Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
On PS3 I'm getting a "maximum amount of RP per races" message. They've capped how much you can get from it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

El Hefe posted:

Choose the super class, 3 laps, no catch up, traffic on, and just keep trading places with each other through the whole race, that's what gives you the RP, trading places the lap time doesn't matter.

I was maxing RP simply by beating lap times and without trading at all so it definitely matters

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

JAssassin posted:

On PS3 I'm getting a "maximum amount of RP per races" message. They've capped how much you can get from it now.

That's been there but I think it might have been lessened now, because when I raced the other night I maxed out with just 1 lap and no slipstream or overtakes. Need more information though.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

JAssassin posted:

They're so determined to make the grind more grind-y.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

JAssassin posted:

Is this just consecutive races, races within a specific time frame, or one single hard limit forever?

MailboxFullOfBombs
Nov 1, 2010

Odette posted:

They're so determined to make the grind more grind-y.

If they really are listening to fan feedback like they say I hope they realize that absolutely nobody likes this grinding bullshit. I know that not every new player should start with an RPG but having to get to level 30-something just to get your first assault rifle is a little bit ridiculous.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is this just consecutive races, races within a specific time frame, or one single hard limit forever?

It's for that specific race.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
So, I wait three days in the badsport lobby, with passive mode on. I get into a normal lobby free roam, get kicked randomly, end up back in bad-sport with 4 more days.

Got to be joking me

This is such a loving joke man, I mean seriously? If I was glitching money, loving cheating or something then I understand. Okay, I blew up some cars, did my time in bad-sport world, then I got hosed, again.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 18, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
So one thing I've yet to even think about yet... what the hell are JP for anyway? I know RP is ostensibly your XP gain but what do JP points actually do, if anything? Are they just to show who's actually doing the most missions in a given lobby?

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Air Julio posted:

Mixed up with Coke and a high level friend, presumably.

Took me two nights of playing, but I basically just raced a lot. As well as doing solo races whenever I got sick of playing bumper cars.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Sundowner posted:

So one thing I've yet to even think about yet... what the hell are JP for anyway? I know RP is ostensibly your XP gain but what do JP points actually do, if anything? Are they just to show who's actually doing the most missions in a given lobby?

In all honesty, they mean absolutely nothing.

Real answer: they make you look like you're doing a good job to anyone in your current session and always reset when you switch to new ones. It is your "score." It has one use: to tell who is in which place during a Playlist.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Sundowner posted:

I thought I saw in some popup it was for determining who wins in a playlist or some poo poo

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

hiddenriverninja posted:

I know! My daily commute totally sucks and I usually don't get home until 10pm because of overtime. I'll be good today though and speed on the real freeway so I can speed on the fake freeway :getin:

edit: I do have a bluetooth headset, but when I turn the sensitivity to like 3, my character looks like she's sucking a boob, and it's super annoying.

fake edit: I discovered earlier this morning that strippers don't want to see your ghetto-rear end 6-car garage apartment.

You have a PS3? How do you change the sensitivity? I get the same problem.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Woodburger posted:

Up until today I believed I wasn't going to do the car selling glitch and that I could just make money the normal way. After running enough missions to get about $200k then losing all of it trying to have fun killing pubbies I have decided I no longer care. I did it with the free Elegy until I could afford a more expensive car and when I get back from class I'm going to have a great time NOT getting pissed that in 10 minutes I lost 3 hours of work.

How did you manage to get killed 100 times in 10 minutes?

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Pook Good Mook posted:

You have a PS3? How do you change the sensitivity? I get the same problem.

Settings > Accessory Settings > Audio Device Settings > boop

You can do this ingame by the way so you don't have to quit out to adjust it

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Wow, just played "Top Fun" and man was that mission the worst thing ever.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

How does it feel to be so wrong?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Is the Sawmill survival a new one? I have never once seen it pop up. Is anyone noticing any other new Surivivals?

Krynn
Dec 12, 2005
Professional Lurker

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Somebody hates fun. :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I can never get a hit even with a lock which is weird because I've been hit even going top speed. I actually found a pretty decent strategy, only used once but on the last straightaway that goes towards the port, they are probably thinking they are home free, if you treat it like a landing strip you can land and use machine guns

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray
Would love to do criminal race with someone on xbox tonight. I'm NikaMK and will be on for a few hours. Let's do this!

Harmonica
May 18, 2004

il cinema è la vita e viceversa

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

If they really are listening to fan feedback like they say I hope they realize that absolutely nobody likes this grinding bullshit. I know that not every new player should start with an RPG but having to get to level 30-something just to get your first assault rifle is a little bit ridiculous.

The trouble is that if everything is available from the beginning, if the weapons aren't dirt cheap you create a system where you absolutely have to grind from the beginning to own the really expensive hardware. In that case, if you don't grind at all, you're going to get destroyed by those running around with AKs and RPGs. If the weapons are dirt cheap, though, then they remove a huge amount of longevity from the game (however artificial that longevity is), and everyone gets the fancy toys from day one and gets bored a few weeks later.

You could argue it's kind of ridiculous making weapons part of the grinding since there's relatively little novelty in unlocking weapons in GTA (especially considering that people will have probably already played with them in single player). Or perhaps they just haven't done a good enough job of making the weapons exciting. It's no Saints Row in this respect, after all. The weapons just do the job.

Anyway, they went with unlockable weapons, and from that point they have to be gated according to levels, since levels are the one thing that people will all achieve as a natural process of playing all parts of online. Giving people an incentive to level up is important, to ensure people stick around playing activities.

I'm not sure what else they could do if weapons were available to anyone, and relatively inexpensive. I was thinking maybe some kind of weapon upkeep system, with the more powerful weapons costing more to maintain, and performing dramatically worse if people didn't repair their expensive gear. As opposed to your cheap handguns and uzis not costing much beyond refilling ammo.

Harmonica fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 18, 2013

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Hah everyone check out this guy

Woodburger
Dec 5, 2004

...Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn.

SplitSoul posted:

How did you manage to get killed 100 times in 10 minutes?

Excuse me for exaggerating slightly :rolleyes:

Raveen
Jul 18, 2004
Would you take a green simeon import/export car that just had a bounty'd helicopter taking off next to when you arrived to jack it?

If sticky bomb trolling didn't bring me so much joy, I might feel sorry for that poor exploded pubbie.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Woodburger posted:

Excuse me for exaggerating slightly :rolleyes:

Okay, how did you manage to get killed ~100 times in x hours? I mean, you have to really put an effort into being terrible to use up 200k in one play session, even if you top off the most expensive ammo and blow up personal cars, which you shouldn't be doing anyway. I'm just sayin'...

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

ZombieReagan posted:

I really don't get how the kick from Freemode thing works because I was getting double-teamed so I called in some Merrywether mercs to even the odds up, and the fuckers kicked me. I'm guessing it's not a vote or anything like that? Freemode kicks seem like total bullshit to count against "bad sport" unless a majority agree to it or something.

Fake edit: Just to be clear, I was minding my own business at the time, those other two started the poo poo but I figured I'd play along a bit. I just didn't expect them to be that big of pricks about it when I just didn't die super easily multiple times for them.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a vote. I've had players try to kick me before, but nothing ever came of it because they couldn't get enough votes.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Ammo is mainly expensive because your capacity increases surprisingly quickly, which means that after 10 minutes of fighting dudes, you've probably added 500 ammo to your max capacity and not even realized it. Eventually they all reach 9999 and it doesn't matter however, ammo is cheap as long as you focus on the wepaons you use instead of ALL of them, or simply don't bother to cap the ammo every time you go to the store.

The trick with ammo is that it's shared. If I buy UZI ammo at $6 a pop, I can still use it in my MP5, only I didn't have to pay $10 a pop.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

ijyt posted:

The trick with ammo is that it's shared. If I buy UZI ammo at $6 a pop, I can still use it in my MP5, only I didn't have to pay $10 a pop.

I did not know ammo rates changed between weapons. I've probably wasted a ton of dough.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

N is for Nipples posted:

I did not know ammo rates changed between weapons. I've probably wasted a ton of dough.

They don't(?), it's just with certain guns you buy more ammo in bulk so the price changes with the quantity.

But sometimes things like sticky bombs are cheaper in the lobby I believe.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's not fun to just blow up some poor guy on a dirtbike without a chance. It's not fun to be the dirtbike guy getting blown up after dodging a few missiles.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ijyt posted:

I haven't actually run the math, but it charges per bullet so the prices are different because the two guns have different sized magazines. I don't think they're actually cheaper.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Prokhor posted:

Settings > Accessory Settings > Audio Device Settings > boop

You can do this ingame by the way so you don't have to quit out to adjust it

Also, as anyone who plays with me regularly knows, there's a voice modulator option right under that. My teenage son screws with it all the time when I'm not playing and I hop into matches to, "dude what is the matter with your voice?" I'm tempted to leave it most of the time. :D

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The life invader discounts for stalking are pretty useful for buying expensive things. 10% off a car is nice.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Alan Smithee posted:

I can never get a hit even with a lock which is weird because I've been hit even going top speed. I actually found a pretty decent strategy, only used once but on the last straightaway that goes towards the port, they are probably thinking they are home free, if you treat it like a landing strip you can land and use machine guns
You're not locking on to players, you're locking on to gubmint vehicles.

So, shoot the roadblocks ahead of them!

Yeah it's weak, all I would ask for is a toggle lock on/off button, so I could free aim at bitches I'm chasing without cops harshing my buzz.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Goddamnit I am so loving sick of morons who start the race and IMMEDIATELY RAM INTO YOU / PIT you. Both of us flip the gently caress over! It helps NO ONE except the guy in front who didnt get hit and gets 1/2 a track ahead. Goddamnit what the gently caress is your loving problem!

E: I'm also really pissed about how people magically catch up to you in the same loving car. Like one race I was 4 check points in front of this guy, in second place, both in the same stock car, and then at the last check point he blows past me and I get in third. Like how is that even POSSIBLE??? No he didn't have a custom car.

:suicide:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Now that I can finally play I don't want to because the only things available to me at level 12 are deathmatches and races, both of which I find extremely boring and repetitive. Is there fun stuff to do at later levels, like co-op heists? Grinding is the worst...so pointless.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

The life invader discounts for stalking are pretty useful for buying expensive things. 10% off a car is nice.

It is when you don't unwittingly use it while redeeming a free car (Elegy)

:smith:

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

Also, as anyone who plays with me regularly knows, there's a voice modulator option right under that. My teenage son screws with it all the time when I'm not playing and I hop into matches to, "dude what is the matter with your voice?" I'm tempted to leave it most of the time. :D

oh man, the first time I played with you, you had it turned on and I was like 'wtf' but I didn't wanna say anything just in case you had a condition or something

In other news, it is frustrating when you manage to get a decent run of Mixed Up With Coke going and then Martin wants to hand out nothing but Death From Above/Out Of Court Settlement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noxiousg
May 24, 2013

I just figured out how to collect your own bounty. Stand next to a propane tank. Shoot it. When it explodes and kills you, you get two messages immediately;

You have survived the Bounty placed on you.
You have committed suicide.

The bounty goes into your bank, minus the $2,000 death fee.

Some extra details, just in case they make a difference: Only shoot the propane tank once so it starts to leak, then wait for it to explode. I've only done it with the Propane tank by the gun store in Sandy Shores.

noxiousg fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 18, 2013

• Locked thread