Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Hey Nyquil, my parents have named one of the dog's chew toys "Obama"

It's a stuffed monkey.

Your parents sound like an absolute delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

nyquil hangover posted:

Sitting there awkwardly while a bunch of old people circlejerk about how entitled this generation is and how the president is an atheist Muslim is the worst part of Thanksgiving.

Homeless Man: Got any spare change, man?

Grandpa Simpson: Yeah, and you ain't gettin' it. Everyone wants something for nothing!

[walks into social security office]

I'M OLD. GIMME GIMME GIMME!

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Rorus Raz posted:

Hey Nyquil, my parents have named one of the dog's chew toys "Obama"

It's a stuffed monkey.

I used to work the front desk at a high end hotel. About a year ago some rich rear end in a top hat came in with his black dog. He had named him "Mr. President." He kept saying it loudly and thought he was hilarious, he was judging my reactions. I remember sending laser beams of pure hate out of my eyes.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Now, now, that's not fair. They got a dam in Kentucky, or as another poster put it: All the GOP got out of the shutdown was clean energy and government jobs.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Alex DeLarge posted:

I used to work the front desk at a high end hotel. About a year ago some rich rear end in a top hat came in with his black dog. He had named him "Mr. President." He kept saying it loudly and thought he was hilarious, he was judging my reactions. I remember sending laser beams of pure hate out of my eyes.

My parents have a cat named George Herbert Walker. He's kind of an rear end in a top hat, even by cat standards.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

comes along bort posted:

My parents have a cat named George Herbert Walker. He's kind of an rear end in a top hat, even by cat standards.

I didn't realize we were judging people by cat standards now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Listerine posted:

This is terribly lazy of me but I'm really behind on a lecture and don't have time to dig up the details: was the vote the other night to fund the government in the end good for which party? Can anyone give a quick 2-line summary of how things worked out?

In addition to what Zuhzuhzombie!! posted, it was good for everyone. The United States being able to pay its bills and maintain their credit rating is good for everyone all around, which is why I knew the default would never happen. Republicans have just as many savings accounts, homes, mortgages, retirement savings, credit cards, loans, stocks and everything else that there's no way they'd snap their collective spines just to gently caress themselves in their own asses and suck their own dicks.

Good on Obama for not caving for once.

ReidRansom posted:

Lol while I was at the gym I saw that Fox mistakenly reported some congressman's death.

Can you elaborate on this or link it?

Alex DeLarge posted:

I always read your posts in the voice of the dude from The Wire in your avatar and now I'm picturing you reacting to this anecdote as that character and it's cracking me up. Did you murder him with the laser beams?

Yeah. *sigh* Monkey chew toys and black dogs being used to make jokes. No racism here, sir. None at all.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 17, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
If I had to sum up the whole thing in a concise, if not 100% accurate way:

House Republicans refused to vote on a budget unless Obamacare was defunded, held their ground all the way to a government shutdown over it, withdrew their demand when it polled terribly and couldn't agree on what to demand after that, floundered trying to find ANYTHING they could all agree to vote for, then the Senate bailed them out and we all ended up with a few months of gov't funding, a few months of debt cieling lift and a budget conference demanded by law. The GOP got gently caress all but an extremely bad reputation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The GOP got gently caress all but an extremely bad reputation.

This is all because of the way the media reported it and covered it, you see.

Rush said so today. He actually said conservatives can't get media coverage to get their message out and that if they call a press conference, no one shows up. Which is strange because because I see Ted Cruz, Bachmann, Cantor, Graham and every other right wing lunatic I can think of all the time all over cable news and the Sunday morning talk shows.

CNN and even NPR have bent over backwards to present this as a "both sides are to blame" argument so give me a motherfucking break here.

THE BOMBINATRIX
Jul 26, 2002

by Lowtax

BiggerBoat posted:

I always read your posts in the voice of the dude from The Wire in your avatar and now I'm picturing you reacting to this anecdote as that character and it's cracking me up. Did you murder him with the laser beams?

Ha, yeah Brother Mouzone is a scary dude. All he'd have to do is fold his arms and people knew he meant business. Unfortunately, no. I did not laser eye murder him. I did however switch his room to the smallest one in the hotel, one with a luxurious view of a HVAC unit.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Can you elaborate on this or link it?

Probably referring to this: Fox's Gretchen Carlson Mistakenly Reports Death Of Rep. CW Bill Young

BiggerBoat posted:

CNN and even NPR have bent over backwards to present this as a "both sides are to blame" argument so give me a motherfucking break here.

Speaking of which, CNN has a new front-page article up describing the "Winners and Losers" of the whole shutdown/debt ceiling thing. Of course, it lists both Obama and Boehner as "losers" because they "were unable to usher negotiations through the finish line". :rolleyes:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If I had to sum up the whole thing in a concise, if not 100% accurate way:

House Republicans refused to vote on a budget unless Obamacare was defunded, held their ground all the way to a government shutdown over it, withdrew their demand when it polled terribly and couldn't agree on what to demand after that, floundered trying to find ANYTHING they could all agree to vote for, then the Senate bailed them out and we all ended up with a few months of gov't funding, a few months of debt cieling lift and a budget conference demanded by law. The GOP got gently caress all but an extremely bad reputation.

And we get to do it again in something like six months.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

Now, now, that's not fair. They got a dam in Kentucky, or as another poster put it: All the GOP got out of the shutdown was clean energy and government jobs.

Yes, there's exactly one Republican who "got something" out of the shutdown, and that's because someone interested in good old-fashioned patronage and earmarks is a lot easier to satisfy than someone out for more nebulous ideological visions. If anything, buying off McConnell is the best argument I've seen for bringing back earmarks and the associated sleaze. Ethics reform, along with gerrymandering, is one of the roots of the destruction of leadership power: Boehner has lost most of his ability to buy off rebellious members of his caucus because earmarks aren't his to give away and has lost the ability to withhold funding for their reelection because they have no need for funding because their district is R+25.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

But but but because they present both sides and not only the obvious offenderGOP's its not fair you see! Fox News and AM talk radio told me so ....

All I can say is I'm done seeing Ted Cruz for awhile. Even C-Span seemed to be his poo poo on a loop.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
I really wish Fox News kept hammering the "slimdown" angle, if only for a headline that reads: CBO Estimates Government Slimdown Costs At $25 Billion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wonder how much Obama derangement syndrome is due to him following GWB. Bush was basically an Obama analogue for them, he was their man after 8 years of terrible Clinton-esque prosperity, and beyond that after 9/11 he was some kind of conservative god-head who could compel you to do anything because otherwise you'd be a terrorist. Then they had to live through basically an entire term where he was (rightfully) tore down, exposed and saddled with the title of one of the worst presidents we've ever had.

I think they are just absolutely desperate to see a Democratic president go through the same thing and they're freaking the gently caress out because times running low and there's nothing on the level of Iraq to pin on him.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Radio Nowhere posted:

All I can say is I'm done seeing Ted Cruz for awhile.

I doubt it. I think if anything you'll be seeing more of him.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think they are just absolutely desperate to see a Democratic president go through the same thing and they're freaking the gently caress out because times running low and there's nothing on the level of Iraq to pin on him.

Well put. They've been pining for that since Nixon was impeached. What the GOP wouldn't give to unearth a sex scandal with Obama or something like it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 17, 2013

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Steve Forbes is on Fox News crying "geez guys you don't have to be so mean about winning this shutdown battle."

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

Star Man posted:

Steve Forbes is on Fox News crying "geez guys you don't have to be so mean about winning this shutdown battle."

We don't have to be, but doggone if it don't feel good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think this is exactly what's going on. I've heard many conservatives complain about Obama's treatment by the press in comparison to Bush's, how they tore Bush apart and mollycoddle Obama. They either get flustered or ramble through the list of not-scandals when you remind them that Bush was the press's golden child until it was clear that invading Iraq was a tragic farce of epic proportions.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
A couple more things that stood out from yesterday's Limbaugh broadcast:
Rush spent a few minutes opining on America's obsession with victimization. The projection here is ridiculous. The right-wing media persists because of their incessant persecution complex.
Rush also read a DailyKos diary entry where the author was charged a higher price for insurance. Rush goes so far as to outright say that Obama and the Democratic party own the private insurance market :laugh:

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I caught about 15 minutes of his poo poo today.

I'm actually anxious to check out FOX, Rush and everyone else to see how they spin this today. From what I gathered of the little bit I heard of Limbaugh, this is a great Republican victory and Ted Cruz is firmly cemented as the New Torch Bearer. "Imagine if we had 10 or 15 Ted Cruz's", Rush said.
Haha, yeah Rush wants 45 of them. Reason enough to ban human cloning, right there!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

nyquil hangover posted:

I hope they don't make the dog watch Fox :smith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtyDPGbLD4

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

This is all because of the way the media reported it and covered it, you see.

Rush said so today. He actually said conservatives can't get media coverage to get their message out and that if they call a press conference, no one shows up. Which is strange because because I see Ted Cruz, Bachmann, Cantor, Graham and every other right wing lunatic I can think of all the time all over cable news and the Sunday morning talk shows.

Yep. Chuck Todd said it's not the job of journalists to fact check politicans, so actually the GOP needs to step it up and lie better. Don't just say it's the liberal media's fault; feel it. Own it. Be it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hannity was talking to Coulter and she said we can't trust the polls on the GOP because they only polled adults. I...don't exactly understand what she means by this. Are the elderly not adults anymore, or are minors suddenly a major voting block? Maybe I missed something in there.

Oh, and within five minutes of that she treated Obama's poll numbers as absolute truth :v:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Holy gently caress

quote:

A Fox News guest said that a Missouri teen who says she was raped by a classmate was asking for it by going out late at night. He also accused her of lying.

“What did she expect to happen at one in the morning after sneaking out?” attorney Joseph DiBenedetto said on Shephard Smith Reports. “I’m not saying — assuming that these facts are accurate and this did happen — I’m not saying she deserved to be raped, but knowing the facts as we do here including what the prosecutor has set forth, this case is going nowhere and it's going nowhere quick.”

Shep Smith immediately jumped in and refuted his claims.

“What you’ve done, Joseph, is taken an alleged victim of rape and turned her into a liar and a crime committer,” he said. “That’s a far jump from a 1,000 miles away."

Further proof Shep is the only bright light in that dim news organization

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/joseph-dibenedetto-rape-missouri-teen_n_4118899.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Shep Smith is actually pretty well liked in this thread since he only sold his soul, not he sold his soul and is a shill.

He's the closest thing to a real journalist on Fox News.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Phone posted:

Shep Smith is actually pretty well liked in this thread since he only sold his soul, not he sold his soul and is a shill.

He's like the guy in Hitler's bunker going, "The Gypsies too, though?"

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Don't they have that one online columnist who is generally surprisingly liberal? Cannot recall the name at the moment.

Every once in a while you see an article tucked waaaay back from the front page with a headline like "How the Tea Party is destroying America" or something and be like "what?" then you see it's that writer. Don't know why they're there.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Holy gently caress

Further proof Shep is the only bright light in that dim news organization

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/joseph-dibenedetto-rape-missouri-teen_n_4118899.html

gently caress that sleazy lawyer for implying that this girl has something to hide because she invoked her Fifth Amendment rights.

Grunewald v. United States, 353 U.S. 391 posted:

We need not tarry long to reiterate our view that, as the two courts below held, no implication of guilt could be drawn from Halperin's invocation of his Fifth Amendment privilege before the grand jury. Recent reexamination of the history and meaning of the Fifth Amendment has emphasized anew that one of the basic functions of the privilege is to protect innocent men.

Slochower v. Board of Higher Education, 350 U. S. 551 posted:

The privilege serves to protect the innocent who otherwise might be ensnared by ambiguous circumstances.

Gawd. Ugh. Get hosed, you terrible terrible person.

fake edit:

Wikipedia posted:

The son of two Italian immigrants, DiBenedetto credits his parents’ hardships and language barriers as the driving force in his decision to become a lawyer. He wanted to speak for people unable to speak for themselves.

:vd:

pig slut lisa fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 18, 2013

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Phone posted:

Shep Smith is the guy in a Lovecraft slowly being driven to madness by the horror he cannot escape.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
So I was checking the usual stations while I was driving this evening, hoping to here some tears or rage over the shutdown failure, but everyone had been preempted by sports. Fitting that the day after the Republicans lose, their mouthpieces had been sidelined for college basketball. Happens a lot on the west coast that east coast games are starting up during the evening commute.

So I start scanning through the AM band hoping for some Levin or Hannity, and I stumble upon

Hebrew Nation Radio

and the current show was Mark Call, who was spinning some sort of Old Testament backing for Sovereign Citizens. Contracts and agreements, slaves of The State stuck in The Matrix, fiat money and the Biblical definitions of weights and measures, a Texan with a homemade license plate, and dropping 'Babylon' and 'Jah' like a Rastafarian.

Jump to 35:00 for the Sovereign Citizen chat
http://hebrewnationonline.com/blog/come-out-of-her-my-people-show-mark-call-weekly-8/

Did you know that jails are a pagan institution?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Phone posted:

Fox (or hell, any other news network) would do very well to hire Robert Costa as a Congressional reporter. Then again, given the backlash he received from tea partiers for not garnishing his reports with positive spin, he might not be a good fit.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

surrender posted:

Fox (or hell, any other news network) would do very well to hire Robert Costa as a Congressional reporter. Then again, given the backlash he received from tea partiers for not garnishing his reports with positive spin, he might not be a good fit.

I think Costa is CNBC's guy on the Hill, which means he's on MSNBC 3 or 4x a day when stuff like the shutdown is going on.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Guess it was only a matter of time before people started digging up dirt on Ted Cruz:

http://swampland.time.com/2013/10/18/ted-cruz-failed-to-disclose-ties-to-jamaican-holding-company/?hpt=hp_t2

I haven't really looked into him too much, but I didn't know his wife was served under Bush and was a Goldman Sachs exec.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

quote:

Cruz says he failed to include the promissory note among his assets on his first financial disclosure in July 2012 when he was a candidate for the U.S. Senate because he had forgotten about it. “In 2011, there was an inadvertent omission of this promissory note, and after a conversation with my college roommate I remembered it,” Cruz says. Cruz’s initial filing was made in the heat of his campaign. He was fined $200 for filing the document late.

Oops, I just totally forgot about $75,000. Oh, to be rich :allears:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Homeless Man: Got any spare change, man?

Grandpa Simpson: Yeah, and you ain't gettin' it. Everyone wants something for nothing!

[walks into social security office]

I'M OLD. GIMME GIMME GIMME!

I really hate this meme. It is assumed that Grandpa Simpson worked and paid into the SS program. It is NOT a handout.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

anonumos posted:

I really hate this meme. It is assumed that Grandpa Simpson worked and paid into the SS program. It is NOT a handout.

But he feels entitled to it because he is elderly and no longer able to work as hard.

How do you feel about disabled people collecting social security? They often get more out of it then they ever put it.

The framing of Social Security as a kind of mandatory savings account is the exact kind of Right Wing messaging we are talking about. You pay into it not to get your money back; but to support others and to have some peace of mind that disability and old age isn't a ticket to die in the gutter.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

anonumos posted:

And doesn't this logic apply to most other government programs as well, for anyone who has ever paid their taxes?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ponzicar posted:

And doesn't this logic apply to most other government programs as well, for anyone who has ever paid their taxes?

That homeless guy has never worked or bought anything in his entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

anonumos posted:

Social Security is not something you "pay into" with the expectation that you'll "get it back", it's an intergenerational transfer system to provide a basic level of stability for the elderly.

EDIT: Beaten, that'll tech me not to leave tabs idle.