Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The Leper Colon V posted:

Regular base included at left, for scale.

Now you just need to build two more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think I may have actually figured out a way to cut a corner on this.

If I make the outer blade out of Tin Brick, but the rest of the inside of the blade out of regular gray brick, then it should cause a two-tone effect, where the sharper part of the blade is 'shinier' than the rest, and cut down on my having to hunt down Tin significantly! :toot:

Edit Green Brick would look nice, for the hilt. Would require strip-mining the Dungeon, though. And I'm not sure if it'd end up causing a Dungeon Biome there or not?

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

I think I may have actually figured out a way to cut a corner on this.

If I make the outer blade out of Tin Brick, but the rest of the inside of the blade out of regular gray brick, then it should cause a two-tone effect, where the sharper part of the blade is 'shinier' than the rest, and cut down on my having to hunt down Tin significantly! :toot:

Edit Green Brick would look nice, for the hilt. Would require strip-mining the Dungeon, though. And I'm not sure if it'd end up causing a Dungeon Biome there or not?

Only the edges should be solid anyhow. You should live inside of the sword.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
After finding out that penguins randomly spawn now in the snow biome, I decided to relocate our base there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of hills and weird geography on the way, and none of our NPCs (guide, merchant, painter and...demolitionist?) have been able to get there. Two are stuck in a tunnel, and one's stuck underwater and apparently will never suffocate. Do I have to go and make a path for these idiots, or do I just wait for something to kill them so they'll respawn?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Just go off about your business. If you spend a bit of time elsewhere on the map, they'll have teleported to their new homes by the time you get back.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

morcant posted:

After finding out that penguins randomly spawn now in the snow biome, I decided to relocate our base there. Unfortunately, there are a lot of hills and weird geography on the way, and none of our NPCs (guide, merchant, painter and...demolitionist?) have been able to get there. Two are stuck in a tunnel, and one's stuck underwater and apparently will never suffocate. Do I have to go and make a path for these idiots, or do I just wait for something to kill them so they'll respawn?

I had the idea to make a bunch of artificial biomes around my base. I laid out a bunch of snow bricks but the mushroom biome was too close so it kind of overwrites it. However I do still occasionally get a penguin wandering over into my base :3:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

I think I have the layout of the sword figured. At ground-levelish is where I'll be keeping all the NPCs. And, as is to be expected of a good base, there's no way in from ground level. Those gaps in the hilt will be the entrances. The gem at the end of the pommel will be where all my best loot is kept (gold chests should make for a nice map image), and further down will be workshops, storage rooms, etc. Not sure what to do with the upside-down pyramid room at the very bottom, just yet.

Gotta say, this thing's gonna look :krad: when it's done.

And then when you're done, build a floating island with a giant chain attaching it to the pommel :getin:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
You should do some runes on the blade of that sword in lava, otherwise only the edges will be visible once it's filled in.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I may be mistaken, but last I heard, it was the background walls that determined Dungeon Biome, not the brick walls, which makes it a little different from Hallow/Corruption/Crimson.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pilchenstein posted:

You should do some runes on the blade of that sword in lava, otherwise only the edges will be visible once it's filled in.
I actually plan to live in it. So, inside, it will be my base. If I do the other two like Angry Diplomat suggested in a reference to Norwegian landmarks, I'll probably end up doing that.

Eox posted:

And then when you're done, build a floating island with a giant chain attaching it to the pommel :getin:
That is a really cool idea. Dunno what I'll make the chain out of, though, and I'm worried it'll be really easy to screw up and make it look dumb.

KataraniSword posted:

I may be mistaken, but last I heard, it was the background walls that determined Dungeon Biome, not the brick walls, which makes it a little different from Hallow/Corruption/Crimson.
Did some research, looks like in any case, as long as they're player-placed, the dungeon walls do still prevent the spawn of monsters.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That is a really cool idea. Dunno what I'll make the chain out of, though, and I'm worried it'll be really easy to screw up and make it look dumb.

Probably Tungsten Bricks, if you can get enough raw Tungsten Ore to make it happen. (1 Stone and 1 Tungsten at a furnace)

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
Finally got the wyvern banner, so I have all the monster banners. :shepface:

benzine fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

benzine posted:

So was it worth it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

benzine posted:

Now you're going to curate them in a detailed museum-like hallway in alphabetical order, right?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Kanfy posted:

So was it worth it?

It's up to you to decide.

Honestly I doubt I'll ever use all of them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Make an overly elaborate sky bridge and space out all those banners across its length!

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Place them underneath pixel-accurate murals of each monster.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

benzine posted:

It's up to you to decide.
I'm on the same quest now. So what was your method? Just crank the spawn rate and cap to like 10x and charge through the biomes slaughtering everything with piercing weapons? How'd you get super-rare ones like the nymph?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

I'm on the same quest now. So what was your method? Just crank the spawn rate and cap to like 10x and charge through the biomes slaughtering everything with piercing weapons? How'd you get super-rare ones like the nymph?

Just crank the spawn rates to 1 or 2, and make a farming area and in other it was more just running and killing mobs. If you want I can host and you can take any banner you want.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nah, I'd rather earn them myself. I tried upping spawn rate and cap, but things got pretty hairy. You recommend just the rate, not the cap, then?

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Nah, I'd rather earn them myself. I tried upping spawn rate and cap, but things got pretty hairy. You recommend just the rate, not the cap, then?

If it is prehardmode, there is no problem with the cap. In hardmode with a cap of 25 thing start to get interesting.

Some tips:

-What I did was make a big cave a farming area and used the clentminator to go from hallow/corruption and crimson, to farm the underground banners.
- With tshock you can activate or desactivate hardmode.
- You can also activate rain, blood moon, the goblin invasion and the eclipse.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'd really like it if you could make mineral bricks with ore bars instead of needing the raw ore. I tend to convert all my ore into bars out of instinct.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Blackheart posted:

I'd really like it if you could make mineral bricks with ore bars instead of needing the raw ore. I tend to convert all my ore into bars out of instinct.
Or at the least, turn bars back into nuggets. It would save so much space.
I hope more accessible modding becomes a thing because the first change I'd make is to add those recipes.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

This mushroom house is rad as heck, I might try and make something like this.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Got the ankh shield :)

So I usually play melee but after finding the frost hydra staff I'm trying out magic. Got a magnet sphere. This is pretty fun! It's a little weird having such low defense (it's half of what my melee defense is) but the spectre armor takes care of that. Made it much less lovely to grind for a bezoar.

E: I can't loving wait for an eclipse. This hydra is awesome. Also I only need two more broken hero swords to make the terra blade.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Read posted:

People are always trying to come up with suitable living places for the npcs. Stuff like a pirate ship for the pirate or a jungle hut for the witch doctor. But I've been thinking lately it would be fun to make houses for them they would hate. I'm thinking stuff like putting the pirate in a desert biome in the middle of the map as far from the sea as he can get. Or putting the steampunker in a quaint little hobbit hole made only from natural materials in the middle of an idyllic forest. Maybe put the guide in a room above a lava pit with switches set to activate/deactive floor tiles never quite dropping him in but always threatening. And of course, no matter where they're at there'd always be a music box playing the boss theme :unsmigghh:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Joshlemagne posted:

And of course, no matter where they're at there'd always be a music box playing the boss theme :unsmigghh:

But boss theme 1 owns, who could hate it :(

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

But boss theme 1 owns, who could hate it :(

NPCs who get murdered by bosses. Maybe it's just because I don't care about them and usually just fight stuff on my roof, though.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Bought this over a year ago, never got into it, saw the 1.2 update drop, made a medium world and have a fair bit of copper and lead and whatever replaces gold & silver.

Got lead (=iron?) armour and sword, equivalent of a gold pick, a glow gem thing above my head and no loving clue what to do next. I'm not having much luck with finding updated to 1.2 walkthroughs and all the chat in here seems to be endgame/hardmode. Does anyone have any tips, resources or guides for a poor nubscrub?

but I did make a grappling hook out of gems...however the gently caress that would work

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pound_Coin posted:

Bought this over a year ago, never got into it, saw the 1.2 update drop, made a medium world and have a fair bit of copper and lead and whatever replaces gold & silver.

Got lead (=iron?) armour and sword, equivalent of a gold pick, a glow gem thing above my head and no loving clue what to do next. I'm not having much luck with finding updated to 1.2 walkthroughs and all the chat in here seems to be endgame/hardmode. Does anyone have any tips, resources or guides for a poor nubscrub?

but I did make a grappling hook out of gems...however the gently caress that would work
I found myself in the same shoes a couple weeks ago. If I were you I might suggest rerolling a small world and going with that but medium isn't too bad.

First off you need to build yourself a "housing complex" to hold your stuff and your NPCs. I attach mine as it's pretty minimalist.

I recently redid it but you can make it pretty much entirely out of wood or stone. I built from the left to the right adding more rooms as I attracted more NPCs. I originally had it up on "stilts" of about 8-10 blocks to help with Blood Moons and built the lava bunker on top afterwards to help with the more serious invasions. You could put yours up high where you can only access it via grappling hook.

You will probably want to find a decent naturally formed cave that appears to go deep and then build a dedicated tunnel to it so you have a safe destination at night. This tunnel may end up being the basis for your map-spanning skybridge across the world.

Your first "goal" should be to get into the corruption/crimson (depending on which you have) and break two of the shadow orbs/crimson hearts you find in the underground. Do not break 3 (yet) as it summons a boss monster you probably can't handle. To do this you will need to have bombs (buyable from an NPC, good idea to craft them into sticky bombs). After the first you will get the chance that a meteor comes and the second brings the chance of a second meteor later on.

Once a meteor lands (there will be a message) you can use bombs to quickly "mine" the ore which attracts annoying floating monsters that go through barriers when meteorite is together in a significant quantity. With the meteor bars you should make meteor armor and a space gun. Wearing the armor gives infinite space gun ammo and this will probably be sufficient for you to take on everything shy of the last boss of normal mode (the Wall of Flesh). Fight the Dungeon guardian as well as the Eye of Cthulhu and eventually break the third Shadow Orb/heart to get that boss too. From the latter you will get the materials to make the demonite/crimtane pick which lets you mine hellstone at the bottom of the map. From there you mine hellstone (carefully) to get a full armor set and tools, then prepare to fight the Wall of Flesh and enter hardmode.

For the last, I found the minishark with meteor shot with a long running arena was the best bet. To prepare it relatively easily (but laboriously) I suggest going to the ocean on either side of the map and tunneling under it on the far map edge (keeping the sand seal intact) and then making a shaft down to hell from there. Once the shaft is dug (and the far side of the map edge screen walled off down in hell) let the ocean drain which will dump water over a lot of lava and start your arena for you. As a plus you get to access the Ocean chests easily and probably find equipment that lets you dive into the other ocean on the other side of the map.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

All good advice, though I'd mention that if you luck out on a Demon Scythe drop before the Wall of Flesh you don't need to bother with anything else to kill him.

Mental Midget
Apr 18, 2005

We're glad you could play SQIV. As usual, you've been a real pantload.

Read posted:

All good advice, though I'd mention that if you luck out on a Demon Scythe drop before the Wall of Flesh you don't need to bother with anything else to kill him.

This is only really true if you have like 5 stacks of mana potions.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Meteor armor and a space gun is easily enough to beat the Wall of Flesh. I beat it last night with 390/400 health left on my first ever attempt to even fight it. I used Lava Waders (and Rocket Boots + Sandstorm in a Balloon for mobility) rather than build a bridge, and downed ironskin and regeneration potions right before starting the fight. I didn't even reach the hell buildings before I killed it, and only used one healing potion when it tongued me a few seconds before it died.

Also, Pound_coin, for the earlier bosses I usually fight the Brain of Cthulhu (Crimson) or the Eater of Worlds (Corruption) first. They drop the materials for the next tier of pickaxe, which will allow you to mine hellstone, obsidian, and ebonstone/crimstone. 20 obsidian will craft into an Obsidian Skull, an accessory which negates the damage from touching hellstone bricks, hellstone, and meteorite ore, which makes collecting hellstone & meteorite ore much easier. You may want to summon, fight, and kill the Eye first, just to make sure that it doesn't randomly spawn while fighting the Brain or Eater. The Eye has something like a 1/3 chance of spawning each night if you have more than 200 health and haven't beaten it before in that world. Piercing ranged weapons such as shuriken or the Starfury's star are effective against all of the early bosses. You'll also want a strong knockback weapon for the Brain's second phase; piercing melee-range weapons like spears or Vilethorn (a magic weapon) work great against the Eater.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hahaha, trying to get copies of the mechanichal boss trophies, I decided fighting them one at a time wasn't going to be fast enough. So I summoned all 3 at once. Spectral Armour, Nimbus Staff and Golden shower let me stand still and kill them all, twice over, summoning the Destroyer again halfway through each set. The Numbers man, the Numbers.

The kicker was The second Prime and the fourth Destroyer dropped the trophies, so Now I just need to get the Twins trophies again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Progress report! Finally finished hollowing out the land, then realized I hadn't made the blade wide enough to fit a minimum-width NPC room on each side, so I had to widen the whole thing. From here, it looks like I'm about 1000 tin away from finishing the edge of the blade, maybe closer to 800. Since I'm now rocking Crimson equipment and have killed the Queen Bee, I may pop over to a small world and get my strip-mining on.

My personal quarters are at the very bottom, with every workbench-type item I've currently got available in the area above. From there, lots of empty space, then another, more casual work area, the World Spawn Hall, and then the NPCs. I'll likely need to put more NPC housing in a bit farther down, as 10 isn't going to cut it for long.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 18, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

From here, it looks like I'm about 1000 tin away from finishing the edge of the blade, maybe closer to 800. Since I'm now rocking Crimson equipment and have killed the Queen Bee, I may pop over to a small world and get my strip-mining on.

Might want to go hunting in your underground snow biome for an Extractionator; you can use it to turn Silt and Slush into every pre-hardmode ore, including Tin. Might save you some mining time.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, you'd get maybe 50 tin ore from a full stack of slush/slit.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Preem Palver posted:

Meteor armor and a space gun is easily enough to beat the Wall of Flesh. I beat it last night with 390/400 health left on my first ever attempt to even fight it. I used Lava Waders (and Rocket Boots + Sandstorm in a Balloon for mobility) rather than build a bridge, and downed ironskin and regeneration potions right before starting the fight. I didn't even reach the hell buildings before I killed it, and only used one healing potion when it tongued me a few seconds before it died.

Also, Pound_coin, for the earlier bosses I usually fight the Brain of Cthulhu (Crimson) or the Eater of Worlds (Corruption) first. They drop the materials for the next tier of pickaxe, which will allow you to mine hellstone, obsidian, and ebonstone/crimstone. 20 obsidian will craft into an Obsidian Skull, an accessory which negates the damage from touching hellstone bricks, hellstone, and meteorite ore, which makes collecting hellstone & meteorite ore much easier. You may want to summon, fight, and kill the Eye first, just to make sure that it doesn't randomly spawn while fighting the Brain or Eater. The Eye has something like a 1/3 chance of spawning each night if you have more than 200 health and haven't beaten it before in that world. Piercing ranged weapons such as shuriken or the Starfury's star are effective against all of the early bosses. You'll also want a strong knockback weapon for the Brain's second phase; piercing melee-range weapons like spears or Vilethorn (a magic weapon) work great against the Eater.
Yes, to clarify Meteor Armor and Space Gun is certain sufficient to face-tank the non-final bosses. It's possible to fight the Wall with that combo; I myself didn't have lava waders or the patience to find them. Since it's unlimited ammo you don't stand to lose much by trying with it. The tricky part is that Meteor Armor is much weaker defense-wise than Molten even factoring in ironskin potions (which you really should).

I suggested Minishark because I know it'll do the job without too much fuss- the Wall eyes have pretty terrible defense. If you wall off the side of Hell as I mentioned, meteor shot will bounce off it back at the Wall for the first part of the fight.

I would also amend my last post to say that while waiting for the meteors to fall you will probably experience a Goblin invasion which is easily fought off with grenades since you probably won't be in a position to harvest lava for a bunker yet. The harpoon you may get from the Goblins is really quite excellent in its own right as a fast short-range automatic weapon. It serves pretty well until you get your Space Gun, which by the by does more damage with the Meteor Armor as well.

Dr Tasty
Jul 21, 2005

Hueheheh-and you GOT one
I'd recommend exploring the underground Jungle and killing some Queen Bees. They drop cool stuff like the bee gun, honeycomb, clothes, and the ever useful BEENADES.

Seriously, Beenades.

Really try to find water walking boots and a lava charm. The Lava Waders are probably one of the most useful accessories for traversing anywhere that has water or lava. Also get yourself spectre boots.

To prepare yourself for hardmode, build a place for the Truffle guy to move in so you can buy that spear from him as soon as he gets there. It's useful. The Night's Edge (muramasa, fiery sword, blade of grass, and light's bane at a demon/crimson altar) is also good until you fight bosses in hardmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Read posted:

Fuuuuck, I was just about to start making one large mushroom in the middle of my (huge) underground glowy mush farm for the truffle to live, and now whatever I had in mind has been completely overshadowed by how awesome this is. Now do I try to make something different and original, or just mimic this? Choices, choices...

Angry Diplomat posted:

Now you just need to build two more.

I learned something today. What a badass monument.

• Locked thread