Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why does that matter?

I want him to say because he won't always have access to a network so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

benisntfunny posted:

I want him to say because he won't always have access to a network so bad.

Quoting this because I'm hoping the same, but probably because he thinks ifttt only notifies by text? I have ifttt sending me emails for most notifications, If you have growl, it can use that too.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Tapbots wrote a blog today about the state of their apps on iOS 7, Tweetbots been submitted to the app store completely rebuilt from the ground up for iOS 7 apparently. Hopefully they don't but I have a weird feeling they may charge again for this app. Surely they won't.

http://tapbots.com/blog/business/tapbots-and-the-state-of-our-apps-in-ios7

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Disappointing Pie posted:

Tapbots wrote a blog today about the state of their apps on iOS 7, Tweetbots been submitted to the app store completely rebuilt from the ground up for iOS 7 apparently. Hopefully they don't but I have a weird feeling they may charge again for this app. Surely they won't.

If they do I'd pay again.

Probably my second most used app behind Awful, I want to keep future development of it going.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

That looks a lot like 'hey guys, we didn't update poo poo for a year, but now we need you to buy our new app so here's an excuse! We promise we didn't abandon everything!' to me.

I'm sure their new version will be nice, but if they're going to charge again (and I'd bet whatever the cost of Tweetbot is they will), I'll stick with Twitterific.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

101 posted:

If they do I'd pay again.

Probably my second most used app behind Awful, I want to keep future development of it going.

Likewise and likewise.

I'm curious how they could structure an upgrade though. They can't produce a new app (i.e. new Twitter client) because they have a grandfathered high quantity of available Twitter user tokens.

Is there a means to structure an iOS app as a fat binary combining the current version plus the iOS7 upgrade, with an in-app-purchase to unlock the latter?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think they can just use the same API key as their existing app. Then any existing TapBots users wouldn't count against their total.

As long as twitter doesn't demand that a new version needs a new key and so would count as a new app.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Lexicon posted:

I'm curious how they could structure an upgrade though. They can't produce a new app (i.e. new Twitter client) because they have a grandfathered high quantity of available Twitter user tokens.
Why not? They can just keep using the same access token, and apps by the same developer can access each others' data. Take Tweetbot off the store, list Tweetbot 7.0 for $10, migrate existing users.

That said, I'm surprised they put so many more manhours into developing Tweetbot. There's a finite amount of money there. I guess they still have a pile of tokens left, but I'd be working on a new flagship.

edit: Pretty sure Tapbots is only 2 dudes (coder and artist); it's not like the team is sitting around playing ping-pong instead of working.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 18, 2013

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why does that matter?

It has no phone parts, so it can't take advantage of things like MMS and whatnot.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

It has no phone parts, so it can't take advantage of things like MMS and whatnot.

It doesn't use MMS, you just need WiFi. They have an app you can download.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Tweetbot feels like poo poo to me. Like, I feel like it's a cupcake with the most icing possible and, of course, people will like that, but it has never ever felt like an app that is supposed to simply tweet. It's like a game where the way to win is to use Twitter the most. I like Twitterrific because it's pretty much perfect. Aside from the lack of certain features (specific keyword muting, see who faved/retweed in-app/in-line) it's a perfect app. it looks nice, works well, and doesn't feel like it's out to give me diabetes.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

DarkJC posted:

It doesn't use MMS, you just need WiFi. They have an app you can download.

and email... and you could always do SMS through Google Voice? I only feel half satisfied with his answer. It's close to what I wanted him to say.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Hopefully they don't but I have a weird feeling they may charge again for this app. Surely they won't.

Staying in business sure is a weird feeling, too.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It is interesting to see these "original" iPhone developers deal with the reality of the App Store nowadays. Like I can't help but feel that Twitterific is selling less and less copies of each upgrade. And they didn't come out with a new paid upgrade for iOS 7, which seems unusual.

And even free + IAP for features is tough because your next competitor will just make your premium feature free and have a competitive advantage .

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess the winning move is to not base your entire business around a single app. Make some other awesome piece of software that people absolutely have to have.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

smackfu posted:

It is interesting to see these "original" iPhone developers deal with the reality of the App Store nowadays. Like I can't help but feel that Twitterific is selling less and less copies of each upgrade. And they didn't come out with a new paid upgrade for iOS 7, which seems unusual.

And even free + IAP for features is tough because your next competitor will just make your premium feature free and have a competitive advantage .

It's mostly because T5 already had a look that blended with iOS 6. Rebuilding the app didn't take that long.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

IFTTT doesn't have it's own notification system- you have to buy Pushover- and the typical SMS channel won't work (though email would).

Kheldarn, try Boxcar? I haven't used it, but the description on the App Store sounds promising. It's also an IFTTT channel, which might help.

What is everyone's favorite note taking app? I'd like to be able to type and draw/write on the same document.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
IFTTT can email (or text) you.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

taco show posted:

What is everyone's favorite note taking app? I'd like to be able to type and draw/write on the same document.
(This is all on the iPad)
Not sure how much I actually like it, but I've sort of settled on Notability*. I used Note Taker HD before that but it's really clunky in a lot of ways...but it also feels better functionally for some stuff. Also have Notes Plus but something about it never jived well with me, granted that was way back and could be better now, a lot of others like it though. UPad was solid too but there was something else with that one that turned me off once I tried using it more.

Basically just try/buy a bunch of crap and see what sticks.

*This is a universal app these days if you're looking for an iPhone one. Just tested it out and seems to work fine on iPhone, although for sharing between iPhone and iPad it's a bit awkward because the sheer size difference. Like something looks fine on iPad, but is tiny on iPhone, and presumably vice versa.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

taco show posted:

Kheldarn, try Boxcar? I haven't used it, but the description on the App Store sounds promising. It's also an IFTTT channel, which might help.

This is anecdotal but just throwing it out there anyway. I tried Boxcar for a while and I really didn't like it. More than a few notifications just didn't go through and the interface was ugly and clunky. I wanted to like it because it was cheaper than Pushover, but it was just so unreliable. I ended up buying Pushover, never had any problems with it and it's one of my most used apps.

e: looks like someone bought Boxcar and is rewriting it from the ground up. Also looks like I wasn't the only one having problems with it: http://blog.boxcar.io/post/55696548592/boxcar-reboot

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

taco show posted:

Second notability on the ipad. Really useful for lectures, highlighting/commenting on papers and slides and such. Syncs to Dropbox/Google Drive etc. I stuck with it after trying several other apps.

For general day-to-day lists and such I just use evernote on my iphone

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I have two photos on my iPhone, a before and after. Anyone know an app that will let me combine them side-by-side into a new image? Seems like all the photo editors I have only work on a single photo.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

smackfu posted:

I have two photos on my iPhone, a before and after. Anyone know an app that will let me combine them side-by-side into a new image? Seems like all the photo editors I have only work on a single photo.

Pic Stitch?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

The Dave posted:

Pic Stitch?

Not sure if it applies to smackfu, but Pic Stitch crashes on launch on my 5s. (Or did a few days ago.)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Diptic is good for photo collage type things.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Dave posted:

Pic Stitch?

Thanks, that did the job on my iPhone 5. And as long as you are ok with white borders, it is free.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
@Kheldarn, kawaiiest, taco show RE notifications:

I've been using Boxcar for about a year -- there absolutely was a period during the acquisition where alerts weren't going through, and it looked pretty iffy. That seems to have been resolved, and I haven't had an issue with it since then.

I use Boxcar for some IFTTT recipes (new RSS items, Boxoh package tracking) and some direct notifications from my PC to my iPhone (using Growl on the PC) and it works fine. The notification is enough for me and I never need to use the app or click through a notification to some link, so your mileage may vary depending on what you want to do. Worth a try at the price of "free."

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Diptic is good for photo collage type things.

There is no way not to read that as Dicpic.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

onionradish posted:

@Kheldarn, kawaiiest, taco show RE notifications:

I've been using Boxcar for about a year -- there absolutely was a period during the acquisition where alerts weren't going through, and it looked pretty iffy. That seems to have been resolved, and I haven't had an issue with it since then.

I use Boxcar for some IFTTT recipes (new RSS items, Boxoh package tracking) and some direct notifications from my PC to my iPhone (using Growl on the PC) and it works fine. The notification is enough for me and I never need to use the app or click through a notification to some link, so your mileage may vary depending on what you want to do. Worth a try at the price of "free."

Yeah, I use Pushover for essentially the same stuff, but I use it a lot. I have a ton of IFTTT recipes set up to send me notifications, both regular and high priority (ignores silent mode), and a lot of them link to web sites, i.e. I have a recipe set up to notify me of strong earthquakes in a specific area and it has a link to a page that has more information about the quake. A lot of the stuff that I have set up is time-sensitive (like woot sales for specific items), so reliability is a big deal to me. I must have tried Boxcar right as the problems were going on because it was such a catastrophic failure for me. It's good to know that it's better now, though I think I'm sticking with Pushover anyway since it works so well for me.

Ugh God I'm such a :spergin:

e:

Erwin posted:

There is no way not to read that as Dicpic.
So glad I wasn't the only one.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I use Pushover as well and the reliability and interface are well worth the $5 to me. The makers of Push 4.0 are also coming out with a new app called Faast with rich text notifications that I'm keeping my eyes on as well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

smackfu posted:

Photo Grid is perfect for this, and you can remove or resize the borders as needed.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Google Hangouts just updated with voice calling to and from your Google Voice number. Incoming calls give you an immediate push notification, which is totally awesome.

In fact, I don't even think the Android version of Hangouts has voice integration yet, which is pretty hilarious.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bobfather posted:

Google Hangouts just updated with voice calling to and from your Google Voice number. Incoming calls give you an immediate push notification, which is totally awesome.

In fact, I don't even think the Android version of Hangouts has voice integration yet, which is pretty hilarious.

So I don't need to use Talkatone anymore?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I don't need to use Talkatone anymore?

Indeed, it appears to obviate Talkatone.

I dug inside of the app bundle and it looks like it uses Opus as the codec for voice calls, which is pretty cool. Might even make it usable over LTE.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
So if I just need to talk and text with my GV number do I need to bother with the Google Voice app at all?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I don't think Hangouts will let you send texts. At least not yet.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The current rumor is that when Android 4.4 comes out, it will also do SMS messages.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
In the Spotify app, you can skip songs by swiping the the album art to the left. This is great for when you want to skip songs without looking at the phone, such as when driving.

The default music app does not do this. Is there a different, easy way to skip songs that I've missed? Or maybe an alternate music playing app?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kheldarn posted:

The current rumor is that when Android 4.4 comes out, it will also do SMS messages.

Yeah the idea is for Hangouts to become the Android version of iMessages with Google Voice integrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Slice got to be garbage with its recent update. I need a new package tracking app and since I can't think of any that work similar to Slice, I'm open to the ones that you input the tracking info manually I guess.

• Locked thread