Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'd never lose to a boar. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha Tom's face. I love him so much.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Faking a British accent to impress a woman is such a perfectly Tom thing to do. I love this show.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
These episodes have been so good I've somehow forgotten Andy hasn't been in any of them.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
There was a "blink and you'll miss it" reference to one of Mike Schur's previous writing gigs on the show tonight:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

hcreight posted:

There was a "blink and you'll miss it" reference to one of Mike Schur's previous writing gigs on the show tonight:

The last name is the perfect cherry on top

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

hcreight posted:

Oh my god :aaa:

Should've worked a mom's basement joke in there somewhere.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hcreight posted:

Hahahaha, christ that rules.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Explanation, please? :confused:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Schur used to run this site under the alias "Ken Tremendous": http://www.firejoemorgan.com/

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

So are those baseball players?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last one is, the others are baseball acronyms that they talked about a lot. It's baseball humor, the best humor! :punto:

E: Should have had it next to the offices of Fremulon Insurance.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 18, 2013

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

More specifically, it's really nerdy baseball humor.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

kidcoelacanth posted:

More specifically, it's really nerdy baseball humor.

PECOTA is "Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm" so that's pretty much all y'all non-baseball nerds need to know about how nerdy that is. The other two weird ones are advanced stats as well and Eckstein just perfectly embodies scrappiness.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
holy christ the law office piece. amazing.

That whole episode was amazing.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
I'm excited to see this episode JUST for Tatiana Maslany. Got it DVR'd but have things to do :(

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Azure_Horizon posted:

I'm excited to see this episode JUST for Tatiana Maslany. Got it DVR'd but have things to do :(

Oh thank god. I thought the responses to this episode were going to come and go without anyone recognizing who she was.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Spoeank posted:

PECOTA is "Player Empirical Comparison and Optimization Test Algorithm" so that's pretty much all y'all non-baseball nerds need to know about how nerdy that is. The other two weird ones are advanced stats as well and Eckstein just perfectly embodies scrappiness.

PECOTA was created and maintained by Nate Silver before he went into political analysis, just to give some perspective to the non-baseball fans who are wondering what the hell we're laughing about. I loved that Schur stuck in a gag that only a small percentage of P&R's relatively small viewer base would even pick up on.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Saw it for Tatiana Maslany, loved seeing Sparks Nevada as Ron's lawyer. Great episode; I love this show, but is this out of order? what happened to that Eagleton guy that worked with Donna?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

radlum posted:

Saw it for Tatiana Maslany, loved seeing Sparks Nevada as Ron's lawyer. Great episode; I love this show, but is this out of order? what happened to that Eagleton guy that worked with Donna?
The flamboyant homosexual? I think he got laid off like all the Eagleton staff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If so, that's pretty B.S. They should have kept someone from Eagleton.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
I don't think they got rid of him. I'm guessing he's just not a series regular

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I need him to come back so he can have a scene with Harris and Brett.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well, if you guys need more Billy Eichner, just watch some Billy on the Street.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Is that hot doctor lady from that show where she plays a bunch of different people? If thats her then its pretty funny how Tom was basically playing all sorts of different roles with the accent/different suits/etc

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Conquistador posted:

Is that hot doctor lady from that show where she plays a bunch of different people? If thats her then its pretty funny how Tom was basically playing all sorts of different roles with the accent/different suits/etc

Yeah their entire interaction was a big Orphan Black spoof. Specifically with the British accent at the beginning as Tatiana has one in the show for one of the clones but doesn't have one in real life.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Billy's twitter indicated that Craig will be coming back later in the season.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

radlum posted:

I'm glad there's at least one other Sparks Nevada fan around. I was really hoping they'd have Trevor tell us where he's from.

Screw it, I'm going to plug it since it's one of my favorite things and tangentially relates to P&R.

The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a live show, that is put on monthly in LA. They also release the show as a podcast. The show is done in the style of old-timey radio, and each show consists for 3 - 4 segments. The first and last segment are always the same, the first being the space western, Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars.

Marc Evan Jackson (the guy who plays Trevor Nelson, the lawyer on P&R) is Sparks Nevada, who is the marshal of Mars roughly 1000 years from now. He has a faithful blue-skinned, nanotech enhanced Martian companion, Croach the Tracker, played by Mark Gagliardi. He has an on-again/off again romance with the vigilante heroine The Red Plains Rider, played by Busy Phillips (most of the time) from Cougartown / Freaks and Geeks. The saloon barkeep is played by Scandal's Josh Malina. Oh and occasionally the hero of the outer reaches of Mars, Cactoid Jim shows up. Cactoid Jim is played by Nathan Fillion, because apparently he just can't stay away from a good space western.

The first episode and a half are pretty slow, but it starts to pick up, and after about a half dozen episodes it turns into honestly one of the best things I've ever watched (or in this case, just listened to.) Also there's a few "spinoffs" of Sparks Nevada so you need to pay attention if you're going through just the Sparks episodes to catch those in order, too. Fillion's Cactoid Jim has 4 episodes, the USSA has two, the Troubleshooter and the Robot Rogues each have one.

The other segment that's in every TAH show is Beyond Belief, which has Paget Brewster and Paul F. Tomkins as a pair of married, psychic supernatural mystery solvers. It's also usually really good. Sparks Nevada is serialized, you really can't skip around (including with the spinoffs), while Beyond Belief is not.

The middle segment(s) vary in quality, I like Moonshine Hollow (which Offerman has guest starred in) and Amelia Aerhart. Fillion also has two episodes of his own character, Jefferson Reid - Ace American, that are pretty good.

They also feature a ton of guest stars. Aubrey Plaza, Nick Offerman and Jim O'Heir have all guest starred in various TAH segments. I think Aubrey is the only P&R person to be in a Sparks Nevada episode, and she's in the first one (which, sadly, is by far the worst episode.) But both Danny Pudi and Yvette Nicole Brown have been in Sparks Nevada, if you like Community, along with lots of other people you probably know and love.

PersonalGenius
Mar 1, 2013

Barefoot on the Moon

Thank you, this is all I wanted.

- In life.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

So now we don't get another new episode until November 14th? Friggin' NBC.

We'll apparently get 2 back-to-back episodes on Nov. 14th and 21st, and then another break until January. :(

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 18, 2013

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
What are they going to play instead on Thursday nights? Reruns of The Biggest Loser?

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Chamberk posted:

What are they going to play instead on Thursday nights? Reruns of The Biggest Loser?

According to the source:

quote:

Going forward, Thursday 8 p.m. timeslot:

Oct. 24: “The Voice” (encore)

Oct. 31: “SNL Halloween”

Nov. 7: “The Voice” (live)

Nov. 14: “Parks and Recreation” (back-to-back new episodes)

Nov. 21: “Parks and Recreation” (back-to-back new episodes)

Nov. 28: “Sunday Night Football” Thanksgiving game

Dec. 5: “The Sound of Music Live” telecast

Dec. 12: “The Sing-Off”

Dec. 19: “The Sing-Off”

Jan. 2, 2014: Season premiere of “Community” (back-to-back episodes)

Jan. 9: 100th episode of “Parks and Recreation” (8:30 p.m.)

IveMadeSnacks
Feb 6, 2004

mew!!
I like that Ben envisions Ron dying in a very Game of Thrones way.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
And the death of the Thursday night comedy block comes with not a bang, but reruns of The Voice.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
One of the most significant bummers of my life time. :sigh:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It is kind of funny that two of the things temporarily stealing its spot on Thursday night are Saturday Night Live and Sunday Night Football.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

This episode proves definitively that no one will miss Ann. :)

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

In an episode full of great lines "Twitter Watergate" made me laugh the hardest. I don't even know why, but it had me dying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

codenameFANGIO posted:

This episode proves definitively that no one will miss Ann. :)

How dare you, sir. It's simply too soon to mourn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot about her, but was curious where my man Andy was off to.

What is he doing anyway, filming a movie? Or did he leave the series

• Locked thread