Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I want to see a 4 rotor XJS that has been tin-canned down to 2400 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If only I had an extra grand to play with :allears:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4118243797.html

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I'm trying to come up with a reason not to buy this. At that price, it'd be irresponsible NOT to!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/4117504717.html

Why haven't you bought it yet?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Waiting on $cashmoney from the guy buying the Vic, story of my life. And I'm just not sure if I should buy the V12 when there's still that Biturbo for sale that ran when parked in the '90s

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Fuuuck. I would buy that jag literally today if it was anywhere near me.

E: Who wants to try to make it across the USA in a craigslist V12 Jaguar?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

revmoo posted:

I'm down.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

revmoo posted:

Take a camera with you, send video from the trip to Top Gear.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

revmoo posted:

I made it sight unseen in a molested DSM up the coast of the USA, so cross country in a V12 Jag shouldn't be a big deal.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Elephanthead posted:

If you get 4 of the 12 cylinders to work I would call it a victory!

and you'd still have more displacement then a 2nd gen Accent! :science:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

Im in. If I had vacation time, this is exactly what I need to do. Or visit Cursedshitbox and drive a questionable Range Rover across the US.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Real Gold:

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Sinestro posted:

Real Gold:

Its an NA 944...fools gold to me

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

shoopeach posted:

Its an NA 944...fools gold to me

NA 944's are actually pretty good little cars. Reliable and quite a few guys DD em. I know Motronic does, and I work with a guy who DD's a 944 NA.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

NA 944's are actually pretty good little cars. Reliable and quite a few guys DD em. I know Motronic does, and I work with a guy who DD's a 944 NA.

I've just always been partial to the turbo. For 5k you can probably pick up a decent 951.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoopeach posted:

I've just always been partial to the turbo. For 5k you can probably pick up a decent 951.

If by "pretty decent" you mean ragged out piece of trash, then yes.

Turbos in the apparent condition of that NA are $8+. And they are also like $4k away from being fun to drive on anything other than the highway (dat 80s turbo lag).

I had both and made the decision to keep and DD the NA because my trip is twisties through a rural area. If you've never driven an 80s turbolagmachine hard in that kind of environment, let me explain how it goes: enter turn and mat it. Wonder why it feels like a moped motor swap has been done. Approach apex, turbo spools, feels like you just got (gently) rear ended, cue understeer or maybe oversteer depending on how the car is set up. Back off to complete the turn. Now you have that in the back of your mind on every other turn you want to push it through.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Speaking as someone who has never driven a turbocharged car from the 80s, that seems really odd to me. Why did 80s turbo cars have such bad lag?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Speaking as someone who has never driven a turbocharged car from the 80s, that seems really odd to me. Why did 80s turbo cars have such bad lag?

Improper sizing, turbo technology has changed a lot over the years, intake manifold design, intercooler design, etc etc..

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

They weren't ALL that bad, but its like anything else in automotive technology...It comes out, and takes about 20 years before they actually figure out how it is supposed to work.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I test drove an 82 280zx turbo and when you got on the gas it was like the end of A New Hope when whatshisface is going down the Death Star trench and he's trying to line up the proton torpedo shot. "Wait for it....wait for it...wait for it..." and then it kicks in.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1544689

If this was 1/2 the price I would probably have already bought it. But I just can't justify it.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

If by "pretty decent" you mean ragged out piece of trash, then yes.

Turbos in the apparent condition of that NA are $8+. And they are also like $4k away from being fun to drive on anything other than the highway (dat 80s turbo lag).

I had both and made the decision to keep and DD the NA because my trip is twisties through a rural area. If you've never driven an 80s turbolagmachine hard in that kind of environment, let me explain how it goes: enter turn and mat it. Wonder why it feels like a moped motor swap has been done. Approach apex, turbo spools, feels like you just got (gently) rear ended, cue understeer or maybe oversteer depending on how the car is set up. Back off to complete the turn. Now you have that in the back of your mind on every other turn you want to push it through.

Having driven many 80's and 90's porsches, I for some reason seem love the turbo lag associated with them. I think it adds wonderful character. Finding a well maintained 944 is something that is priceless though, it will forever be a cheap porsche, and usually maintained as such(cue customer rant about 2-3k dollar clutch job on a 5k dollar car).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What is so hard about leaving contact information in the ad of the vehicle you are presumably trying to sell, or at least answering your emails.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sinestro posted:

Real Gold:

This is right near me. I'm wishing I had $5500 and one less Volvo right now.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/zip/4133630979.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
This is exactly what you need.

14" Removal Service. You point, we knock it over.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

:killdozer:

It must happen.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone want a hydrogenated Dodge Dakota?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No, but I want either the '63 Bug, the '64 Bug, the '71 Squareback, the '59 Volvo, the '63 Volvo, the '66 Volvo, or the '82 Dodge D50 that I've all emailed to loving get back to me

e: it's a pretty good looking truck I think

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 17, 2013

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I'd buy that in a heartbeat and I don't even want it

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

slidebite posted:

I'd buy that in a heartbeat and I don't even want it

For a second there I thought Rhyno got yet another avatar.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I don't know much about BMW but this looks pretty nice:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4103977491.html

Edit: vvvv well sheeeeeeeiiiiiit. I'm not really ready to buy another car juuuust yet, but I'd really like to hear why you'd avoid one of these, since it looks drat nice.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 17, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If I'm not mistaken "e" is a bad thing when it comes to 80s BMWs, at least that's what I seem to have picked up from AI.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

West SAAB Story posted:

For a second there I thought Rhyno got yet another avatar.

You shush!

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Q_res posted:

If I'm not mistaken "e" is a bad thing when it comes to 80s BMWs, at least that's what I seem to have picked up from AI.

"e" isn't really "bad", it just means that the car has an efficiency-tuned engine and efficiency-tuned gearing. They're still great cars, just a bit slower.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Q_res posted:

I try to avoid an "eta" engine if I can, but my god that car is in wonderful condition for its age. I believe thats an e28, but one of the bmw guys can correct me.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
An eta engine in an E30 is slow, I shudder to think of how bad it would be in a car that weighs ~500 lbs more.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

13 INCH DICK posted:

No, but I want either the '63 Bug, the '64 Bug, the '71 Squareback, the '59 Volvo, the '63 Volvo, the '66 Volvo, or the '82 Dodge D50 that I've all emailed to loving get back to me

The most scared I have ever been in my life was riding in one of these with a 4g54 Swap.

Buy it as soon as the guy calls you back.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

shoopeach posted:

I try to avoid an "eta" engine if I can, but my god that car is in wonderful condition for its age. I believe thats an e28, but one of the bmw guys can correct me.

It is an E28.

I had an E28 535is last year. It was a fun weekend cruiser and absolutely gorgeous, but by no means fast. The thought of an efficiency-tuned engine and gearing in that car sounds positively awful.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mighty Horse posted:

Buy it as soon as the guy calls you back.

This is the correct answer. I'd buy it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is the correct answer. I'd buy it right now.

He needs to buy the V12 Jag, as that would be a better thread.