Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

pokeyman posted:

There are a few names on some blacklist that can trigger this. I think naming a property `id` is one of them.

setEffects: was the property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Glimm posted:

I don't think so, but just a style note - I'd write that as:

code:

if (highlighted)  {
        self.layer.borderColor = [UIColor orangeColor].CGColor;
        self.layer.borderWidth = 2.0f;
}
The variable 'highlighted' is a BOOL so there is no need to check it against YES/TRUE. Also it's idiomatic to use YES instead of TRUE - but they are equal.

Also, BOOL is just a typedef to char, and YES and NO are just preprocessor defines (to 1 and 0, respectively), so it's generally a good idea to check for NOT NO instead of checking for YES in case some buffoon decides to do something clever and just return the contents of an int to indicate success/failure instead of explicitly returning YES or NO.

Objective-C code:
// buried in some third party library's source code
- (BOOL)successIfThingNotFirst:(id)thing
{
	int index = 0;
	while([self contrivedExampleAtIndex:index] != thing) {
		index++;
	}

return index;
}

// in your own code
if([foo successIfThingNotFirst:someThing] == YES) {
    // this will only be executed if someThing was at index 1
}
// better
if([foo successIfThingNotFirst:someThing]) {
    // will always execute if someThing wasn't found at the first index
}

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 14, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
arm64 finally switches to typedef bool BOOL, which fixes that particular issue. You can enjoy saner semantics on all platforms by just using bool rather than BOOL.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
I don't need me none o' them C++ keywords, y'hear? :clint:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Doc Block posted:

I don't need me none o' them C++ keywords, y'hear? :clint:

typedef _Bool BOOL then :colbert:

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it looks really amazing. I didn't even expect such a thing to be possible:

http://revealapp.com

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

NoDamage posted:

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it looks really amazing. I didn't even expect such a thing to be possible:

http://revealapp.com

yeah this loving owns. you can play with your UI while its running live on your phone too, which also owns

~rapid prototyping~

its also good for coord debugging (i have a weird bug atm where a UICollectionView in a nav controller is offset by 64px if you swipe back 3 or more items in the nav heirarchy. swipe back 2 and the offsets are fine?????)

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

yeah this loving owns. you can play with your UI while its running live on your phone too, which also owns

~rapid prototyping~

its also good for coord debugging (i have a weird bug atm where a UICollectionView in a nav controller is offset by 64px if you swipe back 3 or more items in the nav heirarchy. swipe back 2 and the offsets are fine?????)

This looks awesome but why can't I find the actual framework to link into the app? I feel so dumb right now :smith:

*Edit* Yep I'm an idiot, I actually read the instructions and it says where to get it. It's in the help menu of the app.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 15, 2013

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm building a quick prototype with an iPhone app. I have a simple computer on the network. There's a slider in the app that sends its value over http to the simple computer. The naive solution of firing off a synchronous NSUrlRequest in the slider's update method quickly swamped the simple computer, the App didn't get data back on one of the hundreds of requests, dogs and cats living together, etc.

How can I rate limit sending the NSUrlRequests? I'm very new to iOS dev, please forgive the basic question. My first idea is to set up a timer, poll the slider's value at a slow (~5Hz?) rate, and only send a request out when a change is detected there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That would work. You could also cache the last time a request was sent and only send if enough time has elapsed.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Why not just wait until until the slider stops moving to send the request? Is that an option?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The timer solution ended up being very, very easy to do. It's a little jerky in practice, but at this point the demo's so cooked that one more constraint on the user (slide slow) isn't too bad.

I didn't dig too far into the slider controls. I assume there's some onUp event I could tie it to? Either way, there has to be some way to rate limit in case a user does a lot of short movements. I'm ok with the timer solution.

I literally figured out Reference Outlets in the past 30 minutes, I can't overemphasize how new to iOS I am.

The project manager requested hooks to react to SMS, but I'm gathering that couldn't be done. Did iOS7 change any of that or is it still walled off from the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JawnV6 posted:

The timer solution ended up being very, very easy to do. It's a little jerky in practice, but at this point the demo's so cooked that one more constraint on the user (slide slow) isn't too bad.

At the risk of stating the obvious: it's jerky because you're running synchronous URL connections on the main thread. The main thread is where the UI runs, so the UI can't process events until your URL connection is finished. This is easily fixable if you feel the urge, and would teach you about delegates which are very important to iOS applications.

quote:

I didn't dig too far into the slider controls. I assume there's some onUp event I could tie it to? Either way, there has to be some way to rate limit in case a user does a lot of short movements. I'm ok with the timer solution.

Check the UIKit User Interface Catalog entry on Sliders. Note the "continuous" option and that the slider sends the "value changed" event.

quote:

The project manager requested hooks to react to SMS, but I'm gathering that couldn't be done. Did iOS7 change any of that or is it still walled off from the app?

As far as I know there's no way for your app to be alerted to the presence of a new SMS message or to read the contents of an SMS message. You could do something like put a custom URL in the SMS which opens your app when tapped.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I looked into asynchronous URL's, but I'd kinda rather hang the app rather than flood the device. It's a lot easier to reboot an iOS app than dig into this stupid thing and get to the reset button. I'm not even doing anything with the response, it's just a testing web page from before I had the app. We're actually going to run a wireframe through Airplay and fake the app side too, so I'm generally off the hook for it doing anything besides function.

I did a minor rewrite that slowed the timer down to 1Hz and removed the slider update code. The value's pulled in the timer and only sends out a request if it's been changed.

The tutorial I did for my first app went through delegates, and I can see the power. I've done event-based programming on the Android side and do embedded work professionally. I keep getting tripped up on GUI hooks of Xcode. It's more my fault for not trusting a GUI to do something text should accomplish. My pre-Reference Outlet attempt to update the button's text from the slider update involved arrowing through self.* and self.view.* for a UIButton * :v:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You can change the slider to only send an update when the user stops dragging it.

Doing the networking stuff on a background thread isn't so you can send updates faster, but so that you don't hog the main thread and make the UI sluggish and/or choppy.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Doc Block posted:

You can change the slider to only send an update when the user stops dragging it.
Right, I kinda figured after multiple other posters told me. And the entire thing was obviated after the rewrite.

Doc Block posted:

Doing the networking stuff on a background thread isn't so you can send updates faster, but so that you don't hog the main thread and make the UI sluggish and/or choppy.
I want to emphasize that this really wasn't a priority. I had a client in front of me. Given a choice between what I'm looking at being non-optimal and the only demo unit in existence with my embedded code blowing up on the table, instantly transmogrifying me from an engineer into a storyteller... I'm going to have a lovely UI.

Demo worked. I was off on a bit of timing, but it turned on and whirred and beeped. After the meat of the demo I still managed to hang the firmware, but like most demo blowups I was the only one in the room to notice.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

How the hell does anyone deal with keyboards showing and hiding with an iOS 7 UITextView on screen? contentInset doesn't seem to do gently caress all. Pressing return hides the cursor behind the keyboard (more so than usual). What the gently caress.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

How the hell does anyone deal with keyboards showing and hiding with an iOS 7 UITextView on screen? contentInset doesn't seem to do gently caress all. Pressing return hides the cursor behind the keyboard (more so than usual). What the gently caress.

The elegant solution of putting your UITextView in a UIScrollView and manually animating a scroll with the text view's -textViewShouldBeginEditing and -textViewShouldEndEditing methods.

edit: oh, you're filling the whole screen, aren't you? The above is for a textView that can at least fit in the content area of the screen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lord funk posted:

The elegant solution of putting your UITextView in a UIScrollView and manually animating a scroll with the text view's -textViewShouldBeginEditing and -textViewShouldEndEditing methods.

edit: oh, you're filling the whole screen, aren't you? The above is for a textView that can at least fit in the content area of the screen.

Yeah full screen. I thought it'd be the easy case.

What batshit code did they have to write for Mail.app to have a functioning text view? That'sw hat I want to know.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

What batshit code did they have to write for Mail.app to have a functioning text view? That'sw hat I want to know.

iOS 7 Notes.app. The most complicated piece of Apple Engineering ever.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

lord funk posted:

iOS 7 Notes.app. The most complicated piece of Apple Engineering ever.

Imagine piecing that together while the Text Kit team gets it figured out. No thanks.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

pokeyman posted:

Followup:

1. contentInset works great except when you becomeFirstResponder in -viewWillAppear:, in which case your poo poo's hidden behind the keyboard. The text view obstinately animates in (e.g. when presented modally) with the text in the wrong position, so if you try to fix things by scrolling the text out from under the keyboard it looks like poo poo. Still trying to nail this one down.
2. This devforums thread is gold. A useful fix for the disappearing caret after inserting a newline at the end of the document. And a fix for caret positioning at the end of a line (keeps it at the end of the line instead of the start of the next line).

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

pokeyman posted:

2. This devforums thread is gold. A useful fix for the disappearing caret after inserting a newline at the end of the document. And a fix for caret positioning at the end of a line (keeps it at the end of the line instead of the start of the next line).
Ugh, we've been getting lots of complaints about this one:

quote:

#14972169: iOS 7 GM UITextView: Keyboard up/down arrow keys no longer work

The up/down arrow keys on the keyboard no longer work with UITextView in iOS 7 GM to change lines.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
If the phone is paired with a bluetooth audio device and I play music, does it automatically stream to it? Our MFi hasn't gone through yet so I don't have that access. But the default music player will stream to the module I'm testing. Will that still happen if I'm playing music through my app or do I need the MFi hooks?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I doubt MFi matters in your circumstance. It largely depends on how you manage your audio session. Apple's starting point for AV can point you in the right direction. Stick to the higher level frameworks whenever you can.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm confused about people starting to declare their init methods as returning instancetype because it's entirely pointless:

Clang Language Extensions posted:

To determine whether a method has an inferred related result type, the first word in the camel-case selector (e.g., “init” in “initWithObjects”) is considered, and the method will have a related result type if its return type is compatible with the type of its class and if:

• the first word is “alloc” or “new”, and the method is a class method, or
  • the first word is “autorelease”, “init”, “retain”, or “self”, and the method is an instance method.

Am I missing something? Seems to me like people just aren't reading the docs.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I see the same thing, init methods are already treated special, and they are probably doing it because they saw some library do it or in the apple docs and decided to not read about what it really is...

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

These tableview separator lines are driving me nuts. They start out the correct color, but once you start scrolling they'll just be black. I cannot find where this is going wrong. Any ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

pokeyman posted:

I'm confused about people starting to declare their init methods as returning instancetype because it's entirely pointless:

[url=http://clang.llvm.org/docs/LanguageExtensions.html#objective-c-features]

Am I missing something? Seems to me like people just aren't reading the docs.

I don't like magic based on method names. Using instancedtype is more explicit with no downside.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

lord funk posted:

These tableview separator lines are driving me nuts. They start out the correct color, but once you start scrolling they'll just be black. I cannot find where this is going wrong. Any ideas?

Since you mention scrolling, look at differences between init and your prepareForReuse?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

I don't like magic based on method names. Using instancedtype is more explicit with no downside.

I see where you're coming from but "magic based on method names" isn't going away. Explicit redundancy is confusing too. For example, it caused me to ask "why are people doing this?" instead of just going about my day.

Do you use ARC? If so, do you annotate all of your methods with the objc_method_family attribute? If not, you're relying on "magic based on method names".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Day two of pokeyman's exciting iOS 7 UITextView adventures resulted in the shoving of stuff on to GitHub. Hope someone finds it useful, and if anyone has any further fixes to contribute that'd be swell too!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I see where you're coming from but "magic based on method names" isn't going away. Explicit redundancy is confusing too. For example, it caused me to ask "why are people doing this?" instead of just going about my day.

Do you use ARC? If so, do you annotate all of your methods with the objc_method_family attribute? If not, you're relying on "magic based on method names".

The fact that that has to exist is one of the things I dislike about ARC.

I don't really see that as comparable, though. The alternative to using instancetype isn't to put no return type at all and let the compiler infer it based on the name; it's putting a return type that the compiler replaces with instancetype due to the name. Why wouldn't you just put the more accurate thing there to begin with?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

lord funk posted:

My separators will randomly disappear in iOS7 because who the gently caress knows! :argh:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

The fact that that has to exist is one of the things I dislike about ARC.

I don't really see that as comparable, though. The alternative to using instancetype isn't to put no return type at all and let the compiler infer it based on the name; it's putting a return type that the compiler replaces with instancetype due to the name. Why wouldn't you just put the more accurate thing there to begin with?

Redundancy doesn't make things "more accurate". In this case id and instancetype are exactly as accurate because the compiler is explicitly documented as interpreting them identically. You've drawn the line at acceptable redundancy over here, I've drawn it over there. That's ok.

It seems to be a matter of style, which answers my original question, so I'll leave it there. I was worried that I'd missed something about clang inferring the return type. But it seems I'm up to date.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

NoDamage posted:

Ugh, we've been getting lots of complaints about this one:
[up/down arrow keys not working in UITextView]

Not sure if you had a solution, but it looks like OUITextView has something of a fix. Maybe it'll help you.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

pokeyman posted:

Redundancy doesn't make things "more accurate". In this case id and instancetype are exactly as accurate because the compiler is explicitly documented as interpreting them identically. You've drawn the line at acceptable redundancy over here, I've drawn it over there. That's ok.

It seems to be a matter of style, which answers my original question, so I'll leave it there. I was worried that I'd missed something about clang inferring the return type. But it seems I'm up to date.

If you are going to have +(instancetype)sharedInstance or +(instancetype)buttsWithWiper or whatever, why not just be consistent? The compiler won't automatically figure those out based on magic method names.

Yes, it is technically a style thing but I prefer the code to be explicit about return types and parameters. Plus anything that may potentially make tooling / intellisense easier is a win, although Xcode doesn't bother using any of the header info it has for Quick Help on your own code so it doesn't much matter.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ender.uNF posted:

If you are going to have +(instancetype)sharedInstance or +(instancetype)buttsWithWiper or whatever, why not just be consistent? The compiler won't automatically figure those out based on magic method names.

I just think it looks dumb when it's unnecessary. Like (edit: most) semicolons in JavaScript.

(:can:)

quote:

Xcode doesn't bother using any of the header info it has for Quick Help on your own code so it doesn't much matter.

I don't know what you mean here. Xcode shows my comments in Quick Help but I dunno how that relates.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

pokeyman posted:

I just think it looks dumb when it's unnecessary. Like (edit: most) semicolons in JavaScript.

(:can:)

I don't know what you mean here. Xcode shows my comments in Quick Help but I dunno how that relates.

I can't be sure, but I'd swear I saw some of the Apple APIs using instancetype in place of id for some init methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Doc Block posted:

I can't be sure, but I'd swear I saw some of the Apple APIs using instancetype in place of id for some init methods.

I think you're right, but unfortunately the "iOS 6.1 to iOS 7.0 API diffs" page crashes both Safari and Chrome on my iPad if I get a bit too excited and try to scroll past the first couple screenfuls, or search the page for the string "instancetype".

I also remember only some frameworks doing it and not others. I don't think Foundation did. Maybe some UIKit classes did?

And while I'm here, what's the deal with contentInset vs. scrollIndicatorInsets?

Thanks folks, here all night.