Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm a freak who enjoys anaglyph 3d FPS games, and this supports it. loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Well I fixed my problem with the KISS game, i had to use the console to limit the fps and it stopped the flickering.

So far the game seems really depressing and I cant figure out why.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Quake2 AbSIRD is still more ridiculous... if you can find it given that the homepage seems to have gone the way of the dodo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstPersonShitter posted:

You're voluntarily playing a game based on the KISS license.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
John Romero Todd McFarlane is about to make you his bitch put you in the KISS Kasket

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

haveblue posted:

You're voluntarily playing a game based on the KISS license.

If memory serves it wasn't a terrible game, just a wierd thing to base an FPS on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I'm a freak who enjoys anaglyph 3d FPS games, and this supports it. loving awesome.

Dammit I can't find my glasses anywhere :mad:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I only have the vaguest memories of playing it from back in the day, but I can't help but feel like it had all the elements of a decently enjoyable game in there, but somehow it just felt wrong when it was all put together. Things bound with the glue of KISS are inherently sad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The official SA review of KISS Psycho Circus back in 2000 gave it a 37 on a scale of -50 to 50.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Install Windows posted:

The official SA review of KISS Psycho Circus back in 2000 gave it a 37 on a scale of -50 to 50.

If memory serves correctly, it's also one of the few the positive reviews of a game on the site!

RETRO GOTY 2013

EDIT: Well no wait just checked again and suddenly there's a lot more positive reviews than I remembered. What the heelllllllll

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 16, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
And if memory serves correctly, one of the reviewer's friends worked on the game! :haw:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

oh god it's all a lie

I can no longer trust Lowtax to give me an accurate representation of how lovely a game is or isn't :saddowns:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
To be fair I had the Dreamcast version as a kid and it was pretty good. Not fantastic but solid enough.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Its mechanically decent enough it just makes me feel really sad. I hate KISS a whole ton though so maybe thats why.

I dunno how I'm gonna write it up, it might just end up being one post cause although there are 4 characters they all share the same drat weapons.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Its mechanically decent enough it just makes me feel really sad. I hate KISS a whole ton though so maybe thats why.

I dunno how I'm gonna write it up, it might just end up being one post cause although there are 4 characters they all share the same drat weapons.

I seem to remember the first and last weapon of each character being different. I played it back in the day and thought it was fun.
However I was 15 at the time so anything with lots of blood was cool in my book.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TerminusEst13 posted:

If memory serves correctly, it's also one of the few the positive reviews of a game on the site!

RETRO GOTY 2013

EDIT: Well no wait just checked again and suddenly there's a lot more positive reviews than I remembered. What the heelllllllll

Well way back then I think they had all of the gaming related reviews in the same category. You also might be thinking of the Cranky Steve section that reviewed levels and maps for various FPSes, where almost all of them were crappy and had very low scores. It's pretty great.

http://www.somethingawful.com/hosted/cranky/index.php

Only problem is they still haven't fixed the links from the thumbnailed images to the full size screenshots. At least you can go on archive.org to get to them.

Here's images from the review of the map "Downtown" for Quake II:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I know exactly what you're talking about, but it's difficult to articulate why the game gives off this weird, depressing vibe. I got the same feeling from a completely different game, though: "Deathtrap Dungeon". Maybe it's the weird, dreamlike circus theme that both games have.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've played the demo of Psycho Circus a lot, and I enjoyed it. Remember, it used the Lithtech engine. I like the Lithtech engine, but the early versions were, as I've noted, held together with chewed bubblegum, Elmer's Glue and paperclips. Somehow, the demo never crashed on me, which is amazing considering how crash-prone Blood 2 is (I think I might have gotten that fixed? Almost every time I think that I fixed it it starts its crashing routine again).

I still regret not getting it when I saw it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

catlord posted:

I still regret not getting it when I saw it.

The internet is amazing for getting rid of this feeling. Last time I had that was Gunman Chronicles. 5 dollars to Amazon, and it was at my door two days later.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

The internet is amazing for getting rid of this feeling. Last time I had that was Gunman Chronicles. 5 dollars to Amazon, and it was at my door two days later.

Yeah, but $2.50 for a big-box copy? Ah well. Like you said, it's cheap enough on Amazon or whatever. Shame it's a licensed title, it'd look nice on my GOG shelf next to Blood 2.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

catlord posted:

Yeah, but $2.50 for a big-box copy? Ah well. Like you said, it's cheap enough on Amazon or whatever. Shame it's a licensed title, it'd look nice on my GOG shelf next to Blood 2.

Is it $2.50 for a big box copy? Goddamn I'm getting one.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

When I was a kid I wanted a VR headset so I could feel like I was in Doom.

Today, with this and the Rift, that childhood dream has finally happened. The low resolution of the Rift doesn't even hurt it since it was designed for extremely low resolutions in the first place.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SavageMessiah posted:

Conversely, Brutal Doom has made me ballsier most of the time because a double shotty at point blank range can one-shot so many things it behooves me to get up in their faces now now now :getin:. In normal doom if I run into some revenants I run and take cover, in brutal doom I charge into the middle, kill 1 or 2, THEN take cover.

Epic II did that to me. There's a level that starts with like a whole battalion of revenants surrounding a pyramid or something. Well, I used to be a coward against revenants. I'd jump for cover as soon as they fired their missiles (they're homing, you can't dodge them OMG PLZ CRASH IN A WALL). There, I saw the mess of skeletons and thought "what the gently caress, I'd take forever savescumming my way through them, let's just go gun blazing and see what happens instead" and I did and it was awesome and I felt like a champ just pwning all these lousy piles of bones. Charge them with the SSG, evade the missiles, circle-strafe around the mob, fire a rocket in a compact group, and every once in a while just maneuver to put a Baron in between yourself and the consolidated mega-missile following you.

It was fun and I didn't get hit by any single revenant missile this battle. Revenants aren't scary anymore.

Seriously, they're gimps. Two close-quarter blasts with the SSG, and they're down for the count. After getting hit, they'll try to retaliate (once) with a missile regardless of distance, but otherwise if you're close enough they'll want to punch you, so you can dance around them, staying ever too far for melee but too close for missile, and they'll never attempt to attack. Finally, you can always manage to use their missiles against a baron or cyberdemon or even just the odd imp or two. What do you call an enemy that won't attack you but that'll help you kill the other enemies? An ally, that's right! The revenant is your friend.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is it $2.50 for a big box copy? Goddamn I'm getting one.

It was at a thrift store in California. Two big box copies of the game two years ago. When I got a chance to go back there a year later they were gone. Not too surprising, I suppose, but they still had that copy of one of those Duke3D map compilation discs. Nuke It? One of those.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

catlord posted:

It was at a thrift store in California. Two big box copies of the game two years ago. When I got a chance to go back there a year later they were gone. Not too surprising, I suppose, but they still had that copy of one of those Duke3D map compilation discs. Nuke It? One of those.

:negative: Its 20 bucks on Amazon.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Gunman Chronicles is the other game I want to do a writeup on. I still have my boxed copy, I played through a good half of it when I moved house a few months back and had no internet. It's an odd duck but really ahead of its time on the weapon front and the storyline has an interesting political subtext to it.

edit: I played the demo of psycho circus way back when and I don't remember it being so god drat depressing. like seriously its just supernaturally sad its like the end of a night out where you're drunk and tired but don't want everyone else to go home.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

:negative: Its 20 bucks on Amazon.

It occurs to me that your user name might be accurate to your location. Did you try third-party sellers? At least on the American site it's $23.79 from Amazon, but at the moment there's a brand new copy from a third party for $9.95 plus $3.99 shipping. (We're talking Psycho Circus, not Nike It, right?)

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

catlord posted:

It occurs to me that your user name might be accurate to your location. Did you try third-party sellers? At least on the American site it's $23.79 from Amazon, but at the moment there's a brand new copy from a third party for $9.95 plus $3.99 shipping. (We're talking Psycho Circus, not Nike It, right?)

My username is not, I'm in the US Midwest. I just quickly amazoned it and looked at the first result. If it is 10 bucks then I'm getting a copy.

Gunman Chronicles is the other game I want to do a writeup on. I still have my boxed copy, I played through a good half of it when I moved house a few months back and had no internet. It's an odd duck but really ahead of its time on the weapon front and the storyline has an interesting political subtext to it.

I really like Gunman Chronicles. Its so wierd and out there in a good way.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 16, 2013

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I remember it got really hyped up by the magazines over here in the UK and then it got good reviews when it came out, but apparently it wasn't a very big success?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I remember it got really hyped up by the magazines over here in the UK and then it got good reviews when it came out, but apparently it wasn't a very big success?

No it tanked hard. Rewolf (the developer) closed soon after and survives as a team that now moves in a pattern I can only describe as avoiding criminal prosecution. (Utah -> Netherlands -> Malaysia -> ???)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

No it tanked hard. Rewolf (the developer) closed soon after and survives as a team that now moves in a pattern I can only describe as avoiding criminal prosecution. (Utah -> Netherlands -> Malaysia -> ???)

Wait, what? I remember the ads for Gunman Chronicles, I remember the big thing was using Goldsrc, and I seem to remember it getting decent, if not amazing reviews.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Yeah, I vaguely remember the game getting pretty hyped in various magazines as "more of the stuff that made Half-Life great". Plus, those screenshots of this dinosaur:

Looked really great for 1999-2000. Personally, I remember enjoying the game, although it's been probably 10 years since I touched it. If it's any consolation, the game actually is pretty novel (on paper). You've got an 1800's-Western-aesthetic-meets-deep-space thing going on, relatively complex and modifiable weapons, a whole slew of strange enemies and environments, and some free-movement vehicle sections.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 17, 2013

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Cat Mattress posted:

Epic II did that to me. There's a level that starts with like a whole battalion of revenants surrounding a pyramid or something. Well, I used to be a coward against revenants. I'd jump for cover as soon as they fired their missiles (they're homing, you can't dodge them OMG PLZ CRASH IN A WALL). There, I saw the mess of skeletons and thought "what the gently caress, I'd take forever savescumming my way through them, let's just go gun blazing and see what happens instead" and I did and it was awesome and I felt like a champ just pwning all these lousy piles of bones. Charge them with the SSG, evade the missiles, circle-strafe around the mob, fire a rocket in a compact group, and every once in a while just maneuver to put a Baron in between yourself and the consolidated mega-missile following you.

It was fun and I didn't get hit by any single revenant missile this battle. Revenants aren't scary anymore.

Seriously, they're gimps. Two close-quarter blasts with the SSG, and they're down for the count. After getting hit, they'll try to retaliate (once) with a missile regardless of distance, but otherwise if you're close enough they'll want to punch you, so you can dance around them, staying ever too far for melee but too close for missile, and they'll never attempt to attack. Finally, you can always manage to use their missiles against a baron or cyberdemon or even just the odd imp or two. What do you call an enemy that won't attack you but that'll help you kill the other enemies? An ally, that's right! The revenant is your friend.

I wonder if everybody has a story where they get over their fear of a doom monster. I got over my fear of arch viles because of the first map of UTNT where you have to fight 2 of them while locked in a library with only the SSG.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Playing with pistol start really forces you to get creative too. For example, I had no idea how many enemies you can safely take-down with the chainsaw. It's really great if you need to conserve ammo.

I've had a lot of fun with Brutal Doom, but I ended up really missing the "clean" balance vanilla doom gives you.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Archviles still terrify me. My general plan for them is to switch to at least the rocket launcher, ideally the BFG, and murder the gently caress out of them.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Yeah I usually end up shooting 3-4 more rockets than necessary when dealing with archviles

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wrack, the classic-y FPS by the original developer of Skulltag, has been Greenlit for a Steam release.

Also greenlit: Fortress Forever, a fan remake of Team Fortress Classic on the Source engine.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 17, 2013

Crazy Legs
Nov 6, 2010
One thing I like to do is use the Ketchup wad that adds the Brutal Doom blood effects to vanilla Doom. You get to keep that same balance from the original Doom and have the same satisfaction that comes from Brutal Doom's insane amount of blood. For me, 90% of the satisfaction from Brutal Doom comes from it's cosmetic effects like the blood, smoothed out weapon animations, and new sounds.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Crazy Legs posted:

One thing I like to do is use the Ketchup wad that adds the Brutal Doom blood effects to vanilla Doom. You get to keep that same balance from the original Doom and have the same satisfaction that comes from Brutal Doom's insane amount of blood. For me, 90% of the satisfaction from Brutal Doom comes from it's cosmetic effects like the blood, smoothed out weapon animations, and new sounds.

Can you link to this wad, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Crazy Legs posted:

This is great, I thought only BD Lite was available.