Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I kinda love how you can kinda see the DX below all the parts looking super pumped up for them to dry. So I made my next two picks for models, Ball Ver Ka and Astray Blue Frame MGs. Next I kinda want to do a HG grunt suit, doesn't really matter which setting, any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

I kinda love how you can kinda see the DX below all the parts looking super pumped up for them to dry. So I made my next two picks for models, Ball Ver Ka and Astray Blue Frame MGs. Next I kinda want to do a HG grunt suit, doesn't really matter which setting, any suggestions?

GN-X is one of my personal favorites but it's kind of an outlier in the style department.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you like any of the AGE grunt designs I'd go for those, they're designed really well. Alternatively, GM Sniper II, one of the Jestas, or a Zogok, if you can find one.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
That's the GX actually. And I ended up loving up the final coat, so I had to strip all that off and try again. :suicide:

Anyways, the Jesta/Jesta Cannon are pretty drat great.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That's what kills me* about painting... you can spend hours, days perfecting your build and then it can all go to hell in a matter of seconds.

I've always felt bad that my kits are merely snapped and not fully finished but god drat do I hate painting.

* that and the ludicrous toxicity levels, natch.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

muike posted:

If you like any of the AGE grunt designs I'd go for those, they're designed really well. Alternatively, GM Sniper II, one of the Jestas, or a Zogok, if you can find one.

BlitzBlast posted:

That's the GX actually. And I ended up loving up the final coat, so I had to strip all that off and try again. :suicide:

Anyways, the Jesta/Jesta Cannon are pretty drat great.

I actually picked up a Sniper II when it was first released mostly because of the little bugger that came with it. But other than that I'll probably get a GM, Zaku II, Jesta, and I guess Stark Jegan because that thing looks terrific.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Well the 1/60 Koto Laevatin was confirmed. If you'll excuse me I'll be in the corner crying in joy.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Well the 1/60 Koto Laevatin was confirmed. If you'll excuse me I'll be in the corner crying in joy.

that and the metal build, is FMP coming back? Easily my favorite robot anime that was unfortunately stopped before getting to the really cool fights.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

that and the metal build, is FMP coming back? Easily my favorite robot anime that was unfortunately stopped before getting to the really cool fights.

First off, go finish it. Second go find the books. I know a few were translated by Tokyopop and I'm sure you can find them cheap on Amazon. Also if you never watched the Second Raid or Fumoffu go do such.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

First off, go finish it. Second go find the books. I know a few were translated by Tokyopop and I'm sure you can find them cheap on Amazon. Also if you never watched the Second Raid or Fumoffu go do such.

you misunderstand. I said the anime was stopped before getting to the good fights. Specifically the arx-8 doesnt appear in the anime. I am well aware of the manga.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

you misunderstand. I said the anime was stopped before getting to the good fights. Specifically the arx-8 doesnt appear in the anime. I am well aware of the manga.

My apologies, I misread. Yeah the ARX-8 is one of my favorite suit designs ever. I hope it comes with the XL-3 parts.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1/60 for fmp suits, is that about MG size?

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

To be honest I'm not sure. I'd be pretty sweet if it wound up being perfect grade size. However I'm pretty sure the ARX suits aren't anywhere near the size of Gundams.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're around 7-8 meters so yeah it'll be around master grade size.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Yes.

Wanna see Venom and Belial.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just got a steal off Amazon of all places: PG Strike Gundam with express shipping for 155 dollars shipped.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not bad a bad price for a PG, but im always bummed at its deceptively low retail price. It was actually only 14000yen new since the skygrasper was a separate kit.
I am still sitting on a PG 00 raiser I grabbed in Japan. It was $175 since it had the most minor box damage. I took it as carry-on and it just barely fit overhead. So many asian kids got so excited see it on the way to the airport, and no adults gave it a second glance. Made me feel real mature :smith:

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 18, 2013

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I haven't built a snap-together kit since, oh, let's call it 35 years ago, and boy, has the state of the art changed. I'm buying all those 1/1000 kits from Yamato 2199, and the fit quality on some of them is marvelous.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Madurai posted:

I haven't built a snap-together kit since, oh, let's call it 35 years ago, and boy, has the state of the art changed. I'm buying all those 1/1000 kits from Yamato 2199, and the fit quality on some of them is marvelous.

That was the biggest thing that surprised me between 1992 and 2008.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

Gunpla will probably blow your mind then. Absolutely nothing being released right now can even compete with it in terms of quality, parts separation, and price.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Madurai posted:

You need to buy a current-day Gundam my friend. You haven't seen poo poo!

Edit: \/\/\/ - Everything i've seen of PG 00 Raiser pretty much tells me you really don't want the PG, and 00 Raiser is one of my favorite Gundam designs.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 18, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Man, I want a PG 00-Raiser in the worst way, but if I ever spent $300 on a model kit I'm pretty sure I'd have to kill myself.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Bimmi posted:

Man, I want a PG 00-Raiser in the worst way, but if I ever spent $300 on a model kit I'm pretty sure I'd have to kill myself.

That is the internal debate I have all the time and is the only reason I don't have a PG GP-01 or Strike Rouge.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bimmi posted:

It looks great and its technically amazing, but all that articulation is worthless when the size of its backpack and all the accessories make it nearly unposable. Same issues as the FA unicorn.
Im also pretty sure it doesnt come with a stand unless you preordered it and it can barely stand on its own. You know being a space based MS and all that.

is there a go to stand for PGs in case I ever build it?

look at the official images, way to sell it guys!

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 18, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just build the 0 Raiser and put all the missiles and poo poo on it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

is there a go to stand for PGs in case I ever build it?

Ebay to the rescue!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I believe the pre-order stand for the PG 00 is the same one included with the MG Ex-S and PG Skygrasper, for what it's worth.

edit: also, I realize that bigger kits = worse stability, but the only issue I had with my 1/100 00-Raiser was the GN Drive binders drooping under the weight of the Raiser pods, and as I understand it the PG is designed to prevent that.

editx2: apropos of nothing, the unbuilt PG Strike in my closet is about to celebrate its 9th birthday.

editx3: wow, I hadn't realized how much current HG Zakus have changed from the (very lovely) original - they actually look kind of good now!

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 18, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bimmi posted:

I believe the pre-order stand for the PG 00 is the same one included with the MG Ex-S and PG Skygrasper, for what it's worth.

edit: also, I realize that bigger kits = worse stability, but the only issue I had with my 1/100 00-Raiser was the GN Drive binders drooping under the weight of the Raiser pods, and as I understand it the PG is designed to prevent that.

editx2: apropos of nothing, the unbuilt PG Strike in my closet is about to celebrate its 9th birthday.

editx3: wow, I hadn't realized how much current HG Zakus have changed from the (very lovely) original - they actually look kind of good now!

Is that the Zaku Amazing?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Yes it is.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I had assumed all this time that the newer Zaku kits were based off the old tooling, but actually everything is different. Much, much better proportions (yes I am still bitter that the original HGUC Zaku is such a fat piece of poo poo).

It couldn't possibly cost them much now to release updated versions of the S and F/J - wonder if they will?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So to be honest, I was getting kind of disappointed with HG DX. Parts separation is worse than the GX's, there's less optional equipment, the stickers weren't holographic, it's not as posable, etc.

Then I realized it used the exact same polycaps as the GX.

And more than that, a lot of the parts feature extremely similar construction. If I wanted to, it'd be trivially easy to move all of the DX's solar panels onto the GX's body. I think Bandai just sold me on this whole All Gundam thing. :allears:

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Bimmi posted:

I had assumed all this time that the newer Zaku kits were based off the old tooling, but actually everything is different. Much, much better proportions (yes I am still bitter that the original HGUC Zaku is such a fat piece of poo poo).

It couldn't possibly cost them much now to release updated versions of the S and F/J - wonder if they will?

Yeah I was putting together a FS a while back and was put off how bad the proportions are throughout the old zakus compared to the zaku mariner I built last year (which is an awesome kit by the way). I'd like to see them start putting out better versions of the S, FS, F/J, the Goufs, and the Zaku I. They're already putting out all versions for the aces like Johnny Ridden et all, so I don't think it would take much. Perhaps we're more likely to see a RG before getting rebuilds of HGs though.

poo poo, I'm trying to move away from HGs and into MGs, but I'd kill for a new HGUC Gouf Flight Type.

Also if anyone is looking for random HG kits to tool around with I still have a bunch I'm willing to let go of.

Faltion fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 18, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Faltion posted:

I'd like to see them start putting out better versions of the S, FS, F/J, the Goufs, and the Zaku I. They're already putting out all versions for the aces like Johnny Ridden et all, so I don't think it would take much.

The only thing they'd need to redo now for the Zaku are the lower legs, and those are most of the way there already with the Mariner. It would be so absurdly easy and obvious a thing for them to do I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it never happens.

edit: and the backpack I guess – maybe something that doesn't look like a rejected Famicom prototype this time around.

Seriously, check this poo poo. Someone actually said "yes, this is what people want, 1980 styling in the year two thousand freakin' two":

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 18, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I kept on wondering if bandai was going to try and push Gundam in America again, especially with it being available in Barnes and Noble now. Turns out that BN was the one that approached them and asked to sell gunpla. It just seems odd that the US is now their primary market for Godzilla/Monsterarts, Dragonball,and now they're even starting to do it with the Sentai Figuarts (but I doubt that one is sustainable); but they make such little effort with one of their largest product lines.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They made an effort back when Toonami was a thing, it's just that they screwed up so badly (there are a lot of anecdotes of entire aisles filled with only one kit) and burned their bridges so harshly (TRU had to drop the price of PG Wing Zero Custom to like $50 to clear them out) that now most toy retailers won't even look at Gunpla. Similarily, Bandai has practically given up on the west.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Target was the only US chain that seemed to have sensible selections and prices for Gunpla: I just remember Toys 'R' Us having massive aisles full of First Gundam toys and $80 MGs that nobody wanted, and row after row of MSIA Mandala Gundams at Wal-Mart.

Maybe Gunpla wouldn't have caught on even if they'd known what they were doing, but it was a bona fide debacle and I doubt they could have screwed up worse if they'd tried. Almost every aspect of it was botched, from the timing to the product selection to the pricing, and it was hideous to see as it went down in flames. Oh, and those PG Wing Zeros never even made it as far as the shelves at most TRUs – I sure as hell never saw any.

It all feels like a weird fever dream now and I am certain they will never try for this market again in any meaningful way. The idea of Gunpla being sold at Barnes & Noble is a damned peculiar one, though. I mean, why?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

It all feels like a weird fever dream now and I am certain they will never try for this market again in any meaningful way. The idea of Gunpla being sold at Barnes & Noble is a damned peculiar one, though. I mean, why?

Some BN exec's kid probably buys them and dad wondered what the $100 charge on his credit card was when junior bought the MG Epyon from GG Infinite.

None of the BN stores in the WDC area have them - it sounds like it's a west coast/bigger city experiment. BN's website won't admit to having them either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Some BN exec's kid probably buys them and dad wondered what the $100 charge on his credit card was when junior bought the MG Epyon from GG Infinite.

None of the BN stores in the WDC area have them - it sounds like it's a west coast/bigger city experiment. BN's website won't admit to having them either.

Maybe someone miswrote "models" instead of "manga" on an order form and they're just rolling with it? :v:

Seriously though, it's weird as hell trying to work out what could possess a US book store to suddenly start stocking gunpla kits out the blue like this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Barnes and Nobles has been more than a book store for quite a while actually. Every single one I've been to has had tons of toys/board games all over the place, and usually a big music section too. They're probably just doing what they can to survive in a new age of e-books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I don't know if it's just the location here or what, but when I went and asked if they were going to be carrying Gunpla they all looked at me like I was some loser. I'm hoping it catches on here because Hobbytown can have some crazy prices.

• Locked thread