Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

goatface posted:

Is there a big list of all the thrones anywhere?

Some dude collected a lot of them in this thread

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1704&st=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
OR you can just start a game on a big map with fifty thrones on it and look at the list in the statistics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jsoh posted:

OR you can just start a game on a big map with fifty thrones on it and look at the list in the statistics.

That doesn't get all of them. There's more than five level 3 thrones, for example. Is definitely a good way to see a lot though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Ok, so I never played this game but looked at it a couple times during D3.

Are there any great guides for getting into the game, and also are there any mods that are widely used that I should get?

Any other advice?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

goodness posted:

Are there any great guides for getting into the game, and also are there any mods that are widely used that I should get?

Any other advice?

The OP has both a list of mods that are widely used and links to bunches of guides, on top of starter's tips. Jesus. Why not just look the OP over once before posting something like this? :(

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Apoplexy posted:

The OP has both a list of mods that are widely used and links to bunches of guides, on top of starter's tips. Jesus. Why not just look the OP over once before posting something like this? :(

I did actually, I just wanted to know if there are any mods specifically useful to a new player and such.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

goodness posted:

I did actually, I just wanted to know if there are any mods specifically useful to a new player and such.

It can be handy to start all your SP games with a 'blank' mod, then you can paste changes into it and they'll take effect. Otherwise, no.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

goodness posted:

To start out with maybe just the Single Age mod since I think it is cool being able to play any nation you want against any other one. CBM is the most popular mod but I would just play the base game to learn it. I'm not sure if these work with Dom4 though. Don't sweat the passive-aggressive people, the community is actually pretty good (if not bad).

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

goodness posted:

Any other advice?

so far there aren't any major mods that I know of, there was a very popular dom3 mod called Conceptual Balance Mod (CBM) that I assume will get rereleased for dom4 but I don't really know anything about the dev's plans. I know Ninjadebugger is planning to resurrect some of his dom3 mods for dom4, too

for now your best bet is to learn vanilla dominions 4 by playing against the AI, there are enough mechanics to make it interesting. I don't recommend learning the game as MA Ermor/LA Ermor/LA R'lyeh, they're weird and different to play and a lot of MP matches will ban them, but until you understand the game thoroughly playing against the AI is pretty fun go nuts

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 17, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
What are your guys' thoughts on pikemen/longspearmen in line formation versus things like sacreds/giants?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 17, 2013

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

amuayse posted:

What are your guys' thoughts on pikemen/longspearmen in line formation versus things like sacreds/giants?

If you expect a number of deaths, I would give serious consideration to the blob formation just for the extra +1 Morale. The formation will break down pretty quickly in that situation anyway. Line is mainly useful for blocking a lot of stuff.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

amuayse posted:

You want line for your sacreds so you don't get super blendy death machine 5000 sitting in the back of the blob waiting their turn to smash faces.

Pikemen/spearman are more like the dudes wearing red in Star Trek.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
It's a little more complicated than that, and revolves around priest/mage strength and unit size (which you can check by clicking on the hitpoint stat).

Level 3 Divine Blessing can bless the entire battlefield at once. Level 1 Blessing has a range of 10+ and 5+. I believe that goes up to 11/6 with a level 2 priest. Each tile has a max size of six, size four units and above will take up the entire square. You could fit six sacred hoburgs to a tile if they existed (mod). This comes into play with Agartha, which I thematically like a lot, but where I need to be cautious of the line formation.

So, if you're running with giants, but supporting them with level 1 priests, just beware that you can only buff about five at a time, combined with hold and attack, and if you're putting the priests far enough forward then maybe you can buff fifteen total/priest.

A more common situation is size 2 sacreds, which you can fit 3 to a tile, and thus bless a lot more efficently with a low level priest.

The above extends to a lot of combat buff spells as well, but early on you have your prophet, and later on you probably have spare cap-only mage/priests than can cast the battlefield wide effects. So ideally you'll be set up to ignore ranges and AoEs, and just focused on providing enough turns to get the buffs off. However, in the early era you don't see as many good recruit anywhere mages and priests and you may be forced to compromise from time to time.

So really, just watch a battle or two against indeps, and make sure your priests/mages are getting proper coverage for their spells.

That said, I always assumed AoE was related to a radius, I need to pay attention and see if it adapts to lines well, now that I think about it. Still, the above is at least good to know, even if it might be wrong, the size stuff is still important.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Well I caved in and bought this game, here's to hoping the UI improvements are enough to keep me from folding after turn 120 or so!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So just as a matter of theorycraft, what would an EA Pelagia player do if he wanted to invade the land? Is there a powerful or obvious summon that strong water mages get that I just don't see? Can Mermen be supported by mermages in such a way that they aren't merely average?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I like line formation for blobs of ranged units because it keeps them all at the same distance and I don't have to worry about half the group not getting to shoot and wandering around.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

The Bramble posted:

So just as a matter of theorycraft, what would an EA Pelagia player do if he wanted to invade the land? Is there a powerful or obvious summon that strong water mages get that I just don't see? Can Mermen be supported by mermages in such a way that they aren't merely average?

You'd have to force a landing with your national troops+mermages, then your options depend on what sort of path diversity you have in order to summon up better troops to block for you. Also, remember that you can forge Amulets of the Fish natively on your Pearl Mages and Pearl Kings, so communioned heavy water evocations are a possibility. Also communioning can get you enough nature for the important battlefield buffs (like Relief.)

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Sea trolls can be summoned while you're still underwater, and they could help with the initial beachhead.

I'm trying to mod in a national Raven's Feast, does anybody know the effect number for the original spell?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bramble posted:

Besides the above, a big thing for Pelagia is that it, unlike nearly every other water nation, has national, amphibious units with shields. Still not great dudes, but that's far more arrow protection than basically every other water nation.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I just wanted to leave this here and say that Slug's sprite work is absolutely amazing!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Decrepus posted:

I just wanted to leave this here and say that Slug's sprite work is absolutely amazing!

I hope thats not final numbers because thats a bonkers strong mage for that low cost and no str.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Decrepus posted:

Excellent sprite. Balance may require some work.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

avoraciopoctules posted:

Sea trolls can be summoned while you're still underwater, and they could help with the initial beachhead.

I'm trying to mod in a national Raven's Feast, does anybody know the effect number for the original spell?

Sea trolls aren't good for much besides being a meat wall. They are pretty terrible really.

Your easiest bet to get out early are some amulet of the fish equipped Pearl Lords screened by chaff. Massed falling frost/Freezing Mist should be able to at least get you onto the beach if you select the proper target.

Later it's all about summons of course. Ether Gate, Hidden in Snow, Elemental Royalty, Golems etc. A pretender with high Astral is practically mandatory anyways and if you put a little death on him you can get Ether Gate going pretty easily. Only Conj 6 and Pelagia can get the pearls for it.

Your endgame is of course wish based.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 18, 2013

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It would take an absurd amount of research to get to level 9 Alteration, even more so since it's no longer Fibonacci based.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Sea trolls aren't good for much besides being a meat wall. They are pretty terrible really.
Sea trolls are fine vs indies and fantastic in castle defense.

High base hp with regen, larger than the land trolls which means they can clog the gate better.

quote:

Your easiest bet to get out early are some amulet of the fish equipped Pearl Lords screened by chaff. Massed falling frost/Freezing Mist should be able to at least get you onto the beach if you select the proper target.
Not really early game if you have construction for amulets and falling frost

quote:

Later it's all about summons of course. Ether Gate, Hidden in Snow, Elemental Royalty, Golems etc. A pretender with high Astral is practically mandatory anyways and if you put a little death on him you can get Ether Gate going pretty easily. Only Conj 6 and Pelagia can get the pearls for it.

None of the summons you mentioned can be cast underwater, so you can't use it to get to land..

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Decrepus posted:

Her spritework is pretty cool.

Oh, and the mod to go with it. It's not meant to be balanced or anything. It's just for fun.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/skd2xadet5reddk/Emerald+Sword+Dominions+4.rar

amuayse fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 18, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Zauper posted:

Not really early game if you have construction for amulets and falling frost

Amulets are const 4, Falling Frost is Evo 5. Pelagia has very good research, with recruit-anywhere Pearl Mages. It's entirely possible to have those spells by the early midgame. If you decide to grab a land foothold before then, you just need to be able to beat indies, which isn't hard.

quote:

None of the summons you mentioned can be cast underwater, so you can't use it to get to land..

Which is why he said 'later'. Those are the reason why you want to have a beach house.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

What exactly do people mean when they say this? I don't understand how Wish actually translates to winning the game, even though I do know a few of the things you can do with it (Armageddon to gently caress with blood nations, wishing for the absolute top-tier SCs, etc.)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It also converts gems you don't want into gems you do want, lets you control key artifacts, and is genuinely over-valued by huge numbers of players who think that lategame is still a thing that exists and forget that gemgens also do not.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
SC Wishes are basically vanity items. Unless you only Wish for an SC once it's better to Wish up ways to get SCs by, like a Tart Gate caster or the gems to overwrite Gift of Health.

You want to Wish for:
Gems
Path Access
Gems
Armageddon vs blood
Gems
Blood Slaves sometimes
more Gems

The reason you Wish for gems is because it converts pearls to gems of all types at a ratio better than 1:1. You then spend the gems of the types you can use, alch the rest back to pearls, and recast Wish. This is what is called Wish Alchemy.

Let's say you spend 75 of the gems you get from a casting of Wish. You got 6x25 gems of the 6 types and 25 pearls. You alch the remaining 75 gems back to pearls, that gives you 62.5 pearls including the 25. So you spent 37.5 pearls for 75 gems worth of stuff.

Pelagia is especially good at this because their water gems convert to pearls 1:1. So even if you spend zero gems you get from wishing, you make a 25 pearl profit each Wish.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 18, 2013

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What... WHAT?! God dammit Shrapnel Games! Every time I think I escape your clutches you drag me back in!!!

gently caress this. I'll preorder later. Sigh.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

ShadowCatboy posted:

What... WHAT?! God dammit Shrapnel Games! Every time I think I escape your clutches you drag me back in!!!

gently caress this. I'll preorder later. Sigh.

If it helps, it's not Shrapnel any more (right now you can only get it through Desura) and it's not pre-order any more either!

Ionnracht
Jun 1, 2011
Gamersgate also have it up for sale now if you don't want to use Desura for whatever reason.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Re: pelagia, I'd just take an awake SC and beeline for land.

TheDemon posted:

SC Wishes are basically vanity items. Unless you only Wish for an SC once it's better to Wish up ways to get SCs by, like a Tart Gate caster or the gems to overwrite Gift of Health.

You want to Wish for:
Gems
Path Access
Gems
Armageddon vs blood
Gems
Blood Slaves sometimes
more Gems

The reason you Wish for gems is because it converts pearls to gems of all types at a ratio better than 1:1. You then spend the gems of the types you can use, alch the rest back to pearls, and recast Wish. This is what is called Wish Alchemy.

Let's say you spend 75 of the gems you get from a casting of Wish. You got 6x25 gems of the 6 types and 25 pearls. You alch the remaining 75 gems back to pearls, that gives you 62.5 pearls including the 25. So you spent 37.5 pearls for 75 gems worth of stuff.

Pelagia is especially good at this because their water gems convert to pearls 1:1. So even if you spend zero gems you get from wishing, you make a 25 pearl profit each Wish.

Also the chalice if you need that to heal tart afflictions and hammer of the forge lord if you're forging rings of wizardry.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'm going to laugh and laugh the first time someone wishes for a hammer of the forge lord in Dom 4.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Irony.or.Death posted:

I'm going to laugh and laugh the first time someone wishes for a hammer of the forge lord in Dom 4.

Did they change the name, or is it just not worth it any more?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Irony.or.Death posted:

Not an item? :saddowns:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Not worth it with the percentage based forge gone with flat number replacing it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I found out that the throne of winter (and likely other seasonal thrones) can create sites at the height of their season... of course I was running heat 3 at the time and it made it coooold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

Not worth it with the percentage based forge gone with flat number replacing it.

This is the answer. If memory serves, it's 4 gems off each item. So, like, still lovely if you're mass producing frost brands. Less impressive if you're after the astral rings. Would take a long time to pay itself off if you wished for it.

• Locked thread