Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Duckman2008 posted:

What's the consensus on iOS 7 for older phones? My friend has a 4S and wants to know if there are still issues with the update. The main One I have been seeing is iMessage not working.

16gb 4s here and running smoothly. But have been a bit slower the first day but runs great now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Update to my Reminders woes: I set 3 reminders while I was at work today: 1 manually set for "home" (the wrong address that used to work), 1 manually for my actual address, and one set via Siri for "home" (actual address.)

None of them activated when I got home.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Aha- figured out what was up- I wasn't typing under the header and I thought the header was the reminder. This would make sense. Thanks!

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

runchild posted:

Update to my Reminders woes: I set 3 reminders while I was at work today: 1 manually set for "home" (the wrong address that used to work), 1 manually for my actual address, and one set via Siri for "home" (actual address.)

Do you have wifi on when you're travelling home?

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Neurophonic posted:

Do you have wifi on when you're travelling home?

Yes. I generally don't turn it off.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

runchild posted:

I'm also having trouble where location based reminders aren't actually triggering. I read a suggestion to reset the Location & Privacy settings and I'm trying that. I'll let you know if it works or not.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Is there any official word on an update to fix the imessage issue? I can't send iMessages to my partner (also on ios7), and it's starting to cost me a fair amount of money.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Did you try the resetting network settings thing?

I've got one friend who notices short lapses in sending ability (maybe once a week or so), but nothing with simply not being able to send at all.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A reboot has fixed it the one or two times that bug affected me. Apparently the more drastic network settings reset is necessary for some though.

Hopefully we get word on a 7.1 release next week.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

The Modern Leper posted:

Is there any official word on an update to fix the imessage issue? I can't send iMessages to my partner (also on ios7), and it's starting to cost me a fair amount of money.

You each could install WhatsApp or something similar until the issue is resolved, no?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How come my Siri doesn't work like in the Siri commercials when it's plugged into a car? Like I'll be playing music (iTunes Radio if it matters) and when I get a new text message it won't make the chime, it just vibrates. I double checked and my silence switch wasn't turned on. I thought Siri was suppose to announce that I got a new text message from Jessie James and ask if I wanted it read out loud? If I activate Siri then I can tell her to read back that text message and then I can respond, but I can't get her to read out loud what I've written.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think message delivery announcements or reading your reply aloud were ever advertised in commercials for Siri, but it's been a while since I've seen the commercials.

Some of those seem like no brainer improvements for using iOS in the car though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Boris Galerkin posted:

How come my Siri doesn't work like in the Siri commercials when it's plugged into a car? Like I'll be playing music (iTunes Radio if it matters) and when I get a new text message it won't make the chime, it just vibrates. I double checked and my silence switch wasn't turned on. I thought Siri was suppose to announce that I got a new text message from Jessie James and ask if I wanted it read out loud? If I activate Siri then I can tell her to read back that text message and then I can respond, but I can't get her to read out loud what I've written.

With my car (2013 Chevy Volt) it does chime, but it routes through the car's bluetooth phone integration, (the car essentially treats it like a phone call,) and I frequently, but not always, miss the first second or two of the audio.

Edit: the only time Siri acts like you describe is when there are headphones plugged into the phone, because everyone spends their entire day wearing earbuds, right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

With my car (2013 Chevy Volt) it does chime, but it routes through the car's bluetooth phone integration, (the car essentially treats it like a phone call,) and I frequently, but not always, miss the first second or two of the audio.

This drives me nuts. It takes my Hyundai Tucson like 4-5 seconds for my car to get into listen mode after I activate Siri. Of course on the phone it times out before the car starts listening, so Siri is basically unusable.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
When I sell my old iPhone, should I publicly list the IMEI/MEID printed on the back of the box? Did some searching but saw conflicting discussions as to whether it was safe or not. If there's no risk, I'd like buyers to see for themselves that the ESN is clean.

MrYenko posted:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This drives me nuts. It takes my Hyundai Tucson like 4-5 seconds for my car to get into listen mode after I activate Siri. Of course on the phone it times out before the car starts listening, so Siri is basically unusable.
If I'm in a situation where I need to hear Siri prompts (like navigating an unfamiliar route) I'm always sure to have music playing, because the car's bluetooth will already be fully engaged and I won't miss anything.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 17, 2013

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Anyone know how to stop the random invisible updates from appearing in the App Store?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Djarum posted:

Anyone know how to stop the random invisible updates from appearing in the App Store?

Are you on iOS 6 or 7?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Has anyone run into leaving a game or an app, and having the iOS font changed to a different font? I first notice this going to iMessage from a game and the font completely different than the iOS normal font. It is almost like iOS gets confused and starts using the font of that was in the game I was playing.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Resetting Location & Privacy settings and then rebooting my iPhone seems to have fixed location-based reminders, I got the test one I had set when I got home today. Just rebooting didn't fix it, and just resetting the settings didn't, but resetting the settings, then rebooting the phone seems to have worked.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

When I sell my old iPhone, should I publicly list the IMEI/MEID printed on the back of the box? Did some searching but saw conflicting discussions as to whether it was safe or not. If there's no risk, I'd like buyers to see for themselves that the ESN is clean.

If I'm in a situation where I need to hear Siri prompts (like navigating an unfamiliar route) I'm always sure to have music playing, because the car's bluetooth will already be fully engaged and I won't miss anything.

I don't have any problem with hearing anything from the phone, such as navigation directions, whether I'm plugged in via USB or on Bluetooth. I can't get it to accept any input unless I try like 15 times and happen to catch it before it times out. Frustrating.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

spongeworthy posted:

Are you on iOS 6 or 7?

6.1.4 on a iPhone 5

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Djarum posted:

6.1.4 on a iPhone 5

I think they are from apps which have updates but are for iOS 7 only. I'm getting it as well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

spongeworthy posted:

I think they are from apps which have updates but are for iOS 7 only. I'm getting it as well.

As long as I am not the only one. It is just annoying.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Djarum posted:

As long as I am not the only one. It is just annoying.

Maybe you should update your phone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

What if his/her spouse isn't allowing it?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
There really, REALLY needs to be a better way to read your old texts than just "continue scrolling up a few texts, hit "load more messages," and eventually get a month back or so before it crashes. If you could just jump to date that would be great, but it's kinda ridiculous that you can't actually jump to a text even when spotlight searching finds it. If you search for an old address or something you got via text, spotlight will preview it, you click it, and then it just takes you to the most recent texts with that person.

:rubshands:

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Onslaught posted:

There really, REALLY needs to be a better way to read your old texts than just "continue scrolling up a few texts, hit "load more messages," and eventually get a month back or so before it crashes. If you could just jump to date that would be great, but it's kinda ridiculous that you can't actually jump to a text even when spotlight searching finds it. If you search for an old address or something you got via text, spotlight will preview it, you click it, and then it just takes you to the most recent texts with that person.

:rubshands:
What percentage of iphone users do you reckon need instant random access to old texts?

Why do you need such access? I don't mean to disregard your wishes, I'm simply curious as such a desire seems to me to be so rare as to be a non issue. But I'm old, so there's that. Are the kids into sharing old texts a lot these days?

:corsair:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't know about having an interface to jump (which I don't think is necessary) but Spotlight should definitely take you to the message it found regardless of when it was received. Probably a bug, if not an oversight.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
It would also be nice if iTunes just backed up your messages and let you view them on your computer as a text document. There used to be third party ways to do that, but nothing so far with iOS 7.

I'm hopping mad!

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

carry on then posted:

I don't know about having an interface to jump (which I don't think is necessary) but Spotlight should definitely take you to the message it found regardless of when it was received. Probably a bug, if not an oversight.
You mean include full text of SMS/iMessages in spotlight searches?

I don't think I'd like that, but I guess if you could turn it off like other spotlight options it'd be OK.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

That isn't remotely what I said. I said that when touching the result in Spotlight it really should take you to the specific message, not just the bottom of the conversation it happened in.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

carry on then posted:

That isn't remotely what I said. I said that when touching the result in Spotlight it really should take you to the specific message, not just the bottom of the conversation it happened in.
:monocle: sorry, it seems spotlight does search texts, at least in iOS7. And in the test I just did it took me right to the matching part of the text message thread, not to the bottom.

Are you sure the bottom of the thread doesn't have a match as well and it's not just jumping to the most recent match? I don't have enough texts with redundant terms to test that since I purged most everything when upgrading to iOS7.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

randyest posted:

:monocle: sorry, it seems spotlight does search texts, at least in iOS7. And in the test I just did it took me right to the matching part of the text message thread, not to the bottom.

Are you sure the bottom of the thread doesn't have a match as well and it's not just jumping to the most recent match? I don't have enough texts with redundant terms to test that since I purged most everything when upgrading to iOS7.
From previous experience I thought it just jumped to the bottom too, but testing it out now it's jumping to the right message like you say (seems new to me), but not for all of them. Maybe it jumps properly if it's within the loaded messages?

Nnep
Jun 17, 2007

3-2 2-0

randyest posted:

You mean include full text of SMS/iMessages in spotlight searches?

I don't think I'd like that, but I guess if you could turn it off like other spotlight options it'd be OK.

Nosy girlfriend/wife eh?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Endless Mike posted:

I am waiting for the jailbreak for 6.1.4 as I like it tweaked on iOS 6 than on iOS 7.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Djarum posted:

I am waiting for the jailbreak for 6.1.4 as I like it tweaked on iOS 6 than on iOS 7.

There is a nice android thread you might want to check out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I don't think running Android is really comparable to running a jailbroken iOS.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Djarum posted:

How DARE you have preferences and desires other than the most recent additions Apple has created and bestowed upon you to enjoy?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

There is a nice android thread you might want to check out.
You sure are defensive about how other people chose to use their cell phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just wanted to say that holy poo poo coming from the awful piece of poo poo that is the galaxy nexus, the 5s is like the best phone ever

it's nice having an awful app that isn't a turd like the android one too

• Locked thread