Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I didn't start reading it until I was seeing troll avatars everywhere, got fed up with not having any idea what the deal was, and decided to figure out what this "Homestuck" thing was all about. I want to say that I started reading it shortly before Horrorstuck but I honestly can't remember at this point.

I also made the egregious error of skipping most of the pesterlogs the first time I read through. Needless to say I was left even more confused about what Homestuck was than before I'd started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I really find it hard to believe that people managed to skip pesterlogs and still trundle along the rest of the comic. I feel it's kinda like, I dunno, gazing at the pages in a book or just letting the movie go on while the characters talk. It feels weird.
Not accusing you of anything, I just find it particularly strange v:shobon:v

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
It's weird, thinking the actual ending is coming up, since the comic hasn't felt like it's coming toward any sort of conclusion lately. It's weird knowing I will never again be checking this website every day just in case there was an update in the middle of the night. It's weird knowing I'll end it the same way I began: reading a big chunk all at once, which was so long ago I can't even remember what it felt like.
I've been reading this drat thing for four years and I remember thinking it was probably close to ending when Descend came out but I'm still not ready somehow.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I have no idea how he can satisfactorily wrap this up unless the final update is, like, 1000 pages at once plus flashes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm here to ask the important question, the one we've all been dying to ask. Will there be more Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff at the end of the gigapause? Also, the day after the pause ends, will Hussie reveal Problem Sleuth 2: Detective Boogaloo?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Oxxidation posted:

I have no idea how he can satisfactorily wrap this up unless the final update is, like, 1000 pages at once plus flashes.

The final update will just be Elevatorstuck, on loop.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
While Lord English ventilates the entire cast.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
As down as I have been on Homestuck lately, it's kind of sad that there is only one last pause left. I've been checking regularly for the last four years and it's weird to think we're in the final stretch. Well, it had to end sometime, even if we joked that it would never end. If this thread locks, then see you guys at the end. It's been real, guys.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I like this news because it means Homestuck will actually end. This thing has started to wear out it's welcome with me; it's been in my RSS feed since Problem Sleuth but like the rest of you my obsession dropped off after 2010 or so. I was getting worried that the "draw some pages, throw them up 10 minutes later" creative process that gave Homestuck its huge digressive scope would never get to anything like a conclusion. A who knows how many month break to make the ending will allow Andrew a degree of planning and revision he's usually denied, which is exactly what the story needs.

I really ought to replace this 3 year old Solluxvitar with something else shouldn't I?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I first came to Homestuck during the hiatus leading up to Cascade. It's been a bit of a meandering ride since then, but I've been enjoying it. It's been helped by discovering this thread and the board over on Reddit, having a community around me has helped me pick up on the stuff I missed and just generally keep things straight. I'm bummed that we've got this long hiatus ahead of us now, but hopefully that'll let Hussie put together a coherent ending, and the finale flash is likely to be something awesome. Once the Internet recovers from the inevitable global meltdown when it's posted, at least.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I like this news because it means Homestuck will actually end. This thing has started to wear out it's welcome with me; it's been in my RSS feed since Problem Sleuth but like the rest of you my obsession dropped off after 2010 or so. I was getting worried that the "draw some pages, throw them up 10 minutes later" creative process that gave Homestuck its huge digressive scope would never get to anything like a conclusion. A who knows how many month break to make the ending will allow Andrew a degree of planning and revision he's usually denied, which is exactly what the story needs.

I really ought to replace this 3 year old Solluxvitar with something else shouldn't I?

Another Sollux avatar, when he dies yet again in the end game flash.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I came in just before the great Cascade hiatus started, and I've never regretted it. I'll be sad to see it end, but I can't wait to see how.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Carrasco posted:

While Lord English ventilates the entire cast.

Gamzee's blood fills the entire screen and everyone drowns, except Gamzee himself.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I guess i should finally read PS in the meantime, but on the other hand i've tried to do that before and i always lose interest.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

All I can think of is MSPA Readers: React to update.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Well, god damnit.

Homestuck 2 better begin immediately after this story ends. Sell out, drat you! :argh:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I figure the moment Homestuck ends, Andrew Hussie is going to change his name and go escape the cpuntry, enjoying freedom for the first time since 2009.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Although I doubt it, I still think it would be nice if we could get a bit of a delay between the end of act 6 and act 7. Give a day to come to terms with the end of the comic before putting out an epilogue, y'know?

I'm not ready for there to be only one more update :smith: .

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
What really gets me is something I read last year (I think), one of those times Hussie answered a bunch of questions on his tumblr. He said that Homestuck is pretty much just an experiment for him and not what he considers his magnum opus, which is to come later.

Honestly, I don't know if he still holds that to be true or not. But if it is, well, I can't help but wonder what he's going to do next.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff: The Musical.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Eventually, e-readers will be able to process flash videos as part of their books. This is when Hussie will write his first bestselling novel.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dorroile posted:

Sweet Bro And Hella Jeff: The Musical.

Man if SBAHJ somehow continues to be a thing even after Homestuck ends then this is not nearly as hard to come to terms with. :colbert:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Eagerly awaiting the end where we are reunited with our new Vriska overlord.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I wonder if he's gonna get into the denizens and the "quest" aspects of the planets - or if now, at this late hour, he's gonna say, "the characters have grown beyond these game constructs, the story is now about killing a clown, Ratchet Sea Hitler and a green skull-faced straw man for the comic's critics.

I won't lie though, I will be intensely entertained if the end of Homestuck is about that other thing - because there are a couple characters involved in whom I'm still invested.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The Gigapause finally ends. The curtains open, but not to Caliborn and John, nor to the Juggalo Wrestling Chucklesquad. Instead we zoom out: we see that the curtains are inside a snowglobe. Hella Jeff sits motionless, staring at it. Sweet Bro talks to him, though he knows his words won't reach him.

"dude is there anything you do that is not stareing into that snoglob. its like youre STUCK AT HOME you FAT AUTIST."

The end.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

Thundarr posted:

I also made the egregious error of skipping most of the pesterlogs the first time I read through. Needless to say I was left even more confused about what Homestuck was than before I'd started.

You think you did bad, I skipped a bunch of flashes on my first read because I thought all of them were probably pointless looping things like John's strife with his dad.

Admittedly I started reading during the first Intermission so it could have been worse.

Snollygoster posted:

I wonder if he's gonna get into the denizens and the "quest" aspects of the planets - or if now, at this late hour, he's gonna say, "the characters have grown beyond these game constructs, the story is now about killing a clown, Ratchet Sea Hitler and a green skull-faced straw man for the comic's critics.

For what it's worth, before he deleted a bunch of Reddit question/answers off his tumblr, one of them said the Denizens at least would definitely be addressed, and that was, comparatively, pretty recent. However I can't imagine we won't at least get a little bit of them because Karkat and Kanaya have to go see Echidna.

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 18, 2013

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

If I recall correctly, I started reading MSPA around about the start of the Demonhead Mobster Kingpin fight. I've enjoyed reading serially, even if the comic is ultimately meant to be designed for archival readers. I think the only bits I've skipped over are the three Meenahquest flashes - I really should get back to those at some point.

It's pretty weird and scary to think that there's only one more update to go.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

I dunno exactly when I started reading but I know it was at a point before Cascade, except I ended up sort of drifting out. I gave it a reread and second try pretty late in the game during Act 6, and that's when I got to the point I was caught with updates. I kind of wish I'd stuck with it fully that first time so I could have had more of the nerdish memories for this thread but oh well; hindsight.
What's funny is that reading serially is actually the oddity for me, enjoyable as it was, so in a way I'm pretty happy to get another vast chunk to just slowly dig through.

Also I sort of non-secretly want the epilogue to be indulgently nice and happy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Man, did Hussie's tumblr get gutted or something? It's missing a ton of stuff, including all the times he answered questions.

That's kinda lame, I was gonna reread those.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Gonna throw this idea out there since many people are announcing their loyalty to this thread as "the one and only place to ever discuss MSPA-related materials without feeling like a sub-human."

What if we had a thread with a scheduled reading of past and present MSPA comics? Say, read 100 pages of Jailbreak one day, 100 more the next, until that's done then move on to Bard Quest and do the same until we've finally caught up to where we are now at some point 3 months from now when, maybe, the gigapause will be complete. Of course I'm just pulling the 100 page rule out of my rear end, perhaps someone who would want to organize this would also be willing to see what 30 minutes of reading could be per day and set up a spreadsheet detailing exactly where to start and end each day. Doesn't that seem like a good way to keep the MSPA:SA community together and chatting without resorting to, you know... Pesterchum?

Just an idea. I'm not running it.

Oh one last thing. If we're lucky, we actually will get a rather large MSPA update before the gigapause is over. The Rex Duodecim Angelus flash could get completed! http://rexduodecimangelus.wikispaces.com/ (ahhahahaha)

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!

VJeff posted:

Man, did Hussie's tumblr get gutted or something? It's missing a ton of stuff, including all the times he answered questions.

That's kinda lame, I was gonna reread those.

Yeah, he apparently deleted a bunch of them. I'm sure some Homestuck fan somewhere on Tumblr has saved them (I mean, hell, someone has all his formspring questions saved) so it's just a matter of scouring, but I'm pretty curious why he deleted them. Maybe legal concerns to do with the game? Maybe he's using them for book commentary? Who knows.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I know I'm definitely going to miss the serial updates myself, because they were fun and I miss all the times when something crazy went down and everyone could only speculate on what would happen and such. Constant theories and worry, etc. The Trollpocalypse was awesome.

But at the same time, I did notice that more and more lately that the serial updates only brought whining as people spun their wheels in an endless circle of assuming the worst of every update, having those fears placated and going "Oh, that makes sense then!", and then assuming the worst of the update immediately afterwards while immediately forgetting they just did that.

In some ways it felt like I was the only one who still enjoyed the comic in the same way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'm just gonna echo basically everyone else and say this move makes a lot of sense but I'm gonna get the shakes if I don't get my fix.

Also after the last hiatus I missed a full week of Homestuck before noticing the thread was getting posts in it again; lord knows how long I'm gonna be completely unaware when the gigapause ends.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

DaveKap posted:

What if we had a thread with a scheduled reading of past and present MSPA comics? Say, read 100 pages of Jailbreak one day, 100 more the next, until that's done then move on to Bard Quest and do the same until we've finally caught up to where we are now at some point 3 months from now when, maybe, the gigapause will be complete. Of course I'm just pulling the 100 page rule out of my rear end, perhaps someone who would want to organize this would also be willing to see what 30 minutes of reading could be per day and set up a spreadsheet detailing exactly where to start and end each day. Doesn't that seem like a good way to keep the MSPA:SA community together and chatting without resorting to, you know... Pesterchum?

Crunching some mental numbers, running at a pace of 100 panels a day means the entire archive would be completed in about 87 days, or just under three months, which is a good estimate for how long the pause might last. Looking at the story map and chapters... There's just over a years worth of content if we read a chapter a day. But I do like the idea of using the chapters as stopping points. Maybe five chapters a day?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
It's interesting to know then end is somewhat in sight now. It's been a wild ride.

I honestly doubt this is the end of MSPA though. Sure, Hussie now has a decent amount of money and whatnot so there's little financial incentive to continue but there was no such incentive when he started this. He did it just because he wanted to. The format might change and user submissions are basically 100% not going to happen but I find it hard to imagine Hussie hanging up the tablet. Dude just seems to love making stuff.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, time to go feral.

This kind of feels like a weird time for this huge pause. I'm sure most of us expected there'd be a hiatus before Homestuck's conclusion so Hussie could get it all up to snuff, but I figured we'd be much more clearly on the road to the climax before then and most of the arcs would be tied up. At this point he's basically still got all the balls in the air and is going to have to sort out all of them before he can begin the actual climax.

It's probably better this way, since he'll have the time to settle in and do some editing as he works. The final product will likely be better as a result.

I guess this means it's time to reread Homestuck from start to finish! Every time I try I get a little into Act 2 then stop, which unfortunately makes it all the harder to start another reread, but there's plenty of time to work through that particular block now.

It has been an honour and a privilege to post with you all. Even Koos.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Just wouldn't be the same without Koos, even if he isn't banned on sight anymore.

Oh well time to finally reread this thing too!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I hope we at least get one more music album before the final update, to tide us over.

Now watch as he releases an album that is just Elevatorstuck on loop for an hour.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Oh one last thing. If we're lucky, we actually will get a rather large MSPA update before the gigapause is over. The Rex Duodecim Angelus flash could get completed! http://rexduodecimangelus.wikispaces.com/ (ahhahahaha)

Oh man this is going to be AWESOME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I've been reading since the meteor walkabout. It's been fun seeing everyone's interpretations of the comic. I even got a citation on that one goon's annotations! :kimchi: (You misspelled my tumblr name but who cares.) It's been great and I look forward to rejoining the conversation when Half Life 3 the final update comes out.