeat of the 2008 primary. Almost made the 2012 GOP primaries look civilized by comparison.

Almost.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

A repeat of 2008 requires a competitive primary. I'm sure there will be Clinton spitefulness, but that's inside baseball unless Biden manages to improve his numbers.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

A repeat of 2008 requires a competitive primary. I'm sure there will be Clinton spitefulness, but that's inside baseball unless Biden manages to improve his numbers.

Clinton's support is, once again, a mile wide, but how deep is it? Last time the answer was "not very." I think it's deeper this time, but I also wouldn't bet any money on that holding up against a sitting vice president.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Even if its not competitive, deliberately dividing the party is not good for its overall health. I think its also an attitude that's likely to create competition. If you're an rear end to people in party they're gonna try to find somebody else to vote for.

Strasburgs UCL fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 16, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
The Democrats should run Jeb Bush just to see what happens. "Hey, man, we believe about 90% of the same poo poo, but we bet you'll vote against this guy even though he's from your party!" America's government is basically just a bunch of people trolling one another anymore anyway. Why not?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

...what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards the Iowa Caucus to be born?

(a goon's thoughts on watching Ted Cruz bloviations this week)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ReindeerF posted:

The Democrats should run Jeb Bush just to see what happens. "Hey, man, we believe about 90% of the same poo poo, but we bet you'll vote against this guy even though he's from your party!" America's government is basically just a bunch of people trolling one another anymore anyway. Why not?

I hate to break it to you, but the american government has pretty much always been about trolling people.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Looking forward to D&D's collective meltdown when Biden brings up Benghazi as a thing Hillary did wrong he will

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

serewit posted:

Good. :colbert:

Well, not quite as good as even softer power, but rah rah one-state hegemony blah blah whatever.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

jeffersonlives posted:

Clinton's support is, once again, a mile wide, but how deep is it? Last time the answer was "not very." I think it's deeper this time, but I also wouldn't bet any money on that holding up against a sitting vice president.

A sitting VP has only been elected to the Presidency twice in American history (barring cases where they first ascended through the President's death) once in 1796 and once in 1988. Being VP will help Biden a bit, but the man's already had two floptastic presidential runs under his belt and the current makeup of the Democratic coalition is going to be less receptive to a 73 year old white guy than previous Democratic primaries (who have never seriously considered a candidate that old).

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

DynamicSloth posted:

A sitting VP has only been elected to the Presidency twice in American history (barring cases where they first ascended through the President's death) once in 1796 and once in 1988.
Three times, actually. Martin Van Buren was elected in 1836. :eng101:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DynamicSloth posted:

A sitting VP has only been elected to the Presidency twice in American history (barring cases where they first ascended through the President's death) once in 1796 and once in 1988. Being VP will help Biden a bit, but the man's already had two floptastic presidential runs under his belt and the current makeup of the Democratic coalition is going to be less receptive to a 73 year old white guy than previous Democratic primaries (who have never seriously considered a candidate that old).

What about Jefferson or Van Buren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

Welp got that one wrong, the 1796, 1988 thing was for VPs who've been elected after their two term President. Jefferson ran against the guy he was veeping for and Van Buren only served one term as VP.

Edit: Still only two VPs have ascended to Presidency through an election in the last 175 years and one of them had to wait 8 years.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 17, 2013

• Locked thread