Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Thanatosian posted:

I honestly think pull-out bed sofas are the worst. They're less-comfortable sofas and terrible beds; I'd way rather just sleep on a straight sofa than a sofa bed.

It just depends. I've slept on sofa beds that were just as comfortable as my regular bed. But you aren't going to get that for cheap, you're only going to get that with a $2,000 high-quality piece of furniture. Which most people don't have/want so yeah most sofa beds are pretty terrible, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How feasible would it be to build a electric RV that could self-charge via solar? Something the size of a standard RV but totally electric and can have it's batteries recharged via PV panels on the roof?

I know an RV is extremely heavy, but you also have tons of room to store battery packs to power the rig in the undercarriage like a Tesla. You also have some decent roof space to put some ~300w solar panels that could recharge and RVs typically have enough parked time to stop and automatically orient the panels properly.

Is battery tech just not there yet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FCKGW posted:

How feasible would it be to build a electric RV that could self-charge via solar? Something the size of a standard RV but totally electric and can have it's batteries recharged via PV panels on the roof?

I know an RV is extremely heavy, but you also have tons of room to store battery packs to power the rig in the undercarriage like a Tesla. You also have some decent roof space to put some ~300w solar panels that could recharge and RVs typically have enough parked time to stop and automatically orient the panels properly.

People have built these, I'm pretty sure. I read about one in a Popular Mechanics a few years back, which had an auxillary diesel engine so that it could handle highway speeds but could go about 100 miles or so in a day at a low speed on all-electric. Might have been able to go faster and a bit farther if the guy hadn't had the weight of the diesel engine and fuel tank in there so more could be devoted to batteries I guess?

I think the guy who made it preferred to use the solar power to run his appliances and such without running an engine or finding a stationary electrical hookup to park next to though. Seems like that'd be the kind of thing massive amounts of solar collection and batteries would be more useful for in an RV, especially since some RV facilities will charge extortionate fees for electric service.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

FCKGW posted:

Battery tech might be there, but heavy vehicle electric engines are still pretty fledgling, and non-existent in the consumer sector (as far as I know). They make sense for things like garbage truck fleets, but RVs are already kind of a niche industry. There's probably not enough of a market to bother.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the point of snapchat?

e: Like, it's like twitter but less then twitter? I read this http://lsvp.com/2013/02/06/if-you-dont-get-why-snapchat-is-growing-so-fast-read-this/ and I still don't really get it.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Turtlicious posted:

What's the point of snapchat?

e: Like, it's like twitter but less then twitter? I read this http://lsvp.com/2013/02/06/if-you-dont-get-why-snapchat-is-growing-so-fast-read-this/ and I still don't really get it.

Sexting without a paper/picture trail.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Mesonychoteuthis posted:

A long time ago there was an LP about a hex-based World War II computer game, with the author writing stories about the individual unit actions and such. I was wondering if anyone knew what that game was? All I really remember was that it was really old, wasn't being updated, and you could play as basically any nation at the time.

I remember following a thread where someone did this with Civ 4, but that covered a lot more than just WWII. It was pretty awesome. I'd guess you're thinking about that, or someone did the same thing with a WWII hex game.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Skype Chat Log:

If skype is unselected (like im playing a game on my first monitor while skype is open on second monitor), any new chat will appear under the bottom row of text, and "off screen". I have to manually scroll down to see the new text.

Is there an option to have it so that the newest text is always shown at the bottom of the chatlog?

My goal is to play video games while keeping up with the chat conversation.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

KnifeWrench posted:

Battery tech might be there, but heavy vehicle electric engines are still pretty fledgling, and non-existent in the consumer sector (as far as I know). They make sense for things like garbage truck fleets, but RVs are already kind of a niche industry. There's probably not enough of a market to bother.

You would also need a tracking system for the panels. Panels still are not highly efficient so that's a strike.

But I see one hail storm costing you ten thousand dollars.

Build a portable bio diesel plant in the rv's shower. Then you stay green and will be treated with the pleasent smell of cheap food like products.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

In multi-camera newscasts (or other tv programs) how do the tv hosts know which camera to look at? Does the cameraman raise his hand when a switch is about to take place?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ron Don Volante posted:

In multi-camera newscasts (or other tv programs) how do the tv hosts know which camera to look at? Does the cameraman raise his hand when a switch is about to take place?

The cameras have indicator lights on them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TATPants posted:

Stop stalking your ex - problem solved.

Nothing that interesting, I just want to use the account again and can't remember the password and it apparently doesn't have an e-mail attached to it.

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

A week ago I uploaded a youtube video and today I got this PM in my inbox.

quote:

Hi HighlyUnnecessary

Hope you are well

I am contacting you from Viralvideouk.com in regards to your YouTube video - The Flying Scotsman - Perth Royal Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v305931_VUA

Viralvideouk.com viralvideouk.com/ is a licensing agency set up to help online users get the maximum monetary value for their footage. You can check us out here -

youtube.com/user/ViralVideoUK1

The arrangement that we have with other copyright owners is non-exclusive so does not interfere with your own copyright but if we do arrange a sale you receive 50% of the licensing revenue each time your clip is sold! This creates a continuous revenue stream. After our cut, on average you will make £250 - £300 every time your clip is sold.

At the moment we have a few TV Production companies, ITV, Discovery, Nat Geo, Spike TV, TruTv interested using UGC of stunts / fails / tricks / so it would be great if we could forward some of your footage for review.

Please do get in touch with any questions you have I can of course send you more details. E-mail me at andrew@viralvideouk.com.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Best regards
Andrew

I'm trying to work out if this is some sort of scam to get me to give up the rights to my video so they can claim adsense, I also received two other messages similar to this from other companies.

I have no idea how they found my video as it only has 150 views.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Highly Unnecessary posted:

A week ago I uploaded a youtube video and today I got this PM in my inbox.

I'm trying to work out if this is some sort of scam to get me to give up the rights to my video so they can claim adsense, I also received two other messages similar to this from other companies.

I have no idea how they found my video as it only has 150 views.

Yes, it's a scam. Don't do it. Just about anyone who ever uploads anything to YouTube will get these. They're automated messages and they've found your information by having a bot trawl all of YouTube, so the number of views on your video is not really relevant.

Edit: I don't mean everyone gets the same emails, but there's a similar scam for any kind of content.

EricBauman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 16, 2013

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
My apartment has a washer/dryer closet that I never use. Today I happened to open it up and apparently the water hookups have been leaking for some time, and there's a shitload of what definitely looks like black mold growing all the way down to the floor. Should I see a doctor over this? I've heard conflicting advice when it comes to how dangerous this stuff is.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

My apartment has a washer/dryer closet that I never use. Today I happened to open it up and apparently the water hookups have been leaking for some time, and there's a shitload of what definitely looks like black mold growing all the way down to the floor. Should I see a doctor over this? I've heard conflicting advice when it comes to how dangerous this stuff is.

If you feel fine then I wouldn't worry about it. A bunch of mold looks black when wet also, and there are other non-toxic varieties of mold that are black. Probably a more sensible solution would just to be get rid of it/hire somebody to do that, and then see what you can do about the leaking pipes.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

Most molds are relatively harmless. Do you have any sort of immunodeficiency? AIDS, lupus, an organ transplant, etc.? If not, it's not worth freaking out about.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

What you should call right now is the apartment manager or landlord to have them clean it up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I want to make a public Google Plus page, but I want it separate from my primary account. Are people able to see my real name and profile attached to the page? Likewise, are people in my circles able to see that I made/use the page?

EDIT: Oh, turns out a Plus profile isn't needed to have pages. Nevermind!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 16, 2013

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it possible to import a Google Calendar to another Google Calendar?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How much do artists actually make from streaming services like Google Music or Spotify? Like, if I select an album and play it all the way through, would they even make 10 cents? How much would the publisher make?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

hooah posted:

Is it possible to import a Google Calendar to another Google Calendar?

I've always just exported the calendar and then reimported it. Always worked fine. In fact if you look at the bottom of that page they give you some specific instructions about how to export if you plan on importing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

greazeball posted:

How much do artists actually make from streaming services like Google Music or Spotify? Like, if I select an album and play it all the way through, would they even make 10 cents? How much would the publisher make?
http://www.spotidj.com/spotifyroyalties.htm

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

What were the name of those mints that you'd swallow instead of chewing to get rid of bad breath that happens from burping up garlic fries or other stinky foods? I remember them being popular in the 90s/early 2000s but I don't even know if they still sell them. They came in a tiny, yellowish box...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

What were the name of those mints that you'd swallow instead of chewing to get rid of bad breath that happens from burping up garlic fries or other stinky foods? I remember them being popular in the 90s/early 2000s but I don't even know if they still sell them. They came in a tiny, yellowish box...

Breath Asure. I remember the commercials. They're out of business: http://www.knowsjack.com/insights/of-airborne-and-breath-asurethe-business-of-off-label-otc-products/
There is at least one knockoff on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mintasure
Note, these products do not work (with bonus Breath Asure material): http://www.therabreath.com/capsules-mints.html

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I watched this excellent NOVA documentary on the 2004 case where a Kansas school district tried and failed to introduce creationism to the curriculum. It's a thoroughly informative program, but it has a major gap. Before the judge even rendered his verdict, the people of Dover voted to oust the creationists from the school board. The creationists had lost the support of the people. What happened there? For what reasons did the people choose mainstream science? What swayed them?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

This is awesome but (and I apologise for being greedy) how does it compare to other streaming services? Is Google giving more or less to the artists and do the artists do better or worse if I just buy their CD in a shop or download it from iTunes/Amazon?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

This is awesome but (and I apologise for being greedy) how does it compare to other streaming services? Is Google giving more or less to the artists and do the artists do better or worse if I just buy their CD in a shop or download it from iTunes/Amazon?

I think the last thing I saw about Pandora was like an artist got as little $0.08 per 1,000 songs played.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Baron Bifford posted:

Before the judge even rendered his verdict, the people of Dover voted to oust the creationists from the school board. The creationists had lost the support of the people. What happened there? For what reasons did the people choose mainstream science? What swayed them?

Probable scenario is that most people didn't give a shot about the school board, other than the creationists, until the poo poo hit the fan and Dover became a laughingstock, at which point those people who previously weren't voting joined the recall (or whatever) effort.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Baron Bifford posted:

I watched this excellent NOVA documentary on the 2004 case where a Kansas school district tried and failed to introduce creationism to the curriculum. It's a thoroughly informative program, but it has a major gap. Before the judge even rendered his verdict, the people of Dover voted to oust the creationists from the school board. The creationists had lost the support of the people. What happened there? For what reasons did the people choose mainstream science? What swayed them?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/09/dover_school_board_booted/

quote:

All eight Dover, Pennsylvania school board members up for re-election have been booted out after introducing intelligent design to the science classroom. In their place are a number of those who campaigned against the policy.

The original school board ruled that intelligent design could be taught alongside Darwinian evolution, in science classes. A group of 11 parents decided to challenge the decision in court, on the grounds that intelligent design is merely creationism in disguise, and is therefore unconstitutional.

The trial wrapped last week, and the judge is expected to rule by January 2006 at the latest. Both sides had been expected to appeal a loss, but now the school board maybe less likely to do so.

One of the winners, Bernadette Reinking, told the New York Times: "I think voters were tired of the trial, they were tired of intelligent design, they were tired of everything that this school board brought about."

During the trial it emerged that one of the main proponents of the intelligent design policy, Mr. Bonsell, has previously tried to get creationism on to the local curriculum. Of all the candidates up for re-election, Mr. Bonsell recorded the fewest votes, the NYT reports.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
What is the most polite way to dissuade church folk from knocking on my door Saturday mornings trying to try to save my poor wretched soul and bring me into the flock? I usually politely stand there in a ratty Captain Morgan shirt and pajama pants and hear them out while my dogs bark at them through the storm door, but I'd really rather avoid the little chats all together.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

DNova posted:

The cameras have indicator lights on them.

Also, a newscast has a format and pattern to it, so they will always switch cameras before going to sports or weather, for example, so the newscaster should be ready for the switch and not have to scan all over the studio for the camera with the light on. They will also have earpieces which the director can use to talk to them to let them know what is going on.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

New Leaf posted:

What is the most polite way to dissuade church folk from knocking on my door Saturday mornings trying to try to save my poor wretched soul and bring me into the flock? I usually politely stand there in a ratty Captain Morgan shirt and pajama pants and hear them out while my dogs bark at them through the storm door, but I'd really rather avoid the little chats all together.

Don't answer the door.

Or don't wear clothes when you do answer it.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

New Leaf posted:

If you are dead set on answering the door at all, I've found the phrase "I don't want to waste your time, so I'm closing the door now" very helpful. I don't think there's any reliable feedback mechanism to keep them from coming back no matter what you do, which brings me back to "don't open the door in the first place."

Edit: get comfortable with interrupting people who interrupted your day. The playing field is level in terms of rudeness.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

New Leaf posted:

Change shirts.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

KnifeWrench posted:

If you are dead set on answering the door at all, I've found the phrase "I don't want to waste your time, so I'm closing the door now" very helpful. I don't think there's any reliable feedback mechanism to keep them from coming back no matter what you do, which brings me back to "don't open the door in the first place."

I don't have any way to see out without them seeing me. There's no peep hole on the door, and I don't want to miss out on the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol or a door to door bikini car wash or something. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, so an elderly man knocking on the door could just be a neighbor introducing themselves, and we just moved here about 5 months ago so I don't want to be labeled as the street rear end in a top hat.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I've seen people put no solicitation signs on your door. You could try that at least. If you want to be passive aggressive about it you could even add a line like, "This especially applies to religious solicitation".

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

New Leaf posted:

I don't have any way to see out without them seeing me. There's no peep hole on the door, and I don't want to miss out on the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol or a door to door bikini car wash or something. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, so an elderly man knocking on the door could just be a neighbor introducing themselves, and we just moved here about 5 months ago so I don't want to be labeled as the street rear end in a top hat.

You've got several avenues, I'm going to assume you're in America so you can just shoot them, the initial cost of a gun may seem high but the ammunition is cheap and the gun itself will retain it's value so you're not really out that much. Alternatively pretend you're mad/do a striptease/kiss them. Honestly those last 3 options bundle together pretty well a striptease and kiss are easy to pull off, for the crazy part use youtube videos like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rCzaIcN0NI.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

New Leaf posted:

Fair enough. Yeah, just interrupt them and politely say goodbye. If they keep talking, it's on them.

This also works for telemarketers, with the slight caveat that you won't have time to tell them to put you on the "do not call" list.

Maybe invest in a peephole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

New Leaf posted:

I used to be in your situation and as soon as they would start I would say "Sorry, I'm not interested" as I shut my door. After 3 weeks of this he never came back. You don't have to be rude, but the nicer you are/longer you listen to them, the more it will encourage them to keep trying.