Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I saw these on facebook as the new officer insignia, does anyone know for sure?

2lt
Major
LCol

Seems to be various combinations of pips and crowns. I've already seen that silvery high visibility thread around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What the gently caress was wrong with bars, they were logical.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Canadian Forces: Sorry we can't approve your ILP this year we are needlessly updating rank insignia

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

It's easy to explain the current officer rank systems in terms of pasta, not entirely looking forward to explaining pips and crowns.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
No it makes perfect sense because...

Here's hoping they remember to make enough regimental slip ons. I had one goddamn slip on for four months that needed to be hot swapped between combat shirt and jacket/parka.

I've heard some of these changes for the sake of change are due to someone in high office - or a relative rather - being a military history :spergin:

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
This is the same stupid loving reason we lost beards and added the 'executive curl', why? Because gently caress, why not. :suicide:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

compressioncut posted:

I'm not trying to dash your hopes but now is no better a time that it's been in the past decade. Standards are still the same, failure rates are high in the initial phases (recruiting through Ph1). Probably actually higher, more Ph1 failures than there used to be.

What seem to be the most common reasons for people failing if you dont mind me asking?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Typically not paying attention is a big one. Know one that got failed because he let the airplane roll forward on post-landing checks, another (Ph2) that missed an altitude restriction on an approach plate. If I recall correctly, landings are the biggest single factor in Ph1, and it's hard to prepare for because the Grob lands much differently than a 172 or Katana or whatever.

Ph1 is a continuation of the selection phase, Ph2 is more like a real course that they want you to pass (more or less). I haven't paid a lot of attention to Ph3 stuff yet because it's a long way off - just that one course massacre Sir John mentioned. 8/10 failed I believe, but that's anamolous.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

compressioncut posted:

Typically not paying attention is a big one. Know one that got failed because he let the airplane roll forward on post-landing checks, another (Ph2) that missed an altitude restriction on an approach plate. If I recall correctly, landings are the biggest single factor in Ph1, and it's hard to prepare for because the Grob lands much differently than a 172 or Katana or whatever.

Ph1 is a continuation of the selection phase, Ph2 is more like a real course that they want you to pass (more or less). I haven't paid a lot of attention to Ph3 stuff yet because it's a long way off - just that one course massacre Sir John mentioned. 8/10 failed I believe, but that's anamolous.

Oh, that's a relief. I've always been pretty great at paying attention and following procedure. Although I guess most applicants think that.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
So bizarre to hear of military coursing where rigorous standards are upheld, as that's not been my experience (as an NCM) at all. Can't be spending money on training just to have people not pass! I imagine in this case exclusiveness vs the number of applicants grants this luxury.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

ub posted:

So bizarre to hear of military coursing where rigorous standards are upheld, as that's not been my experience (as an NCM) at all. Can't be spending money on training just to have people not pass! I imagine in this case exclusiveness vs the number of applicants grants this luxury.

Which is exactly why they're volunteering people for the SAC course. Numbers.

When I went through it, it was still something you had to want to do. Now they just tell people "It'll look good on your PER, go be a SAC".

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

Ruse posted:

Which is exactly why they're volunteering people for the SAC course. Numbers.

When I went through it, it was still something you had to want to do. Now they just tell people "It'll look good on your PER, go be a SAC".

Yeah, the SAC course was the one exception where people had to pass legit because safety. But, seeing some of the people that have come through in the past couple years you gotta know something's up. Taking tactical away from the course was a poor move (even more so for our QL3s though, goddrat).

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

ub posted:

Really? Where have you experienced this? I have seen many people fail off of NCM courses. Or get booted.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm still waiting for those magical brown boots I was promised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbJueEcQ-o4

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
I've seen one guy with the cadpat boots once. He was far from me and he looked like had no feet and floating.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It still blows my mind that the Canadian Forces has billions of dollars to spend on useless untested fighter aircraft but STILL can't get a simple loving boot that doesn't break ankles or fall apart.

IT'S A BOOT. PEOPLE HAVE WORN BOOTS FOR CENTURIES. YOU PUT IT ON YOUR FEET.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
Yeah I have to replace mine pretty soon the right sole is flapping in the wind...I have it jury rigged with nails just so I don't feel like such a hobo.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

How long until those nails dig into your heels?

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008
They are poking out behind the heel actually...give an amateur cobbler some credit.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

I have that first desert boot he showed. It was pretty great, never thought about me feet my entire time over there. Though after 6 months they had to go in the garbage.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

MA-Horus posted:

It still blows my mind that the Canadian Forces has billions of dollars to spend on useless untested fighter aircraft but STILL can't get a simple loving boot that doesn't break ankles or fall apart.

IT'S A BOOT. PEOPLE HAVE WORN BOOTS FOR CENTURIES. YOU PUT IT ON YOUR FEET.

"Nonsense they made my career miserable and it's my godgiven right as a senior NCM to ensure your life is miserable too"

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

flakeloaf posted:

"Nonsense they made my career miserable and it's my godgiven right as a senior NCM to ensure your life is miserable too"

And the circle of life continues

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Today I walked into a Brigadier General (we were both in Uniform). I instinctively replied, "Sorry Bro" and continued on my way.

Nothing happened.

Ottawa owns.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Hizawk posted:

Today I walked into a Brigadier General (we were both in Uniform). I instinctively replied, "Sorry Bro" and continued on my way.

Nothing happened.

Ottawa owns.

Enjoy your next posting to Alert.

Or Wainwright.

Kinda the same thing really.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'd rather go to Alert, at least they give you extra money and a medal for your suffering.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Hey I'm in the Wainwright training area right now and I can say with full confidence that it's a poo poo ton better than Gagetown.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Hizawk posted:

Nothing happened.

Ottawa owns.

Bro-gadier General

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu posted:

Hey I'm in the Wainwright training area right now and I can say with full confidence that it's a poo poo ton better than Gagetown.

The fact that you can post this proves it.

gently caress Gagetown.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Could've been Shilo.

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing

Hizawk posted:

Nothing happened.

Ottawa owns.

It's usually the people around the big G that would jack you up, was he alone?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

mdivi posted:

It's usually the people around the big G that would jack you up, was he alone?

One time I saw a major general all by his lonesome jack up somebody because that somebody (not me) did not salute him. Though to be fair, the old-rear end CADPAT epaulettes were kinda hard to pick out until it was already too late.

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Hizawk posted:

Nothing happened.

Ottawa owns.

I once forgot to salute the CDS and nothing came of it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

scaper exile posted:

I once forgot to salute the CDS and nothing came of it.

Which one was it? Some were cooler than others (and I think I still have a picture of general Hillier giving somebody a headlock in mess dress to prove it).

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

The disconnect between senior officers and the lower ranks is so vast, I'm surprised some of them remember they're in the military at all.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Guest2553 posted:

Which one was it? Some were cooler than others (and I think I still have a picture of general Hillier giving somebody a headlock in mess dress to prove it).

Hillier was like our version of Mattis. Except a little less "hoorah devil dog i am begging you if you gently caress with me I will kill you all"

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

MA-Horus posted:

Hillier was like our version of Mattis. Except a little less "hoorah devil dog i am begging you if you gently caress with me I will kill you all"

I met him once at a diner held by the 78th Fraser Highlanders, he seemed like a pretty cool dude.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I met him briefly in Sudan when he ditched most of his PSD team to talk to us air folks and MP Corporals.

"Hi, I'm Rick."
"Erm... if you say so, Sir."

scaper exile
Feb 27, 2008

Guest2553 posted:

Natynczyk...also a pretty swell guy.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Aug 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I'm applying to be a legal officer which is a purple trade so I get to choose my colors. Which working uniform is the best?