Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

What a lovely cliffhanger to end on. I guess this is it til the end. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

IUG posted:

He might as well just release the last update in a torrent file. There's no way any server can handle that amount of load it's going to get when he releases that upon the wild. He's going to need the computing power usually reserved for Google or the NSA to handle the amount of traffic he's going to get that day.
Yeah, this is going to get ugly.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DaveKap posted:

Now that I'm closing the MSPA tab in my browser, I'll have to make a new category in my RSS feed just for MSPA updates. I can think of no other proper way to ensure that I'll know when the update hits. Any suggestions?

Have this thread bookmarked (you already do, as you posted in this thread), and check when there's 100+ updates in the course of 5 minutes. That's my plan.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Because Hussie has promised news updates in the meantime, is closing the thread really necessary? The past couple of pauses have shown that we have finally grown up and reached Godtier poster status and no longer devolve into a collective gibbering mess when we have no comic updates to talk about. I would like to have a place to talk about whatever cool stuff Hussie drops on us in the meantime. Still, I would completely understand if we do close the thread as it is the safer option.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

This is really weird. In spite of all my griping at the last month of updates, it's been a hell of a ride.

I dunno if I'm going to -miss- Homestuck, but it's gonna feel weird to see it actually, really end, and to remove the RSS feed from my bookmarks after 4 years.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

life_source posted:

Because Hussie has promised news updates in the meantime, is closing the thread really necessary? The past couple of pauses have shown that we have finally grown up and reached Godtier poster status and no longer devolve into a collective gibbering mess when we have no comic updates to talk about. I would like to have a place to talk about whatever cool stuff Hussie drops on us in the meantime. Still, I would completely understand if we do close the thread as it is the safer option.
Considering how the thread dived into talking about an unrelated game, whose only connection to Homestuck being Toby R. Fox working on it, at one point during a large hiatus I feel like we may as well shut down. Maybe have a brand new thread to celebrate the Actual End of Homestuck, however it may happen.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

nerdbot posted:

I dunno if I'm going to -miss- Homestuck
I'm not going to miss Homestuck, I'm going to miss MSPaintAdventures. The chances of this being Hussie's last webcomic are high; he's gotten over the idea of a user-idea-submitted story, he figured out a subject which resonates with a massive teenage fanbase that will feed his money gullet for years to come, and he is probably done having to work hard just to ensure he has daily updates. He's got a partner, he's got money, he's got some fame, and he can essentially work on whatever he wants; what else could he possibly need at this point?

In other words, I mark this as the death of one of the best daily mixed-media webcomics ever. What we get from here on out will be great and entertaining, don't get me wrong, but it won't be a daily mixed-media webcomic.

And so the world turns.

Edit: This ended up sounding way more serious than I really meant. I'm just saying it sucks that I have nothing to F5 right now.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

I agree this pausing is a good idea. I've always been impressed by Hussie's ability to ad-lib the story a long and still have something resembling coherent. Being able to approach things from a practice more nuanced then 'first-draft last-draft' can only be a positive.
I would hope.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Homestuck. Homestuck why.

I've tried to be good to you. I've given you the best of me. Why so cruel. Why must you only take.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Homestuck has been a Good Experience. I liked it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

Homestuck. Homestuck why.

I've tried to be good to you. I've given you the best of me. Why so cruel. Why must you only take.

Man I really don't want to be on your bad side then huh :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Pouring a bottle o' imagination booster for my main man MSPA. May your pumpkins (or lack thereof) ever mystify future internet archeologists.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I'm not going to miss Homestuck, I'm going to miss MSPaintAdventures. The chances of this being Hussie's last webcomic are high; he's gotten over the idea of a user-idea-submitted story, he figured out a subject which resonates with a massive teenage fanbase that will feed his money gullet for years to come, and he is probably done having to work hard just to ensure he has daily updates. He's got a partner, he's got money, he's got some fame, and he can essentially work on whatever he wants; what else could he possibly need at this point?

In other words, I mark this as the death of one of the best daily mixed-media webcomics ever. What we get from here on out will be great and entertaining, don't get me wrong, but it won't be a daily mixed-media webcomic.

And so the world turns.

Edit: This ended up sounding way more serious than I really meant. I'm just saying it sucks that I have nothing to F5 right now.

Nate RFB posted:

Homestuck has been a Good Experience. I liked it.

These two opinions reflect my own. I'll miss the thread too, I only joined recently but I've been STALKING YOU GUYS for... quite a while.

It's been a super fun ride and I'm sure there's a bit left to discuss, even. I wouldn't say close the thread just yet since we should at least comment on the ending when it finally comes, and then we can put it to rest -hopefully without bloodshed-. Despite the thread becoming a bit whiny lately it's still the only sane place on the internet to discuss MSPA so thanks, dudes.

I'm happy in a way that the Huss decided to do it like this, I first read most of Homestuck in the course of a week and it really is the best way to enjoy it. Not only is it still one of my favorite webcomics, but MSPA really made me find out about other excellent comics like Gunnerkrigg Court.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, this has been a long-rear end time coming. I first started reading around Trollmageddon, and I still remember when that was considered newcomer territory, and as real as poo poo could ever get.

Memories. :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm going to miss the daily-ish updates and all the speculation fuel it threw on the fires. I'll miss watching the manic glee and sorrow that this comic inspires in tumblr. I will miss this thread.

gently caress it, I may actually install pesterchum if this thread gets locked.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I am weirdly okay with this. Mainly because the increase of hiatuses and their lengths over the last couple years (I think the past two summers had virtually no updates!) really wrecked the pace of the thing. I'll be happy when it's back though!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Homestuck: The Series has ended on a sudden cliffhanger. The story shall be concluded in Homestuck: The Movie Moive. (The promotion for the movie involves finding the biggest and most robust webhost AH can afford, and seeing if he can bring it to its knees.)

I don't expect this thread will survive that long though. It's been real folks.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I haven't really been attached to Homestuck as much as the other guys here as well as the tumblrs too since I've started reading this around the beginning of the month, so I'm not too bummed out regarding this gigapause or whatever. In fact, I'm sorta more excited about Hussie's new non-Namco High project he's teasing than Homestuck: The Final Acts Acts (Intermissions). I think it's refreshing for him and for myself as well take on something that doesn't have to do with quadrants nor troll/human sloppy makeouts.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
Time to buy Archives and read all the old Homestuck threads.

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

Thwack! posted:

I haven't really been attached to Homestuck as much as the other guys here as well as the tumblrs too since I've started reading this around the beginning of the month, so I'm not too bummed out regarding this gigapause or whatever. In fact, I'm sorta more excited about Hussie's new non-Namco High project he's teasing than Homestuck: The Final Acts Acts (Intermissions). I think it's refreshing for him and for myself as well take on something that doesn't have to do with quadrants nor troll/human sloppy makeouts.

I thought the secret project was in fact Namco High?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
And I was just getting comfortable in this thread. :ughh:

...how's Problem Sleuth?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

And I was just getting comfortable in this thread. :ughh:

...how's Problem Sleuth?

Worth it. Plus you have plenty of time to check it out now, with the Gigapause in effect!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Problem Sleuth is less a story and more a gigantic pisstake on old text-parser adventure games. But if you played any of those, you will probably enjoy it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Problem Sleuth is fantastic. I genuinely consider it one of the best webcomics. Do yourself a favor and read that poo poo.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I think this is a good idea. A long pause where he can actually plan things out should make a better ending than where he sticks with the serial format. Can't wait to see how he ends this and what happens to everyone.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

nerdbot posted:

Problem Sleuth is fantastic. I genuinely consider it one of the best webcomics. Do yourself a favor and read that poo poo.

Then do Hussie a favour and buy that poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you've read Homestuck and not Problem Sleuth something is probably wrong with you.

Go fix it now. It will take you something like an eighth of the time it would to reread Homestuck. Or less.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The problem with Problem Sleuth (at least for me) is that if you read it for a long period of time in some kind of binge, you will narrate your life in the third person in your head.

You go downstairs. You stare at the washer and open the door. You put your whites in and measure out your cup of detergent.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, some important news that probably got lost in all the gigapause stuff:

Hussie posted:

(The cover of PS5 glows in the dark by the way.)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

IUG posted:

The problem with Problem Sleuth (at least for me) is that if you read it for a long period of time in some kind of binge, you will narrate your life in the third person in your head.

You go downstairs. You stare at the washer and open the door. You put your whites in and measure out your cup of detergent.

Your knife is out of fabric softener!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Also a hell of a lot of jokes in Homestuck are direct callbacks to PS (as well as to Jailbreak and Bard Quest), so if you didn't read them first you kind of miss all of that.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So.. will this be a huge string of updates dropped at once with a big flash at the end, or are we looking at a hour long flash?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Fat_Cow posted:

So.. will this be a huge string of updates dropped at once with a big flash at the end, or are we looking at a hour long flash?

Feature length movie, opening in theaters across the world in three years.

More seriously, likely the former. The final flash animation will undoubtedly be super long and filled with details that won't make any sense unless you're following a thread like this, though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

So it begins, the last great Hiatus of our time.

It's going to be weird seeing an internet without Homestuck, but then I basically went through all of this back when 8-bit finally ended so I'm not going in completely blind. Here's hoping Hussie somehow manages to bring all this poo poo together into one glorious shitstorm fireball worthy of what he's built up.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

This is probably a better way to do it. But I really wish he'd serialize it over, say, a week. A big part of the fun is hashing it out and reading people's crazy speculation - I'd love to have a week of freaking out over big, crazy endgame updates, instead of burning through it in a few hours. :sigh:

Still, it's good to have an excuse to get back to the annotations. Assuming the thread's open, I'll pop in next time I have a big chunk of them written and published.

And hey, anyone want to reminisce a little? Favorite quotes or pages or whatnot? I'd like to submit Dave's confrontation with destiny in the form of his own personal holocaust of twitching foam noses. During my first read through, I remember enjoying the comic just fine until this point, but Dave getting clobbered by the puppet landslide was the first time I actually laughed out loud at it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fat_Cow posted:

From the gist of it he's going to post everything all at once, but it'll be a string of regular updates, flashes and so on. I'm guessing some of these intermissions will be pretty short though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Problem Sleuth is great. Whenever I get people telling me "I keep hearing about Homestuck, what is it/should I read it?" I always tell them to read Problem Sleuth first, if only because it's so much shorter and actually has a definite end to it; you can read through it in an evening.

And with this pause now in effect, I may actually go reread Homestuck like I planned to with the Megapause! I initially read it in 30 hours (passing out twice, took me about three days), which was about a week before Cascade. I've been wanting to read it again at a much more relaxed pace, and Rocktopus' (I think it was you) notes on Homestuck reinforced that desire. If you do decide to go back and reread all of Homestuck in this break, perhaps you'll enjoy reading these notes alongside it.

As for this thread? I think we should give it a week to see if we can hold our poo poo together. Though with such a big pause, it might be better for us to just start a brand new thread for the final update.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Is it weird that the only thing I'm really disappointed with about the gigapause is the fact that he's going to be releasing everything at once? I don't mind a hiatus to create it all and gain the benefit from having better control of the storyline, but I did enjoy the serial nature of the comic.

Also, what are the odds that there is an update tomorrow and this is all a Caliborn psycheout intro?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Thundarr posted:

Also a hell of a lot of jokes in Homestuck are direct callbacks to PS (as well as to Jailbreak and Bard Quest), so if you didn't read them first you kind of miss all of that.

I actually did read those first two, and the callback with Spades on Prospit was one of the funniest things in the comic.

Thanks for the PS endorsements! I'll be getting into that next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Man to think I started reading at around a month before the Doc Scratch intermission, and part of it in France. I think the first thing I did after I came back to my home country was play the "Past Karkat: Wake up" flash cause it wouldn't load on that lousy internet I had.

It feels kinda weird, having missed the zeitgest of fantrolls and Homestuck oversaturation on the net, but seeing the fallout. Can't say I won't be a little sad about it ending, but thank god, it's been years now.