Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus
My facebook feed is busy explaining to me how the shutdown was a fake inside job because federal workers were just itching for a little paid vacation time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BrotherAdso posted:

My facebook feed is busy explaining to me how the shutdown was a fake inside job because federal workers were just itching for a little paid vacation time.

9/11 was an inside job because the passengers wanted to get out of the plane quicker.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

archangelwar posted:

The whole site seems to have site wide https so unless they decided to turn it off specifically for some part that includes your SSN then this sounds like a myth.

Its possible that happened on one of the state run websites, only states that didn't set up their own exchange use the federal website, but I haven't actually heard that before.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

greatn posted:

Didn't John McAfee literally murder a guy and run to Venezuela?

He ended up in Belize and spent his time trying to create an ultimate form of "Bath Salts." He then consumed this new ultimate drug by injecting it up his rear end.

I don't take McAfee very seriously.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

BrotherAdso posted:

I'm going to preach to the converted again and say that a vacation where you don't know if you are going to get paid, have to hang around in case it is called off, and all your co-worker hate you for your "free time off" when theywere the ones with the solid paycheck, (I qualify for broadcasting the hate rays), and the public hates you as a do nothing bureaucrat, is no vacation.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

OOPS MY BAD, I DIDN'T REALIZE I WAS DEALING WITH A LIBERAL THERE ROBERT, BUT WHEN YOU MISH/MASH WORDS TO MAKE YOURSELF LOOK SMART WHILE MAKING OTHERS LOOK STUPID, YOU REALLY ONLY MAKE YOU LOOK DUMB!!! YES THERE ARE CHRISTIANS, WHICH I CAN TELL YOU MUST NOT BE, ALL OVER THE WORLD, BUT I AM TALKING ABOUT THE ONES PRAYING TO ALLAH JUST BEFORE THEY PUSH THE BUTTON ON THEIR BACK PACK BOMB!!! FOR ONE AM TIRED OF HAVING TO CHANGE MY WAY OF LIFE TO ACCOMMODATE OTHERS THAT CHOOSE TO LIVE THE AMERICAN LIFE!!! OUT OF RESPECT FOR MY FRIEND MIKE I WON'T GET INTO A PISSING CONTEST WITH YOU ON HIS POST, BUT YOUR WAY OF THINKING IS WHAT IS DESTROYING OUR COUNTRY!!!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Hello I work in Communications. How do I comma?

Todd Winer, Communications Director for Rep. Raúl R. Labrador (ID-01) posted:

LABRADOR VOTES AGAINST OBAMACARE, ADDING MORE DEBT

WASHINGTON, D.C.— Rep. Raúl Labrador (R-ID) released the following statement tonight after voting against a Senate insider deal to fund ObamaCare through January 15, while adding hundreds of billions to the national debt before the next debt ceiling, which was postponed until February 7:

“Like nearly all of my colleagues, I promised my constituents in 2010 and 2012 that I would fight ObamaCare - not just cast symbolic, meaningless votes – but work hard to roll it back whenever and wherever possible. I also promised that I would oppose raising the debt ceiling without meaningful cuts to government spending.

“During the past month, Republicans in Congress have been united on the issue of ‘fairness’ for the American people on health care. We also stood strong on the debt ceiling, insisting we would not raise it without reducing the debt. Unfortunately, what Congress is passing today gets us out of the immediate political mess engulfing Washington D.C. without making any substantial changes for the American people."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If I lived in Labrador, I wouldn't want Obamacare, either.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

This is making to rounds on the right wing media sites from a Fox News interview, I can't find it on any non-crazy sources.
Funny you should say that.

Dad posted:

I did searches on it and did not find anything disputing the claims and it's been out there for a while, so assumed it was factual.
"That's because the story was wholly manufactured and distributed within the right-wing echosystem (tm)"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You should tell your dad how absurd that statement is and show your dad the bit Gilbert Godfried did during the roast of Bob Saget (Bob Saget did not rape and kill a girl in 1990, if you have evidence that Bob Saget raped and killed a girl in 1990, you should step forward, because he did not do it, etc.)

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
They're not denying it because a denial would spread and lend credence to the false information. Ask your dad how he thinks this headline would go over: "Administration Denies Obamacare Identity Theft Scam."

A lot of people would probably:

A. Assume the government was lying.
B. Eventually not recall the first two words because of how memory works.

Either way, it'd do nothing to actually quell the rumor. Better to wait and let it die out on its own.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrotherAdso posted:

It wasn't a shutdown at all!

quote:

How was it not a shutdown? Well...

83% of the government was still running.
Military was still running.
Park service was still running, though they shifted from helping people to writing tickets on people.

Basically, very little actually stopped compared to the size of the government. If 83% of your company is running, do you say your company has shut down? For any given thing, if it's 83% active, do you call it inactive?

Likewise, the restart wasn't a restart, because nothing's really being reset or changed or started - again, 83% of things were ALREADY going, and most of the "stop" included closing empty parking lots and having people come to work while simply deferring their pay for two weeks.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
The "83%" figure comes from an anonymous Republican. The percentage actually comes from, not surprisingly, his rear end. It's not actually "83%" of the government personnel or programs. It's "83%" of money being spent by the government. Including mandatory spending that isn't affected by the CR.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 17, 2013

CarterUSM
Mar 17, 2004
Cornfield aviator

Xombie posted:

The 83% figure comes from an anonymous Republican. The percentage actually comes from, not surprisingly, his rear end.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are a little over 2.6 million full-time employees.

And assuming an initial furlough of 800,000 people (before they started doing piecemeal refunding for high-visibility things that look good to the voters at home), that means that about 31% of all federal employees were sent home.

Of course, this doesn't begin to cover the number of federal contractors whose incomes were affected as well, but the 85% number is wildly overestimated (SURPRISE!).

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

CarterUSM posted:

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are a little over 2.6 million full-time employees.

And assuming an initial furlough of 800,000 people (before they started doing piecemeal refunding for high-visibility things that look good to the voters at home), that means that about 31% of all federal employees were sent home.

Of course, this doesn't begin to cover the number of federal contractors whose incomes were affected as well, but the 85% number is wildly overestimated (SURPRISE!).

Several agencies still had enough money to keep running, and many of the ones that weren't furloughed were working without pay. As the debt limit was reached and the shutdown dragged on, that number would have increased. They would still be giving that 83% figure as if it meant anything, because the vast majority of it is mandatory spending, and has nothing to do with personnel numbers.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 17, 2013

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

It wasn't a shutdown at all!

See, the government was running without all of its dead weight. Clearly the Post Office and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services are the best departments.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
If the government had to stop all of it's nonessential services, and 83% of the government was still running, I'd say that the government does some pretty essential things.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
It must be "hate on people on public assistance" week on Facebook.

[IMG].[/IMG]

She posted a nice message about not judging people and made it mean :(

nyquil hangover fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 14, 2013

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
What was that line? "Judge not lest ye be judged"?

Eh...this is different. They didn't have welfare then.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=655474791130257

Video about a vet and cop tellin' it strait

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Anyone have a quick and dirty (with numbers if possible) retort to this "church of Reaganomics" blog post?

http://factreal.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/reaganomics-the-success-of-president-reagans-economic-policies/

Apparently the blog post is sourcing this Forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2011/05/05/reaganomics-vs-obamanomics-facts-and-figures/

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 18, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

aBagorn posted:

Anyone have a quick and dirty (with numbers if possible) retort to this "church of Reaganomics" blog post?

http://factreal.wordpress.com/2012/01/30/reaganomics-the-success-of-president-reagans-economic-policies/

Apparently the blog post is sourcing this Forbes article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2011/05/05/reaganomics-vs-obamanomics-facts-and-figures/

I wonder how those numbers compare for Clinton? Hmmm, let's look at GDP, going by these numbers
http://www.multpl.com/us-gdp-inflation-adjusted/table
Both Reagan and Clinton had the economy grow by about 26%, which I guess is close enough to a 1/3 for them. Also the reduction in inflation was near entirely because of Volcker contracting the money supply and massively increasing interest rates, the Volcker appointed by Jimmy Carter. Also the debt under Reagan went up near 300% all so he could do things like reactivate WW2 battleships and kick mentally ill people onto the streets. Meanwhile they it only went up around 20% under Clinton and is currently only around 70% for Obama.

This is my favorite part though

quote:

The Reagan Recovery kicked off a historic 25-year economic boom (with short recessions in 1990 and 2001.)

Recessions totally don't count after the country has been baptized by Reagan, especially not the one that happened when Reagan was president.

Lansdowne
Dec 28, 2008

One of my facebook friends is some horrible intersection of internet atheist/libertarian/monsanto/common core poster. I never try to interact with him though, because I wouldn't want to stanch my access to absolute gems of batshittery like this blog he linked. I have no idea how he squares this with his atheism. I guess old religions are crazy, but this one old power diagram of concentric circles totally looks like this other science thing that looks like concentric circles and that is TOTALLY MEANINGFUL for some ill-defined reason I guess.

quote:

Unless you were hanging out in a cave all of last year, you might remember seeing this contraption in the news:

[picture of LHC]

The Large Hadron Collide is a multi-billion dollar instrument that made headlines in 2012 for making one of the most important scientific discoveries of the past 50 years.

What didn’t make headlines, though, is its uncanny resemblance to this 12,000-year-old symbol...

[picture of some weird drawing thing that's not really similar]

… and how there may be much more to this device and its discovery than meets the eye.

Buckle up, things are about to get weird...

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is a particle collider widely known as "one of mankind's greatest engineering achievements".

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) spent 10 years building it - from 1998 to 2008 - with the help of over 10,000 scientists and engineers.

Its total development cost? Oh, about $4.75 billion.

LHC or otherwise, CERN is one of the planet's most important research organizations.

Since 1954, this Geneva-based supergroup has brought together brilliant minds to conduct high-energy physics research... often with game-changing results.

CERN scientists were responsible for creating the World Wide Web. And for winning the Nobel Prize in Physics on two occasions.

But it's arguable that even these milestones are dwarfed by one monumental discovery the LHC made back in July 2012...

The LHC's greatest achievement (so far)
The LHC entered the public eye last year when it was used to find the elusive Higgs Boson: a class of fundamental elementary particle that gives other particles weight.

The theory surrounding the Higgs Boson is that a Higgs energy field exists everywhere. And that particles moving around in this field attract Higgs Bosons, which group together around them.

This is why some scientists call it the 'God Particle': because without it, nothing may physically exist.

And yet since the Higgs Boson was brought to light in 1964 by physicist Peter Higgs, no scientist was ever able to find it or even prove its existence - until now, almost half a century and an expenses bill of $13.25 billion later.

Physicist Martin Archer calls it "the last missing piece of our current understanding of the most fundamental nature of the universe". And many experts believe it holds the key to as-of-yet undetermined future technologies that could change mankind's destiny.

But what if there’s more to the LHC and the Higgs Boson than people think?

Let's go back to the symbol shown in the beginning of this article: the Sri Yantra, a 12,000-year-old geometric tantric ritual drawing used for centuries for meditation, concentration and creating a person’s desired outcomes.

The Sri Yantra is a form of sacred geometry: a type of shape, motif or pattern that scientists, architects and even spiritual leaders will agree holds the mathematical or numerological essence of the universe itself.

Some even call it “the fingerprint of God”.

Have you ever heard of the Golden Ratio? Platonic Solids? The Egg of Life? These principles that exist around us and within us are just a tiny example of the sacred geometry that the world’s smartest people often harness to create breathtaking works of art, science and engineering.

The Sri Yantra, however, is arguably one of the most enduring and powerful. Yantra in Sanskrit means “Power Diagram”. Sri Yantra, therefore, translates as “King of Power Diagrams”. The common English translation is "Instrument of Creation".

Hindu, Buddhist and tantric traditions consider the Sri Yantra an individual’s gateway to liberation… and the understanding of the entire universe.

By the way, did you know there’s a statue of Shiva, the Hindu God of Transformation, just in front of CERN’s headquarters in Geneva?

And the plot further thickens when you learn Shiva is depicted in the ‘Nataraj’ pose: which symbolizes him in a divine dance intended to neutralize the existing universe… and start the process of creation anew.

Hmmm...

Are you starting to see the connections between this ancient symbol and the modern scientific marvel that is the LHC?

Since before recorded history, monks and yogis have used the Sri Yantra as the centerpiece of their ancient meditative and manifestation rituals.

They will start by meticulously drawing each level of the Sri Yantra onto either sand or paper.

Then, as they draw each level, they focus their full intention on their desired outcome, and how these levels contribute to that outcome.

In other words... similar to the LHC, the Sri Yantra is an instrument that can be used to understand the nature of how things come to be. Whether it's a physical object, a person, or a specific outcome.

The difference? According to Hindu and Buddhist tradition, the Sri Yantra actually empowers you to transfer the things you desire in your thoughts... to a tangible element of your physical reality.

In fact the very nature of this symbol represents the balanced union of spirituality and science: a place where you will uncover your highest potential as a professional, a lover, a problem solver, a visionary, a creator, and a human being.

If this is starting to sound a little out-there, just remember:

What sets the Sri Yantra apart from most other metaphysical tropes is the staggering amount of convincing scientific evidence that support the claims of its otherworldly power. For instance...

1. An EEG study by Russian scientists at Moscow University found that the Sri Yantra can induce a meditative or hypnotized state of mind - just by looking at it.

Source: Biology Faculty of Moscow University, October 30, 1987

2. In his paper Art as Technology, award-winning artist Bill Witherspoon offers a detailed account of how drawing the Sri Yantra symbol in an Oregon crop field increased its yield, soil fertility and plant nutrients.

Source: John Hopkins University - Project MUSE digital library

3. In 1997, an Indian researcher by the name of RKS Muthukrishnan used fractal mathematics to deduce that the Egyptian Pyramids were engineered with the exact same angular measurements as the Sri Yantra.

Source: The Hindustan Times Oct, 28 1997 - Pyramidal Facts page no. 13

4. Renowned American physicist Dr. Patrick Flanagan calls the Sri Yantra “the king of power diagrams”, and describes its energetic effect as seventy times greater than that of a pyramid construction.

Source: Research paper by Marcus Schmieke featuring Dr. Flanagan's findings

The key to awakening the Sri Yantra's creation powers in your own life - without spending billions of dollars in the process :) - is to realize that every positive force, natural phenomenon and law you can tap into to create desired outcomes in your life... can be divided into specific embedded within the Sri Yantra itself.

In other words, once you know how to unlock its power... this symbol is a mind-body-spirit game plan for realizing your greatest life!

I now invite you to start elevating your life with the secrets of the Sri Yantra: either through your own research, or through this free Reality Bending course that I share with my community of over 10,000 'Reality Hackers' worldwide.

P.S. What if all this is just one big coincidence? Well… check out this comparison of an Aztec calendar with another shot of the LHC.

[picture of big stone Aztec calendar thing]

Could it be that apart from Hindu and Buddhist culture, the Mayans also knew something about this whole concept of ‘creating’ reality? That’s a question for another blog post…

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lansdowne posted:

One of my facebook friends is some horrible intersection of internet atheist/libertarian/monsanto/common core poster. I never try to interact with him though, because I wouldn't want to stanch my access to absolute gems of batshittery like this blog he linked. I have no idea how he squares this with his atheism. I guess old religions are crazy, but this one old power diagram of concentric circles totally looks like this other science thing that looks like concentric circles and that is TOTALLY MEANINGFUL for some ill-defined reason I guess.

Dammit, he got us. We thought we could sell mankind concentric circle patterns as a new scientific discovery. And we would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those meddling bloggers.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I saw this anti-vaccine website posted by a friend.

http://thepeopleschemist.com/reasons-dont-vaccinate-children-vaccine-supporters-shouldnt-give/

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
gently caress this guy and his tired "I fought for your freedom" bullshit. Were we really in Iraq to make sure that John Q. Taxpayer could own an AR-15? And "My right trumps your death"? He may want to think of a better way to sell the proposition that essentially unrestricted private gun ownership is so important that the deaths of several dozen children (again, and again, and again) are worth it.

Ratmtattat
Mar 10, 2004
the hairdryer

I just love his justification for not immunizing against measles, the mumps, and such. It all revolves around the idea that we are stronger people if we are exposed to more stuff. It's true that our immune systems can become stronger if we are exposed to bad things, which is what vaccines do. So instead of having a potentially life-altering bout of measles, children can be exposed to it through a method that is very unlikely to hurt them.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Indeed, if exposing us to more stuff makes us stronger, then wouldn't exposure to :siren: TOXINS :siren: be a good thing?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mornacale posted:

Indeed, if exposing us to more stuff makes us stronger, then wouldn't exposure to :siren: TOXINS :siren: be a good thing?

No, because the mooching class shouldn't be reliant on the government to strengthen their immune systems. It weakens the natural Social Darwinism that society needs to survive. True citizens use their own toxins.

Wait, did I do do this right?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lansdowne posted:

I liked this comment:

Some kid on facebook posted:

With out going into to much detail this is the same reason why the earlier civilizations were compromised. And also the same reason why the Mayans vanished into thin air. This is another move by the ones that are still playing the polarity game recreating similar timelines so that they can esablish control through this technology. You can't imagine the impact this has on dimensions and the universal matrix and the effects. And this symbol is not the end all either. Geometry it self has been manipulated through act of the polarity game that was created on both dark and light sides. So it became fragmented and there are many that get caught up into these things, which is just part of the journey as the continue to reveal these things.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lansdowne posted:

That's just one of the 7 detectors circling the LHC. What about the other 6 detectors, that look only vaguely similar? (In that they're round and have wires)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is happening:

I'm Reed Iculous :3:

Any suggestions for continuing to troll Scotch Tape here? I feel kind of guilty about it because I was always on him to read Ayn Rand years ago in my Randroid days but he never did until just last year and now he has to work through the usual period of hyperventilating about slavery every time the EPA doesn't let the market sell him contaminated drinking water or whatever.

Oh keep in mind we're both white and the OP is a black woman so I'm afraid of making it a "white boys arguing about who totally knows more about being a slave" :ohdear:

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

This is happening:

I'm Reed Iculous :3:

Any suggestions for continuing to troll Scotch Tape here? I feel kind of guilty about it because I was always on him to read Ayn Rand years ago in my Randroid days but he never did until just last year and now he has to work through the usual period of hyperventilating about slavery every time the EPA doesn't let the market sell him contaminated drinking water or whatever.

Oh keep in mind we're both white and the OP is a black woman so I'm afraid of making it a "white boys arguing about who totally knows more about being a slave" :ohdear:

A good way to troll him is bring up quotes from right wingers talking about how slavery was ultimately a good thing for African Americans.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

TheMadMilkman posted:

I liked this comment:

WHat the hell was that insanity?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

AShamefulDisplay posted:

A good way to troll him is bring up quotes from right wingers talking about how slavery was ultimately a good thing for African Americans.

Nice try, you scamp, but I'm not going to risk even accidentally looking pro-slavery on a public forum.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KomradeX posted:

WHat the hell was that insanity?

http://www.bryandeflores.com/ ?

I was guessing time cube at first, but it looks more like this guy.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

VitalSigns posted:

Nice try, you scamp, but I'm not going to risk even accidentally looking pro-slavery on a public forum.

Just keep hammering on the fact that the CSA were traitors.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

Any suggestions for continuing to troll Scotch Tape here?
I don't know about trolling him, but it's a pretty big leap to go from literally owning people to "making me take responsibility for my health care or face a fine." I know in the libertarian mind taxes=slavery though, as does literally anything else that falls under the category of "things I willingly take advantage of but don't want to have to pay for"

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Lansdowne posted:

There's a whole separate stupid email/article species devoted to Indocentric ideas. (Did I just make up that word?) They mostly revolve around one of two flavors: 1) "Oh, this scientific/architectural/medical breakthrough? Yeah, India had that in like 3,000,000 BC. The Rig Veda mentions the Large Hadron Collider." Which goes into species 2) "The only reason India doesn't rule the world is because of British imperialism."

It's mostly charming until Hindu nationalists use them as propaganda and start fights IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
http://clotureclub.com/tea-party-insult-generator/

I could just read this instead of going to facebook.