Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Where do you get ties? I need a tie. How will people know how classy I am I I don't have a tie?

Probably why no valet would take my ride at the pier...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'm not entirely sure what I did to become a lieutenant in Awful Company, but I don't mind the promotion. AWCO 4 Lyfe :black101:

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

Reo posted:

How else do you propose to succeed at a mission where enemies can materialize behind you, kill you with one/two shots, and have laser accuracy from across the map?

I think the best solution for them to make survival enjoyable and less exploited would be to make the enemies less deadly.

I agree completely that the damage is a too high in Survival missions, but I think allowing cheese tactics to trivialize the mission is a terrible solution. I think health should be a resource you manage by using healing items or sprinting to health kits when the opportunity arises. I think you should be able to restock your food items at the beginning of each game the same way you can restock your ammo, but that they are finite until the end of the match. If I am going to die I want it to be because I played badly and ran out of options to protect myself, not because I made a small error in positioning and died before I knew what was shooting at me. At the risk of sounding cliche I think Dark Souls sets the best example for balancing difficulty without resorting to Be Perfect Or Die bullshit. Most things in Dark Souls are not capable of killing you outright, but every mistake you make adds up because your health and resources to replenish it are finite. There are very few challenges in Dark Souls that require you to play perfectly or use one single correct strategy to overcome them. Most of the co-op missions in GTAO work this way because you can approach them in many different ways and you usually do not die instantly if you get caught out, so you have time to get yourself behind cover and heal up if you need to.

Eriic fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 17, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TheRationalRedditor posted:

That solo tactic someone posted a few pages back was great. You fly there on the far end of the runway, run over by those bleachers, snipe the 2 guys guarding the far plane with one bullet, run up to the jet and C4 it, steal the jeep that's there, and drive by sticky the remaining 2 while being shot ineffectively. Very fun.

Why do you guys keep saying the "far end" of the runway? The jet with the 2 soldiers and the jeep beside it is on the NEAR end... the far end would be where the lone jet sits and there is no jeep there.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Where do you get ties? I need a tie. How will people know how classy I am I I don't have a tie?

Probably why no valet would take my ride at the pier...

I think it is "Accessories" at Suburban and maybe just "Ties" at Ponsonbys

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Eriic posted:

I agree completely that the damage is a too high in Survival missions, but I think allowing cheese tactics to trivialize the mission is a terrible solution. I think health should be a resource you manage by using healing items or sprinting to health kits when the opportunity arises. I think you should be able to restock your food items at the beginning of each game the same way you can restock your ammo, but that they are finite until the end of the match. If I am going to die I want it to be because I played badly and ran out of options to protect myself, not because I made a small error in positioning and died before I knew what was shooting at me. At the risk of sounding cliche I think Dark Souls sets the best example for balancing difficulty without resorting to Be Perfect Or Die bullshit. Most things in Dark Souls are not capable of killing you outright, but every mistake you make adds up because your health and resources to replenish it are finite. There are very few challenges in Dark Souls that require you to play perfectly or use one single correct strategy to overcome them. Most of the co-op missions in GTAO work this way because you can approach them in many different ways and you usually do not die instantly if you get caught out, so you have time to get yourself behind cover and heal up if you need to.

Well the problem is that you have to use cheese tactics to survive and they're taking away the cheese tactics without changing the reason you needed to use them. It would be great if you didn't have to camp one spot but with the way the combat mechanics work it's the best way to do it. Any survival I've been in where everybody runs around is usually doomed to failure or falls back on the one guy who set up inside of a garbage can somewhere.

Vaiyne
Sep 2, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Things online needs:

1. Heists
2. Purchasable Cargobobs
3. Hovercraft DLC
4. Stock Market

Also, I've been thinking of how missions are currently established and part of me understands why it is the way it is but part of me wishes missions were seamlessly integrated within the session you're in. Having other players helping or trying to gently caress with your objective would be awesome (and also the reason this will never happen) or just spectating and betting on a race other people are driving on then angrily sticky bombing the leader when you're about to lose said bets.

The instances seriously give this huge disconnect between where you are and what you're doing that's a little off-putting.

5. Bring back the face-plant
6. Better beard options

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Vaiyne posted:

6. Better beard options

7. Some more rugged clothes

I just want a proper leather jacket and some denim tops, maybe even a denim cutoff/vest R*? :unsmith:

Also some better tattoos, the lack of basically any head and neck tattoos annoys me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ninjahedgehog posted:

I'm not entirely sure what I did to become a lieutenant in Awful Company, but I don't mind the promotion. AWCO 4 Lyfe :black101:

Awwwww snap, I'm a Lt. too. Don't know what I did either, but AWCO 4 eva ya'll.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

Rutkowski posted:

I'm thinking of making a new PS3 crew for those of us who play a lot but missed out on the larger crews and as such are forced to play solo most of the time. Obviously, other goons would be welcome too but priority to those without any major crew to their name. Would people be up for this?

I just want to play with more goons. :(

I'm not really down for public freeroam alot and or constant madness for madness sakes, so I have a serious business sorta crew for my friends and I that we started. We mostly play private sessions and I drag them through the fun higher level missions and such.

Anyway, you guys are more than welcome to join in, and the emblem looks fantastic on the back of a hoodie.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/crew/left_hand_path/

If you just want the gooniest of goon play then wait for the merge of the current two smaller goon groups and join them. We are more of a small heist crew then dogfighting 8 jets over the city or hunting pubbies.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm going to try and grid Landing Strip tonight at like 6pm EST (and as soon as Lester gives it to me). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPlolmIgojc

Xbox GT: kormak1 (I'm in the stairs inc crew).

e: Can you enter planes after jumping out? They should add that.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 17, 2013

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Moochewmoo posted:

Except the online component is a pretty drat big part of the game. Rockstar pushed the multiplayer hard.

Did they? Multiplayer was a complete mystery up until a few months before release.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eriic posted:

Dark Souls sets the best example for balancing difficulty without resorting to Be Perfect Or Die bullshit

I think you're correctly identifying a game that's challenging but fair, but incorrectly picking out the difference in the two. Dark Souls has two fundamental design elements that are different from GTA: 1) enemies in Dark Souls don't have assault rifles or shotguns or anything that approximates them and 2) everything in Dark Souls is very deliberate placed and enemies stand in those very deliberate spots until you hit or approach them.

The former means you always know what hit you or killed you, because even with projectiles you can see something zooming through the air and trace where it came from more easily than in GTA, but in a grander sense the minority of enemies in Dark Souls who use ranged attacks at all are using spells they "charge" or firing bows which have a long delay between shots. By contrast, every single enemy in GTA is carrying a gun and there's really no forewarning or anything.

The latter means enemies in Dark Souls have a limited capacity for the random nature of spawn locations and AI (are spawn locations in Survival always the same for each wave? idk this) to gently caress you really badly without you understanding why or having control of the situation, picking a poor spot without even realizing it was a poor spot beforehand. It also makes it easy to memorize exactly where to go and what to do to survive and quickly kill enemies; if you've ever watched a speedrun of the game, the player pretty much doesn't kill anything but bosses because it's so easy to just blow by the rest of the enemies through a combination of memorizing their locations and the level layouts.

What I'm getting at with all this is that they're too fundamentally different games, and I don't think there's any kind of magic bullet change that would let you turn GTAO's difficulty into Dark Souls' kind of difficulty without revamping its entire structure. The thought that immediately lept to mind was allowing you to regenerate your health to full instead of half, but that just means you spend more time sitting behind cover (cover shooterrrrs).

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

Yardbomb posted:

Also some better tattoos, the lack of basically any head and neck tattoos annoys me.

loving colored tattoos. I want my girl character to have one half sleeve and a huge sacred heart on her chest

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

9. A way to get more team lives in the middle of a mission.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...

KoRMaK posted:

9. A way to get more team lives in the middle of a mission.

Yea, if you stay alive long enough or truck it over to the hospital you get another team life!

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
There are a bunch of easy strats for Base Invaders, you can land at the farthest plane, plant a sticky on it, run up to the others, snipe the pilots and sticky them, then detonate them all at the same time reducing the time you spend running around with the base alarm going off. Or you can just jump in the jet that spawns in the middle of the base and crush everything with your guns.

It's probably one of the easier missions to solo even on hard.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Did the port forwarding jazz and I'm still getting "voted" or timed out. Damnit R*, I just wanna have fun!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Finally got some time to check out GTA Online. Guess I was kind of lucky in being too busy to play during the time when it was impossible to get on, it's been very smooth for me.

However I'm wondering - are motorcycles impossibly hard to find in Online, or do they need to be unlocked or something? I've driven pretty much all over the map without seeing one. Or bicycles for that matter.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Good day today.

I created another jaded gamer when some guy didn't shoot me on sight, so I followed him around on foot for a while, then shot him. I killed him another 3 times after that, but then he discovered passive mode. He came at me and flipped me off for a couple of minutes. Of course, I stole a car and drove over him. Lesson taught, I left him alone after that.

Gooncrew member joined and we went after some people, most notably a couple of guys in a monster truck thing that both had bounties. I assume they placed them on themselves in order to draw people in. Anyway, we ruined them for a while but they eventually took off. I stole a firetruck and we chased after them and killed them a few more times. We had 4 stars at that point and cashcamden stole one of the SWAT trucks but it was a bitch to drive and we ended up dying a bunch of times (never losing the 4 stars). He drove us to Trevor's airport thing where we took the chopper out. We now had 5 stars, a first for me.

I thought I was real smart when I landed us in a hangar, trying to escape the helicopters. Of course the helicopter proceeded to enter the hangar and just fly perfectly for about 5 minutes. I was out of ammo so there was nothing I could do. I got back into the helicopter and flew off, ditching cashcamden (sorry bro). I jumped out when I reached the wind turbines and managed to bring down both helicopters that were after me, but I was on foot so I unceremoniously died shortly afterwards.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

I'm going to try and grid Landing Strip tonight at like 6pm EST (and as soon as Lester gives it to me). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPlolmIgojc

Xbox GT: kormak1 (I'm in the stairs inc crew).

e: Can you enter planes after jumping out? They should add that.

I think I'll join you on that this evening.

Also, to highlight the bullshit difficulty of this game, just watch this video starting at :23. The dude is using a sniper rifle at max zoom, and the enemies are using assault rifles and poo poo. Watch how fast his health drops. That negates the entire point of a sniper rifle.

How did Rockstar gently caress up so badly on that? It makes all prior GTA characters seem nearly invincible. It used to be so fun to go on the biggest rampage you could until you died. Now you've got three cops murdering you on three stars in an intersection. The cynic in me says that Rockstar wants you to die quickly because you have to pay money in free roam, and they've monetized in-game currency, but...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

The Midniter posted:

Also, to highlight the bullshit difficulty of this game, just watch this video starting at :23. The dude is using a sniper rifle at max zoom, and the enemies are using assault rifles and poo poo. Watch how fast his health drops. That negates the entire point of a sniper rifle.

How did Rockstar gently caress up so badly on that? It makes all prior GTA characters seem nearly invincible. It used to be so fun to go on the biggest rampage you could until you died. Now you've got three cops murdering you on three stars in an intersection. The cynic in me says that Rockstar wants you to die quickly because you have to pay money in free roam, and they've monetized in-game currency, but...

Hey that video actually reminds me of something: doesn't ARMA 2 have that exact same problem? I saw a video of some guy on a mountain several miles away of his target, assassinate the guy with a sniper rifle. The target's buddies all knew where the sniper team was and killed like one or two of them and almost killed the guy recording no problem.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

The Midniter posted:

I just think everyone should start with whatever the max health is, that should not be part of the leveling-up process. Low leveled characters are so much flimsier than the GTAV single player characters.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Earwicker posted:

Finally got some time to check out GTA Online. Guess I was kind of lucky in being too busy to play during the time when it was impossible to get on, it's been very smooth for me.

However I'm wondering - are motorcycles impossibly hard to find in Online, or do they need to be unlocked or something? I've driven pretty much all over the map without seeing one. Or bicycles for that matter.

Fairly sure you have to buy one. Use your phone and go to the Travel search thing from the home page and select the bike shop (it's closer to the bottom of the list). They are fairly cheap, most expensive one being under $16,000.

If you want a solid colour bike, don't pick the ones without pictures. I made that mistake once and ended up with the Sprite bike, which was nice but aside from my 84 Sheriff SU, all my carsvehicles MUST be orange.

A c E fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 17, 2013

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

^^^^^^
Bikes exist but yeah they're crazy rare. Luckily the best ones are still fairly cheap once you get through the starter lowbie jobs.

E- if you head up North you can snag a chopper pretty easily. Don't think you can insure any of the bikes from the Lost though.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 17, 2013

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Vaiyne posted:

6. Better beard options

For real. I was so disappointed I couldn't have the beards from single player at minimum.

edit: Also, the only facial hair color is black. I know that's the case for a lot of folks, but mine's blond. Why aren't there facial hair colors like there are for regular hairs?

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 17, 2013

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I have a BMX (two actually since it duped itself) and one of the racing bikes I found just in free-roam not far from my apartment. BMXs are crazy fun to putz around and irritate people trying to run you over.

Does anyone know if the "get shot while in a vehicle in passive mode" thing applies to bicycles?

GangsterIsland
Jul 7, 2011

It's

GIBBS

Ho

Pleads posted:

I have a BMX (two actually since it duped itself) and one of the racing bikes I found just in free-roam not far from my apartment. BMXs are crazy fun to putz around and irritate people trying to run you over.

Does anyone know if the "get shot while in a vehicle in passive mode" thing applies to bicycles?

If I remember right, you have to run people on bikes over and it's actually kinda tricky. Can't shoot them if they're passive on a bike. I may be wrong, but I remember getting into a passive mode biker confrontation on one of my first days playing.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Roughed up, vehicle destroyed and abandoned, but dammit, I eventually got away from the cops!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I spent entirely too much money pimping this car out and now I don't have an enough for the fancy apartment with a 10 car garage, and I'm really paranoid that I'm going to lose it based on what you guys said :ohdear:

Yes it has a tracker but it's the one from LSC :ohdear:

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 17, 2013

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
10. Colour code the text message pop-ups so you know if the invite is from a crew mate or a pubbie. I shouldn't have to memorise the 299 other members of my crew, especially if they aren't in the same session as me.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Has the Stimulus Package update hit yet?

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.
Up until today I believed I wasn't going to do the car selling glitch and that I could just make money the normal way. After running enough missions to get about $200k then losing all of it trying to have fun killing pubbies I have decided I no longer care. I did it with the free Elegy until I could afford a more expensive car and when I get back from class I'm going to have a great time NOT getting pissed that in 10 minutes I lost 3 hours of work.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

10. Colour code the text message pop-ups so you know if the invite is from a crew mate or a pubbie. I shouldn't have to memorise the 299 other members of my crew, especially if they aren't in the same session as me.

Yea this is annoying. I'd gladly accept goon crew invites but I only know about 5-10 at a glance.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Woodburger posted:

Up until today I believed I wasn't going to do the car selling glitch and that I could just make money the normal way. After running enough missions to get about $200k then losing all of it trying to have fun killing pubbies I have decided I no longer care. I did it with the free Elegy until I could afford a more expensive car and when I get back from class I'm going to have a great time NOT getting pissed that in 10 minutes I lost 3 hours of work.

This is such a lame excuse to abuse exploits. "I hosed off a bunch and wasted my money and don't wanna do it again."

I get people doing it because the game ate your modded car or something, but doing it to avoid your medical costs and stuff is lame.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 17, 2013

officeape
Oct 16, 2013

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

Yep - that right there.

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Exited a race last night in the desert and saw a bounty over by the airfield. He was with 3 crew members as I did a quick drive by to assess the situation. I decided to drive away and snipe from afar. As I pulled out a sniper rifle and aimed I got sniped.

Being well outnumbered and determined to get that bounty I called in some mercs. When they arrived I flew in with my BF Injection, bailed out and grenade launched everyone and everything except for the mercs. The bounty was only 1k. So I lost 9500 funbux, paid some insurances and picked up some badsport points but well worth it.

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Someguy posted:

There are a bunch of easy strats for Base Invaders, you can land at the farthest plane, plant a sticky on it, run up to the others, snipe the pilots and sticky them, then detonate them all at the same time reducing the time you spend running around with the base alarm going off. Or you can just jump in the jet that spawns in the middle of the base and crush everything with your guns.

It's probably one of the easier missions to solo even on hard.

Easiest tactic for me is to do it backwards.

Start on the freeway north of the tunnel, jump the fence using the ramp to the right of the north side tunnel entrance. Stick the jets, park on the right side of the bob, take the bob back, run over to the plane, then back in the bob. Mission takes three and a half minutes to complete without shooting a single shot at the marines.

Then to restart it, because you end the mission at the airfield, take a heli or plane back over to the freeway mentioned, then restart. With loading times, it takes about 8 minutes a cycle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am not one of those guys who needs to be sexually attracted to females in a video game to enjoy them, but my god, it has to be said, Why are boobs so loving low in this game? Every female GTAO character looks near-elderly (even if they are not) due to the fact that they have this GIANT flat chest/sternum and then boobs down below.

It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

This is such a lame excuse to abuse exploits. "I hosed off a bunch and wasted my money and don't wanna do it again."

I get people doing it because the game ate your modded car or something, but doing it to avoid your medical costs and stuff is lame.

Really? You don't see how loving around in freeroam should be an integral part of the game? You really think you should have to choose between an apartment that takes at least 10 ingame hours to save up for and maaaaaybe 2 hours of ammo and hospital bills for freeroam fuckery?

I look at it like a cheat code. It doesn't affect other players' enjoyment, it only affects my own experience.

My experience without cheating is frustrating and limited.

My experience cheating doesn't allow me to go crazy, it just let me play the game in what I believe is the spirit it was originally intended.

• Locked thread