Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do the A7s offer automatic crop mode for APSC NEX lens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

whatever7 posted:

Do the A7s offer automatic crop mode for APSC NEX lens?

Yes, 10mp on the A7 and 16mp on the A7r is what I've read elsewhere. There are also 2 a Mount adapters, one with the SLT like the LA-EA2 on the NEX has and one with AF motor/screw drive for legacy Sony/Minolta glass, so you can getcha beercan on.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I think that anyone who buys into the Sony full-frame system will be sorely disappointed at the lens selection, even a year from release.

And by the time their lens selection is up to snuff, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji will be all over the FF mirrorless market with an even larger lens selection than Sony, in spite of coming to market 6+ months after Sony did.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

bobfather posted:

I think that anyone who buys into the Sony full-frame system will be sorely disappointed at the lens selection, even a year from release.

And by the time their lens selection is up to snuff, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji will be all over the FF mirrorless market with an even larger lens selection than Sony, in spite of coming to market 6+ months after Sony did.

I think they said Sony was aiming to have 10 lenses by the end of 2014.

Yeah, because Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji have any full frame sensors or lenses already.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Hey, I'd be pleased as punch if Sony did this one right.

The problem is they have proven time and time again that they can't get compelling lenses to market for their camera systems that are reasonably priced.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Fuji has said their lenses will already cover full frame, with the possible exception of the 14mm in the corners.

If Sony have 10 lenses ready by the end of next year, that would be great. I fear 6 of them will be slow zooms.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think these 2 camera will steal users from Olympus the most.
Weather proof, fake prism, giant grips etc. The philosophy are so similar.

Also the ones being screwed the most are not RX1 owners, but the E24 owners. That lens is just so useless in the new Sony high end lineup.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

whatever7 posted:

Also the ones being screwed the most are not RX1 owners, but the E24 owners. That lens is just so useless in the new Sony high end lineup.

Yes because FAKE PRISM is the key design philosophy of the om-d and a7. Yup.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Will the new e-mount full frame lenses work on the old apc-c NEX cameras? NEX-6 for example. I'm no expert on cameras. If it works, how does it work?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dzarc posted:

Will the new e-mount full frame lenses work on the old apc-c NEX cameras? NEX-6 for example. I'm no expert on cameras. If it works, how does it work?

Very probably, yes.

The way it will work is you mount the FF lens on the crop body and everything stays the same. A 50mm full frame lens will act exactly like a 50mm crop lens. Any 50mm lens on a crop body will have the same field of view as a 75mm lens on a full frame body.

Worst-case Sony puts out an adapter that goes from FF-NEX to crop-NEX. I think it's really unlikely Sony would create artificial barriers between their FF and crop lineups, they want to make that transition as easy as possible.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 16, 2013

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
That's great. Thanks. I was going to hunt down the old Zeiss prime lense but I figure getting one of these new ones will be more future-proof in case I switch to the a7.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thinking about getting the Voigtlander 35mm/1.4 for the A7, I found a couple used ones on local craigslist for $400. Anyone here used this lens?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543261-REG/Voigtlander_BA243B_Nokton_Classic_35mm_f_1_4.html

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Not that I've decided either way, but kind of irked at the lack of a kit lens option on the A7r too, I don't want to pay $500 for it separately.

Not to sound snarky but why would you want a poo poo f3.5/5.6 kit lens on an a7r?

keyframe fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 16, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Yes because FAKE PRISM is the key design philosophy of the om-d and a7. Yup.

There is also emphasis on video by both Sony and Panasonic and stuff like that.

I have heard many 43 users said that there is not enough IQ difference between 4/3 and APSC, "only FF can show noticeable difference". Not on this forum but in other forums.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

whatever7 posted:

I have heard many 43 users said that there is not enough IQ difference between 4/3 and APSC, "only FF can show noticeable difference". Not on this forum but in other forums.

Pentaxforums thinks the same about full frame. It's rationalizing.

It's funny how everyone's imagination stops at full frame. Scientists have theorized that larger formats may be possible, but have been unable to conclusively prove their existence...

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Haha, tell that to Canon, the current rumour mill has them really looking at investing in medium and/or large format digital cameras.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

ManiacMatt posted:

Haha, tell that to Canon, the current rumour mill has them really looking at investing in medium and/or large format digital cameras.

Tell Pentax, Leica, Hasselblad and Mamiya since they all currently make medium format digital cameras.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

RustedChrome posted:

Tell Pentax, Leica, Hasselblad and Mamiya since they all currently make medium format digital cameras.

What is really the benefit for 99% of users of full frame or larger? Light sensitivity from a larger sensor? More FOV? I mean how often do you actually print something out or view on a large enough display to notice any difference?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cru Jones posted:

What is really the benefit for 99% of users of full frame or larger? Light sensitivity from a larger sensor? More FOV? I mean how often do you actually print something out or view on a large enough display to notice any difference?

There is a balance between sensor size and camera size/weight.

I think for system camera you can make an argument that the sensor size should start with at lease 4/3 or APSC. If you take a look at the Nikon 1 system. Making the sensor smaller won't make your body smaller anymore. You just lose IQ for nothing.

Oh the other hand, there is a limit on how big a sensor can be before its too big for the consumer market. I think setting the limit at 35mm full frame makes perfect sense. We are getting to the point that the cost of a FF sensor is no longer the dominate factor in the cost of a camera system. Now camera lens last forever, and frankly most of them haven't improve upon the optical design in decades. There are still a tons of FF used lens you can use. Setting the sensor at 36x24 will let you make the most use out of current lens on the market.

As a matter of fact Nikon and Canon have never committed to APSC system. Most of their best lens are still designed for the FF sensor.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Some really nice pictures taken with the A7 and the 35mm / 55mm lenses here:

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7r-field-test/

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

keyframe posted:

Not to sound snarky but why would you want a poo poo f3.5/5.6 kit lens on an a7r?

Travel would be one of my main uses for the camera, and I find a zoom in the standard range indispensable for that. I'd eventually pony up for the Zeiss zoom, but having something to use in the interim would be kinda necessary. I'm also more about getting the photo than I am absolute optical perfection; I'm one of those crazy people that has no real problem with the 16mm prime (although since I got the 18-55 it's mostly sat unused).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

keyframe posted:

Some really nice pictures taken with the A7 and the 35mm / 55mm lenses here:

http://briansmith.com/sony-a7r-field-test/

Holy poo poo that 100% crop...

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Travel would be one of my main uses for the camera, and I find a zoom in the standard range indispensable for that. I'd eventually pony up for the Zeiss zoom, but having something to use in the interim would be kinda necessary. I'm also more about getting the photo than I am absolute optical perfection; I'm one of those crazy people that has no real problem with the 16mm prime (although since I got the 18-55 it's mostly sat unused).

Or you could get the LA-EA3 or LA-EA4 adapter and grab a better, faster, and cheaper A-mount lens like the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. The LA-EA4 will give you phase-detection autofocus much like the LA-EA2 while the LA-EA3 doesn't have the semi-translucent mirror like the LA-EA1. However, you lose out on image stabilization and increased size and weight compared to the native lenses. Still, the combined cost of the a7R and LA-EA4 comes out to a little less than the A99 while being smaller and lighter.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Before this was announced, I was planning to upgrade to the EM1 from my EM5 someday but now it looks like I will just upgrade to the A7 instead. Or maybe the A9 that I expect they will announce in a year or two down the road as usual.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Went to the sony store to preorder today and they are not yet taking preorders in Canada. Did my best Liam Neeson in Taken impression to make sure they call me before anyone else or else.. :colbert:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

keyframe posted:

Went to the sony store to preorder today and they are not yet taking preorders in Canada. Did my best Liam Neeson in Taken impression to make sure they call me before anyone else or else.. :colbert:

Vistek is taking them.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

Fuji has said their lenses will already cover full frame, with the possible exception of the 14mm in the corners.

Do you have a source for this? The last I heard was that it wouldn't work.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea none of the fuji lenses are full frame, and they have gone on record saying they are not interested in doing an FF camera as a result. I don't see Olympus doing one either considering they are completely focused on the m4/3 market.

Sony is pretty much the only name if you want a compact FF camera (yes I know Leica exists too).

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

RustedChrome posted:

If Sony have 10 lenses ready by the end of next year, that would be great. I fear 6 of them will be slow zooms.

Fuji backtracked on that statement almost immediately.

I'm more dubious of the average price of the future Sony lenses than the selection. If they can produce a wide f/4 zoom and an 85mm 1.8 (supposedly what's next) and a decent 100mm macro in the next 12 months, they'll be in great shape. They won't have the prime selection of the X-series, but they'll have their bases covered well enough. If all the lenses are 1K+ though, that'll be a much bigger limit to adoption. Adapting lenses is great an all, but there's a ton of considerations when adapting to the kind of demanding sensor you'll find on the A7r.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fuji and Sony are in the same Zaibatsu. I am sure Fuji can get a FF sensor from Sony eventually for FF X100 if they want to.

The XF mount is more of a problem. Its inner diameter is slightly narrower than E mount but not by much. Worst case scenario you can do a smaller 1.1x "Full Frame". Changing mount would be a foolish thing for Fuji to do.

I can see myself getting a FF X100 eventually. I don't see myself upgrading most of my lens to FF even if Fuji make one 3 years down the road. The thing about a good FF telephotos lens is even for a f/4 tel-zoom it has crossed the line of what I would call enjoyable recreational hobby shooting.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
If you are not adverse to shooting manual focus there are some amazing lenses you can put on the A7 without breaking the bank. I was looking at some Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses at the photo store and goddamn the build quality and feel of those lenses is like sex.

Thinking about getting this guy with my A7:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/637538-REG/Voigtlander_BA247A_Voigtlander_Nokton_50mm_f_1_1.html

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

I have that 1.1 Nockton. It's a great lens but it's built like, and weighs like a tank. If you don't mind your kit being front-heavy, it's a lot of fun in low light.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

RustedChrome posted:

I have that 1.1 Nockton. It's a great lens but it's built like, and weighs like a tank. If you don't mind your kit being front-heavy, it's a lot of fun in low light.

If you want something that's not so heavy, you can try the MS Optical 50/1.1 Sonnetar lens.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
/\/\ Where do you even buy that thing? I can't find it on any camera store?

RustedChrome posted:

Yea I am gonna rent it before I buy it so I can see how it feels when attached to the camera. If it is too heavy I will probably go with the Voigtlander 35/1.4 instead.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 17, 2013

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

keyframe posted:

/\/\ Where do you even buy that thing? I can't find it on any camera store?

JapanExposures seems to still have stock of it. Otherwise you can normally find 2nd hand copies floating around on RFF or Ebay.

Also, looks like Panasonic is releasing their 'version' of the 17/1.8: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/pressrelease/leica_dg_summilux_15/

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 17, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Hey, I'd be pleased as punch if Sony did this one right.

The problem is they have proven time and time again that they can't get compelling lenses to market for their camera systems that are reasonably priced.
You only need to look at nex to understand the kind of poo poo Sony gives about lens lineups.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cru Jones posted:

Better depth of field control, it's typically about a stop better on IQ versus an APS-C body of equivalent age, and it's the only way to increase megapixel counts due to diffraction limiting. The pixel pitch on 24mp APS-C sensors is getting to the point where you can only see full resolution if you're shooting at/wider than f/5.6. The easiest way to get around that is bigger sensors. The alternative is a really solid lens/sensor system that can deliver diffraction-limit resolution nearly wide open, which is tough too. I think Sigma realizes this, lately they've focused on putting out really fast lenses that deliver right from wide open (35/1.4, f/1.8 zoom, etc).

That's really the problem with M4/3 long term too. The pixel counts just can't keep going up with that small a sensor. I'm pretty sure the OM-D is diffraction limited at f/5.6 too.

Long term the megapixel counts will probably keep climbing. Yeah, current cameras are really "good enough" for most people, but what will happen is we'll start getting wasteful with pixels. I already do it with my current cameras, just grab the shot and crop after the fact if I need. There'll be pixels dedicated to stuff like phase-detect focus, or pixels will be read at different ISO sensitivities to increase the dynamic range of the image (like the Magic Lantern firmware for the Canon 5D3). Someone will rediscover stereo imaging, where you project two images at once onto the sensor, or something like that.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 17, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Fuji and Sony are in the same Zaibatsu. I am sure Fuji can get a FF sensor from Sony eventually for FF X100 if they want to.

The XF mount is more of a problem. Its inner diameter is slightly narrower than E mount but not by much. Worst case scenario you can do a smaller 1.1x "Full Frame". Changing mount would be a foolish thing for Fuji to do.

I can see myself getting a FF X100 eventually. I don't see myself upgrading most of my lens to FF even if Fuji make one 3 years down the road. The thing about a good FF telephotos lens is even for a f/4 tel-zoom it has crossed the line of what I would call enjoyable recreational hobby shooting.

What the gently caress are you even trying to say anymore. "Zaibatsu"? Really?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

What the gently caress are you even trying to say anymore. "Zaibatsu"? Really?

It's like a conglomerate.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

spankmeister posted:

It's like a conglomerate.

Its like saying "that camera is so kawaii" or something, and this sure doesn't look like the Pentax thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Mr. Despair posted:

Its like saying "that camera is so kawaii" or something, and this sure doesn't look like the Pentax thread.

The word "zaibatsu" had a meaning before Grand Theft Auto 2, you know.

Zaibatsu means "financial clique" and it's a term for a pre-WWII vertically integrated monopoly. "Keiretsu" ("grouping of enterprises") is what he means, really, because that's what they're called now. Fuji and Sony are in the same conglomerate - the Mitsui Group - so he's saying that it might be easier for them to share technology than otherwise. It has nothing to do with "kawaii" or whatever the gently caress.