Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Slashrat posted:

indeed. one of the gameplay videos featured a trooper getting customized with a fedora before going into battle

I read that as Troper. :downs:

Which Implassic mod are you guys using anyway? I'm finding, like, three million of the things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Slashrat posted:

indeed. one of the gameplay videos featured a trooper getting customized with a fedora before going into battle

Wait, are you serious?

EDIT: Speaking of mods. Are there any other website that store XCOM mods other than Nexus?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Jack Trades posted:

Wait, are you serious?

Yes. EXALT guys wear fedoras, so they added fedoras in for your characters as well.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TalonDemonKing posted:

Go to deviant art.
Type in X:Com.

http://si-fu.deviantart.com/art/XCOM-Fifi-La-Fume-001-400616885

I don't understand

edit: I'm reminded of how much I would be all over an X-com cartoon. The premise is already a saturday morning cartoon, it would just need some atmosphere and tension to capture that X-com feel. Aim it at teenagers or something.

I mean, come on, this is 100% kid's cartoon intro, and it rules for it.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 17, 2013

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why the hell did I click that? I knew beforehand that I'll regret it.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Jack Trades posted:

Why the hell did I click that? I knew beforehand that I'll regret it.

:(:hf::(

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

poptart_fairy posted:

Which Implassic mod are you guys using anyway? I'm finding, like, three million of the things.

The one linked in the op.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

misguided rage posted:

I think packs of them will still show up on the larger UFOs.

I had a scout craft of three of them and three mutons...it did not end well for my mostly-rookie team

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes. EXALT guys wear fedoras, so they added fedoras in for your characters as well.

I can't wait to outfit the whole team with them and give them nicknames like "Nice Guy" and "Friendzone" :allears:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

p.crestmont posted:

I can't wait to outfit the whole team with them and give them nicknames like "Nice Guy" and "Friendzone" :allears:
Friendzone has to be your mayhem/dangerzone heavy.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I know what my suicide rookies will be wearing.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Ravenfood posted:

Friendzone has to be your mayhem/dangerzone heavy.

I was thinking exactly that. "Nice Guy" goes on my rapid fire assault. He just wants a hug. :shobon:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Friendzone goes on the CQ Assault. COME INTO MY HUGBOX

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Is there anyway to fix the game getting stuck on the alien activity screen?

I have restarted the third slingshot mission Gangplank from the very start 3 times now. It keeps happening, and there is no way to kill the aliens that it seems to hang on.

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 17, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Who said they don't make boneheaded moves in classic?

That just happened on the first mission of my latest classic campaign.

To be honest, I thought I was gonna lose a guy at first--that sectoid charged into two separate overwatches and fired on my one health guy who was hiding behind a pillar, right in front of where my cursor is, that was destroyed instead.

Really, really odd that it moved there instead of behind the counter.

Edit: Welp, as I was alt-tabbing to post that, I was hit by this odd bug.

I tried to fix it in graphics options, but that just made the hud move even more off screen.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 17, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Benagain posted:

Friendzone goes on the CQ Assault. COME INTO MY HUGBOX

If we can rename SHIVs in the expansion, I'm calling my first one HUGBOX and giving him all the close range mods.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is it possible to stun outsiders (the crystal dudes in UFOs)? I swear I could the last time I played, but my assault missed both times with a 70%, then 90% chance.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Kingtheninja posted:

Is it possible to stun outsiders (the crystal dudes in UFOs)? I swear I could the last time I played, but my assault missed both times with a 70%, then 90% chance.

Yes, considering it's required to progress in the story.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

If you can't stun them, the little blue stun circle never comes up. And yeah, that's going to happen. And missing twice like that isn't at all uncommon, considering how many times you're checking that RNG.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Given the number of times you check the RNG for your own attacks in a typical playthrough, a straight up 3% chance to miss on 2 shots should go tits up 5 times or more over the course of the average campaign.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

amanasleep posted:

Given the number of times you check the RNG for your own attacks in a typical playthrough, a straight up 3% chance to miss on 2 shots should go tits up 5 times or more over the course of the average campaign.

Yeah. I've missed back to back point blank 97% and 99% shots before. It happens. As mentioned, given the massive volume of shots you're taking over a campaign, it will probably happen many times.
Fortunately, the gunslinger sniper I left for last had 100%. Always keep a backup plan :)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
OK, I just lost my Diablo 3 Hardcore character at level 60. Did nothing but laugh about it, so with that in mind I now feel confident tackling Classic difficulty without putting money aside for a new keyboard. Perhaps I'll luck out and get a starter map with lots of co-

gently caress

e; Haha, false alarm actually. Moved two guys forward up to the benches and telling them to hunker down, occasionally poking one of the girls to the end of the truck so she could see what the Sectoids were up to - namely, buffing one another and trying to find me as well. My guys managed to get near the full cover at the statue and toss a grenade over, nailing all three at once.

Beaglerush's videos really stuck with me. :psyduck:

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 17, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Yeah, that van is a good hold out if you protect your flanks.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

poptart_fairy posted:

gently caress

Sneak around the bus side (right). There's a decent amount of high cover around the outskirts. Just stay out of the center deathtrap. Grenade's trivialize early classic missions anyways.

That said, I don't think I've ever seen that map pop up as an abduction.

e: whoops, way late. Well, good on you :)

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Anyone running Windows 8.1, manage to get XCOM working?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Alright, neat. Ended up finding the second group in that bus you guys reccomended - clearly spooked by my amazing use of grenades they all abandoned the vehicle however, provoking an epic shoot-out across the central fountain. Three aliens were killed in short order due to a combination of cover destructive and well placed gunshots. :black101:

Unfortunately I did lose a Rookie because I was a bit too cautious and kept hunkering down, so didn't see all three Sectoids go into overwatch, haha. Beaglerush's advice in those videos really paid off though; I'm covering angles and got back-ups after back-ups running through my head. I didn't bother with any of that playing normal mode.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

poptart_fairy posted:

Here is the official Implassic mod download site: http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/17/
Note this mod is pretty simple, not as elaborate as The Long War mod.

Speaking of Implassic and EW, I believe it will be simple to add support for EW, as long as the resource editor still works with EW's EXE file.

The only thing holding up Implassic implementation for EW is that I have not pre-ordered the expansion. If anyone knows of a pre-order discount deal going on just post it or message me and I'll go ahead and pre-order with the discount. I don't feel like paying a release-day price.

If for some reason I do not pre-order, I may solicit the DefaultGameCore.ini from one of you guys, as I have the tools to modify it properly. Then I can release EW support without having to initially purchase the expansion.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

nnnotime posted:

Here is the official Implassic mod download site: http://xcom.nexusmods.com/mods/17/
Note this mod is pretty simple, not as elaborate as The Long War mod.

Speaking of Implassic and EW, I believe it will be simple to add support for EW, as long as the resource editor still works with EW's EXE file.

The only thing holding up Implassic implementation for EW is that I have not pre-ordered the expansion. If anyone knows of a pre-order discount deal going on just post it or message me and I'll go ahead and pre-order with the discount. I don't feel like paying a release-day price.

If for some reason I do not pre-order, I may solicit the DefaultGameCore.ini from one of you guys, as I have the tools to modify it properly. Then I can release EW support without having to initially purchase the expansion.

GMG has a 10% discount going on right now, but I think there's a discount code available for -25% there. You could always ask in the Steam thread.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Azran posted:

GMG has a 10% discount going on right now, but I think there's a discount code available for -25% there. You could always ask in the Steam thread.
Thanks, just pre-ordered. In addition to the 10% off I found an additional 20%-off GMG voucher code in this gamefaqs thread, the fifth post:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/728011-xcom-enemy-within/67462857

This 20% extra code can be applied after the 10% off and appears valid until Oct. 18th UTC (better use it quick):

quote:

20% off code good till oct 18 3pm UTC:
GMG20-7EKXF-UTQXX

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011
Oh well, I preordered at full price two days ago! No real way to cancel it from Green Man Gaming, I suppose. I thought there wouldn't be any more coupons like that would come up again!

No real regret: I'll gladly pay full price for Enemy Within, anyhow.

I second the mod suggestion, Longwar is just... not fun, I find. Speaking of which, any other mods people you people would suggest at large? Has there been any other mods that is worth mentioning? (Beside Warspace extension, I know of that one already.)

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 18, 2013

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Cosmic Afro posted:

Oh well, I preordered at full price two days ago! No real way to cancel it from Green Man Gaming, I suppose. I thought there wouldn't be any more coupons like that would come up again!
UK Law is pretty ironclad about allowing you to cancel pre-orders. I don't know if you want to go through the bother or not but if so shoot them an email.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Mortabis posted:

What surprises me is how few people managed to clear an alien crash site on classic with one soldier. Once you have someone with mind control it's not too hard, just wait for one with 5/6 enemies and away you go. I guess not that many people go for achievements but that one only took me maybe 15-20 minutes, tops.

I sent a lone assault in for that one before I even had light plasmas, and I even forgot to change out her default shotgun loadout to something in laser.

Never missed a shot, never took a hit. Walked away with 'Wildchild'. I really wish there was a cigar and sunglasses option to saddle her with.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's good to see that they are rolling with the tradition of XCOM having the most baffling multiplayer ever on the iOS version. Half my squad disappeared in my first match. Woo.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Darkhold posted:

UK Law is pretty ironclad about allowing you to cancel pre-orders. I don't know if you want to go through the bother or not but if so shoot them an email.

EU consumer protection is pretty solid too and allows cancelling pre-orders and refunds within 2 weeks of purchase for any reason, so you have two law systems backing you up.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Just from watching one trailer each, the human enemies sure look a lot like the guys from The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, with their pseudo 1950s G-Man getup.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Deltasquid posted:

EU consumer protection is pretty solid too and allows cancelling pre-orders and refunds within 2 weeks of purchase for any reason, so you have two law systems backing you up.

I wish Steam worked that way too.
I bought a 30€ game that looked great in trailers and screenshots but had no goddamn demo version.
Obviously it turned out to be a huge pile of poo poo.
I asked for a refund the same day but they just responded with a copy-paste answer.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I wish Steam worked that way too.
I bought a 30€ game that looked great in trailers and screenshots but had no goddamn demo version.
Obviously it turned out to be a huge pile of poo poo. I asked for a refund the same day but they just responded with a copy-paste answer.
If you're in the EU, steam's subscriber agreement states you can get a refund for a pre-order.
Also if your country has consumer protection laws you can slap Steam around the ears with, it can be possible to drag a refund out Steam even after the "service has commenced" (read: after the game's release date) if the game is broken and doesn't work. But you will have to push them a little.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

Darkhold posted:

Oh, is that so? I'll give it a shot. A bit late for the code, but if they are this frequent, well, I'll do it now in preparation for another one. I had no idea it (Green Man gaming) was located in the UK, and I don't think me being in Canada should change much about that law.

Thanks for the info.

Cosmic Afro fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 18, 2013

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.
Reading about the scrapped Progeny DLC makes me think someone on the dev team really likes writing characters. Vahlen, Shen and Bradley are all actually pretty well written, and the Triad guy from Slingshot is is well done too considering he's characterised entirely by 10 lines of dialogue and a unique face. It's weird to think that if the fan backlash hadn't been so definite then we'd have psychic chick Annette as another unique character, and maybe even more DLCs along the same formula of 3 missions, a character, hats.

Having a Skyranger full of non-randoms wouldn't have been very XCOM but I'd have been interested to see what other characters they would have come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

TJO posted:

Reading about the scrapped Progeny DLC makes me think someone on the dev team really likes writing characters. Vahlen, Shen and Bradley are all actually pretty well written, and the Triad guy from Slingshot is is well done too considering he's characterised entirely by 10 lines of dialogue and a unique face. It's weird to think that if the fan backlash hadn't been so definite then we'd have psychic chick Annette as another unique character, and maybe even more DLCs along the same formula of 3 missions, a character, hats.

Having a Skyranger full of non-randoms wouldn't have been very XCOM but I'd have been interested to see what other characters they would have come up with.

uh... you will anyway (provided you make the correct choices in EW), Ananda Gupta straight up said as much.

Slingshot isn't bad, but I never opt to play it because of that second mission. I don't consider the loss of half my veteran soldiers in month 2 to be a win, and everyone's like "yeah, it's not so bad, I only lost (enormous list of casualties) but I cleared the mission guys!".

There's no way in hell you can pull it off blind, put it that way (I went into my first playthrough blind, and aborted like 1/3rd of the way in to that mission).

• Locked thread