Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The T posted:

The only that makes me go :( is now wanting the originals to songs that aren't in Rock Band, like Gangster's Paradise and Ridin'. I wonder how similar they'd be to base on the Weird Al versions...

Well those wouldn't be that hard to adapt anymore since the charts are already available...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Sex Vicar posted:

Hey, maybe there's room for a second pack with all the missed ones like Trapped In The Drive Thru', Party In The CIA, All About The Pentiums, Angry White Boy Polka, Smells Like Nirvana and The Saga Begins. Right?

Amazing job though. Can't wait to see the next batch.

Yeah, I didn't mean to be negative. Will be a fun pack.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
I would like to profess my undying love for all of you. This is a pack that is like hearing Rock Band 4 has been announced. :)

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Fantastic pack, going to have fun this weekend. Bit disappointed that nobody has mentioned Genius In France yet. (unless you have, and I missed it but that way leads down a deep, dark Zappa hole...)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Polka Power! is probably the best one you could have done for us (except Bohemian Polka, but since we already have Rhapsody..) You're doing the lord's work, pksage and the rest of you lot :allears:.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
That was not at all what I expected. Still awesome though. Keep up the great work!

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
What a great pack! I've been looking forward to it since it was teased, and I am so excited to try them out with my friends. Thank you, Gigakoops, drummerockband, pksage, TrojanNemo, Nyxyxylyth, and Orange Harrison!

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

pksage posted:

• "Weird Al" Yankovic - "Albuquerque" (Gigakoops, drummerockband, and pksage)

I have been waiting forever for this song in particular, definitely busting it out at the next party. Thanks for all the hard work guys!

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Could use more pre-Bad Hair Day Al and more of his original songs, but nice pack. I would have loved When I Was Your Age or Nature Trail to Hell (in 3-D) or Gonna Buy Me a Condo, but maybe next time. I was a full blown Al fan as a kid of the 80s but never really got into his stuff after Bad Hair Day. I don't even recognize most of the songs he parodies now.

Man, When I Was Your Age is such a good song.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a custom high score for how far into Hardware Store's breakdown you get in one breath?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
The variety of "I wish we'd gotten ______!" in this thread really shows the depth of Weird Al's appeal.

If you downloaded Pretty Fly for a Rabbi before this post, please re-download it. I used the original RB2-style camera cuts and lighting from Pretty Fly (For a White Guy), which requires some fancy hacks that I forgot to build into the final version. The result was a static camera angle for the entire song, but the issue has now been fixed.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Bedrock Anthem and Livin' in the Fridge would also be good candidates. Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch, I Want a New Duck and Beverly Hillbillies could all also be done based on the original songs being charted.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
The original song being authored is a good start, but as evidenced by The Saga Begins, it's not always a smooth process. The Saga Begins and American Pie are really different in Rock Band terms, especially on Pro Keys and Guitar.

Basically, I started converting The Saga Begins and it took a big Count Dooku on my face.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
That's ok because neither are great songs.

Yeah that's right, gently caress American Pie.

Edit: has there ever been talk of making the packs available as a single download? Kind of stinks downloading 12 tracks individually. I know it's not a big deal, but the inverse is true as well and not that hard to pack them into one con file and offer that. Just a friendly suggestion I'm sure you've discussed already.

Dr Zaius fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 18, 2013

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dr Zaius posted:

That's ok because neither are great songs.

Yeah that's right, gently caress American Pie.

Edit: has there ever been talk of making the packs available as a single download? Kind of stinks downloading 12 tracks individually. I know it's not a big deal, but the inverse is true as well and not that hard to pack them into one con file and offer that. Just a friendly suggestion I'm sure you've discussed already.

I brought this up to PK, but it's easier for them to update songs with issues when they don't have to also worry about updating the packs as well, getting the first 150ish songs I wanted kinda sucked but now it's painless to click a few extra links.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a custom high score for how far into Hardware Store's breakdown you get in one breath?

There's no vocal solo support, but the practice section immediately before the breakdown is titled "Inhale here".

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Kaboobi posted:

I brought this up to PK, but it's easier for them to update songs with issues when they don't have to also worry about updating the packs as well

This is still the main reason behind not doing it, yeah. Especially for packs with multiple contributors like this one. I've given it a lot of thought since we started, but given the kind of "ad hoc" nature of everything C3 does, it'd be tough to get a proper pack architecture going.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Speaking of that, sometimes it's not always obvious when an updated version is released (especially for really minor changes, where it'll just be kind of tossed into a news post.) Any chance of adding a "last updated" date field into the spreadsheet?

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
We've had so few changes (yes, even to songs that still really need it) that there hasn't been a need. But yeah, you're not the first person to ask this, and the rate of changes has been picking up a bit. I'll be looking into it.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
There's bundling software available to the public from C3's own TrojanNemo anyway, which can package any directory of RB3 content into a single xbox pack. So if you REALLY need customs in packs you can make your own with just a few clicks.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Would have loved All about the Pentiums but I suppose there isn't enough going on in that song to fill the instruments huh?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

C3 releases for October 18, 2013:

New! "Weird Al" Yankovic Pack C01

It's everything I have every asked for. :allears:

You're good people and I can't sing your praises enough. Or at all really, singing's not my strong suit, but whatever, beside the point, being that you rock. All of you.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit

Orange Harrison posted:

There's bundling software available to the public from C3's own TrojanNemo anyway, which can package any directory of RB3 content into a single xbox pack. So if you REALLY need customs in packs you can make your own with just a few clicks.

Yes, I realize this, but my suggestion was to offer a packaged file to make downloading large packs more convenient rather than downloading twelve files individually. It's not a big deal, was just wondering why it wasn't being done already. Pksage says it's because it makes updating files after the fact more complicated, but also that you guys don't update files very often so...anyway, it's your site and you should do what works for you. I'm glad I have customs to nitpick over in the first place.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Dr Zaius posted:

Pksage says it's because it makes updating files after the fact more complicated, but also that you guys don't update files very often so...

This contradiction is not lost on me, don't worry.

Downloading customs is a once-per-week thing, so our official stance is "it's not enough of a hassle for the users for us to start doing packs, sorry". On the flip side of this coin, I'll try and get the Last Updated field in there soon, which will encourage everyone to fix their bugs and reinforce why we don't do packs.

Thanks for all of the Weird Al praise, everyone! Seeing people actually care about our releases is what keeps us going. :3:

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

Thanks for all of the Weird Al praise, everyone! Seeing people actually care about our releases is what keeps us going. :3:

I downloaded them all except I'll Sue Ya (didn't really like it much) and Another One Rides the Bus (doesn't really seem particularly fun).
Thanks for all your hard work, babe.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

This better mean that we're also getting The Night Santa Went Crazy in the inevitable Christmas pack. :colbert:

Seriously though, excellent job from everyone involved. Everything from the charts to song selections feels right on par with Harmonix's own megapacks. Keep up the great work.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I drummed Albuquerque today and now I feel like I don't need to work out for the rest of the week. Also, I hope every song featured in Polka Power eventually gets customed (if we don't already have it!).

John-311
Apr 1, 2005

Hey guys, I re-listed some Rock Band items that didn't get bids during the previous auction for more affordable prices, including the Cherry Red Wooden Full Sized Strat in box, Beatles Hofner Bass in box, and lots of cheap swag bags with rare Harmonix t-shirts: http://john-311.blogspot.com/

To keep the Weird Al discussion going, any way someone could upload a full band expert video of Albuquerque?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If I wanted to get into custom charting what would I need both tool-wise and financially? Also, is your stream documenting how to make a custom chart still archived somewhere? I'd love to at least look at the process and see if it's a thing I would be interested in doing. There are several songs I REALLY would love to play and now that I've found out about customs, they seem within reach.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

John-311 posted:

Hey guys, I re-listed some Rock Band items that didn't get bids during the previous auction for more affordable prices, including the Cherry Red Wooden Full Sized Strat in box, Beatles Hofner Bass in box, and lots of cheap swag bags with rare Harmonix t-shirts: http://john-311.blogspot.com/

To keep the Weird Al discussion going, any way someone could upload a full band expert video of Albuquerque?

My snipe was outbid on the banner (cheers, rear end in a top hat, if that was one of you), so I'll probably bid on one of these re-listed packages. Thanks for putting this together!

If I see any notable Weird Al videos floating around, I'll link them here. I assume videos of customs are kosher, as long as we don't link to C3 directly.

edit

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

If I wanted to get into custom charting what would I need both tool-wise and financially? Also, is your stream documenting how to make a custom chart still archived somewhere? I'd love to at least look at the process and see if it's a thing I would be interested in doing. There are several songs I REALLY would love to play and now that I've found out about customs, they seem within reach.
Financially, you need the same stuff you use for playing customs: a flash drive and an MTV Games pressing of the RB3 disc. For the latter, if you bought the game anywhere near launch, you're good. That is literally it! The rest is all time and sanity. A nice pair of headphones helps a lot, but is not mandatory. REAPER, the program we use, is free forever with a nag screen, but we recommend people pay the USD$40 for a license if you use it a lot. It's a really nice DAW.

My livestreamed tutorial, that may or may not actually be useful, is here: http://www.twitch.tv/pksage/c/2976214

Most people who approach customs charting find that vocals and Pro Keys (but mostly vocals) are their biggest stumbling block. If you don't have a decent ear for pitches and the song you're authoring doesn't have an existing beep-boop style MIDI somewhere on the Internet, vocals authoring will be very challenging for you. My tutorial demonstrates it for a while.

pksage fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 20, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^

Cool, thanks. It doesn't look that difficult, just insanely time consuming to chart all four difficulties + pro on all instruments, as well as vocals. Still, for zero money down I might try it out since it couldn't hurt anything.

e: I didn't intend to watch all two hours in one go but now it's 2:30.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 20, 2013

John-311
Apr 1, 2005

pksage posted:

My snipe was outbid on the banner (cheers, rear end in a top hat, if that was one of you), so I'll probably bid on one of these re-listed packages. Thanks for putting this together!

If I see any notable Weird Al videos floating around, I'll link them here. I assume videos of customs are kosher, as long as we don't link to C3 directly.

My livestreamed tutorial, that may or may not actually be useful, is here: http://www.twitch.tv/pksage/c/2976214

Thanks for bidding and for the support! Watching some of your livestream tutorial yesterday I noticed a brief glimpse of a highly requested track that you have in the works that is also one of the songs in "Polka Power!" medley. I don't want to spoil it but I think everyone here will be very excited. Keep up the great work!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

pksage posted:

C3 releases for October 18, 2013:

New! "Weird Al" Yankovic Pack C01

This is everything I could have wished for, AND MORE! :syoon: Looks like it's finally time to get customs set up.

I, too, would have loved to see All About The Pentiums too, but I also would have loved to see My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder or the precursor to "Inhale Here" with Your Horoscope For Today (man, Running With Scissors was such a good album). And as much as a much younger me would have loved to see I Love Rocky Road, present me is glad I don't have to see it anymore. So, in it's place I'd say Living with a Hernia and I Lost on Jeopardy along with Jurassic Park.

But all those aside, I can't believe I just remembered one of the most important songs that should have been in this pack (or should be in any eventual future pack): UHF

Trash Boat posted:

This better mean that we're also getting The Night Santa Went Crazy in the inevitable Christmas pack. :colbert:

Do a double feature with Christmas at Ground Zero as well and we'll call the project a success.

Also, I too await the day that The Saga Begins is finally completed.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hey pksage, do you run the CCC website? I was just wondering why you guys didn't announce your Rush, Taylor Swift, RBHP megapack. It doesn't show up in your spreadsheet either.

I'm also going to look at the Harmonies upgrades and tweaks. I know Children of Nova's Complexity Of Light is messed up on drums, and that project fixed that, but I already learned it that way.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I just wanna give a huge shoutout and thanks to all of you making customs. I just got my new flash drive in yesterday and loaded them all up with no problems and played my first song (Hotel California). It was amazing and I appreciate all the work yall have done!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

IUG posted:

Hey pksage, do you run the CCC website? I was just wondering why you guys didn't announce your Rush, Taylor Swift, RBHP megapack. It doesn't show up in your spreadsheet either.

I do, yes. The issue here is that the "carousel" at the top of the Wordpress blog only holds so many articles, and we just hit the limit with the Weird Al pack, so it bumped out the Rush/Taylor Swift week. For reference, that was our very first "regular" week after our huge opening-day release back in April (Aretha Franklin, Pink Floyd, Pantera, etc.), and it is in the database! You just have to go back to the beginning using the page buttons at the bottom. :) Potential confusion: Chronologically, it was the same seven-day week as our launch week, so they're all grouped together, but the dates are correct.

I'll go through and reduce the carousel to eight weeks or so at a time so that it's less confusing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, I don't know about the "carousel" as it looks like just a news feed. But yeah, all of the sudden it shows the newest news store, scroll down and it's that one from April, and then stories from April. I didn't notice the dates at first, but I guess that makes sense why you're talking about a "Rapture" coming in April.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
The whole "rapture" thing was their marketing for the initial release, that was all being done before I signed on.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Those of you who do both customs and RBHP, did you do it all on one USB drive when you set up the harmonies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

DancinBrud posted:

Those of you who do both customs and RBHP, did you do it all on one USB drive when you set up the harmonies?

Yep, no difference.

• Locked thread