Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just survived two eclipses in a row. Holy gently caress that event is a glorious shitstorm. Got a full set of eclipse beastie banners except for Eyezor, if he even has a banner.

According to the wiki he doesn't. He drops a cute eye-spring pet though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I just discovered asphalt. I am officially a race car now.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

watho posted:

I just discovered asphalt. I am officially a race car now.

"Asphalt Block" may be a reference to asphalt, a substance that cars drive on. [1]

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I managed to find a nymph in the middle of my ice biome...just kinda saw a naked girl wandering around...with an ice mermaid not hurting her so I just started poking them with my mushroom on a stick. Got the nymph banner first drop, go me?

Esposito
Apr 5, 2003

Sic transit gloria. Maybe we'll meet again someday, when the fighting stops.

padijun posted:

"Asphalt Block" may be a reference to asphalt, a substance that cars drive on. [1]

This is too obvious. I think "Asphalt Block" may be a reference to the game Speed Race, the Taito-released, Tomohiro Nishikado-designed racing game where cars raced on an asphalt track.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is that a rare drop or something? I got it from him the first time.

It's as equally likely as the other golem weapon drops but it took me four times to get the picksaw.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
How do I kill the Clothier with the voodoo doll? I can't actually attack him.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Lava's always a good idea.

Always.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Verviticus posted:

How do I kill the Clothier with the voodoo doll? I can't actually attack him.

A sword. I don't think magic and guns work on him

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
Whelp, I finally got the Ankh shield and the difference is negligible, but it was fun getting the stuff to make it. Now I'm grinding for the paladin hammer and the black belt, and at the same time getting money to reforge my gear.

God this game gets really grindy once you finish the main content, but it's so addicting you just want every boss trophy, banner, statue, and painting that has ever existed.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Goodpancakes posted:

I looked up the Nymph on the wiki because I have never heard of that mob. I swear someone has to be trolling the trivia section, they are so DUMB

This happens on every wiki. I've been tempted to create a generic version of Thanks, Bulbapedia

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Klayboxx posted:

Whelp, I finally got the Ankh shield and the difference is negligible, but it was fun getting the stuff to make it. Now I'm grinding for the paladin hammer and the black belt, and at the same time getting money to reforge my gear.

God this game gets really grindy once you finish the main content, but it's so addicting you just want every boss trophy, banner, statue, and painting that has ever existed.

It's a thing that when you have it, you don't notice it but when you take it off, you wish that you have it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Some bosses get confetti. :toot:

Some get urine. :getin:

This was a drat good day. Cutlass drop (And the first reforge is into Legendary), farmed the Wall for the Clockwork Assault Rifle, and got enough ichor and souls for the Golden Shower.

e: Also the very first mimic I ever saw, barring an unfortunate accident with a chest statue, dropped a Philosopher's Stone.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 17, 2013

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
How does the Clentaminator work? I just wasted like 200 ammo without it doing anything.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

Tarquinn posted:

How does the Clentaminator work? I just wasted like 200 ammo without it doing anything.

Spray at ground that isn't of the same biome as your solution and it should change the biome. I think the mushroom solution only works on mud.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Do Lac Beetles actually spawn? Ive been in the underground jungle with a water candle for like 30 mins trying to kill one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I've seen only one of those. Is there something special about them?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

They drop violet dye.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Verviticus posted:

They drop violet dye.

I think they are more likely pre hardmode. I got a few show up on a new easy mode jungle

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

shymog posted:

Spray at ground that isn't of the same biome as your solution and it should change the biome. I think the mushroom solution only works on mud.

All right, that might have been the problem. I was using the mushroom solution. Thanks!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've gotten a couple of the violet husks, as well as the cyan (?) and red ones (four of the red ones, in fact). The beetles can show up just about anywhere underground, but they're rather rare, unfortunately.

Speaking of dyes, I just recently discovered that squid can sometimes spawn in the ocean, and they drop ink that makes black dye. I have seen a total of one squid ever. I want more black dye so I can make cool mixed dye sets :(

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What determines the dungeon to be the dungeon biome? Can I hammer out the walls and place them in a killzone to make the mobs spawn there?

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

I've been playing this game way too much recently. Jumped into hardmode for the first time a few days ago, and I've killed all of the bosses except the Golem. I bought the Mushroom Spear as soon as I could, and everything seems kind of trivial with it - it hits really hard, and has enough knockback to keep everything except sprinting lizards away.
My armor progression went Palladium -> Mythril -> Frost Armor, and I just sort of stopped there. Not sure what set I should aim for next.

I'm just wondering at this point, what is there to do after beating the Golem? I don't have any of the dungeon chest items besides the Piranha Gun so I suppose I could farm for those.

Also, I explored the dungeon a little today and got a Wisp in a Bottle :3:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

YYZ posted:

My armor progression went Palladium -> Mythril -> Frost Armor, and I just sort of stopped there. Not sure what set I should aim for next.

I'm just wondering at this point, what is there to do after beating the Golem? I don't have any of the dungeon chest items besides the Piranha Gun so I suppose I could farm for those.

If you like melee, consider making some turtle armour so you can be an indestructible damage mirror. You could also try to farm up some insane endgame melee stuff off of Dungeon/Eclipse/pirate invasion mobs. Farm up the various status immunity items to create the Immunity To Everything accessory. Farm poo poo from the Wall of Flesh and the Golem until you can make an insane super glove accessory that lets you send enemies flying into the sun. Collect monster banners. Build a bigger castle. Now build an even bigger and better one. Get a rocket weapon, wait for an eclipse, and buy a zillion Rocket IVs off of the cyborg, then use your cratermaker to blast the loving poo poo out of any area you don't like. Grab your Clentaminator and cover the entire world in rainbows and unicorns. Change your mind and cover the world with evil. Change your mind again and use your rocket launcher to strip the surface, replace it all with a layer of mud, and turn everything into a massive jungle or a mushroom forest. Or a mix of both.

Build a giant unholy corrupted doom shrine out of flesh and bones, surrounding a demon altar. Place the Golem altar next to it. Summon all of the bosses you possibly can and fight them all at once. Alternatively, pull the lever and watch as a hail of spike balls, darts, fire, and spears descends upon them while you sit in a little vat of honey with a cross necklace, a bunch of regeneration and ironskin potions, and a ton of healing potions.

Grow tired of your omnipotence. Look upon your glorious castle with weary eyes. Take to the skies on wings of fire and look down at the world you have remade in your image. Destroy it. Destroy it all.

Create a new world. Gaze on unspoilt forests and grassy plains. Marvel at the innocence and purity. Now sweep it all away and reshape this world for your amusement. Grow bored again. Leave your world and slumber in the void.

Hear that the new update came out. Read people talking about some sort of moon boss. Rush back to your world with fire in your eyes. Yes. Yes. There is the old passion. There is the ambition you had forgotten. Yes.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 17, 2013

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
How viable is it to make a small world solely for storing valuable equipment? The theory is that I can use my character's inventory as well as piggybanks to transfer items into a 'store' world, therefore leaving more space in my 'main' one. Is this something a lot of people find useful, or would I just be wasting my time?

stradiwari
Nov 5, 2006
The Rod of Discord just won't drop for me. I build a long walkway through the underground hallow to farm chaos elementals, placed a water candle and have one on my hotbar. So far I got 2 Banners and a KO cannon, but no rod. Just how many more do I have to kill? Gah.
e: 2 dual hooks of mimics.

stradiwari fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 17, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Thanks for that. I can lack imagination sometimes with games and as I'm heading end game wards I was worried I might get bored, you've gave me some good ideas. Especially the multi boss one.

stradiwari posted:

The Rod of Discord just won't drop for me. I build a long walkway through the underground hallow to farm chaos elementals, placed a water candle and have one on my hotbar. So far I got 2 Banners and a KO cannon, but no rod. Just how many more do I have to kill? Gah.
e: 2 dual hooks of mimics.

Keep at it, it totally changes how you get around and how you find ores. I love the Rod. Can't give any advice though, I just got really lucky.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Golem tactics: two people jump around waving sword at him, last person with spectre armour and a golden shower summons the Destroyer in the next room and keeps everybody at full health through his enormous dps output.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I just started tinkering around with this last night, and I'm having a lot of fun so far - even if I'm just basically building a house. Which I discovered too late wasn't valid, because I just built it into the side of a hill. I tried to hammer out the walls of one part, but it's still saying it's not valid.

What am I missing here? :confused: Does the floor need to be stone, too?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I think it needs more lighting. If that doesn't work, try fixing that corner near the door.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011

morcant posted:

I just started tinkering around with this last night, and I'm having a lot of fun so far - even if I'm just basically building a house. Which I discovered too late wasn't valid, because I just built it into the side of a hill. I tried to hammer out the walls of one part, but it's still saying it's not valid.

What am I missing here? :confused: Does the floor need to be stone, too?

The floor can't be made from only platform blocks, there needs to be at least enough space for the the "flat surface furniture" item (the table in this case) to rest on non-platform ground and an additional solid ground block for the npc to rest on at night. So 4 non platform ground blocks in total.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Also, make sure that the stone block under the door is a block you placed yourself.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
Thanks, guys. :) I did place that stone block myself in a fit of trying to get the door put down, since the wiki was of little help. But I'll go back and replace the floor when I can... Honestly, now that I have more of an understanding what houses are - I'm carrying over a lot of Minecraft habits where I'd look for a cool cave to build a house in - I might just start over on the surface rather than spend time hollowing out that whole hillside.

But for now I'll get that small house fixed up before the drat Guide gets himself killed. :argh:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Speaking of dyes, I just recently discovered that squid can sometimes spawn in the ocean, and they drop ink that makes black dye. I have seen a total of one squid ever. I want more black dye so I can make cool mixed dye sets :(

Squids pop us pretty frequently if you hang around the ocean for a bit, in my experience. Now those stupid snails that drop purple dye on the other hand...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

morcant posted:

Thanks, guys. :) I did place that stone block myself in a fit of trying to get the door put down, since the wiki was of little help. But I'll go back and replace the floor when I can... Honestly, now that I have more of an understanding what houses are - I'm carrying over a lot of Minecraft habits where I'd look for a cool cave to build a house in - I might just start over on the surface rather than spend time hollowing out that whole hillside.

Nah, building sweet hobbit holes in a hillside is awesome. This is what my girlfriend and I have cobbled together on our multiplayer server (or at least an older version of it, we've got a few more rooms now):

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Grow tired of your omnipotence. Look upon your glorious castle with weary eyes. Take to the skies on wings of fire and look down at the world you have remade in your image. Destroy it. Destroy it all.

Funny you mentioned that, because I did something like this back before the 1.2 update. There is something cathartic about blowing up your old hideout.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Joshlemagne posted:

Squids pop us pretty frequently if you hang around the ocean for a bit, in my experience. Now those stupid snails that drop purple dye on the other hand...

Battle potions you guys. I was trying to get the pirate map and got way too much ink/mucus.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Zero Star posted:

How viable is it to make a small world solely for storing valuable equipment? The theory is that I can use my character's inventory as well as piggybanks to transfer items into a 'store' world, therefore leaving more space in my 'main' one. Is this something a lot of people find useful, or would I just be wasting my time?

Why would you, unless the main world is a server and you're worried about people ganking your stuff? You're going to find dozens of chests just from exploration, and making a plain wooden chest is only 8 wood + 2 iron bars (or a barrel for 9 wood + 1 iron bar) if you need more. It's going to much more of a hassle to have to switch back and forth every time you forget to get that one decorative block or didn't grab quite enough blocks to finish up a building project. There's not any limit to how many items/blocks you can store in a world if that's what you're worried about.

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

This is awesome, thank you. I'll get started on making the turtle armor since I've already found a couple shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Zero Star posted:

The way I'm playing, which is kind of like this, is I'm keeping my main world and main base on Normal Mode, because I want to keep building and decorating in relative peace, and keep the majority of my loot in one centralized area. Then I'm spawning additional worlds to do different things like farm Wall of Flesh, explore hardmode stuff, etc. but only building one room outposts on those worlds. It's a bit of metagaming that I'm finding pretty fun.

• Locked thread