Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have the littlest anecdote! I only post it to make people smile and think "aww, everyone is being hurt!"

I think I mentioned that I did pass the Secret Service written exam, making it to the physical exam--which we finally got properly scheduled about a week before the government shut down, and to no-one's surprise, I got a call informing me that hiring was suspended and we would have to start the scheduling process over again once the government started back up again.

On the plus side, that does give me even more time to whip my stupid body back into shape. I had already managed a seven-week extension by moving cross-country before they could schedule my first exam; who knows how long it might be next time?!?! WOOOO :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
So we'll get paid through the 30th for sure? I'm just looking at a half paycheck this weekend, not an entirely missing one?

Any firm news on when the shutdown would have to end to process paychecks on time? I think my assistant has to submit the electronic timesheet by Tuesday, no idea what happens after that. In my head I sort of have Tuesday as the deadline to get paid correctly.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Kase Im Licht posted:

So we'll get paid through the 30th for sure? I'm just looking at a half paycheck this weekend, not an entirely missing one?

Any firm news on when the shutdown would have to end to process paychecks on time? I think my assistant has to submit the electronic timesheet by Tuesday, no idea what happens after that. In my head I sort of have Tuesday as the deadline to get paid correctly.

Yeah, you'll get all of the pay earned for month of August, but that's it. While the lockout's running, you won't get back pay until the CR gets passed, assuming the House back pay bill clears the Senate.

Depends on which department handles your payroll. DFAS? I wouldn't hold my breath, and I'd also expect them to gently caress it up somehow in the meantime. Interior Business Center? You might not be completely screwed.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Must Love Dogs posted:

Yeah, you'll get all of the pay earned for month of August, but that's it. While the lockout's running, you won't get back pay until the CR gets passed, assuming the House back pay bill clears the Senate.

Depends on which department handles your payroll. DFAS? I wouldn't hold my breath, and I'd also expect them to gently caress it up somehow in the meantime. Interior Business Center? You might not be completely screwed.

The House Back Pay bill is being held up because Republicans want to add amendments to it (like defunding Obamacare to pay for it)

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
The best thing about being a new PAQ hire? I made it 6 months before getting furloughed :smugdog: I really hope this isn't a regular thing. At least we got called back though.

Quarex posted:

Where do you get four years of intelligence experience pre-entry-level outside the military :(

SCEP internship programs. I had one and they are super rare, but i did it while in school.

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 8, 2013

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

The House Back Pay bill is being held up because Republicans want to add amendments to it (like defunding Obamacare to pay for it)

Yeah, there's only so far they can do that, though. Push comes to shove Reid can force it through via reconciliation.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Totally made the Presidential Management Fellowship application deadline. By 13 minutes. Oops. And all because the essay page claimed it was not timed and then timed me out and infuriated me ... for eight days, apparently.

pizzlemank
Sep 27, 2013
Just out of grad school and got an 1 year term offer at GS-11. However, I was a 13 equivalent in an unrelated field prior to grad school, and gotten some contracting offers that pay much higher. Is the GS salary negotiable in anyway? If anyone has any tips or success story please do share:patriot:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pizzlemank posted:

However, I was a 13 equivalent in an unrelated field prior to grad school

Was this with the Federal Government?

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

OMB is saying to expect to go to work tomorrow for folks furloughed. Back pay was in the bill, so folks essential and nonessential will be getting paid in full. So thank gently caress, our long national nightmare is over.

Until January.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

pizzlemank posted:

Just out of grad school and got an 1 year term offer at GS-11. However, I was a 13 equivalent in an unrelated field prior to grad school, and gotten some contracting offers that pay much higher. Is the GS salary negotiable in anyway? If anyone has any tips or success story please do share:patriot:
You can sometimes (but not always) negotiate the step. You can't negotiate the grade (GS-11) as that's determined by the position. Generally speaking, if you're offered a GS-11, it's a GS-11 step 1 and that's it. If you think you're eligible for a GS-13 or higher, don't take the 11 because it will lock that poo poo in and you'll have to work your way up with minimum 1 year at each grade.

Once this hiring freeze is lifted, I fully expect Federal Gov to be hiring like mad.

Beenine
Aug 9, 2013

pizzlemank posted:

It depends on the job announcement. If its just for GS-11 you will only be able to negotiate for steps in the GS-11 level. Some job announcements are for GS-11/12 and then you would be able to negotiate for the higher level if you met all the requirements for GS-12.

pizzlemank
Sep 27, 2013

TCD posted:

Was this with the Federal Government?
Yea, it was under another payplan.

grover posted:

If you think you're eligible for a GS-13 or higher, don't take the 11 because it will lock that poo poo in and you'll have to work your way up with minimum 1 year at each grade.
That's true, but since I'm entering a new industry. It's kind of expected.

Beenine posted:

It depends on the job announcement. If its just for GS-11 you will only be able to negotiate for steps in the GS-11 level. Some job announcements are for GS-11/12 and then you would be able to negotiate for the higher level if you met all the requirements for GS-12.
Yea you're right, I've just had no luck getting any interviews at 13 level. So it's probably better to get back in the Federal system at a 11 for now and see what I can do later.

Thanks all for the advice!

pizzlemank fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 17, 2013

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Before the shutdown I was on the precipice of taking an exam for a basic contact rep job with the IRS. Should I trust them to contact me like they said they would last month, or should I put that on myself over today or tomorrow?

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

pizzlemank posted:

What does the job announcement say? Look under the salary range, you can negotiate within that.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Tremendous Taste posted:

Before the shutdown I was on the precipice of taking an exam for a basic contact rep job with the IRS. Should I trust them to contact me like they said they would last month, or should I put that on myself over today or tomorrow?
I am wondering the same thing about my Secret Service physical test, though I imagine the answer in both cases is that they will hardly be surprised by people being like "so uhhh did the shutdown change anything?"

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Kase Im Licht posted:

What does the job announcement say? Look under the salary range, you can negotiate within that.
Not necessarily. Very often, it's simply reflective of what you might make if you came in at a high step from a lower rate, the earnings potential you'll have if you stick at it for 18 years. Not all hiring officials are permitted to negotiate up on day 1.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

grover posted:

Not necessarily. Very often, it's simply reflective of what you might make if you came in at a high step from a lower rate, the earnings potential you'll have if you stick at it for 18 years. Not all hiring officials are permitted to negotiate up on day 1.

Yeah, I think usually the salary range listed just ranges from step 1 of the lowest posted grade to step 10 of the highest posted grade. I've seen some announcements where they even go low to high based on the locality pay rates.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tremendous Taste posted:

They contacted me today for that, so it should go forward. People probably have a stack of work to get through on their desks.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
So today is one year since my last promotion, and since I'm in a career ladder position and am good at my job I kind of expected to get my next bump up.

Hasn't happened. I also have not been given a reason. My supervisor first claimed he didn't know my date was today when I asked him if the paperwork had been processed. A few days later I asked if he'd figured it out and started on it and all he would say "it's not automatic." Hasn't sat me down and told me I'm not getting it and what I need to do to get it, just isn't responding in any helpful way. Not getting a promotion would be unusual here. I talked with another supervisor who said she only ever delayed one due to disciplinary issues. On a side note, it's really great that I can get other supervisors to have a conversation with me about important things but the guy who I report to can't spare more than a vague sentence in response to a serious issue.

I should get a step increase automatically though, right?

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Step increases should be automatic and take a pay period or two to reflect.

Career ladder grade increases need a promotion form with lots of sign offs.

My step took two pay periods to kick in and my career ladder promotion took place three months after my one year. I've heard some agencies are on point with doing this exactly one year while others delay.

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Kase Im Licht posted:

So today is one year since my last promotion, and since I'm in a career ladder position and am good at my job I kind of expected to get my next bump up.

Hasn't happened. I also have not been given a reason. My supervisor first claimed he didn't know my date was today when I asked him if the paperwork had been processed. A few days later I asked if he'd figured it out and started on it and all he would say "it's not automatic." Hasn't sat me down and told me I'm not getting it and what I need to do to get it, just isn't responding in any helpful way. Not getting a promotion would be unusual here. I talked with another supervisor who said she only ever delayed one due to disciplinary issues. On a side note, it's really great that I can get other supervisors to have a conversation with me about important things but the guy who I report to can't spare more than a vague sentence in response to a serious issue.

I should get a step increase automatically though, right?

In my agency I have to sign a preprinted form certifying that the employee is performing at a fully successful level and has completed the 52/104/156 week waiting period to approve a step increase. My HR person gives me the step increase form to fill out about a month or so before the step increase effective date. A career ladder promotion requires that I write a recommendation memo. I do not get a reminder from HR to submit a memo for career ladder promotions. I know of one person who ended up having a career ladder promotion delayed a few months because her supervisor's position was being filled on an acting rotational basis so no one knew to submit a promotion recommendation and she isn't the type of person to "make waves".

To me your supervisor's "it's not automatic" response seems like a defensive deflection on his part because he forgot about it. I did recently delay a promotion and the employee and I had a very detailed discussion about why the promotion was being denied and what my expectations were several weeks before she even became eligible for it. Since you haven't had that kind of discussion, it further makes me think he just forgot.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
From a non-supervisory perspective:

For the step increase, I received a letter from HR about a month or two before my anniversary date. The memo just said that the step would be based on my performance rating at some point during the year.

With career ladder promotions, my supervisor and I always brought it up during my mid-year review. One of us would bring it up and just verbally acknowledge that I was on track to meet the performance requirements for the promotion. She would then proceed to tell me that I should remind her when I'm about 3 months out from my anniversary date in order to remind her to begin processing the paperwork (but really, she would call me into her office at that point to let me know she had processed the paperwork).

Midge the Jet
Sep 15, 2006

When I was due to receive my grade increase this past February, I asked my manager about it and she said the paperwork was put in about a month before to approve it. It took a couple of weeks longer to process, but was backdated to my anniversary date. I also received a paycheck with backpay for the amount of time that was backdated as a promotion.

I'm due for my next grade increase this upcoming February (I have one more year before I max out my promotion potential), and my office has a history of timely promotions if you're in a career ladder. No one was ever denied one by their manager.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
When someone mistakenly gave me a step increase 6 months early (never reset the clock after a promotion; I assumed it was normal), the motherfuckers realized it on the date I should have received the step increase and then docked my pay for 6 months after that.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 25, 2013

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
When I was enlisted (E-4 at the time), I got paid housing allowance during a change of station. I took a few days of house hunting leave to get myself an apartment and all was fine.

Some time later I got a paycheck for zero dollars. Apparently, you don't get housing allowance during a move unless you are E-5 or higher. It's great to be out two weeks pay at exactly the time you're paying security deposits and install fees on top of your regular bills. It's a huge 'gently caress you' for not preparing for the consequences of breaking a rule you (and apparently the personnel, finance, and traffic offices) didn't know existed. I remember being at work looking at my LES and breaking out into a hot sweat, furious.

As a civilian I got a two-grade promotion on my paycheck for no reason. I reported it three days before I was to be paid and it took the idiots fine folks in finance a month and a half to fix it. That's three pay checks. So for the two months after the resolution it was like having a two-grade demotion. At least the civilian system is better than just getting goose-egged until your 'debt' is paid.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

My step increases have all been completely automatic from my perspective; I receive no notice about it, I don't have to sign anything, it just shows up on my Leave and Earning Statement when he time comes.

In fact, my most recent step increase just came, effective the cross-fiscal year pay period (with 32 hours of furlough). So I got to receive 60% of a slightly increased paycheck in mid-October. :colbert:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I sort of wonder if anyone is still reading this thread who just gave up on the federal job search, or if giving up on the job search means you also give up on the thread?

I ask because it occurred to me that I am only a couple of months away from my year anniversary of futility, and I think I average over one application a day, and it seems like at some point I have to accept that I am not qualified for any of these jobs. Of course, someone is probably going to tell me that they average 10 applications a day or something and that I am a slacker, and I will have to reconsider my technique.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012
Still searching here. I've only got 100 apps sent out since last October because some weeks there just isn't anything I'm qualified to apply for.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Quarex posted:

I sort of wonder if anyone is still reading this thread who just gave up on the federal job search, or if giving up on the job search means you also give up on the thread?

I ask because it occurred to me that I am only a couple of months away from my year anniversary of futility, and I think I average over one application a day, and it seems like at some point I have to accept that I am not qualified for any of these jobs. Of course, someone is probably going to tell me that they average 10 applications a day or something and that I am a slacker, and I will have to reconsider my technique.

I'm not too hopeful as long as the Republicans control anything. And not just federal jobs; jobs in my field in general.

Back before everything went fucko bazoo I got hired at a military library after a couple hundred applications in general, only a few dozen federal.

After how that went, I'm not sure they'd even consider me, I dunno. I do know I'm not working for DOD again.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001
This is a really terrible time to be looking. We're like 10% short staffed and management has no plans to hire a new class unless we get a real budget. I came in two years ago when they hired a class of 30 people. We've had at least that many quit/retire since then and are just making do. There's a lot of support positions we need to hire as well. We probably could hire 50 people if we got the budget again and we're a pretty small agency.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Yeah, even here in the wonderful world of TSA, we're covering our shortages with shift trades and extremely limited overtime. Just about everything we have on USAJobs above the TSA officer level is for internal hires.

I got referred to a lot of jobs, only for this shutdown and sequester bullshit to cancel out the positions I've applied for.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I received a contingent offer from TSA. Is there any possibility that I'll start work within this calendar year?

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I received a contingent offer from TSA. Is there any possibility that I'll start work within this calendar year?

That really depends on how bad the airport needs people. It's an extremely small possibility you might get hired this year before the training staff gets bogged down with the annual recertification tests and practical skills evaluations. Depending on the size of the airport, those can take around 1-3 months for the training department to get this done. Quite naturally, new hire classes would be put on hold for this.

Even in the days when attrition rates at airports were hitting 20-30 percent, it still took me 6 months to get hired because I had to go through the airport assessment, credit check and medical/drug check. This was back in '06-'07.

Once you get placed in the airport's ready pool, then you're pretty much in.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Delorence Fickle posted:

That really depends on how bad the airport needs people. It's an extremely small possibility you might get hired this year before the training staff gets bogged down with the annual recertification tests and practical skills evaluations. Depending on the size of the airport, those can take around 1-3 months for the training department to get this done. Quite naturally, new hire classes would be put on hold for this.

Even in the days when attrition rates at airports were hitting 20-30 percent, it still took me 6 months to get hired because I had to go through the airport assessment, credit check and medical/drug check. This was back in '06-'07.

Once you get placed in the airport's ready pool, then you're pretty much in.

I've got applications in at an airport in Manhattan, KS and one in Helena, MT. So small airports but presumably needy ones. I'm guessing it's all a crapshoot anyways.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Quarex posted:

Wanted to follow up on this with a similar question. I've been applying to various positions in the NY/NJ/eastern PA area now for about 4-5 months, with little to no success (little being at least getting a confirmation email regarding my application's submission). Is there anyone in this thread that has been hired by the Fed within the past 6 months at all? Seems to me that the recurring theme is "Nope." I realize that there are a LOT of people probably applying to these positions, but are there any success stories within this thread as of late?

Also, and maybe this isn't the right place to ask, but does anyone in here have experience working for State Courts? I've been applying to a bunch of openings, with no feedback from the courts save for an automated "we received your resume, take this survey about your gender/veteran status/ethnicity" message. Are they just as bad when it comes to getting back to people (meaning, will I get a call in a year about something I applied for this past September)? Or is it just as seemingly insular as the Fed, with "who you know" being more important that "what you can do?"

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

For what it's worth, I did my first day as a Fed right at six months ago. But I was brought on as an engineer for the department of defense, and started low (GS-7) despite years of private sector experience.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
We've had two new government hires in the last two weeks. One was within the same BSO (and exempt from the hiring freeze), but the other was an actual open hire position. REALLY surprised me, considering we're still in a hiring freeze; but apparently they were critical enough positions to hired. Most I've seen in the last 6 months.

Usually we'd average at least 1-2 new people per week (mostly contractors; fairly high turnover there).

grover fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 11, 2013

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The entire Air Force has been under a hiring freeze since the 'sequester' began, despite new jobs continuing to be advertised on usajobs. I don't know about other agencies/departments, but DOD is, as always, relatively well-off, and at least the AF component is 99% not going to hire any civilians in the foreseeable future. Even the contractors have puckered on hiring, despite it being proposal season.

Personnel who escaped furlough this year are expected to have to face the threat again in FY14. Not a particularly good time to be looking, or to be the new guy on the payroll and still on probation.

This is all anecdotal but I hope someone is helped in some way by it. Sincere good luck to all you seekers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
I got hired in early May. USCIS is funded mostly by the fees immigrants pay with their applications, so it is somewhat less hosed than other parts of the government in this regard. (We're still understaffed and have a newly-added, half-filled wing to our building that will be filled with workers "soon.")