Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SourKraut posted:

I've been debating between the non-X 290 or going with the ASUS Matrix R9-280X.

Aside from a faster card you do get AMDs TrueAudio - assuming developers support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The 290 non-X should have TrueAudio too. TrueAudio is present on all GCN 1.1 GPUs, just not the re-launch of GCN 1.0 models.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah TrueAudio is somewhat tempting, but for the games I play at 1440p (WoW, D3, some old source games, Civ 5) I'm not sure how much benefit I'd see going with the 290 over the 280X. I've been tempted to just get the 280X now and if I need a little more power down the road buying another 280X once specials kick in and Crossfiring it. I know Crossfire isn't the best but I'm hoping AMD will continue the focus on fixing Crossfire via driver updates and by the time I would Crossfire them it's be better.

At the same time though the lack of a bridge on the 290s is an interesting development for Crossfire.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai
Now it appears that the 290X is slated for October 18th.

Goddammit AMD, which is it? Oct. 18th, or Oct. 24th? Some reports even say it won't be out until Halloween.

The constant date jumping plus the lack of confirmation on price is really wracking my brain. :tizzy:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Rahu X posted:

Goddammit AMD, which is it? Oct. 18th, or Oct. 24th? Some reports even say it won't be out until Halloween.

The constant date jumping plus the lack of confirmation on price is really wracking my brain. :tizzy:

What's the card going to retail at?

At least it'll be out before Battlefield 4 is released. That's all we could ever hope for.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

What's the card going to retail at?

At least it'll be out before Battlefield 4 is released. That's all we could ever hope for.

I'm hoping the 290 non-x will be out before BF4 is released as my PC is 3 years old and I'm building a new one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Wikipedia shows the R290 is suppose to be released tomorrow?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

Wikipedia shows the R290 is suppose to be released tomorrow?
Today was the originally scheduled NDA expiration, the day you could post reviews of the card. As we are discussing that was pushed back. This was not the scheduled release day.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Rahu X posted:

Funny that. Nvidia is supposed to announce something on the 17th. The plot thickens. I just need more pixels, my 7970 is overclocked to 1200 and can't go a lick faster without artifacts and can't push 3 monitors for poo poo if I turn up any of the settings.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Some supposed 290x numbers. How accurate/reliable these are, well :iiam:.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Wasn't Nvidia supposed to have a refresh to counter AMD's recent announcements? I heard rumors of a Titan LE or Titan Ultra. That's not happening, is it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Wasn't Nvidia supposed to have a refresh to counter AMD's recent announcements? I heard rumors of a Titan LE or Titan Ultra. That's not happening, is it?
I don't think a new high-end card is coming, though they have a $150 gap between $250-$400 where AMD is kicking their rear end right now, so they may launch a new card to fill that.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

"Now I see, lak human beings, dis like da sound of rabbing glass, probably the sound wave of the whistle...rich agh human beings, blows from echos probably irritating the ears of the Namek People, yet none can endure the pain"
-Malaysian King Kai

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Nothing of that sort. The most you'll see concerning the Titan is MAYBE a price drop, but I'd say that's unlikely.

What's pretty much confirmed at this point is that NVIDIA will be introducing the 760ti and maybe a 770ti. At least the 760ti, because there's already a page for it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There was speculation months ago about a 790 model, but I haven't heard anything substantiating that.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Rahu X posted:

What's pretty much confirmed at this point is that NVIDIA will be introducing the 760ti and maybe a 770ti. At least the 760ti, because there's already a page for it.
Just to be clear those are OEM-only cards that are currently out, not new products that are being launched. Those pages have been up for at least a few months.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
People are losing their loving minds over this AMD launch. This poo poo happens every time one company releases a new card and everyone seems to forget that the other company did the exact same thing the previous year. It's pretty funny to watch the fanboys for each side bicker and fight over which team is better and bring up/ignore "facts" about each side.

I just wish they would get it done already so I can decide which card I'm going to get. As it is, a single 7970 overclocked to its breaking point is -not- enough to run 8000x1440 resolution with any sort of eyecandy.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
You have three monitors, right? If you want to game at those resolutions, you're going have to go with a multi-GPU setup.

Anyway, I do hope the R9-290 won't be so power hungry.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

veedubfreak posted:

People are losing their loving minds over this AMD launch. This poo poo happens every time one company releases a new card and everyone seems to forget that the other company did the exact same thing the previous year. It's pretty funny to watch the fanboys for each side bicker and fight over which team is better and bring up/ignore "facts" about each side.

I just wish they would get it done already so I can decide which card I'm going to get. As it is, a single 7970 overclocked to its breaking point is -not- enough to run 8000x1440 resolution with any sort of eyecandy.

What kind of setup even adds up to 8000x1440?

edit: and plus, anybody could have told you that 8000x1440 is well beyond the purview of a single card. It's 40% more pixels than 4k. Even dual- and tri-SLI titans struggle at 4k.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 17, 2013

David Mountford
Feb 16, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

edit: and plus, anybody could have told you that 8000x1440 is well beyond the purview of a single card. It's 40% more pixels than 4k. Even dual- and tri-SLI titans struggle at 4k.

Likely 7680x1440 with some amount of bezel correction in the drivers. I do the same on nVidia and usually end up with a bezel corrected resolution around that.

Ximen
Aug 18, 2013
Got a special ed GTX 580, and I wonder how it compares to todays specs. Here are the specifications:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 Xtreme Lightning Ed.
832 MHz Core
3072MB GDDR5 4200MHz Memory
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N580GTX-Lightning-Xtreme-Edition.html#/?div=Specification

Could someone enlighten me how this works out compared to todays standards?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Ximen posted:

Got a special ed GTX 580, and I wonder how it compares to todays specs. Here are the specifications:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 Xtreme Lightning Ed.
832 MHz Core
3072MB GDDR5 4200MHz Memory
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N580GTX-Lightning-Xtreme-Edition.html#/?div=Specification

Could someone enlighten me how this works out compared to todays standards?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/704

Look at all these benchmarks, but remember that your card is a high-end overclocked version so it will do considerably better than a stock 580.

I would say it will do pretty drat well at 1080p for another few years. For 1440p or 1600p, you're going to have to turn things down to stay at 60 fps.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
I'm thinking of selling my SLI 2gb 680s and getting a single 290x card because I'm pretty sick of dual GPU woes in some games and at 1440p I'm not quite getting the performance I expect. However the market in Quebec sucks dick to sell local and the best offer I got was 550$ for both cards, am I doing something wrong?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Athropos posted:

I'm thinking of selling my SLI 2gb 680s and getting a single 290x card because I'm pretty sick of dual GPU woes in some games and at 1440p I'm not quite getting the performance I expect. However the market in Quebec sucks dick to sell local and the best offer I got was 550$ for both cards, am I doing something wrong?

I would try to sell them separately. You make more money that way with any product and especially I suppose with two identical cards that don't work that well together. I see them going for around $300 (USD) on ebay. Also, why are you averted to shipping? Sell them separately and use shipping.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 17, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Athropos posted:

Out of curiosity, which games are you playing at 1440p where the 2x 680s aren't up to the performance? I ask because I've been considering either 2x 770s or 2x 280Xs long-term and I'm at 1440p, so it'd be interesting to see with what games it may not even matter to go SLI or Crossfire.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
To be fair, I doubt it's the actual power of two 680s that's the problem, but more the 2GiB VRAM

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."

SourKraut posted:

Out of curiosity, which games are you playing at 1440p where the 2x 680s aren't up to the performance? I ask because I've been considering either 2x 770s or 2x 280Xs long-term and I'm at 1440p, so it'd be interesting to see with what games it may not even matter to go SLI or Crossfire.

I dunno, it's wildly inconsistent. I'm one of them "60 fps or bust" people and the performance in Borderlands 2 (maybe due to physics), Final Fantasy 14 (CPU bottlenecks which SLI doesnt help with), BF4 which maxes out Vram usage like mad, and Rome 2 which is a poorly coded piece of poo poo that chugs even 5ghz octocores all lack oomph at that resolution. Some games run flawlessly though, and for controller games like Assassins Creed the Batman games I can play on my HDTV at 1080 which gives a break to my 2 cards.

Maybe these framedrops to like 40 fps are because of CPU bottlenecks that I don't know about. I7-3770k running at 4.4ghz. I'm thinking that a single GPU solution with more VRAM will bring me less problems in the end by putting less stress on the CPU.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It doesn't really work like that in practice, none of the single GPU cards are powerful enough to match up to twin GTX680s, except in cases where it's lack of RAM causing the issue. The new AMD card is not going to be better enough over a Titan or GTX780 to measure up.

Ximen
Aug 18, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/GPU13/704

Look at all these benchmarks, but remember that your card is a high-end overclocked version so it will do considerably better than a stock 580.

I would say it will do pretty drat well at 1080p for another few years. For 1440p or 1600p, you're going to have to turn things down to stay at 60 fps.

Well, problem nowadays is that there are many incopabilities since it's a overclocked 580, an example is BF4 where I had major frame drops on even the High/Med options, whilst on ultra it was unplayable.. On the other hand I have BF3 which I can run smoothly on Ultra settings, which in my opinion looks a lot better than BF4.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Magic Underwear posted:

Oh I'm well aware of that. As noted, it's bezel compensated 3x27". The problem is, MWO, which I can't seem to stop loving playing, does not support multiple cards because PGI is a bunch of loving retards. But I do plan on either picking up 2 290x -if- it comes out with a frame pacing driver that works in crossfire and eyefinity. Otherwise I'm just gonna get 1 and wait until either MWO stops being dumb or nvidia brings out something to beat a single 290x.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
So I updated my GeForce drivers to 331.40 Beta, for Windows 8.1. It enabled Stereoscopic 3D by default. Everything has this drat fool red/blue split. Why on earth is that a default setting??

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

veedubfreak posted:

The problem is, MWO, which I can't seem to stop loving playing,
Holy poo poo MWO is still going on? I figured IGP would've gone under by now, if someone didn't just burn their offices to the ground.

Factory Factory posted:

So I updated my GeForce drivers to 331.40 Beta, for Windows 8.1. It enabled Stereoscopic 3D by default. Everything has this drat fool red/blue split. Why on earth is that a default setting??
That's... odd for a default setting, although 8.1 just released so they may not have had a ton of time to test the beta.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

Holy poo poo MWO is still going on? I figured IGP would've gone under by now, if someone didn't just burn their offices to the ground.

That's... odd for a default setting, although 8.1 just released so they may not have had a ton of time to test the beta.

It was like that in the beta too, I have no clue why.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

It was like that in the beta too, I have no clue why.
Reminds me of the weird driver issues in pre-SP1 Vista, although since not that much really changed from 7 to 8 it's a little inexplicable.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Two interesting things recently posted about that I just wanted to briefly remark on:

1. A person playing games known to be extremely poorly optimized and/or CPU-bound complains of the performance of two 680s in SLI. Legitimate gripe though on the 2GB VRAM limit, that's a bummer.

2. A person playing at a resolution not quite twice 4K is miffed that no modern card supports it adequately, when the current crop of cards (and I include Titan and the 290X there) aren't capable of running the most demanding games of today singly or in some cases even in tandem at 1080p at a minimum of 60fps. Such is the price of pixels, the charge toward higher resolutions will be the domain of computer graphics as it has been, but especially so with the performance I think we can expect from consoles at or near 1080p.

What am I saying? Nothing bad about either use case, just that some users' demands on hardware are not yet solved problems. Time will tell.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
AMD's stock lost almost 8% of its value on after hours trading. This is after posting profit for the first time in 4 quarters.

Rahu X
Oct 4, 2013

-Malaysian King Kai
True teaser benchmarks of the 290X are in, just in case you guys didn't know.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-290x-benchmark-performance,24732.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7424/amd-radeon-r9-290x-performance-preview-bioshock-infinite
http://www.legitreviews.com/benchmarks-amd-radeon-r9-290x-versus-nvidia-geforce-gtx780_126653

What interests me most is that on the Legit Reviews site, the results are labeled as being in "Quiet Mode." This wasn't referenced at all by AMD to my knowledge.

Either way, I don't know how to feel about this. The NDA will be lifted soon though, which eases my mind some.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Rahu X posted:

Either way, I don't know how to feel about this. The NDA will be lifted soon though, which eases my mind some.

This whole launch has bothered me quite a bit. I'm sure someone in AMD's marketing department probably said "Hey, let's just throw out little bits of information here and there, but never actually say when this thing is being released. It'll totally build suspense and hype!", but it's rather annoying to not even say when the NDA might be lifted or such. They might as well just launch the drat thing or at least just say when it'll actually be released.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Does anyone actually feel hyped by the 290X?

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

I'd personally love to upgrade from my 7870Ghz, but if the 290X is going to be $600+ and only similar to a 780, I'll be pretty disappointed. However, if it's $500 and womps a 780, I'll be a happy man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Not that I know of, which is why it baffles me as to why AMD is handling this the way they are.