Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Barnes and Nobles has been more than a book store for quite a while actually. Every single one I've been to has had tons of toys/board games all over the place, and usually a big music section too. They're probably just doing what they can to survive in a new age of e-books.

They've had music and movies for a while, though never as much as Borders did, which was one of the things that killed those guys. Toys and games like themed Risk and Monopoly have been around for a few years, though the Euro games and toys focused at manchildren didn't get big there till a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The best thing about when Gundam was a thing in America were the commercials :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ltt2M_-SDo

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I wasn't talking about selling them to kids (and that's Bandai of America's gig anyways); I meant as an "adult collectors" line, like everything else they bring over. Maybe They also handle the American distribution of kotobukia kits and those are easier to find and have a better selection where I'm at. Or maybe I'm in a lovely location.
Atleast they sell everything on Amazon, but that pretty much eliminates any impulse buys and if I'm going to mailorder, I'll save a few bucks and self-import.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dre2Dee2 posted:

The best thing about when Gundam was a thing in America were the commercials :allears:

I still can't believe that Bandai put that out. Epyon's sword cable is attached to its v-fin. Christ, they come with instructions guys.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I still can't believe that Bandai put that out. Epyon's sword cable is attached to its v-fin. Christ, they come with instructions guys.

LEVEL FOUR. THREE DAYS.

She sounds like she was dropping quaaludes so maybe she wasn't all that focused when she was putting it together.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Monaghan posted:

Haha, I never noticed that before!

Gundam mania was one of the strangest things ever. Endless Waltz's first airing on Toonami on Thanksgiving is still Cartoon Network's highest viewing.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Got in the new Zogok and the Doven Wolf. I'm so excited to build the Zogok. Also the Doven Wolf has so many parts, this thing is going to be huge.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Yeah, this sums up the whole shitshow just perfectly – sell the product in the absolute laziest, Poochiest way possible with "XXtreme attitude" at the forefront and the virtues of the actual product buried in the noise. Granted they were pushing circa-1995 Wing kits so there weren't many virtues there to begin with, but it still shows how far the US marketing team had their heads up their asses as to what they were selling and who they were trying to sell it to. I had a little contact with these guys before they started the campaign, and afterwards I just wanted to shake them and yell "GUNPLA IS NOT A loving SKATEBOARD YOU HOPELESS IDIOTS."

There were subsequent commercials that were more conventional and actually focused on the product – small improvement but improvement nonetheless – but this is the only one anyone remembers. It caught a great deal of mockery from the self-proclaimed Gunpla cognoscenti back in the day, and though they were and remain a bunch of utter shitheads it really was deserved in this case.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 18, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Threw together the HGUC Zogok. It was a pretty fun build overall, and has some really nice additions that are uncommon to HGUC kits generally such as a movable mono-eye and color separation in the legs. Comparing it to a regular Z'gok, there's a lot less joints which make the kit a bit less posable overall, but also make the kit much more stable, as the joints in the z'gok seem to be the major points of failure. If you like aquatic grunts, absolutely get it.

It also has absolutely badass boxart:

Faltion fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 18, 2013

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
What do people think of the PG Zeta? Does it still hold up? I had one like six years ago that suffered a catastrophic accident and I'd like to put together a new one as the centerpiece of a new gunpla collection.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

What do people think of the PG Zeta? Does it still hold up? I had one like six years ago that suffered a catastrophic accident and I'd like to put together a new one as the centerpiece of a new gunpla collection.

Stick with the MG 2.0 Zeta Gundam. The PG has really bad proportions while the 2.0 is about as accurate as it gets.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

The Muffinlord posted:

PG Zeta is pretty outdated now, and its price is equal to 3-4 top tier MGs. For a centerpiece I'd honestly recommend getting the Nu vKa and the upcoming Sazabi vKa instead.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
How's the GP01, then? I'm a bit sad they never made a perfect grade GP02.

Edit:

BlitzBlast posted:

PG Zeta is pretty outdated now, and its price is equal to 3-4 top tier MGs. For a centerpiece I'd honestly recommend getting the Nu vKa and the upcoming Sazabi vKa instead.

This is probably good advice. Maybe I'll build some Titans and Neo Zeon models instead and get more play and building fun.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
How about the PG titans MK-2? The hobbytown near me has one stamped for 50% off, so about $110. Any feedback on that? I've never done a PG before.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Edit: /\/\/\ - I've heard plenty of good things about PG Mk. II(don't own one), so that's a drat good price for one.

The GP01 is still a solid PG kit. I'll second Blitz's recommendation however and say got For Nu and Sazabi ver. ka for a centerpiece.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'd pick up a perfect grade mark II in a heartbeat for that price.

But it's pretty amazing how fast that gundam kits seem to age. I'm working on anmg rick dias from 2004 and it's glaring how old it feels. This hasn't been helped by the fact that for the past year or two I've focused on newer mg's.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 21, 2013

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
After looking at the Nu ver. Ka, I'm definitely going to pick that up. Maybe a perfect grade at a later date, but that thing is gorgeous. Do the funnels do the opening-up thing? How do I get one of those wacky articulating stands?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The Muffinlord posted:

After looking at the Nu ver. Ka, I'm definitely going to pick that up. Maybe a perfect grade at a later date, but that thing is gorgeous. Do the funnels do the opening-up thing? How do I get one of those wacky articulating stands?

The fin funnels do open up, and Nu ver. ka comes with a stand so you can pose the fin funnels.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

TaurusOxford posted:

The fin funnels do open up, and Nu ver. ka comes with a stand so you can pose the fin funnels.

Neat. Definitely going to make this a purchase once I can clear it with the missus.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Consider picking up the BTF Expansion kit too. It'll give you effect parts for the funnels and a much better way of keeping them together. Psychoframe funnels too. :v:

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How about the PG titans MK-2? The hobbytown near me has one stamped for 50% off, so about $110. Any feedback on that? I've never done a PG before.

mkII is pretty solid, but it's a pre-Strike PG. It's outdated, plain and simple. At that price it's a steal though, so knock yourself out. Also don't worry about PGs, the only difference between them and other grades is a poo poo ton more parts. And LEDs, but really easy ones I swear!

EDIT: Probably should note that even an outdated PG is waaaaaaay ahead of your average MG.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 21, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Consider picking up the BTF Expansion kit too. It'll give you effect parts for the funnels and a much better way of keeping them together. Psychoframe funnels too. :v:

I was going to suggest this enhancement.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Nice to see me paying attention to China Gunpla pays off in the thread. :)

Here's some new items for anyone not aware:

Hyper Mega Luncher for RG Zeta Gundam
The dumb-named sword for HG Astray Red Frame
Weapon expansion set for MG 3.0 Rx-78-2
Weapon expansion set for RG RX-78-2
Diecast Gerbera Straight for PG Astray Red Frame

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

If you have to have a Zeta, stay away from the 1.0. I got it on a super sale for like 15 bucks and even for that price it's still a piece of poo poo.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

BlitzBlast posted:

Nice. I wasn't sure about the double fin kit but I'll definitely consider it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Actually yes, I've gotten several things from your notifications. Keep them up!

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So is there a way to get the yellow LED for the 3.0 on its own or do I have to buy that expansion pack?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So is there a way to get the yellow LED for the 3.0 on its own or do I have to buy that expansion pack?

Honestly you can buy a yellow LED at radio shack and come out way cheaper.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

You can buy third party Gundam LEDs on ebay for about 8 dollars shipped, but you have to buy four of them, and the closest color they have is orange.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Oh man, shouldn't have gone to eBay. Almost bought the 1:35 HiNu Display head.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Looks like third parties got their hands on PG Red Frame Astray...or at least its swords.

Edit: Confirmed it's only the swords.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 22, 2013

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Come on Bandai. Announce that hguc FA-Unicorn [destroy mode] we both know is coming so I can ship it together with MG X.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

Come on Bandai. Announce that hguc FA-Unicorn [destroy mode] we both know is coming so I can ship it together with MG X.

Probably not till the animation for Unicorn ep 7 is well underway so there aren't any last minute design changes to surprise them. Same deal with the Banshee Norn - no toys or HGs of either yet. If you're desperate you can kitbash the regular Unicorn NT-D with the FA.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So this is going to be a bit of an odd question, but I need pictures of people building models and being happy about it. I'm helping start a Gunpla/Plamo club at my college, and need to make a collage of those for the background of a flyer. Normally I'd just GIS this, but putting "people building gunpla" into Google just gets me a billion pictures of Build Fighters. :negative:

Also guess who's saving up cash to purchase 15-20 HG AGE-1s. :shepicide:

EDIT: V Thanks!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 23, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

So this is going to be a bit of an odd question, but I need pictures of people building models and being happy about it. I'm helping start a Gunpla/Plamo club at my college, and need to make a collage of those for the background of a flyer. Normally I'd just GIS this, but putting "people building gunpla" into Google just gets me a billion pictures of Build Fighters. :negative:

Clem has some on his site http://gamerabaenre.com , ask before using them via the email link on the site.

One of his gatherings: http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2818

A couple of the SCGMC shows with crowd shots:
http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2702
http://gamerabaenre.com/?p=2280

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: V Thanks!

I really hope you're getting the age one because you're getting cheap. If not you could get the 0 gundam, which normally sells for the same price and is a great kit, from a series that isn't complete rear end.

EDIT
VV ah okay, maybe you should recommend they don't watch the show the kit came from, or they may never watch another gundam series again. :v:

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 23, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm getting the AGE-1 because:

a) It's very well engineered.

b) It has two flashy variants (we're trying to attract more than just Gundam fans, so a ninja/wrestler bot is really helpful!) with very similar construction. That bit is important since ideally we're doing large group builds.

c) The other guy I'm working with has a MG AGE-1, so we can use that to easily show the difference between the two grades. And probably to take silly pictures once everyone's done building. :v:

d) It's cheap.

EDIT: V :swoon:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 23, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Lookin' good.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I am really hoping the finished kit looks as good as the render. Proportions seemed a bit off in the prototype, but this is spot-on.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lineart for the upcoming (web exclusive) MG Destiny Impulse R has been released:

God drat it Bandai, stop giving me kits I want. My wallet's already dead. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Lineart for the upcoming (web exclusive) MG Destiny Impulse R has been released:

God drat it Bandai, stop giving me kits I want. My wallet's already dead. :negative:

I want this, but it doesn't come with the Ardonlights.

• Locked thread