Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've realized why the XP share is so nuts: I've also wonder-traded or GTS'd a lot of my guys, and I tend to do so at midnight which is perfect for getting other countries' pokemon. That's 75% bonus XP so if my frontliner's some guy I caught myself they're getting 87.5% of the XP that that guy earns. No wonder I never catch up enough to switch to someone else being the lowbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I really want to use a Fairy on my team. Should I go with Flowbebe, Sylveon, Gardevoir, or Azumarrill (Huge Power, naturally)? I started with Chespin, but so far the flower pixie has gotten better grass moves than her.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Geostomp posted:

I really want to use a Fairy on my team. Should I go with Flowbebe, Sylveon, Gardevoir, or Azumarrill (Huge Power, naturally)?

Togekiss. :colbert:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I really want to use a Fairy on my team. Should I go with Flowbebe, Sylveon, Gardevoir, or Azumarrill (Huge Power, naturally)? I started with Chespin, but so far the flower pixie has gotten better grass moves than her.

I have tons of Marills with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet in my PC if you want one? Dude doesn't get a physical Fairy move until way later, though.

Terper fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 17, 2013

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Terper posted:

I have tons of Marills with Belly Drum and Aqua Jet in my PC if you want one?

I already have all the pokemon I described. I'm just wondering which to use. I'm leaning towards Gardevoir because she can take out Poison types, but Flowbebe's line intrigues me. Azumarrill's been doing surprisingly well. Better than Squirtle has been.

On an unrelated note, is Helioptile supposed to be as durable as wet tissue or does mine just suck?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I used both Gardevoir and Azumarill myself. Really all of them are good. Go with the one that's cutest in Pokemon-Amie.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Perfecting the restaurants is about the most irritating thing. I could wipe the floor with these guys in well under 6 turns, so I have to stall, but if I stall then on the sixth turn the assholes will always pull out some poo poo like Protect. They're also basically set up to be as annoying as possible with poo poo like Air Slash.

It seems like pure luck whether you can actually meet the turn requirement and you have to do it four times in a goddamn row to get the star next to the course. I know Nintendo likes its cheaty trolling Battle Whatever poo poo, but this is just irritating. It's presented like it's a puzzle but it seems to just be random whether you're permitted to succeed or not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Beat the elite 4 last night. Greninja was over level 80, Syelveon and Aegislash were over 70, Xernias over level 60, and Charizard/Tyrantrum were both level 59.

Elite 4 was definitely not hard at all but the Champion actually gave me a bit of trouble torwards the end since my pokemon were to her (Greninja specifically). EXP share basically made my Greninja into a killing machine while I alternated the rest of my Mons throughout the game.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Geostomp posted:

They all have their advantages. Of the pure Fairy-types, Flabebe's final evolution has slightly better stats than Sylveon, but Sylveon learns better moves at lower levels -- Floette is stuck with Fairy Wind as its only Fairy-type damaging move until level 46, and of course it stops learning new moves entirely once you evolve it into Florges. Azumarill's in the weird position of being a Fairy-type physical attacker in a game with exactly one Fairy-type physical attacking move, which it doesn't learn until level 50; it can do okay with its other moves until then, though. Gardevoir has decent stats, probably the widest movepool of the four, and a secondary Psychic typing that can either help or hurt it depending on what you're up against.

Nakar posted:

Perfecting the restaurants is about the most irritating thing. I could wipe the floor with these guys in well under 6 turns, so I have to stall, but if I stall then on the sixth turn the assholes will always pull out some poo poo like Protect. They're also basically set up to be as annoying as possible with poo poo like Air Slash.

It seems like pure luck whether you can actually meet the turn requirement and you have to do it four times in a goddamn row to get the star next to the course. I know Nintendo likes its cheaty trolling Battle Whatever poo poo, but this is just irritating. It's presented like it's a puzzle but it seems to just be random whether you're permitted to succeed or not.

It seems like they pretty much expect you to bring in a team that can do something like put the last mon to sleep on the previous turn so they can't use Protect, or else use Feint to hit through it. I can't really be bothered shuffling my team around just to deal with a minor optional challenge, though.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 17, 2013

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

So many people are using the legendaries. I didn't realize so many goons are in fifth grade :colbert:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I got a Modest Yveltal, named him Y So Serious, and use him all the time and I don't give one single gently caress what anybody thinks about that. He's probably my favorite legendary since the Gen II dogs.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Geostomp posted:

Mawile. :colbert:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

So many people are using the legendaries. I didn't realize so many goons are in fifth grade :colbert:

drat straight. I'll be impressed when you guys are winning with early-route box fodder like Dunsparce or Bibarel.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

My Doublade has his attack and defense both trained so high that he might as well be legendary :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slate Action posted:

I got a Modest Yveltal, named him Y So Serious, and use him all the time and I don't give one single gently caress what anybody thinks about that. He's probably my favorite legendary since the Gen II dogs.

I named my Mewtwo "Pinky" :v:.

Narf.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Does an Everstone prevent DW abilities from being passed down? My male Torchic has Speed Boost but the baby mama has the Everstone and I don't seem to be getting any Torchics with Speed Boost. :saddowns:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

If you're going Steel/Fairy you gotta go with Klefki. Kill dragons with a keyring!

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Thuryl posted:

It seems like they pretty much expect you to bring in a team that can do something like put the last mon to sleep on the previous turn so they can't use Protect, or else use Feint to hit through it. I can't really be bothered shuffling my team around just to deal with a minor optional challenge, though.
I should grab a Scizor and teach it Feint and False Swipe to use as a Mega-Capturer and restautant clearer. Give it Roost so it can waste turns on command. Vivillon can handle the sleep part.

But Yveltal sucks. Using him was actually a handicap. poo poo, Mega Gengar/Blaziken/Lucario/Gen-I-Starter is infinitely more cheap than either of Xerneas or Yveltal.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Do you like Dragons? Of course you do. Here's a picture of some people who like Dragons with their friends.

e: there's also something if Dark-types are more your thing.

Crosscontaminant fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 17, 2013

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Me either, I'd have thought we'd all outgrown the fear of looking childish.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
:staredog:
Clearly I need to catch a different Goomy from the one I just started using. I did not know they could come with Sap Sipper.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Bruceski posted:

If you're going Steel/Fairy you gotta go with Klefki. Kill dragons with a keyring!

Please, everyone knows yokai-based Pokemon are superior.

...although it wouldn't surprise me to learn there's some sort of key monster yokai out there.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Constable Lemon posted:

drat straight. I'll be impressed when you guys are winning with early-route box fodder like Dunsparce or Bibarel.

Hey hey hey. Dunsparce is awesome. You take that back!

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
I remember someone saying they've seen Spiritomb (IN THREE DEEEE!) and I was wondering if someone has a picture of it / friend safari with it in it?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

There's tons of yokai which are basically just inanimate objects come to life. Animism is about all things, animate or otherwise, having a spirit of some kind which can under certain circumstances be invoked, and Shinto is no exception. Umbrellas and shoes are two of the more traditional ones, but Japanese media happily extends it to anything else that comes to mind, hence in Pokémon we have dolls (Shuppet and Banette), keyrings (Klefki), gears (Klink line), trash (Grimer and Trubbish lines)...

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

I nicknamed my xernias: Xzibit. You got a problem with that? :colbert: (yes i am 10 years old irl)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has anyone Wonder Traded their legendaries yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

Has anyone Wonder Traded their legendaries yet?

I'm an old-school 90's Pokemon trainer. No kid one is getting ahold of my hard-earned legendaries, they can earn their own the hard way like I did :colbert:.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's interesting how few new Pokemon there actually are this generation. It's funny though, as most of them are really good in some fashion or other. Talonflame has some very interesting abilities, Vivillon is a genuinely good early-game bug, Pancham/Pangoro are fun, both of the new fossils are amazing, the new Fairies are all pretty great, a bunch of new or underrepresented type mixes have shown up and are all decent, and even the Water-types are cool (or at least intriguing).

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but my copy of Y came in last night and I can confirm that you can play the same save on multiple 3DSes, which is something I was worried about since apparently Animal Crossing locks even cartridge saves to one 3DS and I didn't want the same thing happening here. The only apparent issue is that your friends list gets reset, which makes sense since you're swapping 3DS friend lists in the transition anyway.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Nakar posted:

It's interesting how few new Pokemon there actually are this generation. It's funny though, as most of them are really good in some fashion or other. Talonflame has some very interesting abilities, Vivillon is a genuinely good early-game bug, Pancham/Pangoro are fun, both of the new fossils are amazing, the new Fairies are all pretty great, a bunch of new or underrepresented type mixes have shown up and are all decent, and even the Water-types are cool (or at least intriguing).

I'm a little confused that we got two grass/ghost types who evolve via trading, appear on the same route, and aren't version-exclusive.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

deadly_pudding posted:

My Doublade has his attack and defense both trained so high that he might as well be legendary :colbert:

Fun fact: as long as Aegislash only ever takes hits when in Shield Stance, it effectively has the same base stat total as Arceus.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

ChibiSoma posted:

Hey hey hey. Dunsparce is awesome. You take that back!

I agree. That's why I'm planning on her dealing the final blow to the Champion.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Can Stance Change be overwritten by e.g. Entrainment or Mummy? It'd be funny if Cofagrigus was itself the counter to Aegislash.

Well, to be fair, other Ghosts already are the counter to Aegislash, as Steel lost its Ghost resistance this gen so it hits Aegislash pretty hard.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nakar posted:

Can Stance Change be overwritten by e.g. Entrainment or Mummy? It'd be funny if Cofagrigus was itself the counter to Aegislash.

Well, to be fair, other Ghosts already are the counter to Aegislash, as Steel lost its Ghost resistance this gen so it hits Aegislash pretty hard.

I haven't evolved to Aegislash yet, so I can't say for certain, but I'm able to take care of most Ghost Types before they give me trouble by hitting them with Night Slash or Shadow Claw.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'd like advice on how to fill out the final spot on my team.

Frogadier
Charmeleon
Pancham
Honedge
Goomy

I had a Skiddo that is one level away from evolution, but... eehh. A base Grass Pokemon doesn't interest me, and I already have two that can't match up well against Fire.

My one requirement is that (outside of Charmeleon), my team must be made of new Pokemon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Revol posted:

Frogadier
Charmeleon
Pancham
Honedge
Goomy

I had a Skiddo that is one level away from evolution, but... eehh. A base Grass Pokemon doesn't interest me, and I already have two that can't match up well against Fire.

My one requirement is that (outside of Charmeleon), my team must be made of new Pokemon.

Get a fairy type!

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Revol posted:

Frogadier
Charmeleon
Pancham
Honedge
Goomy

A fairy like Sylveon or Florges would fill your team nicely.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Tipped the photographer 1000 for a picture in front of the elite 4 building. Beat the elite 4, go to friend safari, second poke is a shiny noibat.

Sucks that it had to be a careful nature. Gonna check the IVs on it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nakar posted:

I haven't tested it but Stance Change is probably immune to ability changing moves and abilities, similar to Multitype.

• Locked thread