Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DrManiac posted:

Somebody said something about the digital version crashing more. It's probably not my PS3 since it's a slim and I never had freezing problems with any other game before.

I have the disc version and it froze for me playing an animation. Really hard to justify spending my limited time on it when it might freeze up on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
That HL trick didn't work too well for me but you can just spam very cheap items to the senate to make around half of them dark blue. Works even more reliably.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I had to reload a few times until I lucked out on a special senator that wanted an orb. Now I have billions of HL and was finally able to outfit my whole team instead of stealing garbage from enemies. Having crap gear did lead to an interesting final boss fight though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm pretty sure that video that was linked is predicated on calling the Senate over and over until you get that specific presiding ghost dude, because he's the only one that wants that specific item that you stocked up on a few dozen of, and consistently forces a complete win if you wake him up with a bomb first.

Like Marogareh said, though, sometimes you can win out on a different Special Senator.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

DrManiac posted:

Somebody said something about the digital version crashing more. It's probably not my PS3 since it's a slim and I never had freezing problems with any other game before.

I have the digital version on a slim PS3, and D2 is the first game ever that froze up on it. I have not played this game since my last post, and will not do so until a patch is released.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I haven't played any Disgaeas since 2 due to not having a PS3 until now. Should I pick up D2 or Disgaea 4?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Drythe posted:

I haven't played any Disgaeas since 2 due to not having a PS3 until now. Should I pick up D2 or Disgaea 4?

They're pretty different games from each other. D2's system definitely feels like a sequelized progression of 1's, with lots of fantastic evolutionary updates. If you go with that one first, it'll feel familiar enough. Disgaea 4 has some pretty big changes from the way 1 and 2 played. Not so much with combat; there aren't any significant adjustments I can think of there. You'll have a little bit of re-learning and acclimation to get used to regarding unit development, but it's still a pretty good game. Hell, if you find your way into a Vita, I'd suggest getting Disgaea 3 for that since it contains all the DLC content, waiting for 4 to release since it'll have all the DLC content, and playing D2 to pass the gap.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I'd get them both. I started the series on 3 but finished 4 and have just started D2, 4 and D2 (so far) are both excellent games. Plus you can get disgaea 4 extremely cheap now. Might be worth getting 4 first then D2 after youre finished with 4 and the price of D2 has gone down a bit.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
I wouldn't really suggest playing Disgaea games back to back. Going from mega postgame in one to starting out in the next seems like it would burn a lot of people out really fast, but maybe that's just me?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Thats probably true. Im really enjoying getting back into disgaea with D2 but thinking about it its been about 2 years since I played number 4.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I dunno. I sorta like playing through the early game while everything is still a threat. Replaying D4 a while ago I bumrushed to item world and unlocked magic knight and have been using one in place of Valvatorez as my main character, and in Disgaea 2 DHD I'm doing a run using Ash as my main character.

Challenge runs and stuff can really liven up that gap. Trying to break the game over your knee as soon as possible is fun too, like seeing how early you can find a grinding map. You can potentially be a high enough level in Disgaea 2 to unlock LoC as soon as the item world opens on your first playthrough.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Picked up Disgaea 4 today. I think I actually like the main cast more than Laharl and Co. this time, something I didn't feel at all on number 2. In fact I rushed through just to unlock Laharl and Flonne on that one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Drythe posted:

Picked up Disgaea 4 today. I think I actually like the main cast more than Laharl and Co. this time, something I didn't feel at all on number 2. In fact I rushed through just to unlock Laharl and Flonne on that one.

3 has an interesting cast overall too, 2 is just kinda hosed up. 2 is like the black sheep it does so much different. There is even the felony system or whatever it was. Its just so different. D2 on the other hand is kinda what 2 would have been if they actually followed the path the games seemed to go after 2.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

What's the grinding map pre Ordeals in this game?

Good Citizen posted:

The last map of chapter 2 early on. 6-1 with enemy level set to 9 when you can handle it.

Thanks for this. I started on the postgame yesterday and just came here looking for that exact information.

I actually have Cave of Ordeals 6 open, but my mage is my only humanoid strong enough to clear it. I miss Magichange. :saddowns:

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So with the Demon Dojo, I realized that the only rooms that level up are the ones that have members that I use in battles, so I have to be more conscious of assigning my go-to dudes to the ones I want to level, like +exp.

Does fielding two guys from one house of the Dojo in a battle make it grow faster than just fielding one of them?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't believe so, no.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To be clear, do Thieves keep the stats they steal from enemies?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be clear, do Thieves keep the stats they steal from enemies?
Not through reincarnations, although I've heard they do through promotion.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nakar posted:

Not through reincarnations, although I've heard they do through promotion.

No, not that. I was just having a bit of trouble counting last night and wasn't sure my Thief was keeping those stats even after battle. :sweatdrop:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Yes, they're permanent. They just don't persist through reincarnations like kill bonus stats. As long as your Thief doesn't need to reincarnate again you could have her keep stealing and get stats from it I think.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Hey, the cheat menu has multiple pages! I was wondering where stronger enemies went!

Heyyyy, you can set the item world to focus on finding innocents! Why did I not find this earlier :sigh: I've already spent a fair bit of time resetting for finding statisticians and unlocking all monsters early before the item world overpowered me. Hopefully this cuts down a lot on innocent hunting.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just now realized that the item world assembly can be used at the main base and isn't some inside-the-item-world world thing. ugh :sigh:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

floor is lava posted:

I just now realized that the item world assembly can be used at the main base and isn't some inside-the-item-world world thing. ugh :sigh:

And it costs Hell now instead of mana! And on that note, what was the easiest way to find bombs for use in the HL-making assembly abuse?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Devor posted:

And it costs Hell now instead of mana! And on that note, what was the easiest way to find bombs for use in the HL-making assembly abuse?

There's a reasonably common bonus island in the Item World that's occupied by a guy who does nothing but sell items to be used on Senators. That's probably your best option.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I picked up D2 last week (last copy at gamestop, woo) and only was just now able to really start playing and I must say I'm really enjoying it.

The only two NIS games I really was able to get into was the original Disgaea and Makai Kingdom (I'm still mad we never got that PSP re-release ) but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. Being able to gently caress with enemy levels has made early grinding a cakewalk especially since I learned I could just make a tower on the first map and kill the ghost and two mothmen over and over. :v:

I also feel like they made the story mode a bit harder this time around. That map with the pumpkin dudes that can inflict all the status effects on a unit was pretty brutal, and the pirates on the item world are also a challenge. Not regretting my purchase at all.

Oh, one more thing. Is it worth keeping around the generic grunt units or should I reincarnate them into another job? I got a 4 star lady fighter and I'm not sure if it's worth keeping her in her current state or not.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I picked up D2 last week (last copy at gamestop, woo) and only was just now able to really start playing and I must say I'm really enjoying it.

The only two NIS games I really was able to get into was the original Disgaea and Makai Kingdom (I'm still mad we never got that PSP re-release ) but I'm pleasantly surprised so far. Being able to gently caress with enemy levels has made early grinding a cakewalk especially since I learned I could just make a tower on the first map and kill the ghost and two mothmen over and over. :v:

I also feel like they made the story mode a bit harder this time around. That map with the pumpkin dudes that can inflict all the status effects on a unit was pretty brutal, and the pirates on the item world are also a challenge. Not regretting my purchase at all.

Oh, one more thing. Is it worth keeping around the generic grunt units or should I reincarnate them into another job? I got a 4 star lady fighter and I'm not sure if it's worth keeping her in her current state or not.

The story is totally harder if you compare it to 4 where I played the story and ignored the item world entirely until I completed it. If you were clever in 4 you could use geo panels and buffs and debuffs to just plow on through. D2 totally kicks it up end boss fight spoilers (kinda) for D2

That guy is a huge dick and you can't save after beating the first map and immediately get thrown into the 2nd map in his final form. The closer you are the more stats he gets from you, so you have to basically kill the adds then get everyone back into the panel and 1v1 him like you are polite ninja's in a line from an 80s kung-fu movie

holy poo poo is the bad ending from that rather depressing if you happen to lose

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

pixaal posted:

The story is totally harder if you compare it to 4 where I played the story and ignored the item world entirely until I completed it. If you were clever in 4 you could use geo panels and buffs and debuffs to just plow on through.

You can do that in D2 too. I didn't do any Item World or grinding of any kind except to unlock and catch up a ronin for the Chapter 4 boss fight. The enemy AI seems much more aggressive than in 4, and you can often use that to your advantage.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I love that you can stack your team into a tower for easy power leveling, but its a shame you can only have one monster in the tower.

If anyone's on the fence about getting the Fuka & Desco DLC I say go for it. So far they've been a lot more useful to me than the generics they replaced.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Brasseye posted:

I love that you can stack your team into a tower for easy power leveling, but its a shame you can only have one monster in the tower.

If anyone's on the fence about getting the Fuka & Desco DLC I say go for it. So far they've been a lot more useful to me than the generics they replaced.

Generics can get great benefits in post-game reincarnation and whatnot, but for people just hopping into the game and are looking for some npcs with solid inherent abilities, Fuka and Desco are awesome.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think overall you end up with the most usable main game team of named characters in Disgaea 4. By the end you have basically a fully capable team without any generics, if not the most optimized.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Alaan posted:

I think overall you end up with the most usable main game team of named characters in Disgaea 4. By the end you have basically a fully capable team without any generics, if not the most optimized.

The most recent time I played Disgaea 4, I definitely ended up with a fully capable team of named characters, and she was called "Desco". I barely needed anyone else for anything except to charge her Evility. :v:

My memory is hazy: despite having the same number of chapters, is 4 significantly longer than D2, or what? Because I'm pretty sure Desco broke level 100 in that run without any grinding, and I didn't even come close to that with any of my characters in D2.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I found out that armor knight will not unlock until after you fight Barbara.
I had met all of the requirements and had multiple characters/warriors with spears level 7 and higher to no avail...
I fought Barbara and afterwards it immediately unlocked.

Also, How does one "unlock" tower attacks? I recall having to spend mana for them in D4.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ For all of the "or progress story" it should read "and progress the story." None of those unlock until specific story points.

For your latter question, you just need to keep using tower attacks. Characters will learn them over time like weapon mastery.

FractalSandwich posted:

The most recent time I played Disgaea 4, I definitely ended up with a fully capable team of named characters, and she was called "Desco". I barely needed anyone else for anything except to charge her Evility. :v:

Fuse her with a zombie and laugh as she gains practically infinite SP and HP since it regens after every kill.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: /\ For all of the "or progress story" it should read "and progress the story." None of those unlock until specific story points.

For your latter question, you just need to keep using tower attacks. Characters will learn them over time like weapon mastery.

Fuse her with a zombie and laugh as she gains practically infinite SP and HP since it regens after every kill.

I unlocked armor knights before Barbara. I'm 100% sure, because when I looked at Barbara's evilty I was disappointed it wasn't the good one I already had active.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I was going to say that. I've been going through my notes trying to make sure of it, but I'm certain I had an Armor Knight as of Episode 4 or so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Wanderer posted:

I was going to say that. I've been going through my notes trying to make sure of it, but I'm certain I had an Armor Knight as of Episode 4 or so.

They unlock in the first chapter she appears (end of chapter 2 or 3.) You can't get them before that.

I've hit the other requirements for the angel classes, but they haven't unlocked at the start of chapter six. I suspect they don't unlock until near the end.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is possibly a very stupid question, but I know next to nothing about anime. The whole "Pure Flonne" thing is a long-form Pretty Cure joke, right?

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Mokinokaro posted:

They unlock in the first chapter she appears (end of chapter 2 or 3.) You can't get them before that.

I've hit the other requirements for the angel classes, but they haven't unlocked at the start of chapter six. I suspect they don't unlock until near the end.

You can get them after chapter seven I'm pretty sure.

FractalSandwich posted:

This is possibly a very stupid question, but I know next to nothing about anime. The whole "Pure Flonne" thing is a long-form Pretty Cure joke, right?

It's either that and a little Tokusatsu or a major Puella Magi Madoka Magica reference based on the alternate ending.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Dj Meow Mix posted:

You can get them after chapter seven I'm pretty sure.

And they unlock automatically at the start of Chapter 9, so I don't know why they gave them such outlandish level requirements. I guess just as a reference to Disgaea 1? If that was their plan, they could have at least brought EDF Soldiers back too. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I'm probably too early in the game for that, but I've always wondered how you attain the crazy amount of levels Disgaea is famous for.

• Locked thread