Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGmAmJFUvzM

It has been an honor and a privilege. Shine on you crazy diamonds. Especially Koos.

See ya'll when the Earth burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I wrote an obscene Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious parody for this comic. It will never be rid of me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I propose that we turn this thread into a thread about Koos in the interim.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

I wrote an obscene Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious parody for this comic. It will never be rid of me.

You wrote this thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7O8juc44k

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I'm at work, but given the slim odds of a second obscene Homestuck-themed Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious parody floating around out there, I'll say that yes, I wrote it, and already the police are knocking at my door.

Everything that happened after that was out of my control, though. I had nothing to do with the Youtube video, that was apparently some people from the Penny Arcade forums picking it up from here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Huh. I always thought that came out of the Penny Arcade forums.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I've been following since the suggestion box was still on the front page for Problem Sleuth (PI: Ascend to Godhood! was the only suggestion I made that was ever used). Weird to think that this could be the end of MSPA soon. Gotta wonder what Hussie's going to do next.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

I've been following since the suggestion box was still on the front page for Problem Sleuth (PI: Ascend to Godhood! was the only suggestion I made that was ever used). Weird to think that this could be the end of MSPA soon. Gotta wonder what Hussie's going to do next.

I'm pretty sure that suggestion was the one that originated the Homestuck concept in Hussie's mind (in that GPI eventually created the PS universe, sparking Hussie's interest in circular overcomplicated game-related creation myths). So it's all been your fault this whole time. t:mad:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

loquacius posted:

I'm pretty sure that suggestion was the one that originated the Homestuck concept in Hussie's mind (in that GPI eventually created the PS universe, sparking Hussie's interest in circular overcomplicated game-related creation myths). So it's all been your fault this whole time. t:mad:

Hussie needs all this time to finish his time machine, so that when Homestuck ends he can go back and introduce The Lord Of Hats' parents to each other, thus closing the loop.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I've been following since Problem Sleuth ended and someone recommended it in the webcomics thread, and mentioned he was starting a webcomic in Flash. It's kind of sad that one of the best webcomics is finally ending.

I've been working on this nethack-like game for a programming class, maybe during the gigapause I'll be able to flesh it out into a Homestuck rules roguelike.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

voting third party posted:

I've been following since Problem Sleuth ended and someone recommended it in the webcomics thread, and mentioned he was starting a webcomic in Flash. It's kind of sad that one of the best webcomics is finally ending.

I've been working on this nethack-like game for a programming class, maybe during the gigapause I'll be able to flesh it out into a Homestuck rules roguelike.

Yes. Create more Homestuck content. Homestuck must metastasize. Homestuck must never die.

Seriously, though, I do wonder how long the fandom will last once the comic's concluded. That torch can't burn forever.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Oxxidation posted:

Seriously, though, I do wonder how long the fandom will last once the comic's concluded. That torch can't burn forever.

The Harry Potter fans are still pretty much running at full tilt.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Oxxidation posted:

Tell that to original series Star Trek fans.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

frozentreasure posted:

And with this pause now in effect, I may actually go reread Homestuck like I planned to with the Megapause! I initially read it in 30 hours (passing out twice, took me about three days), which was about a week before Cascade. I've been wanting to read it again at a much more relaxed pace, and Rocktopus' (I think it was you) notes on Homestuck reinforced that desire. If you do decide to go back and reread all of Homestuck in this break, perhaps you'll enjoy reading these notes alongside it.

Thanks for the plug! Glad you guys have enjoyed these. I promise I haven't given up on them, either - I'll get Act 6 done, someday...

So Math posted:

I've been reading since the meteor walkabout. It's been fun seeing everyone's interpretations of the comic. I even got a citation on that one goon's annotations! :kimchi: (You misspelled my tumblr name but who cares.) It's been great and I look forward to rejoining the conversation when Half Life 3 the final update comes out.

Oh no! :ohdear: May I ask what your Tumblr is? Or shoot me a message over there if you like, I'm apocryphaAnnotator.

Dolash posted:

Welp, time to go feral.

Just like one of our favorite characters!

Hmm, I wonder how Nepeta would spend the hiatus...

Welp, it seems we have our work cut out for us. :getin:

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 19, 2013

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I'm probably way behind the curve on this one, but you just made me realize that "roguelike" is the best genre to describe SBURB. Procedurally generated worlds, completely unclear and counterintuitive mechanics, incredibly easy to screw yourself over, and, well, lots of death.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Oxxidation posted:

So naive.

Make this poo poo happen hapen. What language?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

So Math posted:

I've been reading since the meteor walkabout. It's been fun seeing everyone's interpretations of the comic. I even got a citation on that one goon's annotations! :kimchi: (You misspelled my tumblr name but who cares.) It's been great and I look forward to rejoining the conversation when Half Life 3 the final update comes out.

Man, I almost forgot about those annotations. I'd love to see more of that.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
This is really sad, you guys. Even though it's long overdue, I'm not ready to let go yet. At least I have time to finish knitting my trickster outfit before the end. And maybe reread the comic, because I've sort of lost track of what's been going on for a couple months now.

(I actually am knitting my official duedlyfirearms designed trickster outfit, by the way.)

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Thanks for the plug! Glad you guys have enjoyed these. I promise I haven't given up on them, either - I'll get Act 6 done, someday...

Can't wait to read more.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I don't understand the "fix" business unless you're got into hs relatively recently. But maybe my "okay whatever" attitude is from being there since Day 1 the failed launch.

I'm hoping Hussie gets to work writing professionally instead of just going on to Homestuck 2: Stuck Homer. I'd like to see how he works within constraints and with others material using the chops he's learned from writing a free-for-all-anything-goes thing like Homestuck, the "ben 'n jerry's vermonster" of online media.

You know what series I'd like to see Hussie write for? Dr. Who. He'd be heavily constrained to established rules and working one episode at a time, but it has a heavy nerd-audience intersection with Homestuck and involves time travel and other pop-science homestuckish things, so it fits him really well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm really interested to see what Andrew moves on to after the Homestuck game is finished. It's hard to imagine him not doing something creative, but it also seems like he'd probably be done with the webcomic thing.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I think he'll probably have learned quite a bit from working on Namco High and the Homestuck game, both of which are going to require editors, unlike Homestuck proper. Wherever he goes, maybe he'll curb a little bit of his tendency to fling in more plot twists and characters because it seems like a good idea at the time.

I just hope the alpha kids get a happy ending. Hell, all the kids. But the alphas especially have had a pretty loving miserable go of it.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
drat, I wasn't ready to hear these news. It'll be for the best, of course - even though I wasn't as sour on Homestuck as some people here seem to be - but I'd gotten used to reading serially, and I really did like seeing update reactions and fanart.

Oh well. We must exercise patience and wait for a demo of Namco High.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm really interested to see what Andrew moves on to after the Homestuck game is finished. It's hard to imagine him not doing something creative, but it also seems like he'd probably be done with the webcomic thing.

It'll be the most hilarious thing in the world if, after this massive, cathartic, exhausting finish we're due for plays out, Homestuck just starts updating again a couple days after that supposed end.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

I don't know why but this panel has always stood out to me because of Karkat's face in Karkat <3 Nepeta, like a very extended groan.
Also the trailing "oh noooooo" with Vriska

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Nepta is a crazy fangirl shipper. She's not stupid. She knows their gimmicks and how they work!

My favorite for ironic reasons is the one with Terezi and Gamzee.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Unironic shipping would probably be one of the harbingers of the thread closing (do we have any official word on that yet? Might've missed it).

Although... if the "final update" really does wrap up the whole of Homestuck, I guess it'll also tie up any lingering relationship questions too. The comic waveform will collapse to a shipularity.

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I don't understand the "fix" business unless you're got into hs relatively recently.

I got into it a little over a year ago, and yeah, it's a thing.

In the long run, it'll be good to have this break, but I'm still gonna feel a little gloomy for a while.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Just like one of our favorite characters!

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/02155.gif

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/storyfiles/hs2/02295.gif

You probably should have rehosted these pics on imgur or something. Especially given Hussie's server troubles.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

You probably should have rehosted these pics on imgur or something. Especially given Hussie's server troubles.

He doesn't have server troubles because he's not posting updates. That's the only time he does.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~

Carrasco posted:

I'm probably way behind the curve on this one, but you just made me realize that "roguelike" is the best genre to describe SBURB. Procedurally generated worlds, completely unclear and counterintuitive mechanics, incredibly easy to screw yourself over, and, well, lots of death.
Definitely, and with the added difficulty of the fact that you need to count on your team to all work together.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Make this poo poo happen hapen. What language?
C++

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

IUG posted:

He doesn't have server troubles because he's not posting updates. That's the only time he does.

Image leeching is still a thing you shouldn't do. It's even a rule.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, I can't even conceive of a world where Homestuck is finished. It's seemed like a constant for so long. This is gonna be weird as hell.

oh well i'll always have my tangentally homestuck related tattoo to remind me

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Cabbit posted:

Image leeching is still a thing you shouldn't do. It's even a rule.

Thanks for the heads up, changed the images to links. Won't happen again. Long past time to get an imgur account anyway.

Indie Rocktopus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 19, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

At least we're not at the point where there are homestuck readers who literally cannot remember a world without homestuck.

Maybe.

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

Burkion posted:

My favorite for ironic reasons is the one with Terezi and Gamzee.

it amazes me how far-in-advance something like that can be foreshadowed in this comic

Really spits in the face of some of this thread's posters too. "hussie is just making this up as he goes i mean he HAS to regret giving aranea agency in the story when all she did was make a building fall down!" :jerkbag:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cloudy music posted:

it amazes me how far-in-advance something like that can be foreshadowed in this comic

Really spits in the face of some of this thread's posters too. "hussie is just making this up as he goes i mean he HAS to regret giving aranea agency in the story when all she did was make a building fall down!" :jerkbag:

First of all it's a Heart romance on that chart so not sure what it's foreshadowing...

Also it's a chart of random match ups. It's clearly foreshadowing Nepeta's revival and subsequent hook up with Karkat (Who cheats on her with resurrected Vriska).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cloudy music posted:

Having something in the comic relate back to something before doesn't mean he's not just making things up as he goes. It just means he has memory better than a goldfish, or it's purely coincidence.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

I really haven't kept up with my C++...

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

First of all it's a Heart romance on that chart so not sure what it's foreshadowing...

Also it's a chart of random match ups. It's clearly foreshadowing Nepeta's revival and subsequent hook up with Karkat (Who cheats on her with resurrected Vriska).

There was that one shot of God Tier Karkat and Nepeta in a dream bubble.

Of the 9 matches you can make out clearly determine both participants in, Sollux :h: Aradia sort of happened, maybe, depending on interpretation. Gamzee :d: Karket happened. Gamzee/Terezi happened in a different quadrant. Kanaya :h: Tavros, Kanaya :d: Karkat and Karkat :h: Vriska didn't E: Or haven't yet, anyway.

Luckily, we can always discard the parts of the data we don't like and still use it as proof for either argument!

Fister Roboto posted:

Having something in the comic relate back to something before doesn't mean he's not just making things up as he goes. It just means he has memory better than a goldfish, or it's purely coincidence.

Or maybe a big rear end notebook/text file of plot points that he's introduced he can browse through.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 19, 2013

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I guess this is as good a time as ever to say that I found a text file I made in 2010, buried away in some old folder, where I self-indulgently kept track of all the commands I made for Homestuck that got used, back when the suggestion box was a thing.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002584 09/24/09 - "WV: Be the imp."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002620 09/30/09 - "WV: Create employment opportunities for the citizen cans."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002714 10/24/09 - "Jade: Stick fruits in the refrigerator to keep them fresh."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002748 11/10/09 - "Rose: Look for mad scientists."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002826 11/29/09 - "Rose: Refuse to acknowledge the absurd kitten."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002876 12/05/09 - "John: Closely inspect Fruit Gushers box."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002907 12/12/09 - "WV: Sacrifice your MAYORAL SASH for more CABLES."
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003215 02/05/10 - "[I] HB: Attempt to eat Eggs."

Ah, memories. Most of these are mundane so I have no idea why I even bothered archiving this other than the ego stroke. I'm most proud of the last one though. It was actually "Attempt to eat Eggs and Biscuits" but hey.

Did anyone else happen to be around back when he was taking commands? It'd be kinda fun to see how others had a hand in shaping this dumb story, however minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

cloudy music posted:

That idea probably comes from the fact that he said he did that fairly early on. I recall him saying that he deliberately didn't plan stuff out in advance with the exiles, and that a lot of the patterns and foreshadowing we see were only established in the story after he saw fans come up with them. Like, the way the screen names all have two of GCAT in them, which obviously reminds us of DNA, was only made a thing after readers noticed everyone but John matching the pattern. As I remember, he said that many theories and predictions that "came true" or close to it were as much Hussie seeing and liking the idea and using it.

I think he also said something about starting out with designs for the four kids, the idea of them meeting their guardians as kids, and the mythic creation story aspect. Everything else would've been conceived as the comic progressed.

Part of the comic's issues with pacing come from this, I'm sure, and even now Homestuck's plotting has a sort of whimsical feel to me, like it's as much about what would be cool or funny or interesting in the moment, to be made retroactively incredibly relevant, or not, as ideas come.