Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nately posted:

Is there an article out there by Mushnick praising Brett Favre for his grit and determination for playing after his Dad's death? There must be, right?

"Favre's resilient dispersal of penis photographs is yet another sterling showcase of the rugged, gritty quarterback's unrelenting desire to emerge victorious at any cost."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

DasNasty posted:

Well if you are a godawful beatwriter you might as well try to be a massive scumbag, any attention is good attention right?
Mushnick isn't a beat writer. He trolls media members and likes to point out hypocrisy in hilariously misguided old white man fashion.

Mushnick posted:

As long as the Nets are allowing Jay-Z to call their marketing shots -- what a shock that he chose black and white as the new team colors to stress, as the Nets explained, their new "urban" home -- why not have him apply the full Jay-Z treatment?

Why the Brooklyn Nets when they can be the New York N------s? The cheerleaders could be the Brooklyn B----hes or Hoes. Team logo? A 9 mm with hollow-tip shell casings strewn beneath. Wanna be Jay-Z hip? Then go all the way!

Mushnick Response posted:

Such obvious, wishful and ignorant mischaracterizations of what I write are common. I don't call black men the N-word; I don't regard young women as bitches and whores; I don't glorify the use of assault weapons and drugs. Jay-Z, on the other hand.....Is he the only NBA owner allowed to call black men N---ers?"

Jay-Z profits from the worst and most sustaining self-enslaving stereotypes of black-American culture and I'M the racist? Some truths, I guess, are just hard to read, let alone think about.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ozu posted:

Mushnick isn't a beat writer. He trolls media members and likes to point out hypocrisy in hilariously misguided old white man fashion.

:stare:

He's not even trying to be subtle with his racism. This is a straight-up Freeper post.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

For as lovely as that ADP article is, I really liked this quote from the last segment.

“Bottom Line repeatedly reported: “Missouri QB James Franklin (separated shoulder) out for regular season after leaving in 4th quarter, according to ESPN and media reports. Injury earlier reported by CBSports.com.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rick Reilly still on TV. Good job ESPN.

Is that little throwaway non-apology really the only thing that's going to come out of that?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Grittybeard posted:

Is that little throwaway non-apology really the only thing that's going to come out of that?

As if it ever wasn't going to be it. Come on, we know ESPN, he was always just going to issue a little twitter-pology and get on with things. It might have had a chance in the offseason with less to talk about, but still no chance.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm definitely done with ESPN for good, then. Going to warn my parents off it too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The ridiculousness of the headline and whole article actually got a laugh out of me:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/backstreet-boy-wants-way-fire-183030956--nfl.html

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

swickles posted:

The ridiculousness of the headline and whole article actually got a laugh out of me:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/backstreet-boy-wants-way-fire-183030956--nfl.html

Yeah, in a world of mostly poo poo, at least that is entertaining. And unlike most stories, it's actually technically news. It's not somebody's subjective opinion on something intangible.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
The NY Daily News has some strong feeling on the Redskins name

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

agreed

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
god drat their cartoonist is good...i would almost swear those are just three .pngs lined up

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

Rap posted:

god drat their cartoonist is good...i would almost swear those are just three .pngs lined up

Not a bad paycheck for 30 seconds of work.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

PendingForaBending posted:

Not a bad paycheck for 30 seconds of work.

Check his other work, this is probably the most effort he's put in in ages.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

That's a bit hyperboley

seniorservice
Jun 18, 2004

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!
Has anyone mentioned how awesome Bill Barnwell from Grantland's thank you for not coaching column is? Because it's the poo poo and the poop

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Bill Barnwell's columns are awesome. He repeats the same points a lot, but overall I really enjoy his work. I wish I could like his podcast, but he tries too hard to be funny when he is absolutely not funny at all. Every one of his jokes makes me groan. Of course I still listen to every episode but it would be 5x as good if Barnwell never tried to make a joke again.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I loving love Ross Tucker and his awkward attempts to link advertising to what he's talking about with relation to football. It's even more glorious because you can tell he hates it but kinda loves doing it at the same time.

Also he's pretty funny.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

seniorservice posted:

Has anyone mentioned how awesome Bill Barnwell from Grantland's thank you for not coaching column is? Because it's the poo poo and the poop

Bill Barnwell is basically everything Easterbrook wishes he could be.

/writes game over in notebook

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sir that's gross

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

What does he have against Jews?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rooting for Notre Dame. First time for everything.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Get it, because Juilliard is a performing arts school and doesn't have sports teams, and Rick Reilly truly should die in a fire

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'm about to have fun on Twitter with the hashtag #Reillyreporting feel free to join me, a professional jokeman

midwat
May 6, 2007

Someone should do a breakdown of what Reilly makes per bad joke.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rap posted:

That wasn't their regular cartoonist

Parlett316 posted:

Phil Mushnick, has he continued his war against Pro Wrestling that he carried through the 90s?

Last time I read him a few years ago he brought up the XFL like it still meant something.

Also, I heard ex-ESPN commentator and failed attempted Rams owner Rush Limbaugh heap wide praise for that Mushnick column. That is all.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Too bad Rush didn't croak when he had those chest pains awhile back.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris Gaines posted:

Too bad Rush didn't croak when he had those chest pains awhile back.

Or when he had that drug addiction for over a decade whilst acting like drug addicts are sub-human filth.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

Well at least ESPN learned something from the whole thi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLc1U82KZk

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Or when he had that drug addiction for over a decade whilst acting like drug addicts are sub-human filth.

Or this could fall firmly into "takes one to know one" territory.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Did Bill Murray hurl a spear into a crowd of students at Game Day?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Haven't official Seminole leaders actually come out in support of FSU using their name though? Like that's why Chief Osceola is still a thing in the first place.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, the current FSU mascot was created with the assistance of the Seminole Tribe of Florida, and it makes an effort to be respectful. Not all Seminoles are happy, though. There's also the awkward fact that the original Osceola went to war against the United States and was only "defeated" when the U.S. Army imprisoned him during peace talks, which is a dirty trick at best.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Haven't official Seminole leaders actually come out in support of FSU using their name though? Like that's why Chief Osceola is still a thing in the first place.
I don't have an issue with the name of the team, I'm just saying that a white guy in a native american outfit wearing war paint, dancing around going 'oogachaka' as the crowd is doing a war chant and tomahawk chop while the other white guys at the desk are laughing, planned and prepared by the network that just came under fire for standing by Rick Reilly who said "I wasn't wrong, My dad is just lying about being offended by stereotypical depictions of native americans, okay", MIGHT be perhaps not the best idea

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 19, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

They have. They also get a percentage of royalties on merchandise and such, so that helps too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don't have an issue with the name of the team, I'm just saying that a white guy in a native american outfit wearing war paint, dancing around going 'oogachaka' as the crowd is doing a war chant and tomahawk chop while the other white guys at the desk are laughing, planned and prepared by the network that just came under fire for standing by Rick Reilly who said "I wasn't wrong, My dad is just lying about being offended by stereotypical depictions of native americans, okay", MIGHT be perhaps not the best idea
Fair enough. It was definitely running through my mind as it happened, but I was more focused on Bill Murray wrestling him to the ground.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

They have. They also get a percentage of royalties on merchandise and such, so that helps too.

And a certain number of Seminole Indians get scholarships to FSU every year. You can rag on FSU for a lot of stuff but certainly not the Seminole stuff

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

Bill Barnwell's columns are awesome. He repeats the same points a lot, but overall I really enjoy his work. I wish I could like his podcast, but he tries too hard to be funny when he is absolutely not funny at all. Every one of his jokes makes me groan. Of course I still listen to every episode but it would be 5x as good if Barnwell never tried to make a joke again.

I've never noticed any terrible joke-telling, but it's probably because I'm just so happy to have a reliably good NFL podcast to listen to twice a week.

Bill Barnwell, Mike Tanier, really any Football Outsider alum (and of course FO itself) are the only guys I read these days.

"Word of Muth" by Ben Muth on FO is a fantastic weekly column that talks about offensive line play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bill Barnwell dropped a totally unnecessary Q and Not U reference in a column last week and I don't know if it was great or just stupid. Which is how I feel about Simmonsian writing in general.

• Locked thread