Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
How do you deal with the following?:

There is a guy who plays D and is terrible and should be cut from the team but who cuts people from beer league..

Anyways, he is on the ice for 3 goals against and is directly responsible for two of them. His solution is that he needs to play center because nobody is scoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

poser posted:

There is a guy who plays D and is terrible and should be cut from the team but who cuts people from beer league..

Anyways, he is on the ice for 3 goals against and is directly responsible for two of them. His solution is that he needs to play center because nobody is scoring.

Wait is this guy on your team?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'd be happier than a pig in poo poo if I only spent $1k a year on hockey.

Seriously.

I spend a minimum of $200 a month, and usually much much more.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

poser posted:

Stuff him on a wing and forget about it.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

D C posted:

Agree. He can concentrate on being a sweet sniper or whatever the gently caress he wants better from the wing anyway.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Topoisomerase posted:

The injury has permanently affected my running and walking gait too, I can tell by the wear on my shoes and I have to consciously think about putting the same amount of weight on each side when I walk or run.

Make sure not to ask a doctor about this.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Chemmy posted:

Make sure not to ask a doctor about this.

Hey I saw a doctor when it first happened, I edited my post - she acted like it was nbd (it wasn't very painful after the first 48 hours, just really unstable) and maybe I could get some x-rays or see a physical therapist after a few months or whatever. So I took that to mean it'd be fine if I just rested it for a couple months. Then she got fired (probably for being lovely) so I didn't even get any lovely follow up.

Knowing what I know about joint injuries it's highly unlikely that anything could be done about it at this point 3 years later I think, even if something should have been done then.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Physical therapy to build your muscles back up is a good idea if you're not walking evenly.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

poser posted:

Directly responsible? Have you guys thought about getting a goalie?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

So I was playing around at stick time and I noticed that I have some bad skating habits that I seem to have developed after ripping up the ligaments in my right knee about 3 years ago. I've never had these sorts of difficulties before but I am almost a completely one (and a half - my right inside edge seems fine) footed skater at the moment when it comes to using edges. Like, using my right outside edge almost seems impossible. I know I USED to use that edge just fine, but I had to go back to total basics and play around with it at the boards and at gliding speed to even get a feel for how it might be to dig it into the ice now.

So does anyone have any tips for not being a 1.5 footed skater anymore? I've....never had to deal with a real glaring skating problem like this before, having learned how to skate when I was 4 years old, so I'm kind of at a loss. I also can't believe it has taken me this long to realize that my "slowing down" since my knee injury has been because of depending on my left foot and right inside edge exclusively. Pretty special. :downs:

I do the beginner version of this drill (no cones, more like big lazy outside-edge Cs up the length of the ice) sometimes in warm-up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV5v8-Na8vI

Also I find that working on pivots around cones with both feet on the ice helps if I think about getting my hips into the pivot. I feel like I do better if I have a puck to distract me but who knows.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Wooooo, my beer league team won tonight, but even better, I got a goal! In the entirety of last season, every single game I scored in we lost. I'm back on defense now, but it feels a lot more comfortable than last season and I'm really happy to be playing my natural position again. All in all a great night

As for learning to skate, I'm honestly in the same boat. I don't remember how I learned, except that I took a lot of lessons and camps as a kid. It's just become so natural that even the first time I played hockey again in 3 years was only bad because the muscles were totally out of shape, so I don't think I can offer advice, sorry :(

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I do the beginner version of this drill (no cones, more like big lazy outside-edge Cs up the length of the ice) sometimes in warm-up:

This one right here. I read what Topo wrote and thought about this as it gave me outside edges where I had none. Great drill and I look so glamorous doing these as a giant on the ice.

I suppose $1k a year is about right for me. Some money for a stick, sharpenings, a few games a week, and tape. The beer cost just about doubles that though.

Day off tomorrow: stick and puck with the coach and then game tomorrow night.

The never-evers on our team are amazing. First game of hockey they ever played and most of them had only ice skated twice ever in their lives. These are girls who were literally shaking before the game. They watched the game before ours and were saying a lot of "I don't know if we can handle this..." After the first period they were ear-to-ear smiling and are loving it. Put the puck on their stick and they are on top of the world. The other teams have been really good at seeing this and letting them carry the puck into the zone, too. drat I love this game.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

Topoisomerase posted:

Wait is this guy on your team?

Yes, but its not Chemmy or ItalicSquirrel

D C posted:

Topoisomerase posted:

Agree. He can concentrate on being a sweet sniper or whatever the gently caress he wants better from the wing anyway.

This makes sense

Dangerllama posted:

Directly responsible? Have you guys thought about getting a goalie?

He turns it over a lot right in front of our net and plays out of position.. So he either passes it directly to the shooter and is out of position and leaves someone open in the slot.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Chemmy posted:

Physical therapy to build your muscles back up is a good idea if you're not walking evenly.
She's American (and a student and also a vet student) so this would bankrupt her forever and ever RIP.

xzzy posted:

On the other hand if I'm gonna drop a thousand bucks a year to pay for ice I at least want to be able to get as much as I can out of it. :colbert:
I skate the same weather I'm bloated on (EARLY OCTOBER) Thanksgiving dinner (:canada:) with eight energy drinks and a two-six in me or famished having not eaten for 24 hours and only having had one thimble of water in the last week so I dunno what's going on with you there buddy.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

On the other hand if I'm gonna drop a thousand bucks a year to pay for ice I at least want to be able to get as much as I can out of it.

I went to stick and puck the other week and a super-duper-star bitched about music being on before hitting the ice. He had it turned off by time I got out there. Dude was there half an hour practicing clappers from the point and left.

Serious. Business. Motherfuckers.

Dude was full dress. I wore basketball shorts and a cardigan.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Also I find that working on pivots around cones with both feet on the ice helps if I think about getting my hips into the pivot. I feel like I do better if I have a puck to distract me but who knows.

If I have both feet on the ice at this point my left foot WILL lead it, regardless of what side I'm going to. There's that much of a difference right now. I need to be using only the one foot for now.

You know, I've tried these things and I think it's mostly a mental block at the moment, like I just don't trust it. I mean I think it's probably stable but my brain just says DON'T DO IT THAT WAY LIES CRUTCHES AND NO HOCKEY FOR MONTHS.

The original injury was actually partially caught on video, it was the dumbest play like I was getting low to lay my stick flat and block a centering pass through the slot and I got bowled over while my knee was in extension and it hyperextended and buckled medially and now I don't trust the medial side of it to extend it apparently.

fu brain :mad:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 17, 2013

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Topoisomerase posted:

^^lol 'beer_league.txt'

Well the problem is that I don't know how to approach things as a new skater because I haven't been one at all in my adult life! I literally do not remember how I learned to skate, stop, turn, etc because it's always felt 'natural' to me. Best I can come up with is doing circles at super slow speed over and over with that one edge but that doesn't feel like it gets me anywhere. Maybe I'm just being impatient with it, DC you're probably right

The injury has permanently affected my running and walking gait too, I can tell by the wear on my shoes and I have to consciously think about putting the same amount of weight on each side when I walk or run. It's a bit of mindfuckery.

Knee brace hasn't done poo poo, actually it seems like whenever I wear it I usually tweak the knee again and can't walk right for a day or two. Probably I should have actually done something aside from resting it for 3 months and then going back to full speed again right away. But the lovely doctor (who got fired a month later) at the student health services wasn't treating it like a big deal so I didn't either.
PT is an option, albeit a very expensive one.

My experience with re-learning how to skate was that I had problems trusting my balance on certain edges and I just wasn't leaning enough for the edge to really engage as I was trying to re-learn. I found that as I was practicing my edges, if I focused on leaning over during my cross-overs, I usually caught the edges that I wanted and it was then a matter of redeveloping the muscle memory and regaining the confidence in my balance to do it without thinking. This is still very much a work in progress for me, but I found when I came back as an adult, I really only had one cross-over at all (forward CCW) and the rest were absolutely awful. After a few years of mostly games and some intermittent practice, I've got 2 out of 4 down solid, and the other 2 I can do well, provided I'm mentally prepared and thinking about it. That's just my experience.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Topoisomerase posted:

You know, I've tried these things and I think it's mostly a mental block at the moment, like I just don't trust it. I mean I think it's probably stable but my brain just says DON'T DO IT THAT WAY LIES CRUTCHES AND NO HOCKEY FOR MONTHS.

I think you've got to start doing some more aggressive single-leg things. I've posted them before I do these two things almost every time I'm on the ice for at least a little bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKDbnm_IdYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHpfH8rGONs

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Topoisomerase posted:

If I have both feet on the ice at this point my left foot WILL lead it, regardless of what side I'm going to. There's that much of a difference right now. I need to be using only the one foot for now.

The original injury was actually partially caught on video, it was the dumbest play like I was getting low to lay my stick flat and block a centering pass through the slot and I got bowled over while my knee was in extension and it hyperextended and buckled medially and now I don't trust the medial side of it to extend it apparently.

fu brain :mad:

A friend of mine had that mental issue for a while after breaking an ankle. She was a less advanced skater than you, though, so really just practicing crossovers in the scary direction was appropriate to her level.

One thing that has helped me a lot recently has been dry-land agility drills (direction changes and breakdowns). I think they're just different enough from skating that some of the brain problems don't kick in the same. Anyway, I wouldn't have done them if my trainer didn't program them, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I played a whole game at D last night for the first time. It went pretty well I think (I mean, we got stomped, but that always happens) but I need to work on a couple things:

1. Defending a wide rush down the boards. This is partly me being a bad skater but I think I could have been a step faster if I had committed to pivoting a little sooner.

2. Taking away the pass on a 2 on 1. I get this in principle but I feel like I still got a little mesmerized by the puck carrier.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

Thufir posted:

I played a whole game at D last night for the first time. It went pretty well I think (I mean, we got stomped, but that always happens) but I need to work on a couple things:

1. Defending a wide rush down the boards. This is partly me being a bad skater but I think I could have been a step faster if I had committed to pivoting a little sooner.

2. Taking away the pass on a 2 on 1. I get this in principle but I feel like I still got a little mesmerized by the puck carrier.

2 is an acquired skill. I've played a lot of 2-on-1s and everything in you screams to go for the puck carrier, but you just gotta trust that your goalie can make the save if s/he knows you've got the pass for sure. It's not ideal but 2-on-1s rarely are, and beer leaguers are often not good enough to capitalize on that anyway :v:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Vicas posted:

2 is an acquired skill. I've played a lot of 2-on-1s and everything in you screams to go for the puck carrier, but you just gotta trust that your goalie can make the save if s/he knows you've got the pass for sure. It's not ideal but 2-on-1s rarely are, and beer leaguers are often not good enough to capitalize on that anyway :v:

Last time I played D, the folks I played against weren't interested in passing, but my goalie was also not interested in stopping the puck carrier's shot. She just ended up staring at me balefully like "why did you let that happen". :doh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Last time I played D, the folks I played against weren't interested in passing, but my goalie was also not interested in stopping the puck carrier's shot. She just ended up staring at me balefully like "why did you let that happen". :doh:

I think the proper response in those cases is something along the lines of "because I assumed you were competent."

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hey I'd like to mention my disdain for the old style hockey socks and say that I vastly prefer the rbk-edgeish type socks. I'm even willing to put up with the fact that they don't hold up too well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Knit socks or :frogout:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I like the RBK ones better too. Their durability is fine too, I'm almost 2 years into a pair and they just have a few holes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It doesn't really matter to me. They're socks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dude, everything matters. The adornment of every single piece of gear is a stylistic choice and instantly informs the people you play against how good you are at the game.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

i'm sweaty and knit socks are hotter and heavier.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

i'm sweaty and knit socks are hotter and heavier.

How sweaty do you have to be to notice the difference :stonk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

How sweaty do you have to be to notice the difference :stonk:

"Human Zamboni" levels of sweaty.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I've only ever played with knit stuff, but it's never really bothered me. The pair I have now are kinda falling apart though, so maybe I should go for something new

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Pleads posted:

As I say every time this discussion rears its head every few months, you are all sucky babies with weak stomachs who spend way too much time thinking through beer league nutritional routines.

If at least half of your beer league games don't begin with "oh poo poo I'm late" and a hastily consumed plate of food 45 minutes before puck drop and a stop at the gas station for a Rockstar and a 5-hour energy on the way there you are doing it wrong.

you know what's even better? post-game fast food. hell yeah.

or post-game bar food, which is even better.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

RBK socks fit more snugly, which I prefer.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Paging other member of the sweatpants as socks club to the thread.

Bewbies where are you

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

shyduck posted:

Same, I really really hate my shinpads/socks sliding around like really bad.

OTOH I....I like roller pants.... sad.

Pinky Artichoke posted:

A friend of mine had that mental issue for a while after breaking an ankle. She was a less advanced skater than you, though, so really just practicing crossovers in the scary direction was appropriate to her level.

One thing that has helped me a lot recently has been dry-land agility drills (direction changes and breakdowns). I think they're just different enough from skating that some of the brain problems don't kick in the same. Anyway, I wouldn't have done them if my trainer didn't program them, so I figured it was worth mentioning.

I wouldn't want to do this outside of a PT's direction - I had a HUGE setback nearly a year after the initial injury (I'd already been back to hockey for like 8 months at the time) while playing flag football and doing a lot of cutting.

Maybe I should just suck it up and see a doctor again to get a referral for physical therapy. Ugh, gently caress that original doctor for acting so nonchalantly about this, it's turned out to be pretty poo poo.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 18, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's no maybe, it's more of a "definitely."

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
Heh, socks. Who needs socks? :smug:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

shyduck posted:

Yup! THe RBK socks don't need any tape for me at all. They go over my shinpad and will not loving move. The only part that's loose is the top part, and I just velcro that to my underwear and the socks are stationary with no problems.

:smug: No clear tape needed here, bitches.

Bradf0rd posted:

Heh, socks. Who needs socks? :smug:

I once got to a pickup game and realized I had no socks. Played anyway, and was called "no socks" for like 3 weeks. Also, not wearing socks was so nice and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is anyone else's car trunk filled with a ton of random jerseys and socks?