Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
So, I know nothing about economics, but I'm curious; if it's possible, how hard would it be to simulate a stock market crash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Kumaton posted:

So, I know nothing about economics, but I'm curious; if it's possible, how hard would it be to simulate a stock market crash?

Do you mean by Rockstar or via player actions?

Frankly I'd like to see the algorithms they use to build Bawsaq around and why in the world some stocks like the Daily Globe are worth $2,000 a share while Pisswasser can get to 10 cents.

I mean really, who buys newspaper stocks?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Pook Good Mook posted:

Do you mean by Rockstar or via player actions?

Frankly I'd like to see the algorithms they use to build Bawsaq around and why in the world some stocks like the Daily Globe are worth $2,000 a share while Pisswasser can get to 10 cents.

I mean really, who buys newspaper stocks?

The algorithm is a chron job on the server that increments and decrements stocks every day.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Has anyone successfully landed a jumbo jet? I can successfully get out of the airport with one, but for some reason the engines just give out before I can get to the sandy shores airfield.

Has anyone stolen a cargo plane from the military base?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Please don't tell me I have to complete all of flight school in order to progress with Michael?

What is it with game designers that think we like flying through rings?

Hey jim?
Yea bob?
You know what the guys that play action games love? Boring instructional flight schools where they fly to rings!
Yea! And we won't let them continue to game until they complete it because that kind of stuff is really fun! I mean, the internet talks about Superman 64 all the time, so they gotta love it!

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Nope, I didn't even touch flight school until I finished the story.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

more friedman units posted:

Nope, I didn't even touch flight school until I finished the story.

Michael has no missions, and an email from Trevor telling him to go to flight school, so I figured that I had to do that. Good.

Also, killing Beverly after he tells you to gently caress off is pretty fun.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I figured you were just supposed to beat him up. He's so despicable that had I known you could kill him, I would've.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I figured you were just supposed to beat him up. He's so despicable that had I known you could kill him, I would've.

For future reference, because these things will come up again, if the icon on the minimap is flashing red and blue, it means the game is letting you make the call between killing them or not. This applies to things like muggers; you can either taze them or whack them until they drop it, or just murder them. It also applies to certain characters, usually at the end of their storylines.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I can't buy the hanger with either Franklin or Michael. Prompts me to buy it, prompts to confirm....and nothing happens. Known bug?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wound up finishing flight school up to the helicopter as it was easy enough to that point, but then quit as that thing was loving impossible to actually complete under the time limit. Michael's flight stat still wound up maxed out, and I think Trevor made a snide comment about kinda sorta finishing things, but that was it.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I thought getting every gold medal in flight school was easy enough despite being awful at it in San Andreas. :shrug:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
They make the snide comments regardless. I had Franklin had his shooting skill maxed out, used my slow drive by ability on the gangs, popped them one by one with just a few shots and Michael still thinks I was shooting all over the place.

It's really just the games way of going hey there is a flying school or shooting gallery you can go to. Because let's face it pubs probably don't go run around exploring.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

smallmouth posted:

Has anyone successfully landed a jumbo jet? I can successfully get out of the airport with one, but for some reason the engines just give out before I can get to the sandy shores airfield.

Has anyone stolen a cargo plane from the military base?
I took off with the jumbo jet, did a tour around the island, flew back to the airport, carefully aligned and touched down, and as I was decelerating the game spawned a landing Learjet behind me, exploding us both :argh:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Please don't tell me I have to complete all of flight school in order to progress with Michael?

What is it with game designers that think we like flying through rings?

Hey jim?
Yea bob?
You know what the guys that play action games love? Boring instructional flight schools where they fly to rings!
Yea! And we won't let them continue to game until they complete it because that kind of stuff is really fun! I mean, the internet talks about Superman 64 all the time, so they gotta love it!

They really didn't balance the difficulty curve in the helicopter missions. Especially as the time includes landing it.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

DeathChicken posted:

I wound up finishing flight school up to the helicopter as it was easy enough to that point, but then quit as that thing was loving impossible to actually complete under the time limit. Michael's flight stat still wound up maxed out, and I think Trevor made a snide comment about kinda sorta finishing things, but that was it.

I dunno, it took me a couple of passes but I was able to do it. I think the helicopter stuff is kind of arbitrary in a way. I pretty much had to crash the drat thing to finish on time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I tried to gold the chopper lessons, but I gave up after wasting way too much time.

After flying choppers a lot in multiplayer, I tried the flight school lessons again and aced them both immediately. I’ll grant that the time was close on the last one, but I set her down gently.

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Tonight I was doing hunting with Trevor and wonders what would happen if i texted the pics of my kills to everyone in my phone.

They all have unique, hilarious, and character consistent responses!

How do you text other characters? Seems like all you can do is call them.

Edit: I'm an idiot. You can send pictures when you're hunting.

Bachelor Numpad fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 18, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bachelor Numpad posted:

How do you text other characters? Seems like all you can do is call them.

When you take a photo for certain missions, including the hunting activity, you’re prompted for a contact to send the photo to.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Switching to the overhead view makes landing the helicopters much easier.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
To be honest, I found the flight school pretty simple for the most part. Then again, I wasn't trying to get gold on all of them or anything (is there actually a reward for doing so, barring... erm, Social Club leaderboard boasting? It was kind of, sort of worth it in San Andreas if you really wanted the Apache, but even then there was an easily exploitable quirk to get one anyway). I think the key thing to remember if you're having any issues related to flying in V is to use the rudder (the bumpers). In San Andreas it was fine and dandy to swoop all over the place by shifting the aircraft with the joystick, now you have to get a feel for what moves the thing and how, but it's not really that difficult to me at least. I will concede that the turbulence gimmick is a little overplayed at times though.

But yes, the important thing is that it's not at all required unless you want that 100% completion. You also don't have to deal with James Woods being annoying if you decide you can't be bothered with it.

Nibbles141 posted:

I can't buy the hanger with either Franklin or Michael. Prompts me to buy it, prompts to confirm....and nothing happens. Known bug?

I had this issue when trying to buy a marina slip with Franklin after having already bought one as Michael. I started it up again later, tried again and that time it worked! I can't offer anything beyond "try again sometime" unfortunately. Also maybe give it a second or two after you press the confirm button because it seems to need a bit of time to process it. Otherwise let Rockstar know?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nibbles141 posted:

Same problem here, on 360, buying several properties after the game is over. Haven't found a workaround yet, so a few are taunting me.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Scorched Spitz posted:

I thought getting every gold medal in flight school was easy enough despite being awful at it in San Andreas. :shrug:

Easy compared to pilotwings, which is basically an entire game of flight school. I knew I didn't waste my time in the nineties.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

There's another patch live now, 1.04. 39MB. No patch notes yet, but apparently it adds in the functionality for Rockstar to give us our free $500k in Online and also lessens the payouts for a lot of Online missions :smithicide:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I had the same thing happening. Couldn't buy a helipad near the marina with Michael. No idea why, I'll try again tonight. But I just stole a helicopter that was there and forgot about it :v:

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

wooger posted:

Easy compared to pilotwings, which is basically an entire game of flight school. I knew I didn't waste my time in the nineties.

Guess that's why I'm not all that bothered by the helicopters in this game. Except Cargobob, which looks massive but moves like it's made out of paper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Cargobob, how do you get it out of the base? I managed to do it only by getting out and shooting the chopper that comes after you with the sniper rifle. This is after trying to outrun it about 20 times and getting shot down.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Flying as low as possible and going around the coast similar to the earlier flight mission with Ron got the choppers off me very quickly.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Flying as low as possible and going around the coast similar to the earlier flight mission with Ron got the choppers off me very quickly.

I'll have to try this because it seems no matter what I do that after a certain point the Apache (or whatever it's called) always seems to land two incredibly pinpointed missiles after like 2 or 3 minutes. Like the mission has reached a checkpoint.

Dumb question but is it possible to clear the base and destroy the attack chopper on the ground? I bet it just spawns new army men's/choppers anyway for the mission.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

GTA 5's flight school was a walk in the park compared to San Andreas, it didn't take me longer than an hour to get gold on everything. The chopper missions were the hardest part, easily. The key is to keep moving forward, minimize chopper wobble, and approach the landing zone slightly from the right so that you can get a visual on it once you get past the airport building. If RNG forces you to do this in the rain you should just give up and come back another day.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

wooger posted:

This game. This game right here. I remember loading up the mini USA map and flying around til I ran outta gas. Edit: Oh god I'm thinking of the wrong game. Double edit: Pilot wings 64

OT: I just finished Trevors mission where he flies a crop duster into the military cargo plane. I am getting very sick of not being payed. When can I get payed?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

This game. This game right here. I remember loading up the mini USA map and flying around til I ran outta gas. Edit: Oh god I'm thinking of the wrong game. Double edit: Pilot wings 64

OT: I just finished Trevors mission where he flies a crop duster into the military cargo plane. I am getting very sick of not being payed. When can I get payed?

You'll get paid eventually. Just keep playing.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
Trying to find Hitch Lift 1 but can't seem to find it. Where is it?

Edit: Nevermind, got it.

GODS NOT REAL fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 18, 2013

ANGRYGREEK
May 3, 2007

If you meet the Storm Spirit on the lane, gank him.

Beeez posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. I was totally dumbfounded when he told Franklin that this was it and left him standing there, without any payment.
I like to think that in my game Franklin just watched silently as Beverly returned to his camera crew and did his shoot, all the while a small ball of ice-cold hatred inside him growing ever larger.

When Beverly finished his gig and went to his car without even ackowledging him still standing there, Franklin finally snapped, got out a sniper rifle and popped the speeding fucker clean in the head in one shot over about 80 yards. You don't f with the F.

Of course, afterwards Franklin 'Icecold Killah' Clinton immediately ran over, pulled Beverly's remains out of his car and shot him a couple of times more, right there on the street for everyone to see, just to make it clear.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had this issue when trying to buy a marina slip with Franklin after having already bought one as Michael. I started it up again later, tried again and that time it worked! I can't offer anything beyond "try again sometime" unfortunately. Also maybe give it a second or two after you press the confirm button because it seems to need a bit of time to process it. Otherwise let Rockstar know?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Same problem here, on 360, buying several properties after the game is over. Haven't found a workaround yet, so a few are taunting me.

Ahh, that's annoying, looks like it's not going away. Had all this money to blow on jets now too.

Wish there was a new game+ option. Be great to go through it again tearing through missions with attack helicopters and all the best guns.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ANGRYGREEK posted:

What an rear end in a top hat. I was totally dumbfounded when he told Franklin that this was it and left him standing there, without any payment.
I like to think that in my game Franklin just watched silently as Beverly returned to his camera crew and did his shoot, all the while a small ball of ice-cold hatred inside him growing ever larger.

When Beverly finished his gig and went to his car without even ackowledging him still standing there, Franklin finally snapped, got out a sniper rifle and popped the speeding fucker clean in the head in one shot over about 80 yards. You don't f with the F.

Of course, afterwards Franklin 'Icecold Killah' Clinton immediately ran over, pulled Beverly's remains out of his car and shot him a couple of times more, right there on the street for everyone to see, just to make it clear.

This is basically what I did with Mike's therapist. Chased him down, shot out his tires, shot him in the face, pulled him out of his car, stomped the body a bit, then lit the corpse on fire and took a selfie as his car exploded. Money well spent.

Incidentally, I also learned that if a car drives through a gas trail, the gas will follow the path of the tire tread.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Gas is the best weapon in the game. Even if it doesn't always work quite right.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

This is basically what I did with Mike's therapist. Chased him down, shot out his tires, shot him in the face, pulled him out of his car, stomped the body a bit, then lit the corpse on fire and took a selfie as his car exploded. Money well spent.

Incidentally, I also learned that if a car drives through a gas trail, the gas will follow the path of the tire tread.

I never bothered to go to a therapy session but called my therapist after the story was over and never got the opportunity to see Dr. Friedlander. He just called and bragged about being in some snobby condo. Where do you run into the guy?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You have to go see him when the map prompts you. Later he'll call you for phone sessions and you have to go through with those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Speaking of Mike's therapist, does it make a difference if you accept or reject his advice during the sessions? As far as I can tell it changes a couple of lines and that's it.

• Locked thread