Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Emalde posted:

Turn off your adblocker if you have one enabled.

No dice, and I've checked on multiple computers/ISPs now as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Whoever wrote the Pokedex entries for Y really had a thing for wrestlers. I like to think they felt inspired by Hawlucha.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
I just received the Fly HM only to learn that my flying butterfly murdermonster doesn't actually know how to fly. Any solid flying pokemon I can replace her with up to or before the 4th gym?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Zhent posted:

I just received the Fly HM only to learn that my flying butterfly murdermonster doesn't actually know how to fly. Any solid flying pokemon I can replace her with up to or before the 4th gym?

The basic bird is pretty alright, turns into the fire/flying :black101:Talonflame:black101:

Hawlucha's from around there or before isn't it? Can it learn fly? I used mine as a cut/rock smash/strength slave.

If you took charmander then charizard could work?

If you feel like grinding out an old amber you could get Aerodactyl, you even get the mega stone right away.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Mazerunner posted:

Yes moves can be relearned. There's a person in Dendemille Town who can teach you forgotten moves. Some pokemon even get access to new moves that otherwise would have been hidden. There's also a move deleter in the same building that can get rid of HM moves so you can pop cut or something onto a pokemon to get an item without worrying about loving them up.

Generally for natures you want one that boosts what a pokemon is good at and reduces something they're bad at. For example, a special sweeper like Alakazam would like either Modest (+ Sp. Attack, -Attack) or Timid (+Speed, -Attack). This means you might have to look up what a pokemon's base stats are though. There are no natures that effect HP I'm pretty sure. There are a bunch that are neutral (boost and reduce the same stat) that will get you through in-game but are pointless competitively.

Modest, Timid, Jolly and Adamant are the big ones for sweepers. I don't really know about more defensive pokemon sorry.

Generally for in-game you just want to avoid natures that reduce your primary attacking stat and/or speed, everything else is gravy.

EVs and IVs can be ignored for in-game stuff, remember the game is designed for 10 year olds so not having some perfectly bred and trained murderbeast isn't going to hold you back. Just ignore them if you don't need them!

Like the route right after that.

About natures, are promotional pokemon like the Torchic always the same nature?

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Millions posted:

DAAAAAAMN IT after doing some breeding it looks like Ampharos doesn't get Parabolic Charge. COME ON GAMEFREAK t:mad:
Parabolic Charge is worthless, it's too weak.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

I'm sorry, I hate that name so much. It's so uninspired. In a game where like 90% of the 'mons names are clever puns and refferences... Talonflame?
Am I missing something?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Zhent posted:

I used a Golurk for this- though he didn't evolve into Golurk until one or two battles after that gym, I think. Early 40s, like 43? Giant flying ghost robot is the best option though, let's be honest.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Ok, the child somehow inheriting the mothers pokeball is adding a level of sperginess that I did not ask for.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

About natures, are promotional pokemon like the Torchic always the same nature?

The Torchic's nature is random, don't know about event pokemon in general though.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I'm sure it's been asked, but this thread moves so fast, and I don't think I've seen an answer; Does this work with Ditto?

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

Kelp Plankton posted:

I used a Golurk for this- though he didn't evolve into Golurk until one or two battles after that gym, I think. Early 40s, like 43? Giant flying ghost robot is the best option though, let's be honest.

So, a ghost robot can learn to fly but a butterfly can't? Oh this game.

Thanks to both, I may go that route. For now I just grabbed a Pidgey. I have Delphox to cover all ,y fire needs so far.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Nereid posted:

1504-5712-6814

DoctorStrangelove posted:

4828 - 4204 - 9261

Reoxygenation posted:

2492-4912-3561

Manatee Cannon posted:

3110-4382-9306

jymbojones posted:

4210 5429 9598

Kooriken posted:

4897-7364-4111

Cheese Bread posted:

5069-5363-4146

Added all y'all dudes. I think I just got to the point where I can access Friend Safari, and I have no real life friends who play pokemon, so I'm interested to try it out.

FC: 1392-4742-2528

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dastardly posted:

Ok, the child somehow inheriting the mothers pokeball is adding a level of sperginess that I did not ask for.

The game has to assigned a Pokeball to the baby somehow, though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

How do IVs affect breeding at all? Is there some way to pass them down that makes catching pokes with 31 in a few of them good?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Currently checking out goon Friend Safaris, some cool Pokemon caught so far: (I think these are all goons I added back when I played Animal Crossing)

Nanashi - Ghost: Shuppet/Pumpkaboo
Flare - Steel: Metang/Bronzong/Ferroseed
Miff - Poison: Cascoon/Ariados
.TakaM - Rock: Nosepass/Magcargo
Nethilia - Electric: Electrode/Electabuzz
Gains - Normal: Minccino/Eevee/Lillipup
BearJazz - Poison: Venomoth/Cascoon
saxafrass - Fighting: Machoke/Throh
ecco - Bug: Butterfree/Volbeat

Those are ingame names, I honestly have no idea who anyone on my friends list is (My guy in game is Glenn)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I'm sorry, I hate that name so much. It's so uninspired. In a game where like 90% of the 'mons names are clever puns and refferences... Talonflame?
Am I missing something?

Yeah your pocket protector NERD *flies off on MOTHA FUCKIN TALONFLAME*

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Shortest Path posted:

How do IVs affect breeding at all? Is there some way to pass them down that makes catching pokes with 31 in a few of them good?

A baby Pokemon will inherit three of its IVs from its parents. If you have one of the parents hold an item, you can guarantee that the egg will get the IV for that item. The items are Power Weight(HP), Power Bracer(Attack), Power Belt(Defense), Power Lens(Special Attack), Power Band(Special Defense), and Power Anklet(Speed).

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes. There are guides on it so this is only a summary version. If you breed a pokemon while it holds one of the power items, then the child will inherit the stat that corresponds with the power item. So if you breed a squirtle that is holding the power anklet (iirc this is the special attack one) and that squirtle has 31 special attack IV, then the child will have 31 special attack IV. Note, if both parents hold a power item then the game will randomly choose one and will not choose both. So generally people have one parent hold a power item and the other hold an everstone so it passes down the correct nature.

There is a bit more to breeding, but these are the basics.

Edit: beaten

Lame Devil fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 17, 2013

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Macaluso posted:

Yeah your pocket protector NERD *flies off on MOTHA FUCKIN TALONFLAME*

Isn't the japanese names for the bird trio litteraly Thunder, Fire and Freeze?

Lame Devil
Mar 21, 2013

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
So how have people's experience been with the random online battling? Does everyone just use the legendaries? I am refusing to touch it until I breed a team.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Dastardly posted:

Zapdos is Thunder, while Jolteon is Thunders, I believe.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Alright guys another question, are there any move tutors who can teach Blaziken high jump kick in XY?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Klungar posted:

Zapdos is Thunder, while Jolteon is Thunders, I believe.

And Umbreon's name is literally "Blacky" :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dastardly posted:

Their English names are also just word combinations (element + Spanish number). Arctic + Uno, Zap + Dos, Molten + Tres. Pokémon names have been all over the place in regards to originality.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Am I missing something?

Sorry, every pun is terrible. Talonflame and Solrock 4 lyfe.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

JackDarko posted:

Alright guys another question, are there any move tutors who can teach Blaziken high jump kick in XY?

High Hump Kick is a level 1 move for Blaziken, so go to the Move Relearner.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Schubalts posted:

Their English names are also just word combinations (element + Spanish number). Arctic + Uno, Zap + Dos, Molten + Tres. Pokémon names have been all over the place in regards to originality.

What. How did I never notice this.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

High Hump Kick is a level 1 move for Blaziken, so go to the Move Relearner.

That sounds more like a Camerupt move to me. :v:

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Talonflame is talon + enflame. It is a pun. Just not upon first inspection.

Boomstick Quaid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 17, 2013

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Added all y'all dudes. I think I just got to the point where I can access Friend Safari, and I have no real life friends who play pokemon, so I'm interested to try it out.

FC: 1392-4742-2528

Cool. Your friend safari is Grass with Petilil, Sunkern, and Gogoat by the way.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Did I miss a certain route/area in the game or are there just not that many Ghost/Psychic Pokemon?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nutranurse posted:

What. How did I never notice this.

If it makes you feel any better I only just figured out that Deino/Zweilous/Hydreigon are the exact same joke except with german numbers.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Since the trading thread is overflowing into the main thread, I'll post my friend code here too. :)

0061-0189-8488

Just looking for more pokemon to fill up my safari- if you have eevee or tyrogue in yours then that's even better!

Also, hidden abilities in the safari do not turn on until the 3rd pokemon is in there. I had the unfortunate incident of not knowing this and spent hours looking for a solar power Charmeleon. It is nothing to do with whether if you are online or if they are online at the same time. However, the rumour that the hidden ability encounter rate of a pokemon is increased when both of you are online could be true, I have yet to test it.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Did I miss a certain route/area in the game or are there just not that many Ghost/Psychic Pokemon?

There aren't many. Haunters are in the spooky looking woods, Gothelle's are in the Pokemon Village before the 8th badge. Espurr is the psychic du jour this gen, it looks like. Pretty sure you can find Siglyph's pretty early on as well.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If it makes you feel any better I only just figured out that Deino/Zweilous/Hydreigon are the exact same joke except with german numbers.

Well... that was two years of high school and two in college wasted. I missed that too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lame Devil posted:

Yes. There are guides on it so this is only a summary version. If you breed a pokemon while it holds one of the power items, then the child will inherit the stat that corresponds with the power item. So if you breed a squirtle that is holding the power anklet (iirc this is the special attack one) and that squirtle has 31 special attack IV, then the child will have 31 special attack IV. Note, if both parents hold a power item then the game will randomly choose one and will not choose both. So generally people have one parent hold a power item and the other hold an everstone so it passes down the correct nature.

There is a bit more to breeding, but these are the basics.

Edit: beaten

Speaking of Power Anklets and whatnot can I get them from the Battle Chateau or the post game Battle Institute?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

And in return, my own mind is blown.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Speaking of Power Anklets and whatnot can I get them from the Battle Chateau or the post game Battle Institute?

They're available from the Battle Maison in the postgame, priced at 16 BP each.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

I'm disappointed of my safari zone, it's a steel-type zone filled with Magnetons and Klangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Cool. Your friend safari is Grass with Petilil, Sunkern, and Gogoat by the way.

Thanks! Yours is Ghost, with Lampent and Phantump. Sorry for giving you garbage when yours is actually pretty sweet...

• Locked thread