Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dodge Charms posted:

Not really, but it sounds much more interesting than the current argument, so I'd be delighted to see a D&D rules interpretation of various Wolverine incarnations.

Berserker, Avenger, and original incarnation a Wolverine Druid with Animal Shape: Human Form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodge Charms
May 30, 2013

Barudak posted:

Berserker, Avenger, and original incarnation a Wolverine Druid with Animal Shape: Human Form.
I feel a distinct lack of katars and stump-blades.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

neonchameleon posted:

People did. Your point?

I was just asking, really. I only got into this hobby a year ago so I wasn't around for their playtest. So I didn't know if anyone called BS or not or if the game was even big enough at the time to get people's attention. Or, I should say, the attention of people who were actually going to criticize it for doing things like that.

S.J. posted:

Have you ever read grognards.txt? Serious question :v:
I do, on occasion. I'm presuming it came up alot in the past.

Also, I've been looking through the latest playtest packet and, besides the Druid and Paladin, I'm not really noticing anything different. Anyone see any other changes?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

Also, I've been looking through the latest playtest packet and, besides the Druid and Paladin, I'm not really noticing anything different. Anyone see any other changes?

New character sheet. Other than that, no, there are no changes.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There were a few differences. The Pathfinder RPG was a working beta rather then quickly changing alpha. The Paizo employees interacted a lot with their audience on not just their own forums but multiple others as well. Paizo is if anything good at building their community, and they did that nonstop with their playtest.

There's a huge difference between talking on the forums with people and releasing another weekly survey. There's a difference between a working beta and an alpha that changes every time you look at it. And lastly, there's a massive difference between releasing "a new version of the edition you love!" and "A new edition we hope you like."

D&DNext was always going to have to fight being lukewarm. It's a part of it's whole THING. Stuff uses "new and improved!" for a reason - it turns out "Old and sorta how you remember it" isn't a really good selling point. As I said, there are absolutely people who like Next. But few of them are excited about it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

There were a few differences. The Pathfinder RPG was a working beta rather then quickly changing alpha. The Paizo employees interacted a lot with their audience on not just their own forums but multiple others as well. Paizo is if anything good at building their community, and they did that nonstop with their playtest.

There's a huge difference between talking on the forums with people and releasing another weekly survey. There's a difference between a working beta and an alpha that changes every time you look at it. And lastly, there's a massive difference between releasing "a new version of the edition you love!" and "A new edition we hope you like."

D&DNext was always going to have to fight being lukewarm. It's a part of it's whole THING. Stuff uses "new and improved!" for a reason - it turns out "Old and sorta how you remember it" isn't a really good selling point. As I said, there are absolutely people who like Next. But few of them are excited about it.

From everything I've seen and read about Paizo, they are really good at selling their product and identifying an audience who will actually spend money on them. I will be interesting to see how marketing takes D&D Next to release.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

kingcom posted:

From everything I've seen and read about Paizo, they are really good at selling their product and identifying an audience who will actually spend money on them. I will be interesting to see how marketing takes D&D Next to release.

I don't envy them marketing NEXT, that's for sure.

Paizo had an easy time of it. "Sell this game to people who are already buying 3.5 and don't want to buy 4e." The market already existed, Wizards did all their work for them by releasing 4e. NEXT is trying to capture people who have never played D&D (low priority), people who have refused to buy another D&D product since 1e/AD&D/3.5 was discontinued (high priority) and people who are still playing 4e (medial priority). Those people have wildly divergent needs. I don't know if Paizo is good at capturing their audience or not, but I do know that releasing Pathfinder was like shooting fish in a barrel.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Mendrian posted:

NEXT is trying to capture people who ... are still playing 4e (medial priority).

I think you're being a bit over-generous here. Next has disavowed 4e from the get-go, and was created on Earth 617 where 4e never happened. This was epitomized in the Monte Cook article where he modestly proposes a "passive perception score."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I don't know who the gently caress Next is trying to capture, and I don't think anyone else knows, either. There's a few parts here and there that hint at an audience but nothing concrete. Which is why Next is being received so lukewarm - it's not "for" anyone, it has no emphasis and no central design. It's banking on being "the game that is named D&D" but I think they are overestimating their brand value these days.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It doesn't help that they are trying to sell an easy to run stripped down D&D, bogging it down with legacy mechanics, and Basic D&D is already a thing and you can play it free from tons of different sources.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It doesn't help that they are trying to sell an easy to run stripped down D&D, bogging it down with legacy mechanics, and Basic D&D is already a thing and you can play it free from tons of different sources.

If they'd actually made this, I'd have been first in line to buy it. BECMI with modernised design? 4e-lite? Hell yes.

Jimmy Groove
Nov 15, 2012

Barudak posted:

Don't forget that he also has to have a lot of hit points because he's secretly a Defender.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^ And a Wizard because he is always the Best There Is At What He Does, no questions asked.

moths posted:

I think you're being a bit over-generous here. Next has disavowed 4e from the get-go, and was created on Earth 617 where 4e never happened. This was epitomized in the Monte Cook article where he modestly proposes a "passive perception score."

This is my biggest issue with Next (Okay, outside of the broken mechanics, the several updates before they fixed anything wrong with balance, casters STILL being the be-all end-all, fighters being fancy meatshields to stand between the wizard and NotTheWizard...). It's the fact that Wizards of the Coast has done their damndest to cater to the absolute WORST of the fans.

Sure, write a love letter to 3rd and 3.5. Toss a bone to the players who remember when wizards prepared spells per day and didn't have "dailies" and "encounters". That's fine.
But, gently caress, it seems like from the gate they were doing everything in their power to pretend like it was 3.5 and then Next and there was literally nothing in between. Like what if these surges of healing are called HIT DICE you guys! Isn't this On-the-Fly healing a great idea that we never ever did?

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011
I'm one of the people who like DnD Next. I honestly think it has better design than 4e and makes 13th Age look like a half-hearted attempt at redoing DnD. Take the fighter for example.

At level 3, a 4e fighter has two at-wills, two encounters, a daily, and a utility power. Five different kinds of attacks to choose from at the start of every encounter. Awesome. They also had their marking mechanic that made them sticky as hell. And two feats! Plus their racial stuff! Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff. And the powers were good too. In the first player's handbook, a fighter's first encounter attacks let them choose between doing stuff like battlefield control like helping an ally get out of range of a monster's attack, or darting between two enemies and striking them both and hitting goons hard enough to knock them on their rear end. The choices you made building your character and playing it were both meaningful and rewarding.

To compare, a Next fighter at level 3 gets their Second Wind that has been rightfully lampooned for being a crappy shadow of its 4e glory, a fighting style that gives a rather boring +1 bonus to attack, Action Surge which lets you act twice one round every encounter, and if you're going Weaponmaster, three special attacks you can use twice per battle. They've also got their racial stuff, but they won't even get a chance at a new feat until level 4.

So why do I think the Next fighter is hands down the better class? Because when I say Action Surge, if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. You get a whole other action, which at the higher levels lets you make a whole fuckton of extra attacks. If I say Steel Serpent's Strike or Villain's Menace, you don't know what I'm talking about. They're fighter attacks. They do something. Something cool. But you need to look that up to remember what it is. And if you want those cool things, there are the Maneuvers, whose design--you use them after you've already hit, and even if they fail they give you bonus damage--is a whole lot better than 4e's 'whiffed on a daily, at least you can deal half damage' design. This idea of scaling complexity to what a player wants is really good. It's something that started with Essentials, was tried with some success with 13th Age, and what they're doing right now with Next is really good.

More than that, the design philosophy of Next seems to be to paint things in broad strokes. Take a look at the Fighter, and you'll see that every single goddamn level gives you something solid. An extra attack, a new feat--which, let's be honest here, completely blows lovely 4e feats out of the water--new maneuvers, advantage on every single save, and so on. And it's the same with every class. Every level is a freaking nice cookie, compared to earlier version of the playtest where the rogue literally had something like 11 dead levels.. And there's really no reason to believe that wizard's isn't going to use the same "deck building" approach to character options that 3.5 and 4e had, so when Next finally does roll out, you can bet there are going to be a whole fuckton of cookies to choose from, with more to come.

When they say they want to please every fan of DnD, it looks like they're serious. The game is easier to learn, run, and play than either 3.5 or 4e. Rather than dump every single rule and option on you from level one, classes don't really hit their stride till level 3, so it's the kind of game you can learn as you play. At the same time, people that want a more tactical 4e-ish experience can just skip right on ahead to level five or whatever and feel right at home.

All that said, I don't think the game is by any mean's perfect. Healing is mess, and the lack of opportunity actions ala 4e really hurts things. They need some actual guidelines to magic item rewards and monster building. But you know what? I'm hyped. I think they can pull it off.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh boy, an extra attack a day!

Man, someone else can explain the problems with that, just don't call anything involved with 13th age halfhearted. You can call it inferior or not good enough or whatever, but don't imply that there was anything less than 100% effort in making that thing.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Y'know, I admit when I started reading your post I was getting ready to mock, but it's actually really good to hear a different point of view.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I dunno about you, but I know exactly what Villain's Menace does right off the top of my head.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

[Fighters with too many options]

Wasn't the deal with gimmick accounts that you have to be subtle about it?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

That's the marketing spiel, yeah.

I'm not sure why you think classes not "hitting their stride" until level 3 is a good thing. I mean yeah, they don't, but you've chosen things at level 1 that make the level 3 "choices" bullshit - you still have to build your dude from level 1 if you want to be good at what you're choosing at level 3.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

At the same time, people that want a more tactical 4e-ish experience can just skip right on ahead to level five or whatever and feel right at home.

Why do you think this? "More options" isn't the same as "tactical game".

e: Also, I've finally borrowed a copy of 13th Age to read, so I can talk about it. It's probably not a game I'll play, but it's far from halfhearted. It's clearly had a lot of thought and work put into it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 17, 2013

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm going to quote-snipe a bit because it's better to dissect this example and then apply it more broadly.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Because when I say Action Surge, if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. You get a whole other action, which at the higher levels lets you make a whole fuckton of extra attacks... ...And if you want those cool things, there are the Maneuvers
These mechanics (action surge, multiple attacks, and manoeuvres) actively fight against each other. Assuming combat lasts three rounds, a Fighter starts off being able to perform three attacks per combat, capping out with twenty attacks at level 20. That sounds pretty drat neat! But someone who picks the "Gimme all the powers" Fighter path only gets to attempt two cool things per combat initially, capping out with four at 20. Remember, these are players who explicitly chose the "I want to do cool things" path. If I am explicitly choosing the option that lets me smash heads and stab shins I would like my level 20 fighter to be able to stab more than four shins per combat. Once you hit level 2 it's quite possible (and probably optimal) for a Fighter to blow all his interesting things in the first round, with that becoming increasingly easy to do as levels advance.

The Fighter ability to give up an action to gain an additional superiority dice seems like it should somewhat mitigate this issue. Ignoring the problems that giving up an action to do something cool later this has on its own, this is where multi-attacks start causing serious trade-off issues. At higher levels it costs four attacks now for the ability to boost a single attack an entire round later. This is worse than useless.

This is symptomatic of the problems with Next as a whole. There's no coherent design going on. Thy're just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. There's some neat ideas in there, but there's no cohesion. Good ideas merge together to make bad ideas, and already bad ideas make good ideas worse. Next as a whole that is actually less than the sum of its parts.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 17, 2013

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

That's the marketing spiel, yeah.

I'm not sure why you think classes not "hitting their stride" until level 3 is a good thing. I mean yeah, they don't, but you've chosen things at level 1 that make the level 3 "choices" bullshit - you still have to build your dude from level 1 if you want to be good at what you're choosing at level 3.

In his defence, not having to pick a feat at level 1 is the best part of this edition. Though thats not really a high bar.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We're almost done with Murder in Baldur's Gate. Since the game has been so tepid, I decided to see if I could challenge my players last night in combat. I advanced them to 3rd, and the Duke set them to arresting the Guild master, Ninefingers.

It turns out, if you want to make a hard encounter that challenges PCs, you need to use spellcasters.

I am Jack's total lack of surprise.

Also, looking up spells in combat is balls and will always be balls.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

In his defence, not having to pick a feat at level 1 is the best part of this edition. Though thats not really a high bar.

That's nice, but it's got nothing to do with

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Rather than dump every single rule and option on you from level one, classes don't really hit their stride till level 3, so it's the kind of game you can learn as you play

There's no element of learning and adapting involved.

At first level, the fighter chooses Fighting Style from the options Archery, Defense, Great Weapon, Protection, and Two Weapon, which you haven't got to try yet. If it turns out that "Big weapon!" was a bad choice, then you're stuck with it.

Your level 3 thing is a choice between 2 sets of features you haven't got to try yet. If you learn that Weaponmaster is a bad option for you, then you're stuck with it.

I guess with feats you don't have to think about them at first level, but there's still no element of learning. If it turns out that taking any feat was a worse choice than increasing your primary score, then get hosed, you're stuck with it.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Covok posted:

The way everyone is talking is making me feel like I missed a packet update but it looks like barbs got pretty heftily nerfed. They get temp HP while raging instead of just taking half damage and they need to take damage every turn to stay in a rage. Someone playing a monk in my group said they got buffed too something about advantage on attack rolls.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

ZIGfried posted:

The way everyone is talking is making me feel like I missed a packet update but it looks like barbs got pretty heftily nerfed. They get temp HP while raging instead of just taking half damage and they need to take damage every turn to stay in a rage. Someone playing a monk in my group said they got buffed too something about advantage on attack rolls.

Isn't the consensus that Barbarians need to make an attack or take damage, not both, to stay raging? The language is confusing as heck and I think that people were debating what exactly it meant a few weeks ago.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

So why do I think the Next fighter is hands down the better class? Because when I say Action Surge, if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. You get a whole other action, which at the higher levels lets you make a whole fuckton of extra attacks. If I say Steel Serpent's Strike or Villain's Menace, you don't know what I'm talking about. They're fighter attacks. They do something. Something cool. But you need to look that up to remember what it is.

I respectfully disagree with you here. The fighter can describe what she is doing, then read off the pre-printed power card she has next to her character sheet to tell you what the mechanics are. No flipping through books, checking tables, etc. And after that, you can simply turn the card face down, so no one can get into any arguments about how many uses of power X you've got left this day.

If looking at a card is harder than keeping a book open to a certain page, I'm not sure what's easy.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

I'm one of the people who like DnD Next. I honestly think it has better design than 4e and makes 13th Age look like a half-hearted attempt at redoing DnD. Take the fighter for example.

At level 3, a 4e fighter has two at-wills, two encounters, a daily, and a utility power. Five different kinds of attacks to choose from at the start of every encounter. Awesome. They also had their marking mechanic that made them sticky as hell. And two feats! Plus their racial stuff! Holy crap, that's a lot of stuff. And the powers were good too. In the first player's handbook, a fighter's first encounter attacks let them choose between doing stuff like battlefield control like helping an ally get out of range of a monster's attack, or darting between two enemies and striking them both and hitting goons hard enough to knock them on their rear end. The choices you made building your character and playing it were both meaningful and rewarding.

To compare, a Next fighter at level 3 gets their Second Wind that has been rightfully lampooned for being a crappy shadow of its 4e glory, a fighting style that gives a rather boring +1 bonus to attack, Action Surge which lets you act twice one round every encounter, and if you're going Weaponmaster, three special attacks you can use twice per battle. They've also got their racial stuff, but they won't even get a chance at a new feat until level 4.

So why do I think the Next fighter is hands down the better class? Because when I say Action Surge, if you've read the book, you know what I'm talking about. You get a whole other action, which at the higher levels lets you make a whole fuckton of extra attacks. If I say Steel Serpent's Strike or Villain's Menace, you don't know what I'm talking about. They're fighter attacks. They do something. Something cool. But you need to look that up to remember what it is. And if you want those cool things, there are the Maneuvers, whose design--you use them after you've already hit, and even if they fail they give you bonus damage--is a whole lot better than 4e's 'whiffed on a daily, at least you can deal half damage' design. This idea of scaling complexity to what a player wants is really good. It's something that started with Essentials, was tried with some success with 13th Age, and what they're doing right now with Next is really good.

So, I'm gonna take this one in a big chunk, because I may as well shoot down a bunch of dumb ideas in one go before getting to the arguable stuff. First, like others have said, 13th Age isn't half-hearted. I read it, I played it, I didn't like it because it sacrificed the thrilling tactical depth of 4e without making combats go significantly faster, I thought the idea of Icons was pretty dumb because attaching players to not-Vecna and not-Tiamat and not-Iggwilv and not-Elminster/Mordenkainen with them having no choice in the matter is lame as hell, and yet I would not say J. Tweet and R. Heinsoo were halfhearted about it. Both clearly love D&D to bits, and they went all-in with real playtesting to ensure their baby, their own special unique version of D&D, turned out as good as it possibly could.

Second, your argument in favor of Next's 'clarity' is 100% subjective, and you should feel bad for trying to use such blatant subjectivity as a point in favor of a game (or against it). When you say 'Action Surge' my mind doesn't go to 'take an extra standard action', it goes to 4e's '+3 to action point attack rolls' or Saga Edition's 'take an extra move action', or the identical d20 Modern ability (to Saga, in case you're unsure which game I'm referring to). It's a piece of jargon. It is no more or less clear than any other piece of jargon. Whether you could remember something or not has absolutely no bearing on how good or bad it is at being easy to remember. Off the top of my head, I can tell you Villain's Menace gives +4 to damage rolls and +2 to attack rolls, that it had a companion Warlord D5, that you'll trade it out ASAP for D15 Stance power Unyielding Avalanche which grants free [W]s or Dust Storm Assault, that you generally want to favor your encounter powers anyway because a stun or multiattack is better than a bonus to attack rolls, and that 'maneuvers are better because even if they fail they give you bonus damage' is moronic when dailies do the same (since if you miss they turn your damage output from 0 to 'half my full output'), and that you picked a really bad example anyways because Villain's Menace ALSO grants you its attack and damage bonuses on a miss, just halved.

Lastly, there isn't anything about the NEXT fighter that screams 'scaling complexity'. I don't have the option to play a ToB style fightman if I am bored by just saying 'I hit it with my sword, autohit on a 2 or higher, deal 25+ damage per hit, is it dead yet?'. It's still the same boring, lovely class with the depth of a kiddy pool where you just spreadsheet things out so you can find the optimal feat combo of extra action granting and maximum attack and damage bonuses and turn enemies into chunky salsa, hoping against hope none of them do anything but try to push your face in because you're going to be kinda hosed. It's not scaling up to what I want, by a long shot. What, you thought 'scaling complexity' only applied downwards?

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

More than that, the design philosophy of Next seems to be to paint things in broad strokes. Take a look at the Fighter, and you'll see that every single goddamn level gives you something solid. An extra attack, a new feat--which, let's be honest here, completely blows lovely 4e feats out of the water--new maneuvers, advantage on every single save, and so on. And it's the same with every class. Every level is a freaking nice cookie, compared to earlier version of the playtest where the rogue literally had something like 11 dead levels.. And there's really no reason to believe that wizard's isn't going to use the same "deck building" approach to character options that 3.5 and 4e had, so when Next finally does roll out, you can bet there are going to be a whole fuckton of cookies to choose from, with more to come.

Disregarding the fact that 4e's feats are ten times as powerful as NEXT's (seriously, find me one feat that is as consistently useful as Skill Power: Insightful Riposte or World Serpent's Grasp, or adds as much damage as Headsman's Chop), why do you think these things are solid? Advantage on saves is worthless because you're still going to have inexcusably large weak spots, gaining an extra action per day is pathetic because for the price of that same slot you could acquire free HP refills from Wild Shape (if we assume each class feature is worth just as much...surprise surprise, they aren't!) or advantage on every strike you make so you can deliver your killing payload efficiently, and so on. You're suffering from The Monk Effect. Just because you get something that sounds cool at every level (anyone remember Tongue of the Sun and Moon?), doesn't mean it is cool. The fact that I will have to buy ten splatbooks to replace the poo poo options with something that isn't poo poo and helps me create a more cohesive fighter package so I can at least do the one job of exploding dudes with a glance is not something to be enthused about, it should all work well and have meaningful choices from the get-go. After playing games like Mutants and Masterminds or FATE for such a long time, I no longer appreciate a splatbook model without an enticing basic framework to lure me in in the first place.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

When they say they want to please every fan of DnD, it looks like they're serious. The game is easier to learn, run, and play than either 3.5 or 4e. Rather than dump every single rule and option on you from level one, classes don't really hit their stride till level 3, so it's the kind of game you can learn as you play. At the same time, people that want a more tactical 4e-ish experience can just skip right on ahead to level five or whatever and feel right at home.

This is bullshit. Here's a challenge for you: build me an encounter consisting of an enemy githyanki adventuring party. It'll have a planar-jumping warrior who moves through folds in space to attack enemies and quickly retreat, a captain who coordinates the group riding a red dragon drakeling who uses a blunderbuss, a war wizard specialized in heavy evocation effects, and two sturdy frontline gishes who use defensive spells to empower themselves and protect the wizard and captain. Got it all memorized? Good. Now build it in NEXT and see how long it takes you to do it. For bonus points, do it using /only/ the monster building guidelines and not consulting the spells section. I can do this in 4e, and in fact just did it. All it took me was thirty minutes, total, for this whole monster party. I suspect it won't take you so little time to get it done in NEXT. This wasn't even an insanely esoteric thing, either - just a standard group of elite mooks who've been part of the game since AD&D. And yet the system can't handle a request like that. I'm not even going to talk about the whole 'motherfucking Vancian Casting minigame, uuuuuuuugh' thing, which is infuriatingly boring and spreadsheety. Just the fact that NEXT is demonstrably not as easy to run as 4e because you can't actually do something cool while GMing by the seat of your pants.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

All that said, I don't think the game is by any mean's perfect. Healing is mess, and the lack of opportunity actions ala 4e really hurts things. They need some actual guidelines to magic item rewards and monster building. But you know what? I'm hyped. I think they can pull it off.

Even while underdelivering on promises (where's that Warlord fighter variant, Mearls?)? You're a more optimistic man than I.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Rosalind posted:

Isn't the consensus that Barbarians need to make an attack or take damage, not both, to stay raging? The language is confusing as heck and I think that people were debating what exactly it meant a few weeks ago.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did indeed miss an update about a month ago. I've read Rage's description a ton of times now and I can't interpret it any other way than "rage will end if one of these two conditions aren't met." I feel this isn't what is intended though seeing how it means a barb can't rage on turn one if they have initiative over the enemies.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

I'm one of the people who like DnD Next.

First, thanks for speaking up. It's nice to see someone who likes Next round here. Of course it would be nicer to see someone who posted better reasons for liking Next.

quote:

To compare, a Next fighter at level 3 gets their Second Wind that has been rightfully lampooned for being a crappy shadow of its 4e glory, a fighting style that gives a rather boring +1 bonus to attack, Action Surge which lets you act twice one round every encounter, and if you're going Weaponmaster, three special attacks you can use twice per battle.

In short no structure that makes things easy to learn, a half-weight ability, and the ability to hit often. Whereas Steel Serpent Strike shows you how your PC moves - as does Tide of Iron. How a fighter moves is integral to their personality. And the half-assed design brought back in Essentials that means that a fighter is not about positioning, but instead stays around their five foot square playing patty-cake until one side drops rather than maneuvering into position as a part of the attack.

Even a "simple" next Fighter is more complex than a 4e Slayer. Or an AD&D fighter.

quote:

But you need to look that up to remember what it is.

And this is why Next is not easier to play and the claim that it is easier to run is, quite frankly, risible. The big difference is where you need to look things up. You look things up in 4e on your character sheet. Not in the rulebook. And speak for yourself - I know what all the powers of my currently active characters do. This is because I design the characters and pick powers to fit that character design. I don't know what the powers for fighters I have never played do.

As for you claim that you need to have looked through the rulebook to know what a given ability does, off the top of your head can you tell me what "Step of the wind" does? After all that's a low level standard ability. If you can't - and can't tell what "Natural Explorer" does off the top of your head the entire argument for not needing to look things up vanishes in a puff of smoke.

quote:

And if you want those cool things, there are the Maneuvers, whose design--you use them after you've already hit, and even if they fail they give you bonus damage--is a whole lot better than 4e's 'whiffed on a daily, at least you can deal half damage' design.

That design decision rips the heart out of tactical fighters. It turns the fighter from a tactical class watching the combat unfolding and trying to position yourself in the right place to take advantage to a purely reactive class who always goes at the enemy in the same old way and either kills them in the same old way or fails in the same old way. The Next tactical fighter has the complexity of a Fisher Price toy compared to the 4e one - and the basic fighter is no simpler than the Slayer.

Now I accept that you might not want a tactical and complex fighter and like them to be simple. But if you do, the fighter you get in Next is a poor excuse for one.

quote:

When they say they want to please every fan of DnD, it looks like they're serious. The game is easier to learn, run, and play than either 3.5 or 4e.

And this is complete and utter nonsense. And will be for as long as the bestiary makes you look in another book each time you want to use a spellcasting monster. Possibly easier to run than 3.5 - but in the absence of complete monster statblocks the idea that it's easier to run than 4e is a joke. And an even worse joke if it doesn't get skill challenge rules that allow me to take the hairiest of my PC's plans without breaking my stride.

Next is significantly harder to run than 4e.

quote:

Rather than dump every single rule and option on you from level one, classes don't really hit their stride till level 3, so it's the kind of game you can learn as you play.

As opposed to learn in about 20 minutes (I'm currently seeing if I can fit all the necessary rules of 4e onto a tri-fold) and not have to re-learn each time you start with a new class. Next is only easier to learn than 4e for your first character and then only as long as that character is not a spellcaster.

quote:

At the same time, people that want a more tactical 4e-ish experience can just skip right on ahead to level five or whatever and feel right at home.

And feel incredibly short changed. Honestly, I have at least as many tactical options in Dungeon World as I do in Next with a supposedly tactical fighter. The Next fighter doesn't get options that vary in utility with an unfolding situation. They have no element of strategic resource management - and the sort of tactical utility where the best move is normally to blow everything in the first round. They have no movement, no forced movement, and no battlefield control at all. People who want a more tactical 4e-ish experience can just skip right on ahead and ignore the Martial classes entirely; there's a deeper tactical experience in the 4e knight than there is in the D&D Next fighter. (There's also deeper tactical experience in the 13th Age fighter - and 13th age basically gives up the tactical elements of 4e).

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh boy, an extra attack a day!

An extra action every encounter. So at level 2, you can make two attacks in a round every encounter. At level 5, that becomes 4 attacks. At level 20, it's 8 attacks, twice per encounter. It's simple but it works.

quote:

Man, someone else can explain the problems with that, just don't call anything involved with 13th age halfhearted. You can call it inferior or not good enough or whatever, but don't imply that there was anything less than 100% effort in making that thing.

When I say halfhearted, I mean that they threw in a lot of good ideas and interesting new mechanics. They just didn't test them, so the math behind them is horrible. The 13th Age fighter is absolutely horrible compared to not just 4e and 5e versions, but even every single other class in the book, and caster supremacy is as bad as 3.5, only it hits from level 1.

AlphaDog posted:

Because their design goal is to build a game that can attract new players. If it takes an hour to teach a game and you new players are still making big mistakes, you're going to lose people. It's like Fate. For absolute newbies, you can teach them Fate Accelerated in a few minutes. Later, you can show them Fate Core. You can teach a new person the game with level 1, then let them learn it as they level up.

quote:

Why do you think this? "More options" isn't the same as "tactical game".

Meaningful options and choices are where strategy and tactics lie. That's my thinking at least, but I'd be interested in other ideas.

Splicer posted:

I'm going to quote-snipe a bit because it's better to dissect this example and then apply it more broadly.
These mechanics (action surge, multiple attacks, and manoeuvres) actively fight against each other. Assuming combat lasts three rounds, a Fighter starts off being able to perform three attacks per combat, capping out with twenty attacks at level 20. That sounds pretty drat neat! But someone who picks the "Gimme all the powers" Fighter path only gets to attempt two cool things per combat initially, capping out with four at 20. Remember, these are players who explicitly chose the "I want to do cool things" path. If I am explicitly choosing the option that lets me smash heads and stab shins I would like my level 20 fighter to be able to stab more than four shins per combat. Once you hit level 2 it's quite possible (and probably optimal) for a Fighter to blow all his interesting things in the first round, with that becoming increasingly easy to do as levels advance.

The Fighter ability to give up an action to gain an additional superiority dice seems like it should somewhat mitigate this issue. Ignoring the problems that giving up an action to do something cool later this has on its own, this is where multi-attacks start causing serious trade-off issues. At higher levels it costs four attacks now for the ability to boost a single attack an entire round later. This is worse than useless.

This is symptomatic of the problems with Next as a whole. There's no coherent design going on. Thy're just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks. There's some neat ideas in there, but there's no cohesion. Good ideas merge together to make bad ideas, and already bad ideas make good ideas worse. Next as a whole that is actually less than the sum of its parts.

I don't really see that as an issue. By the time you reach 4 attacks an action, you recharge 2 dice every single round. Before that, using your action to recharge dice is dumb. But being able to recharge your encounter powers in 12 seconds instead of an hour is nice.

Resource management is part of what makes things fun. 4e could have made every single attack power on the level of a daily power, but that would have been a clusterfuck, and it would have made the daily powers less special and cool. Putting a limit on something, by its very nature, makes it cooler.

AlphaDog posted:

That's nice, but it's got nothing to do with

There's no element of learning and adapting involved.

At first level, the fighter chooses Fighting Style from the options Archery, Defense, Great Weapon, Protection, and Two Weapon, which you haven't got to try yet. If it turns out that "Big weapon!" was a bad choice, then you're stuck with it.

Your level 3 thing is a choice between 2 sets of features you haven't got to try yet. If you learn that Weaponmaster is a bad option for you, then you're stuck with it.

I guess with feats you don't have to think about them at first level, but there's still no element of learning. If it turns out that taking any feat was a worse choice than increasing your primary score, then get hosed, you're stuck with it.

Good point. When you play 5e, there are absolutely zero ways to retrain or change your character. You're locked in. And if you do try to talk to your GM about changing your concept even a little bit, Wizards of the Coast is going to...uh...oh wait, no, they won't do poo poo because this is an absolutely stupid argument to be making.

Spoilers Below posted:

I respectfully disagree with you here. The fighter can describe what she is doing, then read off the pre-printed power card she has next to her character sheet to tell you what the mechanics are. No flipping through books, checking tables, etc. And after that, you can simply turn the card face down, so no one can get into any arguments about how many uses of power X you've got left this day.

If looking at a card is harder than keeping a book open to a certain page, I'm not sure what's easy.

Playing 4e like a card game is always an option, it's just a bit more work. And that it can be broken down into card-sized bits is a big advantage it has over a lot of games like Warhammer where it's just tables tables tables.

Transient People posted:

So, I'm gonna take this one in a big chunk, because I may as well shoot down a bunch of dumb ideas in one go before getting to the arguable stuff. First, like others have said, 13th Age isn't half-hearted. I read it, I played it, I didn't like it because it sacrificed the thrilling tactical depth of 4e without making combats go significantly faster, I thought the idea of Icons was pretty dumb because attaching players to not-Vecna and not-Tiamat and not-Iggwilv and not-Elminster/Mordenkainen with them having no choice in the matter is lame as hell, and yet I would not say J. Tweet and R. Heinsoo were halfhearted about it. Both clearly love D&D to bits, and they went all-in with real playtesting to ensure their baby, their own special unique version of D&D, turned out as good as it possibly could.

Well, they didn't do a very good job playtesting then.

quote:

Second, your argument in favor of Next's 'clarity' is 100% subjective, and you should feel bad for trying to use such blatant subjectivity as a point in favor of a game (or against it). When you say 'Action Surge' my mind doesn't go to 'take an extra standard action', it goes to 4e's '+3 to action point attack rolls' or Saga Edition's 'take an extra move action', or the identical d20 Modern ability (to Saga, in case you're unsure which game I'm referring to). It's a piece of jargon. It is no more or less clear than any other piece of jargon. Whether you could remember something or not has absolutely no bearing on how good or bad it is at being easy to remember. Off the top of my head, I can tell you Villain's Menace gives +4 to damage rolls and +2 to attack rolls, that it had a companion Warlord D5, that you'll trade it out ASAP for D15 Stance power Unyielding Avalanche which grants free [W]s or Dust Storm Assault, that you generally want to favor your encounter powers anyway because a stun or multiattack is better than a bonus to attack rolls, and that 'maneuvers are better because even if they fail they give you bonus damage' is moronic when dailies do the same (since if you miss they turn your damage output from 0 to 'half my full output'), and that you picked a really bad example anyways because Villain's Menace ALSO grants you its attack and damage bonuses on a miss, just halved.

Action Surge is "Once per encounter, take an extra action." Villain's Menace is "standard action melee attack targeting one creature with strength vs Ac that deals 2W+strength and gives +2 power--remember, power bonuses don't stack with each other--bonus to attack rolls and +4 power bonus to damage rolls to the target until the end of the encounter, though if you miss you do no damage but still gain +1/+2 power bonus to attack/damage until the end of the encounter." If that sticks in your head more easily, more power to you.

quote:

Lastly, there isn't anything about the NEXT fighter that screams 'scaling complexity'. I don't have the option to play a ToB style fightman if I am bored by just saying 'I hit it with my sword, autohit on a 2 or higher, deal 25+ damage per hit, is it dead yet?'. It's still the same boring, lovely class with the depth of a kiddy pool where you just spreadsheet things out so you can find the optimal feat combo of extra action granting and maximum attack and damage bonuses and turn enemies into chunky salsa, hoping against hope none of them do anything but try to push your face in because you're going to be kinda hosed. It's not scaling up to what I want, by a long shot. What, you thought 'scaling complexity' only applied downwards?
Okay...? I don't think the higher levels boil down to "autohit on a 2" at all.

quote:

Disregarding the fact that 4e's feats are ten times as powerful as NEXT's (seriously, find me one feat that is as consistently useful as Skill Power: Insightful Riposte or World Serpent's Grasp, or adds as much damage as Headsman's Chop), why do you think these things are solid? Advantage on saves is worthless because you're still going to have inexcusably large weak spots, gaining an extra action per day is pathetic because for the price of that same slot you could acquire free HP refills from Wild Shape (if we assume each class feature is worth just as much...surprise surprise, they aren't!) or advantage on every strike you make so you can deliver your killing payload efficiently, and so on. You're suffering from The Monk Effect. Just because you get something that sounds cool at every level (anyone remember Tongue of the Sun and Moon?), doesn't mean it is cool. The fact that I will have to buy ten splatbooks to replace the poo poo options with something that isn't poo poo and helps me create a more cohesive fighter package so I can at least do the one job of exploding dudes with a glance is not something to be enthused about, it should all work well and have meaningful choices from the get-go. After playing games like Mutants and Masterminds or FATE for such a long time, I no longer appreciate a splatbook model without an enticing basic framework to lure me in in the first place.

Sure, there are really powerful 4e feats. But all of those feats are built on using system mastery to create cheesy, gimmicky builds. Headsman's Chop is +5 damage when you attack a prone enemy with an axe. Well, that sounds innocent enough. Oh wait, your whole build revolves around keeping enemies prone all the time with every attack? Congrats. You win.

Next Feats move away from that with every single feat being enough to give a character the essence of a build without breaking it. Take the Charger feat. It lets you either reliably push people around the battlefield or deal five extra damage. Maybe when Next comes out there will be a ton of charge cheese like 4e that makes something like that a gamebreaker, but I'm optimistic that they're moving away from that.

quote:

This is bullshit. Here's a challenge for you: build me an encounter consisting of an enemy githyanki adventuring party. It'll have a planar-jumping warrior who moves through folds in space to attack enemies and quickly retreat, a captain who coordinates the group riding a red dragon drakeling who uses a blunderbuss, a war wizard specialized in heavy evocation effects, and two sturdy frontline gishes who use defensive spells to empower themselves and protect the wizard and captain. Got it all memorized? Good. Now build it in NEXT and see how long it takes you to do it. For bonus points, do it using /only/ the monster building guidelines and not consulting the spells section. I can do this in 4e, and in fact just did it. All it took me was thirty minutes, total, for this whole monster party. I suspect it won't take you so little time to get it done in NEXT. This wasn't even an insanely esoteric thing, either - just a standard group of elite mooks who've been part of the game since AD&D. And yet the system can't handle a request like that. I'm not even going to talk about the whole 'motherfucking Vancian Casting minigame, uuuuuuuugh' thing, which is infuriatingly boring and spreadsheety. Just the fact that NEXT is demonstrably not as easy to run as 4e because you can't actually do something cool while GMing by the seat of your pants.

loving hell, dude. You quote me right after you say this, where I say, "They need some actual guidelines to magic item rewards and monster building." I know 4e has better monster design than Next, because Next doesn't have any loving monster design rules. Honestly, what about Next gives you the idea that they won't be boil monsters down to a business card in the same way as 4e?

neonchameleon posted:

In short no structure that makes things easy to learn, a half-weight ability, and the ability to hit often. Whereas Steel Serpent Strike shows you how your PC moves - as does Tide of Iron. How a fighter moves is integral to their personality. And the half-assed design brought back in Essentials that means that a fighter is not about positioning, but instead stays around their five foot square playing patty-cake until one side drops rather than maneuvering into position as a part of the attack.

Even a "simple" next Fighter is more complex than a 4e Slayer. Or an AD&D fighter.

The simple Next fighter is a big step up from the Slayer and 2e fighter. It has good solid design and it's effective from level one to twenty. Some people honestly don't like tons of tactical depth to their characters, seeing every battle as a chess game. So long as they can be effective and have fun doing it, that's fine. There's nothing wrong with designing a game that they can play together with their friends who do like the tactical battle side of things.

quote:

And this is why Next is not easier to play and the claim that it is easier to run is, quite frankly, risible. The big difference is where you need to look things up. You look things up in 4e on your character sheet. Not in the rulebook. And speak for yourself - I know what all the powers of my currently active characters do. This is because I design the characters and pick powers to fit that character design. I don't know what the powers for fighters I have never played do.

As for you claim that you need to have looked through the rulebook to know what a given ability does, off the top of your head can you tell me what "Step of the wind" does? After all that's a low level standard ability. If you can't - and can't tell what "Natural Explorer" does off the top of your head the entire argument for not needing to look things up vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Right. You look it up on your character sheet. Your entire table looks it up on your character sheet. My point was that Action Surge was an example of an ability that's easy to remember because it's just "take an extra action", not a big spiel.

quote:

That design decision rips the heart out of tactical fighters. It turns the fighter from a tactical class watching the combat unfolding and trying to position yourself in the right place to take advantage to a purely reactive class who always goes at the enemy in the same old way and either kills them in the same old way or fails in the same old way. The Next tactical fighter has the complexity of a Fisher Price toy compared to the 4e one - and the basic fighter is no simpler than the Slayer.

Now I accept that you might not want a tactical and complex fighter and like them to be simple. But if you do, the fighter you get in Next is a poor excuse for one.

Not really. Functionally, a 3.5 fighter thinks "I want to trip this guy." If they built their character for tripping, they make the check, probably succeed unless it's a goo or something, and it trips and they can make attacks or whatever. One trick pony. If they didn't build it like that, they fail. 4e fighter is the same way. You can pretty easily build your character to constantly trip up the competition, or you can have a single encounter power that knocks them prone. Miss with that and you're done trying to trip them. 5e fighter wants to trip something, they attack until they hit it, then use their trip power. They can use that trip power two to four times, and if it's something that they would logically be able to trip, ie it isn't all that strong, it'll probably trip.

quote:

And this is complete and utter nonsense. And will be for as long as the bestiary makes you look in another book each time you want to use a spellcasting monster. Possibly easier to run than 3.5 - but in the absence of complete monster statblocks the idea that it's easier to run than 4e is a joke. And an even worse joke if it doesn't get skill challenge rules that allow me to take the hairiest of my PC's plans without breaking my stride.

Next is significantly harder to run than 4e.
As I said, Next really needs to have monster building rules, and the decision to include spellcasting in statblocks is pretty bad, honestly.

quote:

As opposed to learn in about 20 minutes (I'm currently seeing if I can fit all the necessary rules of 4e onto a tri-fold) and not have to re-learn each time you start with a new class. Next is only easier to learn than 4e for your first character and then only as long as that character is not a spellcaster.
4e is a pretty complicated game. I really like it, but it's complicated. And the whole charop culture of it means that "learning" it is more about browsing optimization guides online than just reading the rulebook or playing the game.

quote:

And feel incredibly short changed. Honestly, I have at least as many tactical options in Dungeon World as I do in Next with a supposedly tactical fighter. The Next fighter doesn't get options that vary in utility with an unfolding situation. They have no element of strategic resource management - and the sort of tactical utility where the best move is normally to blow everything in the first round. They have no movement, no forced movement, and no battlefield control at all. People who want a more tactical 4e-ish experience can just skip right on ahead and ignore the Martial classes entirely; there's a deeper tactical experience in the 4e knight than there is in the D&D Next fighter. (There's also deeper tactical experience in the 13th Age fighter - and 13th age basically gives up the tactical elements of 4e).

Dungeon World and *World games in general are poo poo that rely on freeform and ignoring how bad the rules for doing things actually are. The 13th Age fighter has zero choices. It's "roll to attack, then see which lovely power I just triggered".

Phew. That took a while.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

Dungeon World and *World games in general are poo poo that rely on freeform and ignoring how bad the rules for doing things actually are.

This is it. This is every reason to know that you are wrong. Get hosed. Your post is a festering pustule of incorrect and disingenuous bullshit, but this is all anyone needs to see.

EDIT: What kind of bizarro hell world do you come from where 13th Age wasn't playtested to hell and back?

Dec 26, 2012

I also don't know what bizarro world you're living in where the 13th age fighter is bad, much less one of the worst classes in the book, but that's not a discussion for this thread.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Mr. Maltose posted:

EDIT: What kind of bizarro hell world do you come from where 13th Age wasn't playtested to hell and back?

Have a look at the wood elf. Now, turn your gaze over to the half elf. Something is wrong here.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

This is it. This is every reason to know that you are wrong. Get hosed. Your post is a festering pustule of incorrect and disingenuous bullshit, but this is all anyone needs to see.

gently caress you too, buddy. As for 13th Age, look at all a fighter power called Deadly Assault does is boost a damage roll range from 6-15 to 7-15. Look at Cleric's strength domain and try to tell me Power Attack isn't the exact same thing, only worse. Look at the fact that as casters level up, every single spell they have scales not just in damage, but in effect. Or how magic users in general have a "do anything, solve every problem" ritual power while martial classes are stuck with dumb icons and backgrounds.

It's fine to like 13th Age. Like whatever the gently caress you want. But it was designed with some absolutely terrible understandings of extremely basic math and whatever playtesting they did didn't address those issues at all.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Mr. Maltose posted:

OMG SOMEONE MALIGNED A GAME I LIKE MUST FLIP OUT

Dude, calm the gently caress down. This thread in general and you in the specific have been getting progressively hotter over this dumbass game. Calm the gently caress down. He disliked Dungeon World, and what's more disliked it for the wrong reasons, this is not worth the OMG YOU LIAR GET hosed response. His opinion, as terrible as you may think it is, is actually contributing to the thread. Yours is meaningless quack. When you come back from your short vacation, mellow out.

This goes for everyone in here.

That said, Quadratic_Wizard you are on notice, stop talking poo poo about other games to rile up the locals. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt to this point, in the future if you post something to the effect of "WELL THAT GAME YOU LIKE IS poo poo" I am gonna hammer you. The same goes for everything in here. This thread is now a magical tea party of civility. If something is bad, post why it is bad. If your only response to a bad opinion on a role playing game, even the best role playing game ever devised by the mind of man (or the worst, who knows) is to freak out and call people liars and tell them to get hosed you need to take a walk or something.

Quadratic_Wizard posted:

gently caress you too, buddy. As for 13th Age, look at all a fighter power called Deadly Assault does is boost a damage roll range from 6-15 to 7-15. Look at Cleric's strength domain and try to tell me Power Attack isn't the exact same thing, only worse. Look at the fact that as casters level up, every single spell they have scales not just in damage, but in effect. Or how magic users in general have a "do anything, solve every problem" ritual power while martial classes are stuck with dumb icons and backgrounds.

It's fine to like 13th Age. Like whatever the gently caress you want. But it was designed with some absolutely terrible understandings of extremely basic math and whatever playtesting they did didn't address those issues at all.

Oh wait, it is like someone gave me a gift because I have been so good.

MOD CHALLENGE INCOMING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGMGwWWUkII

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE: Compose or find a riddle no one else in this thread can answer within 24 hours of posting. You must PM me the answer, and I and at least two other members of the mod/admin team must deem this riddle fair and true. If no one can answer you become the Champion of Next, the Highlander of WOTC and you become immortal. Your reward is you may post in this thread as you please (within the normal limits of SA gray forum posting) until Next is released. So, no racial slurs or NWS pictures but you can call 13th Age a big pile of poo poo that fucks its own mother if you want or whatever. This may be revoked if, in the opinion of the staff, it is being abused.

If your riddle is answered, the person answering may ask you a riddle in turn for the SAME PRIZE. If you ask and answer at least one riddle, your account is safe. Failure to ask any riddles, or failure to ask and answer at least one riddle, and Quadratic_Wizard is banned. If no one is willing or able to ask a counter riddle, you will be let off with a 24 hour probation. The GAME continues until there is only one, a last riddling survivor or until no one is willing to ask another riddle or until November. After your initial exchange, anyone who answers and then asks a riddle which is answered will get a 24 hour probation as a token of the fact that they are willing to shed e-blood for the glory of D&D Next or 13th Age or Dungeon World or whatever.

No one may become champion without asking and answering at least one riddle. The champion must stand with a riddle unposed at the end.

COWARD CLAUSE: Not all are born Highlanders or made for glory. If you are not, you may post an essay of no less than 7500 words which not only establishes a premise for why the math in game X is better/worse than the math in D&D Next but does so displaying a knowledge of games and game theory and how math is applied to each. This will be judged by my secret panel of experts. Note if someone wishes to SCOOP you and derail the entire contest, they have 24 hours to do so.

LET THE RIDDLING BEGIN

Winson_Paine fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 17, 2013

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The Cleric strength domain does absolutely no damage, only allowing the use of heavy/martial weapons. It appears you have a misunderstanding of what it actually does at baseline.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone plan on running the game online anytime soon? Like any plans for a quick one shot of the title? While I'm not in love with the title, it isn't bad and could be pretty fun to play. Besides, after following the game for so long, I would be interested in playing it a bit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Before anything kicks in I'd like to apologize publicly to Quadratic Wizard and the thread at large for that loving terrible post. I need to stop gettin' mad at elfgames, yeah.

Quadratic_Wizard
Jun 7, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

Before anything kicks in I'd like to apologize publicly to Quadratic Wizard and the thread at large for that loving terrible post. I need to stop gettin' mad at elfgames, yeah.

Apology accepted. I would say "Sorry I offended you", but that's absolutely the worst kind of apology I can think of, but the only relevant one that comes to mind.

Anyways, this sounds like fun. I think I'll try and do both challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The 5e Fighter's action surge - and the way action surge scales - should properly be read as a confirmation that individual melee combat attacks are of trivial value. "Your only power is action surge" is not at all better than "Your powers are cleave, tide of iron, steel serpent strike, and villain's menace". The latter give you definite agency over how your character's actions are described and what effect they have on the game world, while the former's reducible to a goddamn damage bonus.

I actually agree with Quadratic_Wizard that the 13th Age fighter is cruddy and appears to have been denied cool powers for legacy reasons - but those complaints apply just as well to the 5e fighter, which is another character that jumps through a bunch of hoops and hopes desperately to pass a bunch of rolls just to slightly increase or decrease some values important to the combat engine.

• Locked thread