Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone had success with summoning the Golem outside the lihzahrd temple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Kyrosiris posted:

Nah, building sweet hobbit holes in a hillside is awesome. This is what my girlfriend and I have cobbled together on our multiplayer server (or at least an older version of it, we've got a few more rooms now):

Oh. Well poo poo, that looks pretty cool, too. I also really like the look of the ice walls, and the ... Well, everything. I need to go exploring and get some materials for color torches - though I do like my Star in a Bottle. Thus far it's been me hollowing out the hill while my boyfriend runs around collecting stuff in caves. Now that we've got a couple chests for me to store stuff in, I want to go explore a bit - especially since there's a winter/ice biome right nearby.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

morcant posted:

Oh. Well poo poo, that looks pretty cool, too. I also really like the look of the ice walls, and the ... Well, everything. I need to go exploring and get some materials for color torches - though I do like my Star in a Bottle. Thus far it's been me hollowing out the hill while my boyfriend runs around collecting stuff in caves. Now that we've got a couple chests for me to store stuff in, I want to go explore a bit - especially since there's a winter/ice biome right nearby.

Yeah, we've been trying to tailor the decor of each room to the occupant of said room - the super pink room with the pink vase is the Party Girl's room, the dark room with the Clothier painting is the Clothier's room, etc.

We built a room totally out of clouds and cloud walls for our Nurse yesterday; I'll get pics of what our hobbit hole looks like now when I get home from work.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Is that a rare drop or something? I got it from him the first time.

All of his drops are equally as likely to drop as each other, and he'll only ever drop one. He's like Plantera, that way. The problem isn't so much that it's rare, it's that the RNG may or may not hate you. I got something like three Staffs of Earth before he finally coughed up the Picksaw.

Hummingbirds posted:

Anyone had success with summoning the Golem outside the lihzahrd temple?

All the time, even out on the surface. All he needs is space to spawn in, and the Altar.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Pygmy set is just so much fun. I can not figure out the best accessory set for using it though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mental Midget posted:

The way I'm playing, which is kind of like this, is I'm keeping my main world and main base on Normal Mode, because I want to keep building and decorating in relative peace, and keep the majority of my loot in one centralized area. Then I'm spawning additional worlds to do different things like farm Wall of Flesh, explore hardmode stuff, etc. but only building one room outposts on those worlds. It's a bit of metagaming that I'm finding pretty fun.

Are you just planning to never get hardmode NPCs?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Someone was asking about black dyes. I found a pretty good setup for a low-impact ocean farm. You'll need lihzard spear trap blocks, a one-second timer, and the neptune shell, but it works great. Holding a water candle won't show up visibly but the effect will stay. All the dyes, banners, and even pirate maps you could want.

Building it into the slope stops jellyfish from going too far, and will get enemies coming from the left to drop down to you. I got really lucky when I set mine up and, like in this screenshot, only really got enemies coming from the right side. Occasionally a mummy or zombie would wander in from the left but for the most part it was a constant parade of ocean enemies from the right. Start a local server and tab out if you want to idle and you'll have 50 inks and a dozen stacks of worthless glowsticks before you know it.
I hooked it up in sequence so the spears didn't go at the same time. If they do only one hits, this keeps a nice back and forth rhythm. You could probably use spiked balls but the lack of spread on the spears ensured I picked up items as they dropped, rather than just leaving them on the nearby ocean floor.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zero Star posted:

How viable is it to make a small world solely for storing valuable equipment? The theory is that I can use my character's inventory as well as piggybanks to transfer items into a 'store' world, therefore leaving more space in my 'main' one. Is this something a lot of people find useful, or would I just be wasting my time?
Why would you not just put more chests in your main world?

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Quick question: How do I set a spot as home so I can use the magic mirror for it? Or do i just need to build at spawn?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zereth posted:

Why would you not just put more chests in your main world?

Meteor strike?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bash Ironfist posted:

Quick question: How do I set a spot as home so I can use the magic mirror for it? Or do i just need to build at spawn?

Wood + silk makes a bed. Place the bed and right click to set a spawn point.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
Edit: Beaten just like the destroyer in a stream of piss spell.

Right-clicking on a bed will set your spawn point. If you do not have access to a bed then you'll have to build your home at original spawn.

I can beat the destroyer easily enough with the nimbus staff and golden shower, but I tried duoing Skeletron Prime, got him down to 600 health and for some reason he got right up in my grill with that spinning attack and I couldn't get away from him no matter how fast I went or where I maneuvered. That was after my buddy died to the game hiccuping. What a bunch of bullshit.

Dr Tasty fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 17, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Breaky posted:

Meteor strike?

quote:

16% of the world centered on your spawn point is protected from falling meteors. Also meteor won't fall within 25 blocks of a player, NPC or a chest.

So it ought not really be an issue.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.
Argh. Six hours of farming for a Rocket Launcher and nothing. It is dropped by Skeleton Commandos, right?

Also, how the hell are you supposed to get Rocket 4s? The Grim Reapers have swarmed me every eclipse, meaning visiting an NPC is basically insta-death for them, not really letting me shop.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

shymog posted:

Argh. Six hours of farming for a Rocket Launcher and nothing. It is dropped by Skeleton Commandos, right?

Also, how the hell are you supposed to get Rocket 4s? The Grim Reapers have swarmed me every eclipse, meaning visiting an NPC is basically insta-death for them, not really letting me shop.

Tactical skeletons too. I remember because that have such a cool name

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

shymog posted:

Build a sky hut for any NPC you want to shop from during eclipse.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Tactical skeletons too. I remember because that have such a cool name

Pretty sure it's from Commandos. Tactical skeletons drop tactical shotguns

dancingbears posted:

Build a sky hut for any NPC you want to shop from during eclipse.

Or underground! :eng101:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Sleepy Owl posted:

Pretty sure it's from Commandos. Tactical skeletons drop tactical shotguns

Not that it's always right (to say the least) but wiki agrees..
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Rocket_Launcher
http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Tactical_Skeleton

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

shymog posted:

Also, if you have the king statue you can rig it up somewhere safe and teleport NPCs to it till you get the cyborg.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zero Star posted:

How viable is it to make a small world solely for storing valuable equipment? The theory is that I can use my character's inventory as well as piggybanks to transfer items into a 'store' world, therefore leaving more space in my 'main' one. Is this something a lot of people find useful, or would I just be wasting my time?

It's viable, but vaguely annoying at times. I have one "main" world, the first I ever generated, grandly built up, where most of my treasure chests are. Then I have my adventure worlds, more sparsely decorated with tenements and more simple towers (Unholy Heights being an exception) for NPCs,

As mentioned, it's sort of annoying to swing into your storage world, drop several things off, gather some blocks for building, get into an adventure world, and realize "Oh, I forgot to drop off my dye items/pick up more red brick/buy wire/etc."

Plus I have more metal bars, ore, and gems scattered over five worlds than I could ever know what to do with. But that's mostly because I mine them even when I have no reason to.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It can get annoying but it's not a bad idea in theory. I guess keep whatever accessories and gear you use often in your piggy bank and safe.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Vib Rib posted:

Someone was asking about black dyes. I found a pretty good setup for a low-impact ocean farm. You'll need lihzard spear trap blocks, a one-second timer, and the neptune shell, but it works great. Holding a water candle won't show up visibly but the effect will stay. All the dyes, banners, and even pirate maps you could want.

Building it into the slope stops jellyfish from going too far, and will get enemies coming from the left to drop down to you. I got really lucky when I set mine up and, like in this screenshot, only really got enemies coming from the right side. Occasionally a mummy or zombie would wander in from the left but for the most part it was a constant parade of ocean enemies from the right. Start a local server and tab out if you want to idle and you'll have 50 inks and a dozen stacks of worthless glowsticks before you know it.
I hooked it up in sequence so the spears didn't go at the same time. If they do only one hits, this keeps a nice back and forth rhythm. You could probably use spiked balls but the lack of spread on the spears ensured I picked up items as they dropped, rather than just leaving them on the nearby ocean floor.

or you could just be a lazy jerk like me!

turtle armor, moon shell, regen ring, star/cross thing, and why the hell not, a lucky coin to make a little money on the side. I let this run overnight and have 200 squid ink and 40 purple mucous now.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

morcant posted:

Here's what our most recent updates look like:

For some reason, when it blizzards, it shows even indoors. :iiam:

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Turtle armor is pretty much the best way to go for afk farming if you can tank whatever it is you're farming. I got at least 2 of each key just from overnight turtle-farming. Find a spot that combines more than one biome, like a hallow/corrupt ice biome. You'll know it's hallow/corrupt if you get souls of light/night. I actually found a spot that was Jungle AND hallow AND corrupt and got several keys from each biome by afk-turtle farming while I was at work.

The setup is pretty simple. Put down 50 meteor blocks, dig a small 2-block wide hole, and pour 2 buckets of honey in. Immerse yourself in the honey to get free regen. Meteor heads will fly into you and die instantly. And you'll pick up the loot they drop without having to budge an inch. Make sure it's below ground otherwise you'll die as soon as there's a solar eclipse.

With a band of regeneration and some warding accessories, you'll be able to tank the meteor heads indefinitely. Other optimizations include filling up any nearby water holes to keep fish from spawning in them during blood moons.

As an aside, I loving love the Pygmy staff and the summon armor/accessories that go with it. The pygmy warriors are so loving ridiculous when combined with Golden Shower.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Vib Rib posted:

Someone was asking about black dyes. I found a pretty good setup for a low-impact ocean farm. You'll need lihzard spear trap blocks, a one-second timer, and the neptune shell, but it works great. ensured I picked up items as they dropped, rather than just leaving them on the nearby ocean floor.

You don't even need the neptune shell, just dig a few blocks down in that hole you're in and the water will drain down a bit, then grapple to the roof.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Kyrosiris posted:

Here's what our most recent updates look like:

For some reason, when it blizzards, it shows even indoors. :iiam:

To be fair. there's still one side of those buildings that are open [The area we're looking into.]

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Dr Tasty posted:

I can beat the destroyer easily enough with the nimbus staff and golden shower, but I tried duoing Skeletron Prime, got him down to 600 health and for some reason he got right up in my grill with that spinning attack and I couldn't get away from him no matter how fast I went or where I maneuvered. That was after my buddy died to the game hiccuping. What a bunch of bullshit.

When he killed you it had probably just changed to day (4:30 AM)

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Does anyone have a picture of good Truffle housing? I'm about to smash Plantera then go on another base upgrading spree, so I figured I may as well make a home for him at home finally.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just built a lovely little shack in the general vicinity of my glowing mushroom farm and he moved right in. As long as the background and music change to that trippy chill mushroom biome, you should be fine to attract a trippy chill mushroom man.

Hummingbirds posted:

When he killed you it had probably just changed to day (4:30 AM)

Yeah Skeletron Prime goes apeshit if you're still fighting him when dawn arrives.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Make him a shack out of mushrooms with mushroom walls and furniture.

By the way, glowing mushrooms are a structural building material now if you hadn't noticed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Haha the Scourge of the Corruptor is hilarious. With Frost Armor and the Cursed flame flask the Destroyer goes down really fast. Since it's melee it benefits from stuff like Ale too. Gonna try beating the Twins next(but with Turtle armor instead).

EDIT: I really wish the night requirement for summoning bosses would be removed. I can't count how many times I've wanted to fight a boss but realized it was 10 AM and had to wait 10 minutes.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 18, 2013

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Did I screw up? I'm trying to drain water back into the ocean that I took out, and it doesn't look like the water level is changing at all, I have both the inlet and the outlet connected to the same circuit and I have it all connected to a 1 second timer but, like I said the water level isn't changing at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a break in the wire somewhere?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Renzuko posted:

Did I screw up? I'm trying to drain water back into the ocean that I took out, and it doesn't look like the water level is changing at all, I have both the inlet and the outlet connected to the same circuit and I have it all connected to a 1 second timer but, like I said the water level isn't changing at all.

Is your outlet underwater?

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Is your outlet underwater?

No and no

the issue I seem to be having is the water level is 100% rising on the ocean side, but it isn't LOWERING on the other side, I put a wire at the level the water is at and waited a minute, the water didn't go down at all, but went UP on the ocean side.

outlet is 5 blocks above my "level" spot, the inlet is underwater and it's all connected to a switch and a 1 second timer.

edit - Never mind, figured it out I guess just had to partition the water every like, 200 blocks...

Renzuko fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 18, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
After over 190 hours in Terraria, tonight was the night I finally figured out how plants work. Close to being able to take the Wall down safely. Carved a couple surface-to-hell columns here and there. My base is floating over a wide enough gap to keep Hallow/Crimson from reaching it.

Also figured out how the pumps work. I made a lava generator! And it actually wasn't a headache! Terraria's wiring system is so much better than Minecraft's. Being able to just connect point A to point B, flip a switch, and boom your device works? That's nice.

Still need to set up some active stone doors, just in case anything jumps/flies over to my base. And maybe set up traps. I've been collecting them. Might go to the Dungeon and harvest some more. What's the purpose of dungeon spikes? Pure decoration? Do any enemies actually take damage from them?

Also, the smoke bombs you buy from the party girl - there any way to change their color? Seems like dye should work, but it doesn't. :(

Morshu
Sep 30, 2009

Attack monkey! Monkey attack!

If I recall when 1.2 first came out, it was bugged and launchers dropped from the tactical skeletons. They fixed it recently so commandos drop the launchers and tactical skeletons drop the shotgun.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Somehow got the piranha gun from a non-hardmode dungeon. As in, the world was still in easymode. Huh. This thing is incredible.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
You don't need to be in hardmode to get the chest items -- they spawn at world gen. You only need the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Ahhh that makes more sense. It was a jungle chest that I happened to have a key for. Thanks! I was confused.

• Locked thread